• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IT'S OFFICIAL reviewers that gave TLOU 2 positive reviews were afraid of being blacklisted by Sony and had to "keep with good terms with Sony"

pasterpl

Well it’s a happy coincidence the game happens to be so good then.

The reviewers got paid and didn’t even have to compromise their opinions. Win for everyone 👍

to be honest i am suspecting that it is common practice For some journalists from smaller outlets when they are dealing with any of the big companies (Not only Sony) products/games

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

sobaka770

Banned
tenor.gif

Or maybe angry gamer mob forces reviewer on a single site in Asia to say things they want to hear to keep the clicks coming.
This screen is old anyway, reviewers do not get paid for revieweing TLOU2 with early embargo, game is awesome and people trying to justify why the universe doesn't agree with their hate for it because their emotions got hurt is almost comical at this point.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Games a solid 6 or 7 out of 10. Utterly ancient and dull gameplay (when there is any), terrible story... but utterly gorgeous visuals and fine art for the eyes.

It’s not a 10/10, that’s for sure. That’s tomorrow, with Spongebob 🔥🔥🔥

Edit: for the record, the first game was one of the best games of the gen for me, but this one doesn’t hold a candle to BOOYYY simulator or Horizon. It’s just not fun at all to play, and controls worse than RDR2 if that’s even possible.

Last edited:

samporter

Banned
This is always the case when reviewers are dependent on companies to give them free things. It happens on amazon.com all the time with all the fake reviews. Reviewer get free item, send good review, and get more free items. If they give bad reviews they get blacklisted.

This game is getting destroyed by actual reviews on retail websites, from Gamestop to Amazon and starting to appear on Walmart, Target, Bestbuy. The disparity between critic review scores of near universal 10/10 versus user review scores of 5/10 just tells you how much of a scheme/scam Sony/ND and the reviewers cooked up.

Look at how it got scored by buyers on Gamestop. Are people going to be blaming bots here too?

uxRXw6x.jpg

brap

Banned
This is always the case when reviewers are dependent on companies to give them free things. It happens on amazon.com all the time with all the fake reviews. Reviewer get free item, send good review, and get more free items. If they give bad reviews they get blacklisted.

This game is getting destroyed by actual reviews on retail websites, from Gamestop to Amazon and starting to appear on Walmart, Target, Bestbuy. The disparity between critic review scores of near universal 10/10 versus user review scores of 5/10 just tells you how much of a scheme/scam Sony/ND and the reviewers cooked up.

Look at how it got scored by buyers on Gamestop. Are people going to be blaming bots here too?

uxRXw6x.jpg
It's funny because everybody's shitting on it but certain people will just say they're trolls or homophobic or whatever. It's like their little pea brains just CANNOT accept that the majority of people dislike ONE video game. Where were all these brainlets when everybody was shitting on Fallout 76? Oh that's right they didn't give a fuck because that game isn't about gay people.

Psykodad

Banned
It's funny because everybody's shitting on it but certain people will just say they're trolls or homophobic or whatever. It's like their little pea brains just CANNOT accept that the majority of people dislike ONE video game. Where were all these brainlets when everybody was shitting on Fallout 76? Oh that's right they didn't give a fuck because that game isn't about gay people.
So almost everybody hates TLOU2?

Yeah, I call bs on that. Lol

pawel86ck

Banned
Games a solid 6 or 7 out of 10. Utterly ancient and dull gameplay (when there is any), terrible story... but utterly gorgeous visuals and fine art for the eyes.

It’s not a 10/10, that’s for sure. That’s tomorrow, with Spongebob 🔥🔥🔥
That's a honest opinion. You dont like the story, however you can see positives. People who give scores like 0/10 and see nothing but negatives are obviously trolling.

OP - I'm enjoying the game and I agree with positive reviews although ND didnt paid me nothing (in fact it's the other way around, because I have paid them for this game).

sircaw

Banned

The problem is there are hundreds of people giving scores of 1-3 out of ten. Even on a bad day, even if the story was utter tripe and garbage, you're never going to arrive at pathetic low score like that.

Perhaps if we have a lot more scores like 7 or 8 out of ten those will add some legitimacy so we can actually zero in on the problems.

samporter

Banned
The problem is there are hundreds of people giving scores of 1-3 out of ten. Even on a bad day, even if the story was utter tripe and garbage, you're never going to arrive at pathetic low score like that.

Perhaps if we have a lot more scores like 7 or 8 out of ten those will add some legitimacy so we can actually zero in on the problems.

Let's say someone was so fed up with the game that they don't finish it. Would they need to give it any rating higher than 0/10 in that case? If you are arguing for the merit of the game, then yes TLOU2 shouldn't get 0/10. However, you are arguing about people's opinion of the game, not the objective measurement or the merit of the game.

I was playing fortnite a few months back. I started the game, didn't like what I saw, quickly uninstalled it afterward. Am I required to give it an objective score or can I just say this game was 0/5 for me?

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
To be fair people who post 0 are morons. That means the game has zero defining features, nothing at all.

And while the story is hot horse shit, it’s at least presented in a very cinematic and good way that rivals even big budget Hollywood productions.

As I said, the story is utter wank, and the gameplay feels no better than it did back with the first. But the games visual presentation alone make it worthy of an above average score of nothing else.

brap

Banned

Idk about you but if I don't enjoy something it gets a low score. Doesn't matter how much time, effort, work, went into it if I don't enjoy it it gets a low score. I'm not the only person like that. There's also the people that rate everything a 1 or 10 to show if they disliked it or not. Plenty of people are unhappy with it so it makes no sense to give it a 7 or 8 just because it looks nice or has decent gameplay.

You don't have to look very far, the OT on this very forum is full of people who are quite positive towards the game. QED
Cool, like 20 people on gaf like it. Compare that to the hundreds of reviews on retail websites of normal people being upset they didn't like this game they were looking forward to. You people do the same thing every time. If the critics say it's good it must be good. Not one of you have ever thought for yourselves.

Last edited:

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
If you don't rate it 10/10, you alt-right now!

And if you love it and give it a 10/10, you're a blind fool and a shill paid by Sony.
Right now both sides are losing because some people have to exaggerate their preset opinions and start a ridiculous war nobody asked for.

It's sad to see how people with an honest opinion (whether it's positive or negative) just barely have a chance to be heard.
This whole TLoU2 thing has shown me just how rotten some parts of the gaming community are nowadays. Sadly.

*yawn*
Another bootlicking shill.

Edit: Just to proof my point. Person A loves the game and is called a shill by person B.
Really sad.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
Let's say someone was so fed up with the game that they don't finish it. Would they need to give it any rating higher than 0/10 in that case? If you are arguing for the merit of the game, then yes TLOU2 shouldn't get 0/10. However, you are arguing about people's opinion of the game, not the objective measurement or the merit of the game.

I was playing fortnite a few months back. I started the game, didn't like what I saw, quickly uninstalled it afterward. Am I required to give it an objective score or can I just say this game was 0/5 for me?

Are you really telling me that those hundreds of 0/10 reviews are legit.
If people are going to cite the story as the main issue in the game then i expect them to have of played a vast amount of the game to witness said story. This is not some crappy fortnight experience with zero story elements and just bang, bang, bang

This game is deigned with the single player story in mind. your need to play a large chunk of it to have a valid view point of this.

Dontero

Banned

So you have an issue because people don't work on 7=bad 9=ok 10=Amazing like most of professional work ?
Here is trivia from time when i with my friends started gaming site and wanted to review EA games. We send EA info about our site and asked for review copies. They in return send us papers where naturally we had to obey date launches etc but also that "we wouldn't score any EA game below 7/10" If we would ever scory any EA game below 7/10 contract would be up.

No 1/10 is appropriate score for thing that you hate. And there are plenty of people who gate TLOU2 for one reason or another.

user review > professional score reviews

TriSuit666

Banned
No point viewing this now as the ‘culture war’ rages over the game - best to review in again once the furore has died down and a cooler and analytical analysis of the this game’s ’ledger’ to see how people actually feel.

Even shit weasles who stanned TLJ are questioning their own convictions a few years after the fact.

(personally, I don’t like the story as it doesn’t seek to answer the questions it sets itself)

Also GAF, anyone who uses loaded terms like ’moron’ deserves to have their opinion laughed into the sea. Let’s not be that, please.

Last edited:

mejin

To be fair people who post 0 are morons. That means the game has zero defining features, nothing at all.

And while the story is hot horse shit, it’s at least presented in a very cinematic and good way that rivals even big budget Hollywood productions.

As I said, the story is utter wank, and the gameplay feels no better than it did back with the first. But the games visual presentation alone make it worthy of an above average score of nothing else.

lol that's a complete lie and you know it.

Klayzer

Idk about you but if I don't enjoy something it gets a low score. Doesn't matter how much time, effort, work, went into it if I don't enjoy it it gets a low score. I'm not the only person like that. There's also the people that rate everything a 1 or 10 to show if they disliked it or not. Plenty of people are unhappy with it so it makes no sense to give it a 7 or 8 just because it looks nice or has decent gameplay.

Cool, like 20 people on gaf like it. Compare that to the hundreds of reviews on retail websites of normal people being upset they didn't like this game they were looking forward to. You people do the same thing every time. If the critics say it's good it must be good. Not one of you have ever thought for yourselves.

*yawn*
Another bootlicking shill.
Criticism coming from a career troll like yourself means absolutely nothing. Probably won't be long before you're doing yet another ban stint. I will give you credit though, you are good at shitting up threads.

Who are those peoplewho downvote with such anger?The same people who buy Mario games which are since beginning same game without any story?Or the people who buy every year Call of Duty play the same dumme shit game over and over again?Or maybe the animal crossing people who play the same game every time it’s released,No real gameplay no story.Or who knows maybe the FIFA players who buy the same game every year.Its very obvious that it has nothing to do with the gameplay Or the game.More like haters who hate because something doesn’t fit their view or regular trolls from other camps.

sircaw

Banned
So you have an issue because people don't work on 7=bad 9=ok 10=Amazing like most of professional work ?
Here is trivia from time when i with my friends started gaming site and wanted to review EA games. We send EA info about our site and asked for review copies. They in return send us papers where naturally we had to obey date launches etc but also that "we wouldn't score any EA game below 7/10" If we would ever scory any EA game below 7/10 contract would be up.

No 1/10 is appropriate score for thing that you hate. And there are plenty of people who gate TLOU2 for one reason or another.

user review > professional score reviews

You can give what ever score you want, i don't work for naughty dog. You can even find past posts of mine where i don't think the original game is a 8/10 believing it was not a master piece like most people think it was.

Are the 10 out of 10 scores over the top, safe and probably not fair. I can see it. Game journalists are full of shit and need to protect their little perks etc, same thing happened with red dead redemption 2.
But scores of 0, 1,2,3, this bullshit does not wash with me.

Last edited:
It's 2020, quit it with this stupid consolewar.
Just accept that a game that's not on your favorite hardware can be good without whining or plotting against it, even if it has LESBIANS in it.
I really hope that everyone trying to convince itself that this game is actually bad without even playing it is no more than 20 yo, tbh

Bodomism

Banned
Just accept that a game that's not on your favorite hardware can be good without whining or plotting against it, even if it has LESBIANS in it.
I really hope that everyone trying to convince itself that this game is actually bad without even playing it is no more than 20 yo, tbh
The hell? OP highlighted the woke culture of the industry that will rated shit SJW game higher no matter what.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
lol that's a complete lie and you know it.

See, straight it with this sort of thing. The game plays really poorly, its heavy and laggy, and there isn’t enough fun in the gameplay loop to keep you connected. It plays no better than the original, other than adding a totally useless jump button that doesn’t actually do anything unless you need it to. The original was passable, for its time. But compared to a game like let’s say god of war, the game plays terribly. When you get a chance to play anyway.

But because I’ve said a negative, while being positive in all other areas, it’s not good enough.

You see what you did? I literally called your game beautiful, but with no real decent gameplay, and it wasn’t enough for you. Because it’s not a 10/10 for me, it’s not enough.

Now, the people who vote 3 and 0 are idiots. Absolutely. But people like you who can’t see that maybe, just maybe, not everybody likes the game 100%... You're just as bad.

It’s not a 10/10. It’s not. It’s a great experience but it’s not a PERFECT game. Why isn’t that enough? It’s still better than anything first party Xbox has pumped out in a long time?

mejin

See, straight it with this sort of thing. The game plays really poorly, its heavy and laggy, and there isn’t enough fun in the gameplay loop to keep you connected. It plays no better than the original, other than adding a totally useless jump button that doesn’t actually do anything unless you need it to. The original was passable, for its time. But compared to a game like let’s say god of war, the game plays terribly. When you get a chance to play anyway.

But because I’ve said a negative, while being positive in all other areas, it’s not good enough.

You see what you did? I literally called your game beautiful, but with no real decent gameplay, and it wasn’t enough for you. Because it’s not a 10/10 for me, it’s not enough.

Now, the people who vote 3 and 0 are idiots. Absolutely. But people like you who can’t see that maybe, just maybe, not everybody likes the game 100%... You're just as bad.

It’s not a 10/10. It’s not. It’s a great experience but it’s not a PERFECT game. Why isn’t that enough? It’s still better than anything first party Xbox has pumped out in a long time?

oh, boy. There is no console war here. why are you bringing Xbox to the table?

I can respect everything except the bold cause it is not true. It is as simple as that.

samporter

Banned
If you don't rate it 10/10, you alt-right now!

Dats reysis.

It's funny how some TLOU2 defenders are willing to call others alt right or resetera refugee. The defenders are literally standing will the shill game journalists even though we see the bad/average user reviews coming in. Either they really love the game and believe it is 10/10 themselves, or they can't handle the fact that others may not like the game. I think the need to defend a plastic box may have overwhelmed any rational discussion about problematic issues such as paid reviews, agenda pushing, shutting down dissent.

Are you really telling me that those hundreds of 0/10 reviews are legit.
If people are going to cite the story as the main issue in the game then i expect them to have of played a vast amount of the game to witness said story. This is not some crappy fortnight experience with zero story elements and just bang, bang, bang

This game is deigned with the single player story in mind. your need to play a large chunk of it to have a valid view point of this.

Okay so reviews can only be allowed if players finished it. Any other requirements you want to add before people are allowed share their opinion? Should I need a store purchase receipt, picture id, or give out my personal contact information also?

No, I don't think most 0/10 scores are legimate. Maybe we can solve the review bomb problem by setting the user score range between 5-10 out of 10. But we shouldn't need to eliminate outlier scores, which may effectively be the rawest form of disagreement.

You will be surprised to know that after 4 console generations, the average age of a gamer may be quite old. I would say between 30-40 years old.

Last edited:

Herr Edgy

I mean, no shit.

Typically, in all these situations, it's never explicit bribery or blackmailing or anything of the sorts.
It's the implicit expectations in your surroundings. It's about 'not being in the wrong', about 'fitting in with your peers', about 'backing each other in all cases if you require their backing at some point'.

Games like TLOU or BotW are huge among gamers. Everyone knows mainline Zelda games are essentially the apex of what Nintendo does, and TLOU is hailed as having one of the best stories 'ever' in games, as well as amazing tech that pushes boundaries.
Both BotW and TLOU 2 had years and years between them and their predecessor, Skyward Sword and TLOU 1 respectively. Expectations are high because they have to be high, that's how the companies advertise it and how gamers want to see it.

So now you are a games 'journalist'. You don't understand how games are made, nor are you, possibly, a gamer with a wide range of experience across different genres. Your job is literally to play games that you might not enjoy, or understand the hype of, and give your opinion on it.

Now, the big day comes. There is technically nothing wrong with TLOU 2, even the opposite, the tech is amazing! Story.. eh, might enjoy it or not, but story is pretty much subjective anyways. Giving a strong, personal opinion that many people will not share? Getting the big company on your bad side, that markets this game as their magnum opus? This will have consequences not just for you, but for the entire company you work for! Everyone knows expectations are high, and that technically the game is pretty good too. 10/10! Better safe than sorry.

If you stand out, you make yourself a target. For the gamers who don't like what you wrote/scored the game, for your peers, for your company, for the game's company, for possible future employers. Is that 8/10 score you would give if unconstrained really worth the potential difficulties you'll face? Now, all of this isn't active thoughts. But it's brooding, under the hood. It's an unconscious bias that people are not aware of.

People are scared. The industry, imo, is one full of fear that masquerades itself through its shining positivity.

I certainly notice among my peer devs as well. I don't play along with their behavior of backing each other in all cases or scenarios. I don't share stuff I don't genuinely want to share. Sure, I might like a dev post on social media primarily because it's from a friend of mine, but I don't go out of my way to back work I'm not fond of, or people I'm not fond of. The moment I was out of this bubble, I stopped receiving any attention from them. My old team of students is creating (or they have created, idk) a small indie company now. Their game is simple. Not bad, but very, very simple. I participated in the Unreal jam recently, we made it 4th place in popularity among the ~270 submissions. The game is similar in genre to what my old team is doing. We did something on par, maybe slightly less polished, in 5 days. Our 5 day game is comparable to their 2 year game. I got exactly one like on my facebook feed from one of the local devs. No one bothered checking it out, or if checking it out, commenting, liking, whatever, because I'm no longer part of their group, because I stood out as an individual and having opinions that people don't share. In their eyes, I'm no longer a person that is of value, even though my skills speak for themselves, just because I refuse to twist myself. Because skills isn't what they are looking for. It's social status/value. A huge circlejerk, essentially.

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
It's funny how some TLOU2 defenders are willing to call others alt right or resetera refugee. The defenders are literally standing will the shill game journalists even though we see the bad/average user reviews coming in. Either they really love the game and believe it is 10/10 themselves, or they can't handle the fact that others may not like the game. I think the need to defend a plastic box may have overwhelmed any rational discussion about problematic issues such as paid reviews, agenda pushing, shutting down dissent.

To be fair: A lot of people who played the game, liked it and have some good arguments for giving it a 10/10 are also being attacked by the haters. This thing goes both ways, so just blaming the defenders for attacking the 0/10-sayers is wrong.

Why can't we just accept other opinions as long as people take some time to state for reasons?
"0/10 because I played two hours and ND stupid", "0/10 because I saw some leaks and there is an agenda" and "I played two hours, 10/10 because ND is a god in developer clothes" are no foundation for a real discussion.

But seeing how people who love the game or just didn't enjoy it are being attacked is just a joke.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
oh, boy. There is no console war here. why are you bringing Xbox to the table?

I can respect everything except the bold cause it is not true. It is as simple as that.

You’ve literally just hit the nail in the head with why reviews are bullshit in the first place.

“YOU” think the gameplay is good.

“I” think it’s not as good as it could have been.

Which of us is right? Both? Neither? Well, it’s both, clearly.

Now look I think the people review bombing are fucking stupid. They are doing it for a reason, and that reason is childish. But people DO have different opinions, and truth be told even though I’m finding myself bored with the gameplay and the story is driving me crackers for being shite, I’m playing JUST for the visuals, which are absolutely tip top. That’s my motivation. And hopefully I’ll keep going.

But for me, it’s a 6 or 7 out of 10. It’s not perfect, at all.

As for bringing Xbox into it, man, let’s be honest here, Xbox could only dream of getting talent like naughty dog. They are straight ip wizards.

Hostile_18

Banned
I love the game, most reviewers love the game.

But from a business perspective to have say a third of your audience hate the game perhaps I'm some respects it's too much too soon and the transition of the more SJW elements could of been done more gradually/naturally.

That been said if the hate is actually story elements then I love the game takes risks. Rather that than everyone have plot armour like in Game of Thrones season 7 and 8. At least they followed through with the ideals of the world they had created. As a lover of good stories I want to be emotionally moved, if bad things only happens to characters I don't care about where is the emotional investment.

So yeah it comes down to the reason for the hate to me as to if theres any validity behind it.

Ar¢tos

Pretty much every media site wants to keep good relations with every publisher they deal with. This is nothing new and won't stop.
I had reviews censored/edited (not by the publisher, by the media site I was doing the review for) because the truth was "too harsh" and "the publisher might not like it".

Top Bottom