• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the backlash to Cyberpunk a joke?

Is the backlash to Cyberpunk 2077 a joke?

• Yeah, hardly the first game to stumble, won't be the last, will be patched. The game itself rocks.

Votes: 200 36.6%
  • Yeah, it's a bit embarrassing for CDPR but it's part and parcel with that level of ambition.

Votes: 97 17.7%
  • Yeah, my take below..

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • No, my take below..

Votes: 20 3.7%
  • No, this is the most hyped game ever and a pretty smug company has buggered it up

Votes: 157 28.7%
  • No, this is a nigh-on criminal stuff up and the game should be incinerated.

Votes: 33 6.0%
  • I've no opinion on the backlash

Votes: 33 6.0%

• Total voters

ADS

Cyberpunk is graphically amazing (on PC), but other than that is a complete disappointment. Night City feels like 90s era open world design. It's like an interactive screensaver. The linear bits of side-questing are decent, but it's not the game I wanted or expected.

Last edited:
I love the 'smug company' option...those awful 'night city wire' things on YouTube that were hosted by the girl off PlayStation Access (with about an inch of make-up all over her boat race) really are funny to watch back now.

They got their just desserts for hyping this like it was the second coming, when it turned out to be like that bit of phlegm you get in the corner of your mouth sometimes.

BeardGawd

Banned
Something doesn't seem right. People are posting fake and misleading videos like this to trash the game:

Funny as hell video but thats not what the game looks like on last gen.

ruvikx

Banned
Cyberpunk is graphically amazing (on PC), but other than that is a complete disappointment. Night City feels like 90s era open world design. It's like an interactive screensaver. The linear bits of side-questing are decent, but it's not the game I wanted or expected.

CDPR should have made The Witcher 4. I know there's an army of frustrated artists who scream "but what about our inspiration!"... yeah, no.

CDPR only became a multibillion dollar company because their Witcher games (which they built from the ground up) & progressively over a decade became a real gaming phenomenon as a result of their fantasy genre RPG being a hit. Meanwhile, the promise of Cyberpunk was always to deliver GTA science-fiction with Witcher 3 writing. It demanded they deliver a Rockstar world with a Witcher narrative. Their own commercials for years painted that picture.

The failure of Cyberpunk occurred when no one (or at least anyone with influence) at the top of CDPR stopped & asked themselves whether they could even deliver a first person GTA with Witcher level writing... on all platforms. The answer was no. Because anymore delays would have put the game into hilarious territory where it was in production for 5, 6, 7, 8 years (depending on whether people consider 2013 the real start of development or not). So just build on Witcher 3, make Witcher 4 a cross-gen title (with their game engine & foundations already in place) & voilà, the company is saved. I just don't think people quite realize what sort of rabbit hole 3d art (& game design) really is. It took Rockstar over a decade to build on their ps2 era foundations & deliver GTA 5. CDPR thought they could do it in 5 years (or less). Nope. Open world shooters are probably one of the hardest most complex genres to pull off, whether in third person or first person. This whole misadventure screams "hubris" & a failure of CDPR to understand their own limitations in terms of talent, manpower & time.

It's easy to write this once the dust had settled of course, but it needs to serve as a warning to everyone in the business, i.e. build on your strengths & don't play with fire, aka just because the studio made an acclaimed fantasy RPG which was improved upon in successive entries over nearly a decade, it doesn't mean they're qualified to make a science-fiction open world shooter RPG.

TeamGizzyy

Banned
Mentally ill game reviewers that are confused about what bathroom they use got a "pick on this game for free without penalty" card they are using.

Because of a perceived slight against their people.

If cdpr had catered to them to the extent that they wanted all these articles would be about how its a great game and patches are incoming.

Manufactured crisis

Broken games release all the time. The pearl clutching on this one is truly amazing

I do feel for the people playing on lower spec machines though. It does suck.

Last edited:

Woggleman

I am by no means an alt righter and I am pretty liberal on most things and I still can't figure how this game is bigoted or sexist. I just don't get it. It has some very complex and well written female characters, women in leadership positions and plenty of strong women in general. What is their problem?

It kinda feels like a conspiracy. Somehow the Twitter mob got their way and managed to get everyone to almost universally pan the game. Cancel culture won in a blaze of glory.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It kinda feels like a conspiracy. Somehow the Twitter mob got their way and managed to get everyone to almost universally pan the game. Cancel culture won in a blaze of glory.

There's no conspiracy. They released the console versions in an unacceptable state. If this were a PC-only release at first, the tone would be completely different.

They fucked up. They completely deceived their largest user base and sold a broken and awful product to them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forsythia

The game is out, it shouldn't have to be fixed down the road. There are also problems that go much deeper than bugs.

Ofcourse the game should have been delayed more for at least six months, I'm not saying there isn't anything wrong with the game. But people are acting like it's the most horrendous release ever, which simply isn't true. Complain, give feedback, get a refund, sure, but the game simply isn't the worst thing ever released.

Cyberpunk 2077 made something incredible if you ask me
There were 2 different factions:
People who would hate it no matter what and people who would defend it no matter what
CDPR was able to unite them and now everyone is angry. I've seen folks that are extremely hyped, pre-ordered the game, shared every piece of news on social media, and now laugh at every bad news this game gets.

Its Game of Thrones all over again.

Batiman

Banned
My face is tired

582vblg.jpg
Is this superman 64?

There's no conspiracy. They released the console versions in an unacceptable state. If this were a PC-only release at first, the tone would be completely different.

They fucked up. They completely deceived their largest user base and sold a broken and awful product to them.
Damn, they got to you too.

Gp1

It's somewhat overblown and i hardly doubt that half of the "critics" are playing the game. But there are definitely a myriad of problems, specially on last gen hardware.

That said, I'm playing the game on a half assed dated PC and I'm still having a blast. Easily one of the best games of the year.

And if we compare cyberpunk with all his bugs against any ubisoft open worlds yearly junkie food, I'll choose Cyberpunk every single time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, they got to you too.

I'll admit, I haven't played it myself on last gen, but are all of those videos and performance breakdowns lies? I don't think so.

I'm enjoying the hell out of the game on PC, but it's a travesty what PS4 and XBO owners got. Even the PS4 Pro and XSX owners got something that was far less than ideal, albeit playable.

ruvikx

Banned
I don't really see the natural outrage like with Mass Effect Andromeda or Last of Us 2. Players are quite fine with the game, especially on PC where the score is positive. Journos waited a week after reviews and now started bashing it. It's almost like a memo arrived or something. Also, 4chan noticed that a lot of 1/10 reviews on Metacritic are written by new accounts who only rated Last of Us 10/10 and Cyberpunk 1/10.
Well, they didn't really have the PS4/One versions till later. They still had to play those version to find all these bugs/issues, that took time. Let's not forget that every reviewer was only given the PC version early. Wouldn't that explain the timeline? I have a hard time believing that a memo went out... what would be the reason for them doing thing? What has CD Project RED done to them? They haven't screwed any of the outlets in the past, right? They've been looked at as pro-consumer, I just don't see an end goal for all of them to agree to "fuck" CDPR.

BeardGawd

Banned
Where’s that from then?
Looking at the guy in the bottom right, that's Gautoz from gamekult.com, a French site: Gamekult dit au revoir à Gautoz (tu vas nous manquer) - Actu - Gamekult

He did a live gaming session over a week ago where he showed ps4 gameplay in all its "glory". In the quoted footage, it's absolutely legit gameplay where the textures take ages to load (hence the ps1-esque textures on the npc's).
I have an XSX and after viewing that video I installed the game on my Xbox One S(which should be worse than the PS4 version) just to see how terrible it would look and I was surprised that it doesn't look like that video. He was either playing before the day 1 patch, a glitch, or was playing off some crappy external HDD or something. The framerate is ass but the textures and geometry don't normally look like that. Check Digital Foundry's Xbox One S footage if you want a more accurate representation.

Edit: here's a more accurate video

Last edited:

Paltheos

Very much enjoying my copy on PC. For sure there are periodic visual bugs of varying awfulness but I've only had one gameplay one and none of them have been deal breakers for me. I totally buy into the game's aesthetic, and that's enough for me to overlook everything else.

I think one of the reasons the backlash is so strong is because CDPR were intentionally hiding footage and not being honest about their performance on the last generation versions. Even the other controversial or universally hated games never did anything like that to my knowledge.

HE1NZ

Banned
Well, they didn't really have the PS4/One versions till later. They still had to play those version to find all these bugs/issues, that took time. Let's not forget that every reviewer was only given the PC version early. Wouldn't that explain the timeline? I have a hard time believing that a memo went out... what would be the reason for them doing thing? What has CD Project RED done to them? They haven't screwed any of the outlets in the past, right? They've been looked at as pro-consumer, I just don't see an end goal for all of them to agree to "fuck" CDPR.
Too pro consumer perhaps. Makes EA and Sony look bad.

This poll is a joke, just like anyone defending CDPR. We've had broken games before, and they should've had this level of response too. Gamers have lowered their standards to a frustrating degree. I would love to see this level of backlash for every game that releases, especially now that apparently games are so great they warrant a $70 pricetag. I expect near flawless performance when I spend my money and an experience as advertised. The whole "what did you expect on old hardware" is a fucking disgusting opinion and people should feel ashamed for even suggesting that.

Seriously, if you are on the defense force go fuck yourself. This industry needs to be consumer focused first and foremost and it hasn't been for a long time because of people like you dismissing shit like this. From games "journalism" to the companies themselves, there needs to be a reckoning. I'm glad a high profile release like this just got bitch slapped. The response to EA's BF2 should've been a warning to the industry, but it didn't take. Im not going to cry tears for CDPR just because they previously released one of my favorite games of all time. If anything they deserve it more for taking advantage of that goodwill.

Fuck anti consumer practices, and fuck these practices extra hard that take advantage of an emotionally invested target audiences. And fuck those who defend them.

Royal-Slime

Banned
Im not going to cry tears for CDPR just because they previously released one of my favorite games of all time
That's called "entitlement" and "lack of appreciation". You should have used your head and understood that a next-gen game is not going to work good on a 7 year old console. Nobody owes you anything and you should be very thankful CDPRed is doing refunds out of their pockets. Try to demand that from Ubisoft and EA, let me know what happens :p

Nobody owes you anything. End of the story. Bought a broken game - your fault. It was crystal clear that the game is not ready and is essentially an "early access".

Last edited:
I'll admit, I haven't played it myself on last gen, but are all of those videos and performance breakdowns lies? I don't think so.

I'm enjoying the hell out of the game on PC, but it's a travesty what PS4 and XBO owners got. Even the PS4 Pro and XSX owners got something that was far less than ideal, albeit playable.
I wasn’t actually serious. Although, it is interesting how both Twitter and Resetera campaigned for the failure of the game, and the game ended up being a complete disaster if you didn’t have a mid to high end PC. A complete stretch for a conspiracy, but it’s almost like the failure was willed into existence.

I know that’s not how it’s works, I’m being silly.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
To me, the reaction is overblown due to two reasons. First, the game was HYPED. It was the second game from the Witcher 3 guys and everyone had high expectations, and rightfully so. The game was being hyped since right after end of 2012. Secondly, and this is the reason the reaction is overblown, is that the crowd that called CDPR 2077 transphobic have jumped on the opportunity to trash them as much as they can. These are the same people who love TLOU 2 story and narrative.

Just an honest assessment.

I think you make a really valid point. The game was so overhyped that even if was flawless and bug-free at launch some people would still be bitching about it because no game could ever live up to the 7 years of hype CP2077 has enjoyed.

The fact that it is definitely NOT flawless, bug free and is almost unplayable on PS4 & X1 combined with the years and years of insane hype have created a situation of extreme disappointment and dissatisfaction for some people.

The hatred and trashing by the SJW Twitter mobs and the crazed REEE Asylum patients has most likely also contributed to the over-the-top negative reactions to CDPR and CP2077.

The backlash goes too far, but significant backlash is appropriate.

Would have been avoided with a normal developer but people had to build up CDPR to this God-like status that was ridiculous...

In the future they should stick to developing for PC and then focus on console ports when they are ready.

harmny

Banned
the only joke is that i'm tired of open world videogames where i can't follow npcs for 24 hours to see what they do. i want to have conversations with them. i want to be friends with them. call them to hang out with me. every single npc on the street needs to be realistic and comment on everything i do. also the crime system... deep learning police ai is really the next generation gaming we want. microsoft and sony are sleeping on this. i want hardware accelerated deep learning police ai. i want to commit crimes and pay for them in a procedural realistic manner. i don't even do quests. who does them? is this 1995?

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Is it perfect? No. Is the backlash warranted? I personally don't think so. Will it improve? Of course.

The biggest faults for the game exist on previous gen consoles. Though some next-gen users aren't happy with the current performance. Surely it'll improve when the next-gen versions are done and released. At least I'd hope so.

I've really enjoyed my time with the game on PC, though it's far from perfect. It's a first attempt at this style of game for CDPR, and in that regard it's pretty impressive. But it definitely could've been a lot better with more time, consultation, experienced hires, etc. The team is definitely talented, but in a lot of ways it was obvious that this kind of game was new for them. Maybe even too ambitious. So a lot of mechanics that were expected felt shallow or were completely absent. Maybe after all the patches, DLC, and updates this will improve. Or maybe it will be in the sequel assuming that'd happen.

The response has just been so loud because it was so incredibly hyped. Hell, my personal experience with Fallout New Vegas on 360 at launch was worse than this. Especially with game breaking bugs. I know there are other games out there that had it worse but the noise wasn't as loud because it wasn't hyped and didn't have massive expectations.

That's called "entitlement" and "lack of appreciation". You should have used your head and understood that a next-gen game is not going to work good on a 7 year old console. Nobody owes you anything and you should be very thankful CDPRed is doing refunds out of their pockets. Try to demand that from Ubisoft and EA, let me know what happens :p

Nobody owes you anything. End of the story. Bought a broken game - your fault. It was crystal clear that the game is not ready and is essentially an "early access".

I didn't buy the game. And wtf are you talking about? If I bought the game, they owe me a functional game. Don't sell a game for a platform it can't perform on. END OF STORY. A friend texted me this morning that he is 3 hours in and is going to stop playing because the game is a broken mess, and how disappointed he is. I guess I should have texted him back that he lacks appreciation and it's his fault.

Yours is the most idiotic opinion I've ever heard. I honestly can't believe there is someone out there who has the both the mental capacity to operate a computer and to have that opinion. We should be thankful????? Jesus Christ what is wrong with you.

Imagine a world where paying money to someone for a product makes you "entitled".

Three

The only joke here is people still defending this company.

Look at the original release dates and then ask yourself if the "last gen consoles are old" excuse is a valid one.
Wasn't everyone saying multiple SKUs are also not a problem anyway? The delays weren't enough to lower them 'sliders'?

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
The problem is the game got too hyped up and released too early

It's a good game with lots of issues.

The backlash is unsurprising.

MangalaX

Neo Member
I've been playing this on PC and even though the game has great ideas it falls short of its vision because of the many features that were removed like the FLATHEAD spider bot, some of the other classes or paths and dont get me started of the worst problem: the AI....omg its horrible, I don't even know how is possible in this time and age, I mean look at games like HALO, Half Life, damn even FALLOUT AI is better than this....I just feel disappointed, because I love the asthetics, but in the end is just very shallow...

Chittagong

Gold Member
The game was released in an embarrassing state. Floating phones, stuck subtitles, people speaking through the walls.

Mostly embarrassing stuff I could waive away, but what really pissed me off was all Delamain missions being failed after I abandoned one of them realising I was too early. No way to get them back it seems

Top Bottom