• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is your pc more powerful than ps5/xbsx?

Is your pc more powerful than ps5 or an xbox series x?

• Yes

Votes: 229 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 195 41.9%
  • About the same

Votes: 41 8.8%

• Total voters

skneogaf

I think most people don't actually have gaming pc's that can outperform the next generation consoles.

If you look at the steam hardware survey then most still 1080p screens and equivalent pc hardware.

Im interested to know what neogaf members have as we're probably classed as not casual gamers but more enthusiasts.

Topher

Gold Member
I think most people don't actually have gaming pc's that can outperform the next generation consoles.

If you look at the steam hardware survey then most still 1080p screens and equivalent pc hardware.

Im interested to know what neogaf members have as we're probably classed as not casual gamers but more enthusiasts.

Don't be fooled by the 1080p though. A good number of those PCs are pushing frame rates well into the 100s.

My PC is 2080 Super and R7 3700X.

My PC is an i5 6600K + GTX 1060, so yes, my PS5 is way more powerful (excep for Gamer Nexus, whose GTX 1060 is way more powerful than a PS5 for reasons I still don't even fathom 🤷‍♂️).

Because Gamer Nexus didn't analyze anything beyond 1080p. He was looking exclusively at frame rates.

Hakiroto

Yeah, I agree. I also think about the Steam Hardware & Software Survey when I see arguing about the PC being the superior platform or whatever the current argument is.

My PC is a couple of years old — I have a 3700X, 2080 Super, 16 GB RAM, 1 TB NVMe, and 27" 1440p 144Hz monitor. That's more than enough for what I need with PC gaming. I also have a PS5 in my living room and that's connected to a big LG OLED so you can bet that unless it's a keyboard and mouse shooter, I'd typically rather be playing there. That said, regardless of specifications, I love gaming on PC and console equally — there are so many great games out there!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I guess we can gloat a little here?

Gigabyte x570 Aorus Ultra
5900x
64gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600mhz@18-18-18-36-54
Gigabyte Vision 3090
500gb 980 Pro PCIe boot drive NVME
2tb 970 Pro Gen 3 NVME
2x2tb 970 Evo SSD's in RAID 0
8tb HDD
1000w EVGA Supernova Platinum PSU
65" LG CX 120hz

Bonus gloat is my Denon HDMI 2.1 receiver with 5 Infiniti speakers and 2 SVS subs 😱😱😱😱😱😱😱

Not sure how many PS5/XBX that is in power.

Last edited:

Cryio

RX 5700 XT + R5 3600 + 32 GB ram + 1080p120 monitor.

My PC is technically about on par with PS5 and some potentially 20% slower than an Xbox Series X.

Once DirectStorage, Mesh Shaders, Sampler Feedback, Variable Rate Shading and Resizable BAR will be put to better use, I expect to be left in the dust.

Or maybe not. Funny thing is these consoles are expected to provide 1440p60 / 1800p60 / 4K60 experiences, while I'm playing at 1080p (30 to 60 to 120 fps. Depends on game or settings). So I have a lot more headroom for performance than these consoles. I am also not capable of using RayTracing, so there's more performance headroom for me yet again.

Who knows. It's a weird time.

I'm also playing a lot of emulators at 30 - 60 - 120 fps AND playing older PC games with ReShade Path Tracing occasionally. I can't say I feel like I'm missing out.

PS: The Darkness 1 (2007) also just became playable on RPCS3 within the last week for example. 720p60 or 720p120 gameplay is completely achievable.
PPS: I expect to upgrade in the relatively near future. Not current RX 6000 series, but RX 7000, highly likely. That's what, 2022-2023?

Last edited:

Arioco

Because Gamer Nexus didn't analyze anything beyond 1080p. He was looking exclusively at frame rates.

He didn't analyse anything beyond 1080p... on PC, because PS5 versión was running at 4K. Which basically makes his comparison ridiculous, since on PS5 is the GPU which is bottlenecking the system and making it dip into the 30s, something we didn't see even on PS4.

On PS5 and Series X even the 120 fps mode is higher than 1080p, so put it up against a GTX 1060 running at 1080 doesn't make any sense at all unless you're looking for the results you wanted beforehand.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
3700X, RTX 2070S, 16Gb DDR4@3733 CL16, 2TB nvme

GPU is similar to the PS5 in rasterization. But much better in ray-tracing.
But it also has DLSS, which puts it well above the PS5 in rasterization and slightly above the Series X.
CPU has higher clock speed, more L3 cache and much lower latency.

Last edited:
I'd say its probably just about ahead given the 3700 paired with a 2080 ti. Should at least offer the same sorta performance later in the gen so no plans to upgrade yet

skneogaf

5900x
Gigabyte Vision 3090
2tb 970 Pro Gen 3 NVME
8tb HDD
65" LG CX 120hz

I have a similar system but is likely a bit slower.

I have a I7 9700k, slower ram etc and a lg c9.

It would be good to have a neogaf pc benchmark table to see where you and I came, I imagine you'd be either top or close.

One of us should start a thread.

Graciaus

Given parts are almost impossible to find for a reasonable price right now no. I'd love a 3080.

Last edited:

GHG

3700X, RTX 2070S, 16Gb DDR4@3733 CL16, 2TB nvme

GPU is similar to the PS5 in rasterization. But much better in ray-tracing.
But it also has DLSS, which puts it well above the PS5 in rasterization and slightly above the Series X.
CPU has higher clock speed, more L3 cache and much lower latency.

Similar Specs here:

3900X
2070S
32GB CL16 @3600
2 nvme's, one PCI-E 3 spec and the other PCI-E 4 spec

Good to go for any next gen games and if I need to I'll upgrade the GPU once the prices have settled down.

LiquidMetal14

I have a similar system but is likely a bit slower.

I have a I7 9700k, slower ram etc and a lg c9.

It would be good to have a neogaf pc benchmark table to see where you and I came, I imagine you'd be either top or close.

One of us should start a thread.
I'm surprised there isn't a thread like that here to compare settings.

I recently had the memory at 16-16-16-36-52 (AMD timings) and had some random infrequent freezes. I'm running settings now that have not had crashes and have yet to overclock the CPU with PBO2 on Ryzen.

I have actually been watching some videos to nail some settings so I can squeeze a little more performance given I have a Corsair H100i Elite Capellix cooler.

winjer

Gold Member
Similar Specs here:

3900X
2070S
32GB CL16 @3600
2 nvme's, one PCI-E 3 spec and the other PCI-E 4 spec

Good to go for any next gen games and if I need to I'll upgrade the GPU once the prices have settled down.

Not quite. I play at 1440p, which is around the same resolution most AAA games run on the PS5.
But these PS5 games targets 60 fps. But I have a 144Hz monitor with G-sync. And I want around 100 fps.
If a game has DLSS, I'm safe. But if not, I have to lower some settings.

Rayderism

I don't know.....

My PC is an Alienware M17 laptop
Intel Core I7 8750H
Nvidia RTX 2070 (MaxQ) 8gb (as I understand, it's the more powerful MaxQ variant, for what it's worth)
16GB RAM
512GB SSD (highly doubt it's as fast as PS5's SSD)
Win10

No idea how that compares to a PS5.

molly14

5900x
Gigabyte Vision 3090
2tb 970 Pro Gen 3 NVME
8tb HDD
65" LG CX 120hz

Bonus gloat is my Denon HDMI 2.1 receiver with 5 Infiniti speakers and 2 SVS subs 😱😱😱😱😱😱😱

Like to see some pictures of that set-up,had the original Denon AVC A1,awesome amp for the time:)

skneogaf

5900x
Gigabyte Vision 3090
2tb 970 Pro Gen 3 NVME
8tb HDD
65" LG CX 120hz

I don't have a hdmi 2.1 av receiver but mine is a denon x6300h dolby atmos / dts-x and pretty good as I have it using 7.2.4 Q acoustics full setup.

GHG

Not quite. I play at 1440p, which is around the same resolution most AAA games run on the PS5.
But these PS5 games targets 60 fps. But I have a 144Hz monitor with G-sync. And I want around 100 fps.
If a game has DLSS, I'm safe. But if not, I have to lower some settings.

The console games don't always use max PC settings, that's something most people forget. They also don't run at native 4k in most cases so it's just a case of tweaking a couple of things here and there.

I also have a PS5 so if there's a shitshow of a port and I still really want the game then I can just play it there.

LiquidMetal14

Like to see some pictures of that set-up,had the original Denon AVC A1,awesome amp for the time:)
I have pics like that keeping in mind that I have a young 2 year old and this house I have i don't run wires through the walls and such but it's my dream setup as far as kit goes.

I'll try and find something which shows my comfy couch setup as well.

I should also note that I have an awesome wireless Corsair keyboard and mouse (1ms on both) and a lap board made for the keyboard specifically. Yeah, it's pretty awesome.

For wireless gaming I have 5 XB1S pads with the wireless receiver, 2 black XB1S pads, and a wired controller. And a nice Plantronics headset for chat.

A lot of people build nice computers and then skimp on monitors for some reason as well.

skneogaf

I'm surprised there isn't a thread like that here to compare settings.

I recently had the memory at 16-16-16-36-52 (AMD timings) and had some random infrequent freezes. I'm running settings now that have not had crashes and have yet to overclock the CPU with PBO2 on Ryzen.

I have actually been watching some videos to nail some settings so I can squeeze a little more performance given I have a Corsair H100i Elite Capellix cooler.

I'm using a be quiet dark rock pro 4 I think it's called and I can run my cpu at 5ghz no problem, I think air coolers are still relatively competitive.

Until I got the 3090 I was hitting hdmi 2.0b limits on my TV using a 2080ti so 4k@60fps or 1440p@120fps no problem but now I have access to 4k@120hz then I may look into improving performance to hit 4k@120fps which is definitely not a guarantee even with a 3090.

PsyEd

Yes
i7-8700K | 64GB @ 3600hz DDR4 | MSI 3080 Ti SUPRIM X

Using my old 1080ti on a mini pc which acts as HTPC + emu pc. Still play mostly on consoles since I love gaming on the couch.

Guilty_AI

That never stops them bleating about consoles or going on about that master race bollocks.
1bc.jpg

Kuranghi

Taking PS5 as example since thats what I own and know the rough equivalent of in PC GPU power.

If we are talking about 1440p-4K output (ie what PS5 games run at most of the time) then yeah but the question doesn't make a lot of sense without knowing your output resolution.

If you have a 1080p screen and thats what you target then a GTX 1080 (I think thats closest to a PS5, TI is faster by a bit, but then again maybe same after console voodoo) is going to smash PS5 framerates at the same settings because the PS5 doesn't gain more fps if you run it with a 1080p output afaik, I presume it super samples the image like the PS4 Pro did.

If you have a 4K screen (and also don't have access to similar upscaling tech as CBR) then its going to be worse looking if you want to match PS5s output res, or worse performing if you just use native resolutions. If you have a 20-series+ nvidia card then you have DLSS so that will be better than CBR by all accounts and allow you to achieve better image quality with a tiny bit less performance. Maybe you could go lower than the PS5 internal res for DLSS, achieve the same IQ and get the same or better performance but I don't know if DLSS can't be as fine grain controlled as that.

edit - Thats all assuming you have at least as powerful as CPU as the PS5.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
He didn't analyse anything beyond 1080p... on PC, because PS5 versión was running at 4K. Which basically makes his comparison ridiculous, since on PS4 is the GPU which is bottlenecking the system and making it dip into the 30s, something we didn't see even on PS4.

On PS5 and Series X even the 120 fps mode is higher than 1080p, so put it up against a GTX 1060 running at 1080 doesn't make any sense at all unless you're looking for the results you wanted beforehand.

4K wasn't used at all. The PS5 games he tested targeted 1080p in their 120fps mode. I think Dirt 5 was the only one that used DRS in 120fps mode and it varied between 900-1440p which GN clearly pointed out. In that case, GN used a GTX 1080 and clearly showed that the PS5 outperformed it. So how is he only showing results he "wanted" again?

Last edited:
Top Bottom