• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is next generation the last gen with physical games?

Mr Hyde

Sonys all digital PS5 kinda hints where the industry is going. MS has already dipped its toes with the X One SAD-edition and its rumored next gen Lockhart.

Lots of gamers are jumping ship and switching to digital. It's more convenient, it's friendly for the environment and publishers are getting a larger cut from sold units due to cutting out the middle man.

I believe next gen is the last where the majority of games comes shipped in physical boxes. If we want physical it'll be for select titles from niche companies like Limited Run and Superrare games. It'll be for collectors only.

And to be honest, I think that fucking sucks the big one. Can't imagine an all digital future for games. But that's the reality.

Rikoi

I don't believe physical will ever die until the whole world gets decent internet infrastructure.
Many of us are lucky to have a fast internet speed but not everyone has access to that.
I agree that fewer games will get a physical edition though, most low budget games won't provide one.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I prefer physical disc over digital because I stopped collecting games over 15 years ago, every game is basically a one and done and then get traded in once I complete them. With subscription services like Game Pass, EA Access and PS Now, I see gaming going more towards that as opposed to buying games digitally because why buy them for $60+ when you can just rent them for a $10 a month?

Dthomp

I don't believe physical will ever die until the whole world gets decent internet infrastructure.
Many of us are lucky to have a fast internet speed but not everyone has access to that.
I agree that fewer games will get a physical edition though, most low budget games won't provide one.

This. I think people on online message boards don't understand that a large large portion of the world just doesn't have the amazing internet that they think everyone has. Physical isn't going anywhere, the indie stuff never got physical releases anyway and that will just continue

The Fartist

Gold Member
This. I think people on online message boards don't understand that a large large portion of the world just doesn't have the amazing internet that they think everyone has. Physical isn't going anywhere, the indie stuff never got physical releases anyway and that will just continue
Assuming it will be another 7 year generation, I think it's very likely the larger portion of the world will have adequate bandwith for an all digital ecosystem. 5G will be everywhere.

Dthomp

Assuming it will be another 7 year generation, I think it's very likely the larger portion of the world will have adequate bandwith for an all digital ecosystem. 5G will be everywhere.

Possibly, but not everybody is in the financial situation to afford said internet. Not everybody is smart with their money, and may buy their kids one of these fancy new systems as a gift and not be able to afford the luxury of good high speeds. Just trying to remind people that those of us who spend time here, sit on reddit all day, are a small fraction of the population who buys video games. Gotta also keep in mind the second you start having everything require large bandwith and such you're at the mercy of your ISP deciding they want to price you out of said internet.

It is what it is, if gaming goes all digital, I have no issue stopping the medium. I have enough of a physical collection of games that I won't get through in my lifetime and won't support an all digital gaming industry. I like the option of actually OWNING something so that I can sell it later.

I am 95% physical, and I do believe it's over next gen. I'm not going to like it and my hobby gaming WILL change because of it. For all the money these guys will make for dig, they won't get it from me.

I do believe Nintendo will stick it out for a couple more gens. Color me that much more into Nin when that happens.

The Fartist

Gold Member
Possibly, but not everybody is in the financial situation to afford said internet. Not everybody is smart with their money, and may buy their kids one of these fancy new systems as a gift and not be able to afford the luxury of good high speeds. Just trying to remind people that those of us who spend time here, sit on reddit all day, are a small fraction of the population who buys video games. Gotta also keep in mind the second you start having everything require large bandwith and such you're at the mercy of your ISP deciding they want to price you out of said internet.

It is what it is, if gaming goes all digital, I have no issue stopping the medium. I have enough of a physical collection of games that I won't get through in my lifetime and won't support an all digital gaming industry. I like the option of actually OWNING something so that I can sell it later.
I see what you're saying and have a valid point but a lot of dirt poor 3rd world country's citizens today have cellphones with networks fast enough to upload video to Insta, Tik Tok, etc. The world will be vastly different seven years from now, just like it was vastly different seven years ago.

Also, that's their end goal, is to have all the keys to the castle, so they can lock away anything they want in their precious vault. Much like Disney is doing with their films.

Last edited:

SilentUser

Hopefully it won't, since having the option to buy digitally or physical is great. Can't see a reason why anyone would like to see physical disappearing when it does not affect the digital form at all.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
No, there are still places that internet is crap and disc is the way to go.

There is also a case in european court against Steam and Apple. They have stores that do not offer an alternative.... having a physical option in stores circumvents this legal matter.

So, unless they want to let another storefront on their hardware or be brought to court....physical has to be there.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I think the industry is big enough to allow a sizeable, boutique physical market. If it's profitable enough for no-names like Limited Run, Strictly Limited, i am 8 bit, etc then it's gotta be profitable enough for Sony and Nintendo. That's only logical. If physical was so undesirable and so unprofitable, we would not have seen these boutique outlets sprout and thrive this generation. I hope someone does a comprehensive documentary on them because I think they were one of the underdog heroes of this gen.

Why would these markets vanish in the transition to next gen? People have shown themselves willing to pay $30 or $40 (or even more) for a $5 to $15 digital game. It's profitable for all parties involved and the fans obviously are willing to pay for it. I'm seeing fewer genuine "limited" exclusives and a lot more games coming to retail with limited covers or goodies. this bodes well. It signals that even retailers are seeing profit in it and are more willing to carry these boutique releases.

And the existence of these physical copies in no way diminishes those who prefer digital. If the money is there, why not serve that market? I don't think I've seen a single physical boutique release that was not also a digital version.

The digital utopia still hasn't arrived and I don't think it will arrive any time soon. I wrote a thread on it a while ago

Physical keeps the digital stores honest. Take physical away and watch DRM, DLC, timed events, etc go even crazier

supernova8

Banned
If we assume the generation is going to be longer than, say, 5 years (almost guaranteed) then yes absolutely.

Already at the end of current gen a large proportion of all games sales are digital (on console) and as you know, PC game sales are pretty much all digital at this point and PC gamers don't seem to care so much.

I expect by the end of the next-gen (XSX/PS5) we'll have viable Netflix-style monthly subscription services that almost completely negate the need to buy games at all. Xbox essentially has an 'Amazon Prime Video' for games already (not necessarily great streaming unless you want to deal with the lag). You get a lot of content included in your subscription but have the option to buy other games (either new or the publisher isn't interested in XGP) outright.

Playstation is still behind in that regard unless I've missed something. I expect they'll be up to speed by the end of this coming generation.

I also expect that Gamestop will be gone before the end of the coming generation because as more stuff moves digital, there is less and less justification for such stores to even exist. We can get our reviews online, we don't need to get harangued for silly disc insurance or other up/cross-selling. Brick and mortar will eventually stop selling games once there's insufficient money in it for them, just like they did with PC games.... and with that gaming will be all digital!

Same thing happened with music, video.. already happened with PC games nearly 2 decades ago when CD keys became a thing.. and then Steam pretty much killed off physical PC game sales.

I suppose the issue is that people don't really trust Sony/Microsoft with the task of maintaining their games in perpetuity the way that Steam has been pretty much flawless. I can access my Steam account right now and play a game that I bought back in like 2004 and it just works. I personally don't care as long as there's, as I mentioned above, a viable and affordable subscription option. Especially if they offer the console itself dirt cheap in return for signing up for that subscription.

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

I certainly believe next gen is the last for physical discs, and I might go even further and suggest that it could be the last gen for digital too. Come 2027 or 2028 I expect streaming (the long-mooted Netflix of gaming, potentially with subscription services from Sony / Microsoft / Nintendo) may be so completely reliable and instantaneous that the notion of actually having to download a full game would seem like a major inconvenience.

I know that's an unpopular opinion but 7 or 8 years is a long time in tech, don't underestimate the pace of change.

Bryank75

Banned
I certainly believe next gen is the last for physical discs, and I might go even further and suggest that it could be the last gen for digital too. Come 2027 or 2028 I expect streaming (the long-mooted Netflix of gaming, potentially with subscription services from Sony / Microsoft / Nintendo) may be so completely reliable and instantaneous that the notion of actually having to download a full game would seem like a major inconvenience.

I know that's an unpopular opinion but 7 or 8 years is a long time in tech, don't underestimate the pace of change.
I would just stop gaming.... it would be so shit. The whole industry can burn if it goes that way.

The Fartist

Gold Member

This guy gets it.

The Fartist

Gold Member
It's a boiling frog. It happens slowly not overnight, in fact it's happening right now.
Yeah, Google jumped the gun early and are paying for it. Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo won't jump in untill it's close to perfect, game streaming that is. Which will probably be 7-8 years from now LOL.

Bryank75

Banned
It's a boiling frog. It happens slowly not overnight, in fact it's happening right now.
I will not pay for any subscription gaming.... anyone with a brain will also not do it. It is the worst case for consumers... it takes all your ownership and power away as a customer. All your consumer rights are flushed down the toilet the minute it becomes a service.....

You'd have to be braindead to just hand it all over to them.

I have 3 Switches in the house...if Nintendo is the only one offering physical and non-streaming, I'll stick with them. Easy solution.

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
Yep. I would put money on it.

I think people are going to be shocked by how well the Digital-Only PS5 sells.

MrS

Banned
No chance. People will always want the ability to trade games in. Physical copies are way cheaper in the UK also. You'd have to be a mug to pay PSN UK prices (unless you're account sharing).

brap

Banned
You better enjoy next gen cause it seems it'll be your last.

Seriously don't be so overdramatic. You'll buy digitally and you'll like it.
lol

3w453Qg.jpg

Chromata

Not just the convenience factor, but also the asking price for a game up-front. Games aren't getting any cheaper and there have already been many complaints about games at $60 let alone $70.

The majority of a game's sales and audience pick up a game for the temporary experience rather than the long term ownership of going back to it continuously. Completion rates for games average at 30-40% and (as hinted at by Troy Baker in a podcast) migration/conversion rates towards sequels are ~20%-30%.

Most people pick up games, play them, and drop them without even finishing them once. That seems strongly skewed towards a subscription based playstyle imo.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
Not just the convenience factor, but also the asking price for a game up-front. Games aren't getting any cheaper and there have already been many complaints about games at $60 let alone $70.

The majority of a game's sales and audience pick up a game for the temporary experience rather than the long term ownership of going back to it continuously. Completion rates for games average at 30-40% and (as hinted at by Troy Baker in a podcast) migration/conversion rates towards sequels are ~20%-30%.

Most people pick up games, play them, and drop them without even finishing them once. That seems strongly skewed towards a subscription based playstyle imo.
And you think that games without second hand market will suddenly become cheaper?

Sonys all digital PS5 kinda hints where the industry is going. MS has already dipped its toes with the X One SAD-edition and its rumored next gen Lockhart.

Lots of gamers are jumping ship and switching to digital. It's more convenient, it's friendly for the environment and publishers are getting a larger cut from sold units due to cutting out the middle man.

I believe next gen is the last where the majority of games comes shipped in physical boxes. If we want physical it'll be for select titles from niche companies like Limited Run and Superrare games. It'll be for collectors only.

And to be honest, I think that fucking sucks the big one. Can't imagine an all digital future for games. But that's the reality.

They said that 7 years ago when the PS4/XB1 came out. The reality is, physical media will live on in gaming, and rightly so. Not everyone has access to broadband internet, and that's just here in the US I'm talking about. COD: Modern Warfare on my PS4 Pro is over 240 GBs. Can you imagine how big games will be when the PS6 comes out 8 years from now, and expect people to download those massive games over a non-broadband network? Take a guess on how many people live out on the farms here in the US, where farmers often have been told that getting a landline internet connection from the poles out on the nearest road into their houses ranges from $10,000 to hundreds of thousands of dollars. The physical disc is going nowhere for the next decade and beyond.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I will not pay for any subscription gaming.... anyone with a brain will also not do it. It is the worst case for consumers... it takes all your ownership and power away as a customer. All your consumer rights are flushed down the toilet the minute it becomes a service.....

You'd have to be braindead to just hand it all over to them.

I have 3 Switches in the house...if Nintendo is the only one offering physical and non-streaming, I'll stick with them. Easy solution.

This is a bit extreme. Many, perhaps most, people play through a game and never touch it again. How is consuming media on a subscription service braindead if you never would want to re consume it in the first place? We must all be idiot fucktards for paying for cable TV for decades.

Bryank75

Banned
This is a bit extreme. Many, perhaps most, people play through a game and never touch it again. How is consuming media on a subscription service braindead if you never would want to re consume it in the first place? We must all be idiot fucktards for paying for cable TV for decades.
I never paid for cable TV, neither did my parents and I leave my mobile phone at work when I go home......
People complain about unfinished games, lower quality games and a lack of choice.... companies being predatory.... yet they want to hand MORE leverage over to the same companies, come on!

I buy and play games that I value and that are memorable...I do not play to cheapen my time or simply pass it. The whole idea of subscription gaming makes the hobby disposable...

Anyway Sony are terrible as services, they should know just to stick to products. That's where their expertise is. IMO

Last edited:

Dthomp

I may just not understand financials enough, but how is a 10 buck a month service supposed to be good for game makers? Don't games take a significant amount more time to make then a movie? Devs are supposed to work for years and years to make whatever change they'll see off these subscription models? MS pushed their service hard because they HAD to, how quick we forget what their vision of gaming was for us before they backtracked. I don't understand how an industry can thrive when I guess I'd assume there would be far less people capable of making games in a service world.

Everybody is entitled to their opinions, myself, I don't see physical media going anywhere. Department stores have shrunk sections because in general alot of areas in those stores have shrunk. Online ordering has made it so I get my physical copy on launch day without needing to step in a store as is, don't see that changing. The only times I buy digital is GaaS model stuff or games I expect to put hundreds of hours into, or play with my wife so we don't gotta buy 2 copies. Otherwise physical all the way, gonna make bank when I decide to cash out my collection one day.

Stuart360

Imo yes, in fact i expect the diskless PS5 to sell way more (and Sony will make sure by seeling at a much lower price), same with Xbox if they do a diskless version.
I'd be more comcerned about consoles themselves to be honest as i think there will be only one more gen after next (PS6/Xbox 5) before at least one of Sony or Microsoft will go streaming only, if not both.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Hopefully.

Should've happened with PS4/XB1. The sooner physical media dies the better! Haven't bought a disc for a console in 6 years. Last time I bought a disc for my PC was 15 years ago.
Why? Even today you can just buy all your games digitally, why physical copy should disappear?

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Unlikely. There will likely be another gen with physical games, but they will likely come on a cartridge.

The infrastructure just won’t be there in 4-5 years (when the design is finalized) to go digital only. Rurual US and Europe, the growing Asian and South American markets just won’t have internet good enough for digital only.

Beyond that, it’s likely.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Hopefully.

Should've happened with PS4/XB1. The sooner physical media dies the better! Haven't bought a disc for a console in 6 years. Last time I bought a disc for my PC was 15 years ago.

Ah yes, I too enjoy having my choices artificially limited and being told by publishers what I can/can't do with my games.

I don't see physical dying, but I do see it becoming niche/limited. There is no real reason to cut a good portion of your customer base like that. Especially when we are still a long ways off from having quality internet across the US, let alone other nations. Couple this with the data caps and ever increasing downloads, going digital only would hurt them more than help.

Bryank75

Banned
Imo yes, in fact i expect the diskless PS5 to sell way more (and Sony will make sure by seeling at a much lower price), same with Xbox if they do a diskless version.
I'd be more comcerned about consoles themselves to be honest as i think there will be only one more gen after next (PS6/Xbox 5) before at least one of Sony or Microsoft will go streaming only, if not both.
What happens when they realize they lost a load of customers, revenue and profits?
I'll fully move to Nintendo, I don't give a shit!

Last edited:

Stuart360

What happens when they realize they lost a load of customers, revenue and profits?
I'll fully move to Nintendo, I don't give a shit!
To be honest, thats the only saving grace for me to stop this happening. People always look at this subject from their own viewpoint, their own situation, 'my internet is amazing, and its uncapped!', but a lot of people are not in that situation, the ,majority of people i would think if you look at this 'worldwide'. Thats the ONLY way i see this not happening, if say in 10 years time, a lot of the planet still has crappy internet. These companies are not in the habit of purposely reducing their potential customer base, which is what they would certainly be doing if they went full streaming and the global internet infrastructure is not there yet.
Hopefully that is the case 10+ years from now.

Arkam

No way. Unless trajectory changes we will not hit it. Full digital needs fast internet, large storage and reworked DRM where you actually own something instead having an amorphous license to access something on a series or preconditions. So Digital will most definitely be the larger market share, but Physical will endure for a long while. Its like "photo real" graphics... always seem just one more gen away... again and again.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
To be honest, thats the only saving grace for me to stop this happening. People always look at this subject from their own viewpoint, their own situation, 'my internet is amazing, and its uncapped!', but a lot of people are not in that situation, the ,majority of people i would think if you look at this 'worldwide'. Thats the ONLY way i see this not happening, if say in 10 years time, a lot of the planet still has crappy internet. These companies are not in the habit of purposely reducing their potential customer base, which is what they would certainly be doing if they went full streaming and the global internet infrastructure is not there yet.
Hopefully that is the case 10+ years from now.
Or if people just didn't migrate.... look at Stadia.... you don't have to buy anything now, just the games and they have sales and free to play games.

People just don't bother because it has no value...there is no investment and no reason to use it anymore.

Complete loss of value, no coming back. That's why Nintendo protects the value of their products and games, they saw one fall of the entire industry.

Last edited:
I hope that won't happen! there's lots of poor people who can't afford buying full price or half or even less then that! and they relay on used games and trade them with other used games and with their friends!
No physical would make those poor people suffer! and we need to think about them because video games is for everyone to enjoy.

Top Bottom