• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ISIS executes 150+ women for refusing to marry militants, bury them in mass graves

Status
Not open for further replies.

antipode

so easy to argue when the other doesn't know islam

Want more: Read a fuller account:

It's important to remember (and I think it's good that modern scholars within Islam have tackled this issue) that other religions have been persecuted using those same arguments over the interpretation.

It has an important interpretation in the Bahá’í faith as well http://senmcglinn.wordpress.com/2010/03/06/lawh_banuqurayza/ and that has contributed to a huge amount of persecution and suffering in Islamic countries over time: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_Bahá'ís

liger05

Iraqi health ministry is a viable source? Please.

Al arabiya reported this two days ago and are not credible.

What is a Jihad marriage? Temporary marriage, which isn't even Sunnah and secondly we already had stories like that debunked last year.

grumble

What is a Jihad marriage? Temporary marriage, which isn't even Sunnah and secondly we already had stories like that debunked last year.

The yazidi women who are being held as sex slaves disagree.

MacNille

Banned

Temporary marriage= They are used as sex slaves. If you don't see the problem with that, you are an awful awful human being.

I said before, ISIS will be allowed to operate for many years. It conveniences the west to drive that region back into barbarism with no progress. There will be no one who is going to try and stop them, just news stories of how horrid they are for years and years as they continue to do things like this over and over.

Foffy

Banned
Stone age shitbrained egoic mindsets do not belong in a 21st century world. They don't correlate with reality, and yet we get nonsense like this. ):

ISIS Defense force has arrived. Where's Kobashi100?

ICKE

Banned
I said before, ISIS will be allowed to operate for many years. It conveniences the west to drive that region back into barbarism with no progress. There will be no one who is going to try and stop them, just news stories of how horrid they are for years and years as they continue to do things like this over and over.

Should this conflict spread to Saudi-Arabia, it would probably benefit the Russian economy as the crude oil prices would skyrocket. At the same time they don't want to see the Assad regime fall and have a reason to oppose ISIS in that respect.

Many different interests at play here.

liger05

The yazidi women who are being held as sex slaves disagree.

That's not what the report says. It says 150 women were killed for refusing marriage. They couldn't be Yazidi as Muslims can't marry someone of Yazidi belief. So they were Sunni and wouldn't accept Jihad marriage which is what exactly?

ISIS Defense force has arrived. Where's Kobashi100?

Not at all. Just don't see how the Iraqi health ministry is a accurate source. The same ministry which claimed women were being forcibly circumcised in mosul which was BS.

That's not what the report says. It says 150 women were killed for refusing marriage. They couldn't be Yazidi as Muslims can't marry someone of Yazidi belief. So they were Sunni and wouldn't accept Jihad marriage which is what exactly?

I think the point was that they ARE holding Yazidi sex slaves, so this isn't exactly outside the realm of possibility.

Yeah. This is all our plan. It is not like having these guys take over after we fought a 9 year war there is embarrassing to us. And it is not like we are already back there bombing them.

Go back to infowars

Ikael

Saddam was better than ISIS objectively speaking. Saddam would have obliterated ISIS by now. He was a murderous dictator, but his rampage was limited to political reprisals. He conducted the Anfal campaign because Kurds tried to assassinate him when his motorcade passed by. Obviously being the asshole as he was, he used chemical weapons on the village in return. He doesnt get a pass, but he wasnt destroying his country. There was no shadow government from stone age that was running around like a mongol horde, pillaging, raping and enslaving everyone in sight. Someone mentioned Saddam's death toll was higher. How long was the dude in power? 50 years? Give ISIS 50 years unchecked, and the whole middle east will be wiped out, culture as well as people.

This X 10000. It's not about morality, but about the lesser evil. And frankly, you would be hard pressed to find a greater maniac evil than ISIS right now (albeit the Pakistan talibans seems determined to challenge that asertion).

Even if every single member of ISIS would be killed today by a magical bullet that also leaves no collateral casualties, you would have a hardcore sunni extremist group to replace them asap. The conditions that gave birth to ISIS (sunni-shiite sectarian violence coupled with saudi / gulf financial sponsors) would still be present. Unless you solve these two almost intractable problems, this shit will keep happening one way or another.

I am fucking furious. Fucking scum. I'm not a violent person and I want to do something to these assholes. Brave women, the whole lot of them. They're going to a better place, bless them.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Nothing has changed in 100 years it seems. Modern iPads and GoPros aside, it's pretty much Armenian Genocide level of evil still today. The question is, why this region produces such unfathomable evil over such a long period of history. Typically evil comes in a wave that then ensures it won't happen again at least in the next century (e.g. Cambodia).

It's not only ISIS to blame, it's also those who argue for them, who protect them, who defend them. The Nazis couldn't have done what they did if the normal german population had fought back - the problem was that the normal german people contained a significant amount of what we would now call the 'Nazi Defence Force' who would defend them, deny all knowledge of crimes and claim that the joy division were just temporary nazi marriages, permitted by Allah.

King_Moc

Banned
I am fucking furious. Fucking scum. I'm not a violent person and I want to do something to these assholes. Brave women, the whole lot of them. They're going to a better place, bless them.

Unfortunately, not. The belief of an afterlife is one of the things that makes animals like ISIS do this. they probably think Allah is going to sort them all out. Alas, no. they've simply ceased to exist.

They aren't. When you say things like this, you are just furthering the cause of irrationality and religion. The central problem with normalising religious irrationality is that people are then inclined to defend destructive religious beliefs, on the basis that 'hey, dont pick on their beliefs, its their beliefs and so we should let them express them'.

...even if those beliefs are harmful, bullying, misogynistic, racist, isolationist, sexist and homophobic. But they can't be that bad, because, hey, religion! Normalised!

Ogimachi

They aren't. When you say things like this, you are just furthering the cause of irrationality and religion. The central problem with normalising religious irrationality is that people are then inclined to defend destructive religious beliefs, on the basis that 'hey, dont pick on their beliefs, its their beliefs and so we should let them express them'.

...even if those beliefs are harmful, bullying, misogynistic, racist, isolationist, sexist and homophobic. But they can't be that bad, because, hey, religion! Normalised!
Fuck religious people, right?! You can tip your fedora now, just keep in mind that your intolerance is just as bad(or probably worse)as the "harmful" beliefs you're attacking.

King_Moc

Banned
Fuck religious people, right?! You can tip your fedora now, just keep in mind that your intolerance is just as bad(or probably worse)as the "harmful" beliefs you're attacking.

You think that an intolerance of religion is worse than bullying, misogynism, racism, isolationism, sexism and homophobia? Wtf? Even weirder when you consider religion has helped to spread all those things.

It's not the same situation. The average german who supported the Nazis didn't know a thing about the atrocities.

When you live in a militaristic state and anyone of a certain race/background is being removed and sent to a nasty corner of town, you only need to give it about 10 seconds of thought to realise that's a pretty shitty situation and is going to get real bad real quick.

It's call empathy. If you were a German back then, all you had to do was imagine what it was like if you were jewish, and - boom - reality kicks in and you realist it's not right. Empathy is more common these days than it used to be, particularly in the western world (lots of guys these days take up the fight of what would be called 'feminism' and 'gay activism' but takes the form of people calling others out when they say sexist or homophobic things).

Ogimachi

You think that an intolerance of religion is worse than bullying, misogynism, racism, isolationism, sexism and homophobia? Wtf? Even weirder when you consider religion has helped to spread all those things.
And what religion is that? "Religion has helped to spread" is not an argument. Religions are very different, and some of them do have beliefs I find despicable, but that doesn't mean every religion has it.

Explain to me why my atheism is worse than radical islam, and you will win some magic beans.

And what religion is that? "Religion has helped to spread" is not an argument. Religions are very different, and some of them do have beliefs I find despicable, but that doesn't mean every religion has it.

Islam. Christianity. How many more do you need?

Both of them have campaigned tirelessly and effectively against homosexuality and homosexuals. They are like Al Gore in An Inconvenient Truth, only instead of campaigning against climate change, they have campaigned against a specific sexual orientation.

King_Moc

Banned

Loads of religions have people that do that stuff. Whether or not it was in the book they're choosing to believe in the first place doesn't seem particularly relevant when the book is just as much a made up opinion as the perpetrators interpretation of it.

Ogimachi

Explain to me why my atheism is worse than radical islam, and you will win some magic beans.
You weren't talking about Islam specifically. I cannot make that argument, as radical islam is as bad as religion gets.

Islam. Christianity. How many more do you need?

Both of them have campaigned tirelessly and effectively against homosexuality and homosexuals. They are like Al Gore in An Inconvenient Truth, only instead of campaigning against climate change, they have campaigned against a specific sexual orientation.
The Church does not campaign against homosexuality. It's part of the doctrine that gay sex is a sin, but homosexuals are welcome to the church.

Loads of religions have people that do that stuff. Whether or not it was in the book they're choosing to believe in the first place doesn't seem particularly relevant when the book is just as much a made up opinion as the perpetrators interpretation of it.
Whether or not it's in the book is actually quite relevant. None of the types of discrimination you mentioned are supported by the catholic faith.

gabbo

It's not only ISIS to blame, it's also those who argue for them, who protect them, who defend them. The Nazis couldn't have done what they did if the normal german population had fought back - the problem was that the normal german people contained a significant amount of what we would now call the 'Nazi Defence Force' who would defend them, deny all knowledge of crimes and claim that the joy division were just temporary nazi marriages, permitted by Allah.
In ISIS' case isn't this at more of a state level? Saudis and the like turn blind eyes.

MacNille

Banned
The Church does not campaign against homosexuality. It's part of the doctrine that gay sex is a sin, but homosexuals are welcome to the church. .

So it is okay to be gay... .as long you don't fuck another gay dude or gal.....
photo.jpg

You weren't talking about Islam specifically. I cannot make that argument, as radical islam is as bad as religion gets.

You said that my atheism was worse than the religious behaviour I highlighted, which, if you look around the thread you're in, is all about radical islam. Thanks for backing down but please have a think about what it is inside you that makes alarm bells ring in your head every time someone says religion is bad. I get that you were brought up to believe that athiesm is a sin, but it's important you remember that atheism is very much a central part of the religious pluralism which you support.

The Church does not campaign against homosexuality. It's part of the doctrine that gay sex is a sin, but homosexuals are welcome to the church.

Firstly, yes it does campaign against homosexuality, and secondly, homosexuals are only welcome to the church so long as they stop being homosexuals and apologise for what they are otherwise they will be burned alive for eternity.

Whether or not it's in the book is actually quite relevant. None of the types of discrimination you mentioned are supported by the catholic faith.

Your sheer lack of knowledge of religious texts can only be described as childlike and, well, bizarre.

Ogimachi

You said that my atheism was worse than the religious behaviour I highlighted, which, if you look around the thread you're in, is all about radical islam. Thanks for backing down but please have a think about what it is inside you that makes alarm bells ring in your head every time someone says religion is bad. I get that you were brought up to believe that athiesm is a sin, but it's important you remember that atheism is very much a central part of the religious pluralism which you support.
My point was that religious intolerance is just as bad as intolerance towards women, homosexuals, foreigners or whatever. Having a conscious, reasonable argument against a religion's doctrine is fine, Branding every religious person a homophobic racist, misogynist, etc right off the bat isn't right.

Firstly, yes it does campaign against homosexuality, and secondly, homosexuals are only welcome to the church so long as they stop being homosexuals and apologise for what they are otherwise they will be burned alive for eternity.
As long as you're not an apostate and seek forgiveness, you won't "burn in hell for eternity".

Your sheer lack of knowledge of religious texts can only be described as childlike and, well, bizarre.
So you think your statement is undeniable? Discrimination is inherent to the catholic faith?

King_Moc

Banned
My point was that religious intolerance is just as bad as intolerance towards women, homosexuals, foreigners or whatever. Having a conscious, reasonable argument against a religion's doctrine is fine, Branding every religious person a homophobic racist, misogynist, etc right off the bat isn't right.

Well, at least women, homosexuals and foreigners are actual things. Religion is made up, so I can't see how an intolerance to it can be as bad. A religious person needs to have made a choice to suspend reason. The others just are what they are and cannot help that.

And no one is branding every religious person those things. I'm fully aware that the vast majority of religious people are as sane as I am.

EGOMON

Basically its Al Qeadas turn to step up to the plate now.

I honestly cant even begin to contemplate how you sort out such a shit show. Its funny because just this evening my father and I were talking about how beautiful Oman was and how the people there are so relaxed, friendly and eager to just show you how beautiful their country and culture is........of course not even a few hundred km's away you got all this backward ass shit happening. Its not even like countries like Saudi are much better, they just happen to have a fairly substantial police force and army to make sure its only the Religious Police that are running around performing the executions and absurd women hating.
Am glad you guys had great time at my country it really saddens me to see the fucked up shit happening in our region

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom