• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It looks like Jason Blundell is still working with/at Sony?

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Who?

Mean Girls Movie GIF by filmeditor

tmlDan

One of the masterminds behind Black Ops and Zombies over at Treyarch, if I'm not mistaken.
Yep, and was at deviation games before leaving, after that nobody knew where he went.

This is the first time, i believe, we knew he was still with Playstation studios(well working there now, was working with before). Which is weird given he was already technically working with them at Deviation till it didn't work out.

Last edited:
Interesting. Even if Deviation's game is dead, at least the manpower is still there.
I think Jason Blundell is a really good director and seems to love sci-fi, time travel, alternate dimensions and lovecraftian things so I think he could do some creative stuff.
But there's no denial he could also work on shooters. Maybe work on Killzone, Resistance or SOCOM.

Baki

Sounds like he liked working with PS but didn't like the direction of Deviation Games (or he was forced out). He joined in July 2023, the same time Sony likely cancelled their project with Deviation games. I wonder if it's a new studio they're building or Jason is building a team within an existing studio like Santa Monica.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yep, and was at deviation games before leaving, after that nobody knew where he went.

This is the first time, i believe, we knew he was still with Playstation studios(well working there now, was working with before). Which is weird given he was already technically working with them at Deviation till it didn't work out.

Awesome! This is good.

yurinka

Sounds like he liked working with PS but didn't like the direction of Deviation Games (or he was forced out). He joined in July 2023, the same time Sony likely cancelled their project with Deviation games. I wonder if it's a new studio they're building or Jason is building a team within an existing studio like Santa Monica.
It's either naughty dog or Santa Monica.
Even if Deviation's game is dead, at least the manpower is still there.
Both Jason and JC left Deviation, but they seem to be back, or Sony is building a new studio in LA and they both joined it.

According to JC's LinkedIn (someone postead a screenshot in his twitter replies, but I no longer see the tweet, so maybe was deleted) the studio he's working on is in LA, where Deviation is. A city where as far as I know, Sony doesn't have any studio.

So either both are back to Deviation or Sony is building a new studio in LA with ex-Deviation staff.

Also, the top Sony guy said in the fiscal report Q&A that the dozen GaaS were still there but some of them delayed (later TLOU Online got canned), meaning the Deviation game was likely delayed or rebooted but not cancelled.

Last edited:
According to JC's LinkedIn (someone postead a screenshot in his twitter replies, but I no longer see the tweet, so maybe was deleted) the studio he's working on is in LA, where Deviation is. A city where as far as I know, Sony doesn't have any studio.

So either both are back to Deviation or Sony is building a new studio in LA with ex-Deviation staff.

Santa Monica is in LA. Santa Monica is home to many studios as it is hotbed of talent. Sony have Naughty Dog and Sony Santa Monica based there and Xbox have The Initiative based out of there. Blundell is there because Treyarch is from Playa Vista, which is 25mins away from Naughty Dog etc

Last edited:

yurinka

Investigating a bit more, I see he left Deviation in May and joined SIE in July, half a year ago.

The thing is, it says there he works presentially in a SIE office from LA, not remotely for some studio in other city. But unless I'm wrong, SIE doesn't have any LA studio.

Deviation is in LA too, and both him and Jason Blundell worked in Deviation. Maybe Sony just created a new, unannounced studio in LA with former Deviation staff to work in the Deviation game?

image.png

Santa Monica is in LA. Santa Monica is home to many studios as it is hotbed of talent. Sony have Naughty Dog and Sony Santa Monica based there and Xbox have The Initiative based out of there. Blundell is there because Treyarch is from Playa Vista, which is 25mins away from Naughty Dog etc
Oh, I see. I thought Los Angeles and Santa Monica were different cities. But I see in LinkedIn that the Sony Santa Monica staff and the office itself are listed in LA.

Last edited:

tmlDan

Both Jason and JC left Deviation, but they seem to be back, or Sony is building a new studio in LA and they both joined it.

Also, the top Sony guy said in the fiscal report Q&A that the dozen GaaS were still there but some of them delayed (later TLOU Online got canned), meaning the Deviation game was likely delayed or rebooted but not cancelled.
Are you referring to this? it seems they're not saying much.

aBcs5MN.jpg

People are speculating that David Vonderhaar is also involved since he is a part of a new studio with no name either and started around the same time:

jELHnMt.png

yurinka

Are you referring to this? it seems they're not saying much.

aBcs5MN.jpg

People are speculating that David Vonderhaar is also involved since he is a part of a new studio with no name either and started around the same time:

jELHnMt.png
Yes. It's weird. Because, if they joined SSM or ND why not mentioning it? Why should they want to keep it secret? The most reasonable idea seems to be that SIE created a new studio there, maybe to reboot the Deviation game, and hired the people they considered from Deviation. Which would be a weird move. Or maybe they are working on a new game in a new SIE studio. In both cases it would make sense from Sony's side to keep quiet until the project seems stable.

Last edited:

Baki

Yes. It's weird. Because, if they joined SSM or ND why not mentioning it? Why should they want to keep it secret? The most reasonable idea seems to be that SIE created a new studio there, maybe to reboot the Deviation game, and hired the people they considered from Deviation. Which would be a weird move. Or maybe they are working on a new game in a new SIE studio. In both cases it would make sense from Sony's side to keep quiet until the project seems stable.
Not that weird, maybe Deviation had good talent and game on their hands, but terrible management and leadership. So Sony decided to take back their funding and take the game in house as they own the IP.

Perrott

Gold Member
Guess the news has finally arrived at insider gaming as they put out a report on this yesterday:

I hope this works out better than the last time Sony tried to build a secret studio in California (VASG's spin-off development team, which started development on The Last Of Us Part I).

Top Bottom