• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Its Time To Be Honest About Next Gen Multiplatform Games

Tqaulity

First, let me say off the bat that everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I am not trying to bash anyone for their choices. But now that we are just about a week away from both the PS5 and Xbox Series consoles being out and we have a wealth more information on what they will offer, we have to be honest about something:
1. The PS5 and Xbox Series X will be much closer in performance than most people were led to believe based on the "theoretical" specs.
2. The PS5 is bringing much more to the table to enhance the gameplay experience for multiplats

Regarding point #1, many have tried to emphasis for months now that theoretical specs such as TFLOPS are meaningless and do not necessarily map to real world performance. We're seeing that in action with Nvidia's new GPU line for example (RTX 3080 = 30FLOPS but is nowhere near 2x the ~14TFLOP RTX 2080Ti) and there is an endless number of examples that demonstrate this. Yet people continue to hold onto the notion that the Xbox Series X is the superior console compared to the PS5...with literally NO real evidence to support this. Yes, we are a week from launch and we now know the target specs for many multiplatform games coming to both consoles. EVERY game that has been announced for both consoles to this point are in fact targeting the same resolution and framerate. I repeat: heading up to launch, there isn't a single case of a multiplatform game that has a higher target spec with regards to resolution and framerate on the Xbox Series X than the PS5 counterpart! Go down the list: Call of Duty Cold War, Dirt 5, DMC V, Assassin' Creed Valhalla, MK11, Watch Dogs Legion etc and they see PS5 version matching the Xbox Series X versions in resolution and framerate. If there is a 120fps version coming to Series X, it's 120fps on PS5 as well (Rainbow Six Siege, Dirt 5). If it's less than native 4K on PS5 (i.e. "dynamic 4K"), guess what? It's also "dynamic 4K" on Series X as well (e.g. MK11, Watch Dogs Legion).

Now before folks start saying that the target specs are meaningless and we won't really see the differences until the systems are out and sites like Digital Foundry do their detailed analysis, let me point out 2 things to counter that:
  1. The target specs actually say a lot about the power difference between 2 systems. Let me remind you guys that it didn't take Digital Foundry analysis to know that when the PS4 pro and Xbox One X were released, most multiplatform games targeted native 4K on One X but only 1440p on PS4 Pro. It also didn't take a pixel counting tool to know that several major 3rd party games targeted lower resolutions on the Xbox One when compared to the PS4 version back in 2013 (i.e. Battlefield 4 900p vs 720p or ACIV 1080p vs 900p). The target specs are indicative of any major power gaps as well as the developer's ability to harness the power in a real game. Again, PS5 is matching all targets for Xbox Series X thus far.
  2. IF it really requires a Digital Foundry analysis to spot the differences between the 2, then my point is already made :). Most people will never notice minor resolution or framerate differences with their naked eye while playing a game (as we have seen already with many PS4/PS4 pro vs Xbox One/X games...and the difference in spec is larger in those cases). Nobody is playing a game on 2 screens with both console versions side by side and a zoomed in view with their face 1 foot away from the screen to spot differences. And in fact, even if those difference do exist at that level of detail the vast majority of gamers will not notice nor care.
Because of my points above, I would submit that any perf advantages when comparing multiplats between the two are effectively moot and irrelevant (at least for now). If you were trying to decide which console to play a game on based purely on technical performance (not including factors like controller preference, friends lists etc), then there is no basis to choose either platform over the other. In other words, both consoles will offer equally amazing experiences :messenger_beaming:.

However, that's not the full story. One console is offering a number of tangible advantages that will enhance all games including 3rd party multiplats and provide a competitive advantage over the competition. Yes, I am saying that the PS5 is bringing more to the table to allow for a superior overall experience when playing a game over the Xbox Series X. Let us count the ways:
  • PS5 SSD - is 2x faster than Xbox Series X. This should mean even faster loading times than the already fast Xbox Series X. If you like the speedy loading on Series X, then this should be a solid advantage for PS5
  • DualSense controller - offers so many unique features that again if a differentiator compared to Series X. I always said that the numerous features of the Dualsense will offer nice advantages for multiplats and now that we have heard the overwhelming positive impressions, it's clear that playing a game on PS5 will be a very different experience than playing on an Xbox due to the Dualsense. The haptic feedback and adaptive triggers appear to be genuine game changers and nearly all the 3rd party games at launch are supporting it
  • Tempest 3D audio engine - This is another genuine differentiator for PS5. While many have pointed out that the Xbox Series X does have some impressive dedicated hardware for audio as well, notice that Microsoft themselves have been virtually silent about it and that no developer or reviewer have even highlighted it. Meanwhile, Sony has pushed it nearly as much as the Dualsense as a key aspect to the next gen experience and as an audiophile myself I am stoked that we will see audio evolve as much as the visuals typically do in the next gen :messenger_beaming:. We've heard many developers discuss the tangible benefits of the PS5 audio engine and simply have that much dedicated audio hardware means that so many possibilities are now available from an audio design perspective. The fact that this tech is not limited to only those with specific and/or expensive hardware to hear the difference is crucial. All gamers with any headphone/TV/soundbar will be able to hear the advantages right off the bat. We are even now hearing how you can get ambisonic audio in 7.1 surround from any pair of headphones direct from the Dualsense controller due to Tempest! Amazing!
  • High Speed USB-C and USB-A ports - . This is something that many have glossed over but the PS5 has higher performing USB ports compared to the Xbox Series X. What does this mean? Well, when you have to store your games on that external HDD (due to the admittedly limited amount of storage), you can extract even more performance allowing for faster transfers of those games back onto the internal SSD on PS5. Yep this means shorter wait times for your games to transfer back and forth. Try to connect one of those external SSDs for example that promise 1-2GB/s speeds and see if you get anywhere near that speed on the Series X via USB.
  • Wifi 6 - this won't be beneficial to everyone but again PS5 is going a bit further by offering the more advanced and faster WIFI standard. Like the faster SSD, this has the potential to dramatically speed up download times for new content from the PS5 store as well as game patches etc (if you have the compatible network hardware).
  • PS5 UI Features - the PS5 UI allows for developers to take advantage of unique features that cannot be replicated on Xbox. The keys ones (that we know about) are the Activities and Guided Help. For some, these features will enhance the game by allowing for a more immediate and direct gameplay experience while removing frustration when playing certain parts of games.
  • PS5 Social Features - we now know that the PS5 allows for seamless party integration while playing your game even allowing for PIP views of friends games etc. Also, the PS5 takes the "share" concept further by proving a dedicated "create" button to produce more advanced videos and live stream complete with background removal (if you have the PS5 camera).

This is only what we know of now as there may be even a few more "differentiators" when it comes to the PS5 UI and feature set. However, I think my point is clear. Whether or not you personally value these additional features (you can't please everyone), it is a fact that PS5 is bringing many more tangible advantages to the table that collectively can make for a much more immersive and satisfying experience when playing games beyond just the visuals and frame rate. People's mileage may vary in how much benefit they see in each of these features but the point is that if I'm looking to decide where to play my next game between PS5 and Xbox Series X, there is a lot more to the PS5 experience than that on Xbox. In fact, other than the theoretical performance (which is effectively nullified at launch), the only unique feature that Xbox seems to have at this point is quick resume which is nice but it is highly likely PS5 has a similar feature as well (we'll find out on Nov 6th). Of course, many will prefer Xbox due to their familiarity, preference for controller, place where there friends are, gamepass and that is fine. I'm mainly talking more objectively regarding system features that gamers can take advantage of.

Again this isn't to bash the Xbox Series X console. It is undoubtedly powerful and has a lot of potential. But I have been dumbfounded when I still see so many people say that they are reserving multiplats for Xbox Series X over PS5. Really? Why? I really don't get that logic and I have not heard of any reason for that other than they expect it to have better performance. But again, everything we have seen thus far point to that not being the case anytime soon (except maybe very minor advantages not perceivable by most during gameplay). Meanwhile, PS5 is bringing so much more potentially game enhancing features to the table that given the choice, I can't see how one could not choose PS5 (again outside of personal preference which everyone is entitled to). Power is about much more than just resolution and framerate.

Would love to hear your thoughts and reasons for your preferences (we'll find out a lot more very soon :messenger_beaming:)!

Ask casuals to explain what CPU + GPU are, and then what TFLOPS are.

And we will get the answer: almost nobody knows or cares

Unless people have 2 identical TVs and PS5 + xsex + same game on both, people dont even see the differences and many wont even then.

But if they can feel and hear the difference, that could be a different thing.

Graphics are already so good that majority of gamers dont really care or notice improvements probably.

Those whom have preached for months how xbox versions are so much better will 99% surely get disappointed in the end :messenger_savoring:

Now show casuals actual next gen exclusives that use the "full" power of the system = that they will understand

Is it? When XSX has full support for Atmos?

We will see (or hear), but both having 3D audio capabilities doesn't mean that both have them at similar level. If one went with off the shelf components + licence and one used years to engineer their audio features, they probably are not the same. Do people notice it, that the time will tell.

Last edited:

Blood Borne

There will most certainly be a difference, but I’ll be mightily surprised if the difference is bigger than PS4 Pro and Xbox One X.

Also, I have a feeling that the PS5 SSD is overhyped. Its performance will be the same as XSX.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
We will see (or hear), but both having 3D audio capabilities doesn't mean that both have them at similar level. If one went with off the shelf components + licence and one used years to engineer their audio features, they probably are not the same. Do people notice it, that the time will tell.

That is certainly one way to look at it. The other is that Microsoft is using a standard proven technology, that has been around for a while, and is designed by the company that specializes in this and has for decades. On the other hand, Sony has unproven, proprietary technology it developed in house.

I mean, Sony's tech doesn't even work with speakers right now. In my mind, from an audiophile POV, this is an unqualified negative for PS5. That may change as it improves and when we see the capabilities, but right now, clear win for XSX.

SLESS

There will most certainly be a difference, but I’ll mightily surprised if the difference is bigger than PS4 Pro and Xbox One X.

Also, I have a feeling that the PS5 SSD is overhyped. Its performance will be the same as XSX.

Coming from a storage back ground I can tell you your statement regarding SSD is incorrect.

The PS5 SSD will blast in first and third party titles.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
The 3D audio argument is getting ridiculous. Microsoft has had Sonic, which is free, for awhile now.

There is no doubt Sony's implementation "could" be better, but this notion that its somehow this magical next gen thing only one side truly supports is stupid.

Rolla

Banned
This thread sounds like a PS5 marketing campaign.

We don't know if that GPU advantage will be a reality or not. Certainly won't tell this year.

In the end, the only thing that's going to matter is these games. Not PS5's Wifi6, Tempest audio, or even the SSD.

The reason Sony sold more PS5's in the first 12 hours than they did for the first 12 weeks of PS4, is the IP.

It is the only thing that translates.

Vognerful

First, let me say off the bat that everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I am not trying to bash anyone for their choices. But now that we are just about a week away from both the PS5 and Xbox Series consoles being out and we have a wealth more information on what they will offer, we have to be honest about something:
1. The PS5 and Xbox Series X will be much closer in performance than most people were led to believe based on the "theoretical" specs.
2. The PS5 is bringing much more to the table to enhance the gameplay experience for multiplats

Regarding point #1, many have tried to emphasis for months now that theoretical specs such as TFLOPS are meaningless and do not necessarily map to real world performance. We're seeing that in action with Nvidia's new GPU line for example (RTX 3080 = 30FLOPS but is nowhere near 2x the ~14TFLOP RTX 2080Ti) and there is an endless number of examples that demonstrate this. Yet people continue to hold onto the notion that the Xbox Series X is the superior console compared to the PS5...with literally NO real evidence to support this. Yes, we are a week from launch and we now know the target specs for many multiplatform games coming to both consoles. EVERY game that has been announced for both consoles to this point are in fact targeting the same resolution and framerate. I repeat: heading up to launch, there isn't a single case of a multiplatform game that has a higher target spec with regards to resolution and framerate on the Xbox Series X than the PS5 counterpart! Go down the list: Call of Duty Cold War, Dirt 5, DMC V, Assassin' Creed Valhalla, MK11, Watch Dogs Legion etc and they see PS5 version matching the Xbox Series X versions in resolution and framerate. If there is a 120fps version coming to Series X, it's 120fps on PS5 as well (Rainbow Six Siege, Dirt 5). If it's less than native 4K on PS5 (i.e. "dynamic 4K"), guess what? It's also "dynamic 4K" on Series X as well (e.g. MK11, Watch Dogs Legion).

Now before folks start saying that the target specs are meaningless and we won't really see the differences until the systems are out and sites like Digital Foundry do their detailed analysis, let me point out 2 things to counter that:
  1. The target specs actually say a lot about the power difference between 2 systems. Let me remind you guys that it didn't take Digital Foundry analysis to know that when the PS4 pro and Xbox One X were released, most multiplatform games targeted native 4K on One X but only 1440p on PS4 Pro. It also didn't take a pixel counting tool to know that several major 3rd party games targeted lower resolutions on the Xbox One when compared to the PS4 version back in 2013 (i.e. Battlefield 4 900p vs 720p or ACIV 1080p vs 900p). The target specs are indicative of any major power gaps as well as the developer's ability to harness the power in a real game. Again, PS5 is matching all targets for Xbox Series X thus far.
  2. IF it really requires a Digital Foundry analysis to spot the differences between the 2, then my point is already made :). Most people will never notice minor resolution or framerate differences with their naked eye while playing a game (as we have seen already with many PS4/PS4 pro vs Xbox One/X games...and the difference in spec is larger in those cases). Nobody is playing a game on 2 screens with both console versions side by side and a zoomed in view with their face 1 foot away from the screen to spot differences. And in fact, even if those difference do exist at that level of detail the vast majority of gamers will not notice nor care.
Because of my points above, I would submit that any perf advantages when comparing multiplats between the two are effectively moot and irrelevant (at least for now). If you were trying to decide which console to play a game on based purely on technical performance (not including factors like controller preference, friends lists etc), then there is no basis to choose either platform over the other. In other words, both consoles will offer equally amazing experiences :messenger_beaming:.

However, that's not the full story. One console is offering a number of tangible advantages that will enhance all games including 3rd party multiplats and provide a competitive advantage over the competition. Yes, I am saying that the PS5 is bringing more to the table to allow for a superior overall experience when playing a game over the Xbox Series X. Let us count the ways:
  • PS5 SSD - is 2x faster than Xbox Series X. This should mean even faster loading times than the already fast Xbox Series X. If you like the speedy loading on Series X, then this should be a solid advantage for PS5
  • DualSense controller - offers so many unique features that again if a differentiator compared to Series X. I always said that the numerous features of the Dualsense will offer nice advantages for multiplats and now that we have heard the overwhelming positive impressions, it's clear that playing a game on PS5 will be a very different experience than playing on an Xbox due to the Dualsense. The haptic feedback and adaptive triggers appear to be genuine game changers and nearly all the 3rd party games at launch are supporting it
  • Tempest 3D audio engine - This is another genuine differentiator for PS5. While many have pointed out that the Xbox Series X does have some impressive dedicated hardware for audio as well, notice that Microsoft themselves have been virtually silent about it and that no developer or reviewer have even highlighted it. Meanwhile, Sony has pushed it nearly as much as the Dualsense as a key aspect to the next gen experience and as an audiophile myself I am stoked that we will see audio evolve as much as the visuals typically do in the next gen :messenger_beaming:. We've heard many developers discuss the tangible benefits of the PS5 audio engine and simply have that much dedicated audio hardware means that so many possibilities are now available from an audio design perspective. The fact that this tech is not limited to only those with specific and/or expensive hardware to hear the difference is crucial. All gamers with any headphone/TV/soundbar will be able to hear the advantages right off the bat. We are even now hearing how you can get ambisonic audio in 7.1 surround from any pair of headphones direct from the Dualsense controller due to Tempest! Amazing!
  • High Speed USB-C and USB-A ports - . This is something that many have glossed over but the PS5 has higher performing USB ports compared to the Xbox Series X. What does this mean? Well, when you have to store your games on that external HDD (due to the admittedly limited amount of storage), you can extract even more performance allowing for faster transfers of those games back onto the internal SSD on PS5. Yep this means shorter wait times for your games to transfer back and forth. Try to connect one of those external SSDs for example that promise 1-2GB/s speeds and see if you get anywhere near that speed on the Series X via USB.
  • Wifi 6 - this won't be beneficial to everyone but again PS5 is going a bit further by offering the more advanced and faster WIFI standard. Like the faster SSD, this has the potential to dramatically speed up download times for new content from the PS5 store as well as game patches etc (if you have the compatible network hardware).
  • PS5 UI Features - the PS5 UI allows for developers to take advantage of unique features that cannot be replicated on Xbox. The keys ones (that we know about) are the Activities and Guided Help. For some, these features will enhance the game by allowing for a more immediate and direct gameplay experience while removing frustration when playing certain parts of games.
  • PS5 Social Features - we now know that the PS5 allows for seamless party integration while playing your game even allowing for PIP views of friends games etc. Also, the PS5 takes the "share" concept further by proving a dedicated "create" button to produce more advanced videos and live stream complete with background removal (if you have the PS5 camera).

This is only what we know of now as there may be even a few more "differentiators" when it comes to the PS5 UI and feature set. However, I think my point is clear. Whether or not you personally value these additional features (you can't please everyone), it is a fact that PS5 is bringing many more tangible advantages to the table that collectively can make for a much more immersive and satisfying experience when playing games beyond just the visuals and frame rate. People's mileage may vary in how much benefit they see in each of these features but the point is that if I'm looking to decide where to play my next game between PS5 and Xbox Series X, there is a lot more to the PS5 experience than that on Xbox. In fact, other than the theoretical performance (which is effectively nullified at launch), the only unique feature that Xbox seems to have at this point is quick resume which is nice but it is highly likely PS5 has a similar feature as well (we'll find out on Nov 6th). Of course, many will prefer Xbox due to their familiarity, preference for controller, place where there friends are, gamepass and that is fine. I'm mainly talking more objectively regarding system features that gamers can take advantage of.

Again this isn't to bash the Xbox Series X console. It is undoubtedly powerful and has a lot of potential. But I have been dumbfounded when I still see so many people say that they are reserving multiplats for Xbox Series X over PS5. Really? Why? I really don't get that logic and I have not heard of any reason for that other than they expect it to have better performance. But again, everything we have seen thus far point to that not being the case anytime soon (except maybe very minor advantages not perceivable by most during gameplay). Meanwhile, PS5 is bringing so much more potentially game enhancing features to the table that given the choice, I can't see how one could not choose PS5 (again outside of personal preference which everyone is entitled to). Power is about much more than just resolution and framerate.

Would love to hear your thoughts and reasons for your preferences (we'll find out a lot more very soon :messenger_beaming:)!
Bro the time you spent writing this is like 1000x the ps5 loading time.

Get with he new memo please, I have no more time to read this during loading screens:messenger_face_steam::messenger_face_steam::messenger_face_steam::messenger_face_steam::messenger_face_steam::messenger_face_steam::messenger_face_steam::messenger_face_steam::messenger_face_steam:

Thirty7ven

Banned
I think it's perfectly reasonable for someone to opt to play multiplats on their Series X or indeed buy one just for multiplats, based on the expectation that visually it might perform better.

Different people have different criteria, and not everyone has to opt for the Dual Sense and faster loading as these might be meaningless for them.

Last edited:

Fnord

Is it? When XSX has full support for Atmos?

While Atmos support on the XSX is definitely cool, Sony's audio tech potentially has one major advantage - cost. If you want Atmos, you have to have an audio setup that also supports Atmos. Supposedly, Sony's solution doesn't require anything outside of stereo audio devices (headphones at launch, TV speakers/AV speakers at some point in the future). Having not heard Sony's solution (I'm assuming it's going to build on the 3D audio in PSVR, which is exceptional), I can't speak to it, but if it works the way they say it does, it could very well be a differentiator.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
While Atmos support on the XSX is definitely cool, Sony's audio tech potentially has one major advantage - cost. If you want Atmos, you have to have an audio setup that also supports Atmos. Supposedly, Sony's solution doesn't require anything outside of stereo audio devices (headphones at launch, TV speakers/AV speakers at some point in the future). Having not heard Sony's solution (I'm assuming it's going to build on the 3D audio in PSVR, which is exceptional), I can't speak to it, but if it works the way they say it does, it could very well be a differentiator.

WIndows Sonic works on any pair of headphones and is free.

Chukhopops

I'm not going to address all that drivel but I want to point out this one in particular:

Wifi 5 has a theoretical speed limit of 3.5 Gbps, it is VERY unlikely your downloads are ever going to be capped by your Wifi 5 speed unless some dramatic improvements in network occur in the next years. The benefit of Wifi 6 is for wireless VR mostly.

Kssio_Aug

I think we will only be certain about the real differences in performance and visuals between SX and PS5 when the analysis comparisons (specially from DF) starts to roll. Otherwise we will be bathing in a bunch of theories!

Also, I don't really give much of a damn for DualSense functionalities. It does seems nice, but DEFINITELY not something that would make me buy a PS5 or drop Xbox. I care way more for the actual quality of it's components so its analog sticks doesn't malfunction like my 2 Dualshock 4 did.

Chastten

Banned
First post nails it.

Casual friend of mine played unpatched Skyrim on PS3 and while he did mention there was some 'lag' he also said the game played perfectly fine. That game ran on a framerate that gave even the N64 a run for its money, and he barely even noticed anything was off.

LordOfChaos

"I think people are going to be surprised. I'm hearing good things about that PS5. It's not quite dat PSTriple, but it's close" - Jern from DF, in the previous context of them talking about power.

It's going to be closer than the numbers would lead you to expect, and the numbers would already lead you to expect less than half of the PS4-XBO gap. It also retains other advantages like having the same number of ROPs but clocked higher, so a higher pixel rate.

Not saying it'll jump the gap, but it's going to be close, we've already heard a real developer say it's close enough that with a bit more tuning on one platform, they're even.

Last edited:

DJTHEGREY

Please just buy a ps5 and not a Xbox.... You have no reason to want anything that's not Sony.....if you thought you did... It's false. 🤷🏾‍♂️... Think I got it... Series x pre order cancelled

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
I. Don't. Care.

I'm getting both, I don't give a shit which is the most powerful, I'll main on whichever has the comfiest controller, and I'm not gonna waste my energy on this neverending battle for power that some people care way too much about.

Take a breather. It doesn't matter. Games will be gorgeous and fun on both consoles.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

This is simply due to diminishing returns on pixel counts. For the PS4 and XB1 you had 900P vs 1080P and that is visible to the naked eye by anyone, it was visible in edges and texture aliasing. The PS5 and XBSX are going to be using a lot of dynamic resolutions near 4k and there are going to be so many pixels that you are going to need DF to know how the differ, it will be a meaningless distinction to gamers.

Last edited:
Look, I like Sony. I really do.

In fact, I preordered the PS5 and am insanely hyped to play Demon's Souls next week with the Pulse 3D Audio Headset.

... But this post is pretty biased. It would make for a stronger, more objective argument to compare the feature sets between the two consoles and not just what PS5 has that XSX doesn't.

Off the top of my head, here are some things that XSX has that PS5 doesn't and it doesn't stop at just quick resume:
  • Quick Resume - Don't really need to explain this...
  • Auto HDR - Make all those colors pop in games that didn't support HDR.
  • Huge BC library - How many times am I going to have to buy Shadow of the Colossus, Sony? Or any other game locked in the pre-PS4 days for that matter...
  • Hardware support for ML - Microsoft might have their own version of DLSS up their sleeves. That could be huge game changer in regards to performance and that's just one application of ML. Sony first-party exclusives have had a visual fidelity advantage by targeting lower resolutions and then using checkerboard rendering to upscale to 4K, but that advantage won't be around for long.
  • Game Pass - You really can't argue with the value proposition here.
  • Beefier GPU - More stable framerate, resolution (assuming dynamic), etc. and possibly better RT performance
  • First-party storage expansion - I don't have to worry if my third-party SSD is good enough/vetted by Sony.
  • Plays nicely with PC - More people to play with online and no headaches with game saves
  • Dolby Atmos support - While you need the necessary hardware to use it, it could possibly be better or on-par with Tempest
  • Bethesda exclusivity - If I didn't already have a gaming PC better than XSX, this alone would make me want to preorder.
I like to think that Microsoft has better hardware, but Sony has better engineers.

Last edited:

Lysandros

Look, I like Sony. I really do.

In fact, I preordered the PS5 and am insanely hyped to play Demon's Souls next week with the Pulse 3D Audio Headset.

... But this post is pretty biased. It would make for a stronger, more objective argument to compare the feature sets between the two consoles and not just what PS5 has that XSX doesn't.

Off the top of my head, here are some things that XSX has that PS5 doesn't and it doesn't stop at just quick resume:
  • Quick Resume - Don't really need to explain this...
  • Auto HDR - Make all those colors pop in games that didn't support HDR.
  • Huge BC library - How many times am I going to have to buy Shadow of the Colossus, Sony? Or any other game locked in the pre-PS4 days for that matter...
  • Hardware support for ML - Microsoft might have their own version of DLSS up their sleeves. That could be huge game changer in regards to performance and that's just one application of ML. Sony first-party exclusives have had a visual fidelity advantage by targeting lower resolutions and then using checkerboard rendering to upscale to 4K, but that advantage won't be around for long.
  • Game Pass - You really can't argue with the value proposition here.
  • Beefier GPU - More stable framerate, resolution (assuming dynamic), etc. and possibly better RT performance
  • First-party storage expansion - I don't have to worry if my third-party SSD is good enough/vetted by Sony.
  • Plays nicely with PC - More people to play with online and no headaches with game saves
  • Dolby Atmos support - While you need the necessary hardware to use it, it could possibly be better or on-par with Tempest
  • Bethesda exclusivity - If I didn't already have a gaming PC better than XSX, this alone would make me want to preorder.
I like to think that Microsoft has better hardware, but Sony has better engineers.
XSX's 'hardware support for ML' is packed data for 4-bit and 8-bit integers and this feature is native to RDNA1 as seen in RDNA white paper. Why are you so sure that PS5 doesn't support it?

XSX's 'hardware support for ML' is packed data for 4-bit and 8-bit integers and this feature is native to RDNA1 as seen in RDNA white paper. Why are you so sure that PS5 doesn't support it?
Maybe they do. The point of the post is to show that each console has very clear advantages and disadvantages and, with respect to what XSX has that PS5 lacks, it doesn't just come down to quick resume as the OP suggests (other than hardware).

On another note, "Big Data" and "Machine Learning" are the biggest buzzwords of software development of the last 10 years and I would find it pretty hard to believe that Sony would keep silent about a library or toolset that democratized ML for its developers

When it was obvious that the PlayStation 4 had more TFLOPS than the XBox One and therefore was more powerful than an XBox One it was the most important thing in the World and even Sony and Mark Cerny used that to advertise the PlayStation 4.

Now TFLOPS, higher CU Count and higher Bandwidth doesn't count anymore according to PlayStation Fans and Mark Cerny.

I wonder why!!!

bitbydeath

Sorry man but this just reads like a lot of preemptive damage control before direct comparisons start rolling out and the Series X is shown to perform slightly better.

So far Dirt 5 and Yakuza looks to be performing slightly better on PS5.

But the differences are negligible at best.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I think the differences will be so minimal, that most regular people won't even notice.

That's my prediction.
giphy.gif

Tqaulity Tqaulity post reads like a someone trying to justify their purchase of a weaker console. It's fine Tqaulity Tqaulity , enjoy the PS5. You shouldn't need ANYONE's validation to enjoy anything. It's gonna be a stellar system with tons of fun shit to play. Everything else is just noise.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Chukhopops

So far Dirt 5 and Yakuza looks to be performing slightly better on PS5.

But the differences are negligible at best.
Is there even any gameplay from Yakuza 7 on PS5? Or is this based on that magazine which said the PS4 pro version was running 4K?

Top Bottom