• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the backlash to Cyberpunk a joke?

Is the backlash to Cyberpunk 2077 a joke?

• Yeah, hardly the first game to stumble, won't be the last, will be patched. The game itself rocks.

Votes: 200 36.6%
  • Yeah, it's a bit embarrassing for CDPR but it's part and parcel with that level of ambition.

Votes: 97 17.7%
  • Yeah, my take below..

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • No, my take below..

Votes: 20 3.7%
  • No, this is the most hyped game ever and a pretty smug company has buggered it up

Votes: 157 28.7%
  • No, this is a nigh-on criminal stuff up and the game should be incinerated.

Votes: 33 6.0%
  • I've no opinion on the backlash

Votes: 33 6.0%

• Total voters
you and me both, just a few days ago i saw articles saying they had already made up the cost of development, i hope they get that money back with some rapid and impactful patches~

I mean mentally. While we all know you have to celebrate the team, the great games are made by handfuls of individuals. Early iD Software days, Valve, Houser at Rockstar. The OG Bungie braintrust. Zampella and West created CoD, took a break and created Titanfall which became Apex.

CDPR the company will survive but I hope this negativity doesn't drain the core people who make the games so good. Companies don't make good games. Look at Ubisoft. No one who worked on Watch Dogs Legion loved that game. 343i and all the money in the world can't make Halo. Bioware... DICE...

Shout out to Monolith, Remedy and KojiPro. That's damn near all we got left outside of CDPR.

Jada

Banned
Not trying to start something here, but I've noticed that a lot of the vocal opponents of Cyberpunk are massive Playstation fans (on twitter, resetera, etc) but I can't figure out why. Some of them REALLY wanted this game to fail.
Plenty of Playstation owners were huge fans of Witcher 3, which sold wonderfully on the PS4, so it only follows they’d be pissed by CPDR’s lies and the state of CP2077 on the Playstation family of consoles.

Cyberpunkd

I'm personally in the "this game, like Witcher 3 and so many other games, will be patched - PS4/xbone users shouldn't expect much on a console from 2013" camp.

Can we stop with this line of thinking? Gamers can expect the company to be transparent with them. Everything CDPR did was designed to hide the fact the game performs badly on base PS4 / XBONE, starting with showcasing almost always the PC version, displaying only PS4 Pro, One X and next-gen footage when pressed for console footage, all the way to sending only PC review codes and even mentioning a few months back the game ran “surprisingly well” on last gen base consoles. Now we know they probably meant “900p at 20FPS and not 720p at 15FPS as we were expecting”.

The state of the game on last gen consoles is completely unacceptable, and it should never have been released on them.

The half arsed effort put in for a dodgy XSX/S patch, not also being done for the PS5 too, despite that being the bigger of their two current gen audiences, is similarly unacceptable even with a marketing deal in place.

CDPR have shown total contempt for their console audience, and even more so for the most popular of the two console customer bases.

They knew the game was fucked on last gen consoles, and they hid that fact to sell a substandard product to unsuspecting customers

People are absolutely within their rights legally and morally to be pissed off at being miss sold something like this.

It seems like journos are piling up on the game. Almost like they're following a certain website's que or something. Was surprised seeing Modern Vintage Gamer shitting on the game and making a useless video on how necessary it was to cancel the game on PS.
Nah, I think it's far too easy to always blame the "media" and say there is some kind of "big consipiracy" how about maybe this time it's the other sides fault? Now, I'm not saying the game is a disaster, but i have put over 20 hours into the game on PS5 and I have encountered numerous glitches and over 2 dozen hard crashes, more than 5 of those crashes happened after 10 minutes of returning to the game. I'm playing on PS5. I still enjoyed the parts that I've played, but at this point the crashes and bugs have become too frequent and frustrating for me to keep playing the game. I've put it away for when the next gen versions are released.

I think some of us are so eager to say "it's the media" but when you have all this evidence of them purposely keeping a version of the game "secret" and them basically admitting they did keep it a "secret" come on... maybe this time it isn't the media's fault, at least not all their fault? Or should we just keep defending some mega corporations and not others?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
tenor.gif

I get people here are obsessed with anything related with CDPR, but do you guys really have to filled entire GAF with Cyberpunk threads

1 or 2 thread is enough, it’s starting to become really annoying at this point.

PerfectDark

Banned
Same devs that made The Witcher 3. The most boring, generic, vanilla game I ever played. I never understood the hype. Any game that gets delayed more then once will fail. I don't think people understand how outdated ps4 and xbox one are. I own a PS5, Series X. Even these consoles feel like they will be behind quick in the next few years. When I play games on my next gen consoles it feels like these consoles were made 3 years ago.

MB its all the crap games im playing. Vallhala, NBA 2k21, Cold War. 2k says NBA 2k is next gen new engine. Game looks like they just sold me the same game but pc version.

MMaRsu

Banned
The only joke is people like you trying to downplay this huge fuck up.
Games that release in this state should get backlash if CP2077 was just another in a list of bad games then it would still deserve what it's getting.

But it's even worse. The outright lied about their performance right before release and then hid it until after launch day.
Not to mention even if you looks past the bugs it's just a mediocre unfinished game.

😂😂😂😂 Like this, what a fucking joke.

What did they lie about?

They said it ran surprisingly well on base consoles? For its shit hardware, I think they were right.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
There's no conspiracy to take down Cyberpunk. Sony, MS, Best Buy are not ResetEra drones, they do business.

CDPR explained with an open letter they needed the consoles gamers money to make their AAA games and cannot just release on PC alone.
They choose to release Cyberpunk on last gen consoles, nobody force them.
They purposely hide the last gen versions, send PC only review copies to media across the world with strong NDA and then release a joke/mess of a game on these machines.
The backlash is proportionate to the hype they build, selling a shamefull hot garbage to console gamers because, you know, they need their money... forgetting their respect.

It doesn't mean that Cyberpunk is a bad game. It's actually a good game when running properly.
Also I don't buy the "PS4/xbox one are too old" narrative. Last gen consoles are not expected to run as smoothly/good looking than next gen ones, but with some effort it can run graphically ambitious games like any Assassin's Creed for instance. But for that you need to put some effort instead of downgrading everything 3 notches below and leaving crashing bugs and beta graphic anomalies everywhere.

CDPR devs are talented peoples. They just weren't allowed to finish the last gen version of Cyberpunk and force to release a buggy insulting mess.
The game will be patched as customers are entitled a reasonnably bug free experience.
I hope this was a red line and a lesson to all publishers. Releasing AAA games with 8 years (!) of devellopment as an instable ridiculous ugly joke of a game on a 150+ millions consoles market while hiding this state until release day is not something to let it pass as ok.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

😂😂😂😂 Like this, what a fucking joke.

What did they lie about?

They said it ran surprisingly well on base consoles? For its shit hardware, I think they were right.
... are you insane?

Are you suggesting that it's perfectly normal for a console to have an AAA game running like this because it's 7 years old?

If the console can't handle the game, the game shouldn't be released in the console. Simple.

They should either downgrade everything to the point that performance is acceptable on the PS4/X1 versions, or scrap those versions altogether. Or, if it's a glitchy piece of shit on the base PS4, have the base PS4 version cost 5 bucks. You shouldn't pay 60 bucks for a game that looks like shit, plays like shit, and has NPCs with an AI reminding you of the PS1 days.

Not to mention they straight covered up the horrible performance of the base console versions.

Last edited:

HE1NZ

Banned
Nah, I think it's far too easy to always blame the "media" and say there is some kind of "big consipiracy" how about maybe this time it's the other sides fault? Now, I'm not saying the game is a disaster, but i have put over 20 hours into the game on PS5 and I have encountered numerous glitches and over 2 dozen hard crashes, more than 5 of those crashes happened after 10 minutes of returning to the game. I'm playing on PS5. I still enjoyed the parts that I've played, but at this point the crashes and bugs have become too frequent and frustrating for me to keep playing the game. I've put it away for when the next gen versions are released.

I think some of us are so eager to say "it's the media" but when you have all this evidence of them purposely keeping a version of the game "secret" and them basically admitting they did keep it a "secret" come on... maybe this time it isn't the media's fault, at least not all their fault? Or should we just keep defending some mega corporations and not others?
I don't really see the natural outrage like with Mass Effect Andromeda or Last of Us 2. Players are quite fine with the game, especially on PC where the score is positive. Journos waited a week after reviews and now started bashing it. It's almost like a memo arrived or something. Also, 4chan noticed that a lot of 1/10 reviews on Metacritic are written by new accounts who only rated Last of Us 10/10 and Cyberpunk 1/10.

lucius

No because even though the stock drop it will go back up and this won’t affect them that much. The meat of the game is closer to PC user score 7.1 than that 87% so barely an 8 . The world is cool and they could have their next Witcher 3 in this world someday. I want BioWare, Bethesda and CDPR even after these type stumbles to get back to their greatness but they made some strange decisions with the game. You could play the console versions one hour and know we can’t release this as is, it almost makes no sense.

Jakk

How can someone consider this whole thing overblown? Have you even seen the game running on old consoles? It's almost unplayable. Don't get me wrong, I'm playing the game on PC and even though there are bugs everywhere, it is playable and I'm enjoying it. That doesn't change the fact that they promised polished experience (coming when it's ready LOL) and they released an unfinished, buggy game.

Ramesses

Neo Member
Playing on ps5.
The game is not where it should be, it crashes for me every couple of hours.
However I am still really enjoying it and finding it really compelling.
I don't think the way they have treated ps4/xbone owners is right.

Part of the backlash was precipitated by trans activist, who have had it in for the game for a long time, for nonexistent transphobia. How many games let you create a chick with a dick?

MMaRsu

Banned
... are you insane?

Are you suggesting that it's perfectly normal for a console to have an AAA game running like this because it's 7 years old?

If the console can't handle the game, the game shouldn't be released in the console. Simple.

They should either downgrade everything to the point that performance is acceptable on the PS4/X1 versions, or scrap those versions altogether. Or, if it's a glitchy piece of shit on the base PS4, have the base PS4 version cost 5 bucks. You shouldn't pay 60 bucks for a game that looks like shit, plays like shit, and has NPCs with an AI reminding you of the PS1 days.

Not to mention they straight covered up the horrible performance of the base console versions.

I agree they should downgrade even more
They didnt cover anything up, publishers always send out the best versions for review thats the same since the ps2 xbox days

Krisprolls

Banned
I like the game a lot as a mostly linear action adventure game but the problem is the marketing about this game was extremely disingenuous, which is something that's totally forgotten in the middle of the bugs / console performance outcry :

- they showed us Night City NPCs living their life, except all we got in the game was braindead zombies

- they showed us the only mission which had a relatively complex structure (the Maelstrom gang), it was not representative of the final game where quests are mostly linear, like a playable movie.

- they showed us a destructible wall, but it was nearly the only one in the game

- they showed us sequences which weren't even in the final game like V on her bed or in the bathroom...

- they promised us choices would matter but the story is extremely linear, mostly like a Naughty Dog story... Changing choices don't change the quests much.

It was a lot of lies and half lies. I'll remember I can't trust them next time they show us their future game.

When you add bugs and unplayable versions to all those lies, they 100 % deserve the backlash they get.

Last edited:

TheAssist

Went on media blackout for the game, so I still dont know why people were upset even for release, but I also dont care.

Bought the game on PS5. Worst looking game I played on there such far. Not just because its basically a PS4 title, but the game looked so "unstable". Everything was flickering, stiff popping in left and right, janky animation and everything that was further than 10 meters away dissolved in some weird haze which made the game look incredibly blurry. I played enough games this year on my PS4 Pro and still, this was the worst looking game of them all.

Also the UI was incredibly hard to read. Very low res and red/blue UI and text in a mostly blue and red world just doesnt mix well. I have difficulties seeing contrasts, but so far it has never been an issue in games (other than gamer tags in Battlefield 3 and 4, same problem there).

And at last, I played the game for about 90 minutes and already heard like 20 different names and had no idea what the fuck was going on. Very confusing from a narrative point of view. So it was really hard to get into the game. Just understanding the mechanics was hard because the UI was a struggle to read, the game constantly bombards you with graphical oddities and then throws name after name after name at you expecting you to make sense of it.

I refunded it. I'm also a fan of CDPR, so I might buy their definitive edition in a year or so on PC. We'll see. I am not mad or anything, stuff like that happens. Its why a decent refund policy is important and mandatory by law in Europe. Because even some of the "good" corporations sometimes suck and customers need to be protected from that. Its not our job to pay for the patches. If anything I hope people demand better refund policies from stores like PSN.

Sony, Microsoft and BestBuy allowing for unquestioned returns within a day of one another is a good indicator that the game was not ready for release.

Pretty much. Why does CDPro get a pass when Ubisoft, EA, SquareEnix or Bethesda get hate for launching broken games?

Ammogeddon

No the backlash is warranted but as always it gets whipped up into a frenzy.

There’s a big disparity between console and PC experiences.

I’m playing on XSX and it’s really not bad at all. It’s not quite living up to expectations of an immersive RPG experience but I’m still enjoying it.

sobaka770

Banned
I don't think it's a joke. But it's also not the disaster of biblical proportions. Here are things that are truly bad:

- Bugs - myriad of small and large bugs breaking quests, hanging up and crashing the game
- Some systems not working correctly - cops AI, traffic AI etc. - this is basic stuff for any open-world games
- Starting choices matter very little - apart from some dialogue choices if they wanted V to be a pre-defined character like Geralt they should've been transparent. As such whether you're a Nomad, Corpo or Street Kid you behave exactly the same and you're roleplaying almost a predefined character not the one you build yourself. (or at least 3 varieties based on background)
- Performance on base consoles - simply not acceptable. This is the biggest issue by far as 15-20 FPS game is not acceptable in 2020
- CDPR actively trying to hide the real performance on base consoles - it was scummy and anti-consumer. It should be a rule that a company is providing all versions for review not an exception handled by a hefty NDA.

Things are blown out of proportion:
- Full-blown city and NPC simulation - why did anyone expect NPCs with full day/night routine and systemic stuff in the game that is not advertised as such? Witcher 3 didn't have any of it and still was a great game.
- Player choice - CD Project has provided choices on how to approach missions, there was no promise that choices would lead to different story endings or outcomes. The variability of approaches to each mission is huge as advertised. Once again, one only has to look at the Witcher 3 to see how choices were all bundled together in a few key dialogue options for the ending and the story was linear AF.

Honestly, if it was just Skyrim-level buggy - that'd be fine. However CDPR walked into a perfect storm of double-delay (this was supposed to come out early in the year - what state was it in then??), incredible expectations and frankly broken game on base consoles that they tried to cover up. These last two things together are amplifying all the other minor gripes. Consumer trust is broken for those users. The good thing - bugs and performance can be fixed and improved. Even NPC AI can be improved. I say that CDPR needs to make the right steps of fixing the game, bringing some humility, then release a very polished DLC and rake in the cash. It's a year-long redemption story in the waiting and if they don't fuck up - by end of next year we'll be talking about how awesome CP77 actually is and excited for DLC2 and online.

Last edited:

Venom Snake

From a consumer perspective? Of course not. The console version is simply an incomplete product. Releasing the game in such state was a huge mistake, it is almost like a Russian roulette in which the stake is not only money, but also the company's good name and customer trust. This is highly unprofessional.

Also, the more hype you intentionally create, the more positive or negative feedback you can later expect. Especially if players have appreciated your work and its fruits so far.

Cyberpunk's fans seem to be more and more annoyed by this, but we all should benefit from it at some point. At least i hope so.

Last edited:

Vaelka

There's very legitimate concerns, but I think people are blowing it out of proportions too ( on PC at least, I get the last console vers are shit ).
I think some people are still really salty about how TLOU2 was received too and are getting on the bandwagon here now.
Especially since CDProjekt Red have had '' controversies '' in the past on social issues.

If you mean playing the game for 70, seventy hours, AND finishing it AND having the supreme gal of asking for a refund AND then going on a forum to brag about the fact, yeah that's raunchy humour.

Platform-holders should begin an immediate crackdown on abusive returns. If some people lack a spine, perhaps a cybernetic implant can be arranged in the form of a polite but firm "Heck, No" to their requests. The fact CD Projekt RED unequivocally screwed-up does not excuse or legitimize piracy, abusing the return policy or other similar wrongdoings.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

I don't give a rats ass when a console came out. If your sell a console game, it should work reasonably well on the hardware its sold on. If it can't, don't sell it.

When, most of the big hitters for ps4 in 2020 can come out, and run beautifully on base consoles, I'm not hear none of these fanboy excuses.

Cdpr deserves all the flak their getting for their Greed.

Seeing threads like these is just a reminder of the lack of empathy in the world. It's a real fucking shame.

Last edited:
It's the most hyped up game of the last years.

Off course it gets the most flak for stuff like this happening.
And because they said the game was already finished months ago, they were just working on the bugs. They also said it ran really well in last gen consoles and why wouldn't it if the fucking game has only been released for last gen consoles and pc!!!. People forget the game they're playing on their XSX is a fucking xbox one game. CDPR are fucking liers, they lied to the consumers and deceived them. They didn't show a single frame of the game running on console. I don't understand how people don't get this game is unplayable on a PS4 or Xbox one, it just doesn't work. They were selling a product that doesn't work, they were essentially scamming you.

Tschumi

They just dropped a 15gb patch today so..
I rerolled today, after the update, and i was so struck by how much better it seemed to look and run that i almost wanted to post a thread about it.. but i couldn't be sure it wasn't just an artifact of, whatever, subtlely shifting where i sit in my couch or something :p but yeah, definitely feel more optimistic about the game after this reroll~

Tschumi

No because even though the stock drop it will go back up and this won’t affect them that much. The meat of the game is closer to PC user score 7.1 than that 87% so barely an 8 . The world is cool and they could have their next Witcher 3 in this world someday. I want BioWare, Bethesda and CDPR even after these type stumbles to get back to their greatness but they made some strange decisions with the game. You could play the console versions one hour and know we can’t release this as is, it almost makes no sense.
That's a great take, thanks very much, opened my eyes on a few things~

The backlash for the console versions and how they have hidden it is justified. No sympathy from me, that was a moronic thing to do and I hope they learn from this. Management needs to change, someone or all of them need to go. This pretty much tarnished if not totally ruined their really good name.

The backlash the game gets in general is typical internet circle jerk, as Ninja in post #2 already said. It's buggy, yeah, but that goes with most open world multi plats and this isn't the first time that a game launched in a broken state. No Man's Sky was a disaster on all fronts (constant crashes, bugs and bad performance everywhere), Batman Arkham Knight on PC, Final Fantasy XIV which also needed a relaunch, Fallout 76... look at Battlefield 4, WWE 2k20 or Assassins Creed Unity.

When I think further back... man Gothic 3 was a disaster at launch as well.

Shit like this happens, it sucks and it shouldn't happen, but it does... and I also blame Sony and MS here, they have a certification system. They shouldn't blindly trust developers.

If Cyberpunk isn't reward for its ambition, the industry will get worse. It's a sad state of affairs to be in for everyone. Haven't played the game, but them's the brakes.

In short; If you shit on Cyberpunk, you're playing yourself. But I can sympathize with the short-sightedness because I've been there before.

cireza

I get people here are obsessed with anything related with CDPR, but do you guys really have to filled entire GAF with Cyberpunk threads

1 or 2 thread is enough, it’s starting to become really annoying at this point.
Ignoring threads based on a word would be a good feature.

BaneIsPain

You need some balance. It somewhere between exaggerate and serious issue. It sucks for the last gen users and some has really high expectations. (I’m having a blast on PC (90 hours plus) despite have some oddities need to restart)

MMaRsu

Banned
You need some balance. It somewhere between exaggerate and serious issue. It sucks for the last gen users and some has really high expectations. (I’m having a blast on PC (90 hours plus) despite have some oddities need to restart)

The problem is PS4 fanboys are going crazy calling this the worst game, biggest dissapointment in gaming ever lmao fuck off nerds

Top Bottom