• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jackie Chan reveals past struggles with sex workers, drink driving and gambling in new book

https://www.scmp.com/sport/other-sp...-past-struggles-sex-workers-drink-driving-and

Martial arts hero and screen superstar Jackie Chan has revealed his dark side in an explosive memoir that hits the shelves on December 4.

The star of The Foreigner and Rush Hour franchises opens up on his past in a tell-all book that talks in detail about a troubled past which included splurging on alcohol, gambling and sleeping with prostitutes.

He also reveals he was an abusive father, one time throwing his toddler son, Jaycee, across the room and fortunately into a sofa during a fight with his wife, Joan Lin Feng-jiao.

In the book Never Grow Up, the 64-year-old Hong Kong-born actor admits to being a “total jerk” blowing all his money when he was a stuntman in Hong Kong.

Chan’s book is released just days after the news his estranged 19-year-old daughter, Etta Ng Chok-lam, had married her 31-year-old Canadian internet celebrity girlfriend Andi Autumn.

However, the book fails to mention Ng at all.

Chan, who picked up a lifetime achievement Oscar in 2016, admits in his book he was a “bastard” and that he had vowed to change his ways, blaming his behaviour on his insecurities and his immaturity.

The book also revealed he drove drunk “all the time” and he admits to once crashing his Porsche and then his Mercedes-Benz on the same day.

“I started to carry large amounts of cash at all times. After you live in poverty, cash gives you a sense of security. I like having lots of people around me and every meal was with a big gang,” the Daily Mail quoted him as saying.

“Around 10 years ago I spent US$2 million in one year paying for other people’s meals. I gave out extravagant gifts too; watches, cars, custom-made leather jackets, cases of expensive wine.”

Chan also admits to cheating on his wife, Lin, and having an affair with Elaine Wu, the 1990 Miss Asia, who would become Etta’s mother.

Although his turbulent past life is no secret in Hong Kong, it’s the first time Chan has discussed it in so much detail.

Internet users on social media mostly applauded Chan’s honesty with one saying it was a “brave admission of a kung fool legend”.

“Sometimes it’s more about being honest with ourselves. Just talking to a therapist or something about these kinds of things doesn’t make it as real as sharing these things publicly,” said Nick Soloff. “He’s taking ownership and responsibility for his past. You have to give him credit for that. Most people never do.”

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Jackie Chan is a great comedian, but he actually prefers his more serious tones. I knew that there was a darker part to his persona, but like Teflon it somehow never really affected him.

Whether he should have released this book, i dunno. It is a sign of honesty, but at the same time, some things are better left unsaid and time should have been spent not doing the things he mentions.

Wow, that's interesting. I remember him mentioning in a documentary that his father warned him against these same things (alcohol, drugs, prostitution). I guess you can't really expect someone to stay away from them after making it big.

I hope he doesn't suffer some sort of backlash after sharing these tumultous stories.

pramod

Banned
Had one kid out of wedlock.
Hookers.

Seems kind of run of the mill or even benign compared to the scandals of average American celebrities.

waxer

It's not like it hasn't always been reported on in China and the like. Everybody knows. Just new to the west I guess. Which says more about Hollywood than anything lol I wouldn't say writing a book about common knowledge is very curageous at all.

Wow, its both upsetting and enlightening to see the darkness behind this smile.

story_half_width.jpg

Power to him for being brave enough to admit his past. I hope it brings him the peace he sounds like he needs.

Last edited:

Stitch

Gold Member
Most of this isn't really new. He was drunk on stage a few times. Also got in lots of fights when he was younger. One time he punched a guy and had his tooth stuck in his fist a few days. Thought it was his bone but one day it fell out lol

Alfen Dave

Had one kid out of wedlock.
Hookers.

Seems kind of run of the mill or even benign compared to the scandals of average American celebrities.

Exactly what I thought, the biggest and most revered stars of Hollywodd have all went through it and even worse; whether it's Johnny Depp, Downey Jr, Brad Pitt, they all dit it and even worse.

Alcohol problems, Hard Drug addictions, loads of money spent on cookers..these people have loads of money to spend on vices and outlets that makes them forget their rich poeple issues...

Alfen Dave

How does one struggle with prostitutes? Just stop and find free sex.

When you're a multi-millionaire, having sex with ''non-professional'' acquaintances, fans or strangers can prove to be risky since lots of ladies can file for non consented sexual harassment lawsuits (Ansari's Case for example) or ''accidentally'' fall pregnant to get that monthly child support millionaire cheque ( his daughter Ngo was clearly undesired and unplanned with a mother he had no intent of staying with, it was a one night stand type of relationship)....

Leatherface

I love Jackie Chan. He is probably the one celebrity I would geek out in front of if I ever met him. That being said, it does sadden me that the "real" Jackie Chan has so many demons. I know we all have flaws but damn Jackie! Still, I'm glad he can at least be honest with himself and so open about it with the public. I think this is a good thing, especially to be able to move on.

BANGS

Banned
Absolutely nothing wrong with drinking, gambling, or hookers. If anything that stuff just solidifies my love of him more. But the drunk driving and cheating on his wife are a concern, and the baby chucking is just insanity... but good on him for admitting these things and being the bigger better man as usual. One more thing...

zeioIIDX

He will on resetera and it will be a 35 page thread with lots of bans.
For real though. Man, I forgot how refreshing it is to jump on GAF and browse threads and even comment without fear of being ganged up on or banned at the drop of a dime.

I think it really does take a lot for a person to go out and admit all the negative and shameful things he/she has done in life. I hope it's a weight off his chest. Can't say I will ever know what it's like to go from rags to riches or know how that would affect my mindset and behavior.

Top Bottom