• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Rucker/HuffPo:How Can Black People Trust Hillary Clinton After the 08 Campaign?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. That was a skillfull move by Obama, asking Clinton to be part of his administration. Not only did she bring the army of Clinton insiders with her, she wouldnt be running against him in 2012.

Why would she run against an incumbant president?

I've been curious about the black support for Hillary Clinton as well. I can't imagine personally being black and supporting her. But whatever.

I guess it's short memories and the residual goodwill of Bill, plus the general name recognition.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I've been curious about the black support for Hillary Clinton as well. I can't imagine personally being black and supporting her. But whatever.

I guess it's short memories and the residual goodwill of Bill, plus the general name recognition.

Yes, please keep subtly insulting us.

Dabanton

It was actually hardcore Hillary supporters (Hillaryis44 types) who are now Trump supporters (not kidding).

Obviously if this were an issue Obama wouldn't want anything to do with her, but he clearly trusts her.

I wouldn't say he trusts her more like in politics, you like to keep enemies close to you and busy.

Why wouldn't people of all colors be concerned with voting for a candidate that has tact and common decency. This isn't about what black people think, it is about seeing the way Hillary has treated black people in the past, which should concern everyone:black, white, etc.

It absolutely is. There has been article after article, rant after rant about people bewildered about how could it be possible that black voters could vote for Hillary Clinton over Bernie Sanders. I mean, I don't think you are doing it intentionally but it essentially what you are doing right now. "Why are black people voting for Hillary when Bernie marched with MLK!!".. There are black Bernie supporters, obviously.. And his history and his message has worked for many black voters. But we wouldn't be talking about this if it wasn't for how Bernie is losing largely because of just how many black voters have gotten behind Hillary, and how the percentages have essentially forced Bernie to concede the Southern states.

People who want Bernie to win have searched for every possible reason and explanation about this other than actually listening to the voters themselves and what they have to say. And again I don't really know what to tell you other than direct you towards the people who are voting for her and what their reasoning is. Because that is exactly what this is about.

jtb

Banned
I wouldn't say he trusts her more like in politics, you like to keep enemies close to you and busy.

Hillary is definitely more ally than friend to Obama, but that doesn't mean you can't also trust your allies. They have like goals, have worked together, and he sees her as the steward of his legacy and natural successor.

foxtrot3d

Banned

Right so you give them one of the most important cabinet positions during a time of War...

Damn, being an enemy of Barrack Obama seems to really pay off.

Yup. Prop 8 in California.

White America have had 300+ years worth of responsibility dodging and blame assignment skill point accumulation.

Black America never stood a chance with Prop 8. Bernites will blame Black America for his loss. Black people will roll their eyes and continue on.

SecretDan

A mudslide of fun!
I've been curious about the black support for Hillary Clinton as well.I can't imagine personally being black and supporting her. But whatever.

This is so condescending.

Do you not realize this?

Real Talk? I'm already bracing myself for the shitstorm :(

I don't visit Reddit or 4chan so I'm really just hoping GAF OT stays readable

If people start going down a 'blame the black people' route here, they will get banned so damn fast, so i can't imagine readability will suffer much.

I'm not meaning it in a condescending way, but I see how it comes off that way. For that I apologize. But I don't think it's a stretch to say that Hillary's popularity with most groups is due to her name recognition. I think when you look especially at age support that is clear.

Honestly I was just really insulted by the way Hillary treated Obama during that campaign and I haven't forgiven her.

Anyway the idea that black people should be "blamed" for Hillary winning is ridiculous. She was the presumptive nominee for a reason. I just hold a grudge about her attempts to other Obama.

besada

Banned
Let's attempt to stay on topic. If you don't have anything to contribute about the actual topic, feel free to relocate.

Dabanton

Right so you give them one of the most important cabinet positions during a time of War...

Damn, being an enemy of Barrack Obama seems to really pay off.

'Trust' in a political sense is we can work together but I don't really like you that much.

People have to work with others who they straight up dislike or don't particularly care for all the time. What makes politics any different? He obviously trusts her to do her job well.

Outside of that they will probably never be friends.

nynt9

It absolutely is. There has been article after article, rant after rant about people bewildered about how could it be possible that black voters could vote for Hillary Clinton over Bernie Sanders. I mean, I don't think you are doing it intentionally but it essentially what you are doing right now. "Why are black people voting for Hillary when Bernie marched with MLK!!".. There are black Bernie supporters, obviously.. And his history and his message has worked for many black voters. But we wouldn't be talking about this if it wasn't for how Bernie is losing largely because of just how many black voters have gotten behind Hillary, and how the percentages have essentially forced Bernie to concede the Southern states.

People who want Bernie to win have searched for every possible reason and explanation about this other than actually listening to the voters themselves and what they have to say. And again I don't really know what to tell you other than direct you towards the people who are voting for her and what their reasoning is. Because that is exactly what this is about.

Then can someone explain to me the support among the black voter base Hillary has guaranteed? Because from my outsider perspective I'm not seeing a very strong relation between her platform and what I perceive what groups like BLM are asking for. She isn't terrible, but I don't see her come out strongly enough on relevant topics to have that demographic basically on lock. She just seems like a regular democratic candidate. Way better than the republicans. But not noticeably better than her direct competitor within her party. At least from my understanding of her platform.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Then can someone explain to me the support among the black voter base Hillary has guaranteed? Because from my outsider perspective I'm not seeing a very strong relation between her platform and what I perceive what groups like BLM are asking for. She isn't terrible, but I don't see her come out strongly enough on relevant topics to have that demographic basically on lock. She just seems like a regular democratic candidate. Way better than the republicans. But not noticeably better than her direct competitor within her party. At least from my understanding of her platform.
Basically: Your average voter doesn't care as much as you do.

They know the Clinton name, they liked Bill Clinton, they don't know (or care) who this other dude is. It's as simple as that.

I'm sure there are people on this message board who have looked at both of their records and picked one or the other, but the majority of people - white and black - aren't as invested in this primary campaign as you.

Basically: Your average voter doesn't care as much as you do.

They know the Clinton name, they liked Bill Clinton, they don't know (or care) who this other dude is. It's as simple as that.

I'm sure there are people on this message board who have looked at both of their records and picked one or the other, but the majority of people - white and black - aren't as invested in this primary campaign as you.

Sanders is also flat out not running much of a campaign in large minority states.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom