• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan's Top 30 Best Selling Games So Far In 2020

Bragr

Banned
Animal Crossing, 5.7 million in Japan alone, absolutely mindblowing numbers. Complete Nintendo domination overall.

1. NSW: Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo) - 5.724.253
2. NSW: Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo) - 1.080.631
3. PS4: Final Fantasy VII Remake (Square) - 932.821
4. NSW: Pokemon Sword / Shield (Pokemon Co)- 750.202
5. NSW: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) - 511.746
6. PS4: Ghost of Tsushima (Sony) - 395.813
7. NSW: Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics (Nintendo) -381.612
8. NSW: Smash Ultimate (Nintendo) - 377.665
9. NSW: Minecraft (Microsoft) - 359.349
10. NSW: Splatoon 2 (Nintendo) - 311.120
11. NSW: Super Mario Party (Nintendo) - 291.221
12. NSW: Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training for Nintendo Switch (Nintendo) - 263.125
13. NSW: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX (Pokemon Co.) - 259.513
14. PS4: Resident Evil 3 (Capcom) - 258.676
15. NSW: Paper Mario: The Origami King (Nintendo) - 252.875
16. PS4: Yakuza 7: Like a Dragon (Sega) - 243.769
17. NSW: eBaseball Powerful Pro Baseball 2020 (Konami) - 224.358
18. PS4: The Last of Us Part II (Sony) - 222.943
19. NSW: Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Nintendo) - 210.136
20. PS4: eBaseball Powerful Pro Baseball 2020 (Konami) - 180.243
21. NSW: Luigi's Mansion 3 (Nintendo) - 179.438
22. NSW: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo) - 168.462
23. NSW: Super Mario Maker 2 (Nintendo) - 165.461
24. PS4: Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme Vs. MaxiBoost On (Bandai Namco Games) - 161.014
25. PS4: Nioh 2 (Koei Tecmo) - 156.772
26. NSW: Fishing Spirits (Bandai Namco) - 153.603
27. NSW: New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (Nintendo) - 151.843
28. PS4: Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers (Atlus) - 149.898
29. PS4: Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot (Bandai) - 149.654
30. NSW: Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games: Tokyo 2020 (Sega) - 138.550

Rac3r

What’s the source? I know death stranding sold around 200k in Japan but I don’t see it on the list.

f02329833d6f54fa2d68cecad2e2f518.gif

FEATURE LENGTH

lachesis

GOT did really well. I think previous best seller for PS4 on Sony's 1st party game was Knack, followed by Spider Man (over 300k)

But that Animal Crossing #... I mean, wow. 5M in Japan only?

Codes 208

Glad to see Kakarot (kind of spiritual remake of legacy of goku) make the list.
Wow, Persona 5 Royal didn't even get to the Top 30

Edit: Nevermind, it was released in 2019 there
Well actually This is the general game sales for 2020. mario kart 8 and splatoon 2 came out years ago in japan and they still made the list.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Ring Fit pretty shocking, was a slow burner but its still going. Too bad Labo didn't catch on like it.

MK8 on 500K? hmmm Nintendo might actually be pushed to release MK 9 now.

Astral Dog

Ring Fit pretty shocking, was a slow burner but its still going. Too bad Labo didn't catch on like it.

MK8 on 500K? hmmm Nintendo might actually be pushed to release MK 9 now.
Labo was just Nintendo selling a piece of cardboard, Ring Fit is Nintendo selling a fun training program with RPG quality graphics that apparently works and has done wonders

Last edited:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Solid list of titles.

While Sony has some good presence on that list (Good on GOT!) it paints an interesting picture of the market over there. Persona and Final Fantasy are locked in on PS4/5 but I do have to wonder if the tide is shifting.

Fbh

Kinda curious about Yakuza. How are those numbers compared to 6 or 0?
(Too lazy to go look it up right now)

lol no god of war nor spidey
Why were you expecting a western focused/made game from early 2018 to be one of the top seller in Japan in 2020?

Esca

Ring Fit is simply amazing. When I first saw it I thought it was gimmicky shit, but I could see a case for it being one of the best games on the Switch.
I really like it. Makes my fat ass exercise and not dread doing it

Vawn

Banned
I really like it. Makes my fat ass exercise and not dread doing it

I work out with weights 6 days a week, plus cardio. I enjoy it. Ring Fit Adventure is a chore and is less fun to me than actually just working out.

If you want a game that will give you exercise without feeling like you're actually working out (similar to playing pick-up game sports), play Beat Saber. That game, played right, is great cardio and is so much fun to actually play.

BlackM1st

Banned
Japan is so up its own ass it's not even funny. Country stuck in 90s. So weird. While with their neighbors in S.Korea it's all about PC and mobile.

Esca

I work out with weights 6 days a week, plus cardio. I enjoy it. Ring Fit Adventure is a chore and is less fun to me than actually just working out.

If you want a game that will give you exercise without feeling like you're actually working out (similar to playing pick-up game sports), play Beat Saber. That game, played right, is great cardio and is so much fun to actually play.

Beat Saber is a workout for sure. I've played it a decent amount at my friends. I get daily migraines so I avoid it due to that. But excellent suggestion.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
He said Xbox not MS. A game sold on Xbox, just to make it clear.

Of course he's being sarcastic, since Xbone sells a handful consoles each week. So no need to answer.
I realized after posting, however you cannot just delete post without trace : D

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ
I wonder how these numbers compare to the US or UK. Japan has been propped up as the must have market for so long that its a bit surprising to see how unimpressive the vast majority of their sales numbers are.

BabyYoda

Banned
Those numbers are really low for a country with Japan's population, I guess most are playing mobile games now...

Bodomism

Banned
GOT did really well. I think previous best seller for PS4 on Sony's 1st party game was Knack, followed by Spider Man (over 300k)

But that Animal Crossing #... I mean, wow. 5M in Japan only?
Last shipment number plus digital sales was around 7 million units and it's probably around 8-9 million units by now.

Bodomism

Banned
I wonder how these numbers compare to the US or UK. Japan has been propped up as the must have market for so long that its a bit surprising to see how unimpressive the vast majority of their sales numbers are.
Japan sales doesn't include digital sales, for example Animal Crossing should be around ~8 million units with digital sales inclusion.

UK sales numbers is not even close lol, I bet Animal Crossing sales alone in Japan is bigger than top 10 best selling games combined there.

Bodomism

Banned
Damn Animal Crossing smashed Pokemon.
Surprised FF7 beat it out too
This is ytd 2020 sales and Pokemon was released last year.
Pokemon already shipped around ~5 million units in Japan alone and physical sales in Japan is around 3.7 million units.

Pokemon 2nd year of sales is going to overtake FF7R in its 1st year of sales which a big disgrace to the most hyped Final Fantasy Remake of all time.

Last edited:

Bodomism

Banned
How does there digital space look like.
Animal Crossing has sold around 3 million units digitally based on Nintendo shipments data in Japan.

Smash Ultimate and Pokemon SwSh have sold around ~1.5 million units digitally based on last quarter shipments data.

Japan sales doesn't include digital sales, for example Animal Crossing should be around ~8 million units with digital sales inclusion.

UK sales numbers is not even close lol, I bet Animal Crossing sales alone in Japan is bigger than top 10 best selling games combined there.
Animal Crossing is definitely a beast. My kids got a copy of it too, lol. I guess it's more the surprise that titles that sell millions worldwide like TLOU2 don't do that well there. Actually kinda surprised that there isn't more of an effort to mimic the success of titles like animal crossing there, but on other platforms.

Paltheos

Damn, I was hoping Hajimari no Kiseki would show up on there but it was released only a month ago and garnered around 85k sales in week 1. Probably in top 30 by year end is my guess.

Top Bottom