• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Konami the most frustrating Company this gen?

SCB3

Recently I had an urge to replay the Metal Gear Games and I've not found a decent way to do it outside of a PS3 (of which mine is a Launch one and really slowing down) and realised that Konami really is awful, I mean look at this:

• No new MGS games since Survive
  • No New Castlevania games for a while
  • Super Bomberman R is pretty decent and there is a sequel
  • No remasters or remakes
    • On that point no outsourcing or allowing borrowing of their IP's
  • Or no easy way to play older titles unless they're in a Collection now (so wheres my MGS collection!)

My only other choice is Emulate them, I do own them all and tbh not opposed to emulating them (or playing the weird PC ports from GoG) but its just annoying

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
It is what it is, I guess.

If the rumors about Silent Hill projects are actually true, then perhaps Konami is planning some sort of comeback.
I personally think that games like Metal Gear will return someday, but on a smaller scale. No MGSV-sized projects anytime soon.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Hey guys …remember 89’s/90’s Konami?
I do, they were toe to toe with Capcom for the greatest third party pushing consoles to the limits both creatively and graphically. I swear they never made a dud for any system they released upon.

You start a game and see this

You knew you were in for greatness.

Last edited:

Caffeine

ye they need to wake up or something they need to pump out more collections and outsource their ip's its so much money left on the table
who ever is running the company doesnt know what hes doing.

Last edited:

manzo

Where have you been the past 5 years? Konami has nearly 0 in-house productions anymore, they ditched dedicated video games a long time ago. It's mostly mobage these days. All the console games bar Momotarou Dentetsu (already outsourced to Nintendo) and PES are made by outside contractors.

Until Kagemasa junior is out, they won't do anything above C scale games on consoles again. Which is never as the execs are all Kagemasa family tied.

Edit, holy shit this started already in 2015, so put that to 7 years...

Last edited:

SCB3

Where have you been the past 5 years? Konami has nearly 0 in-house productions anymore, they ditched dedicated video games a long time ago. It's mostly mobage these days. All the console games bar Momotarou Dentetsu and PES are made by outside contractors.

Until Kagemasa junior is out, they won't do anything above C scale games on consoles again.

Then why not outsource stuff, hell if I was them I'd license out MGS to Kojima

manzo

Then why not outsource stuff, hell if I was them I'd license out MGS to Kojima

Because why bother? Most of the zoomers growing up playing Minecraft and Apex Legends don't give a flying shit about Contra, Twinbee, Suikoden, Goemon or any Hudson brand that used to be big in the day like Tengai Makyou.

MGS will get a game here or there but mostly cashgrabs, Bomberman and other exploitable games will receive mobile and quick console ports for GaaS money.

Haggard

Banned
My impression was that they effectively abandoned big budget game development in favor of Pachinko machines and similar stuff. If their last releases are any indication that´s probably for the best.
The only thing "frustrating" about this is that they still hold those mentioned IP-copyrights.

Dude Konami is such a horrible company they attempt to BLACKLIST employees (in Japan) that decide to leave their company from ever working in the video game industry again. Many former Konami employees do not list Konami on their resume because the situation is so bad.
How is that possible? Sounds like people left on bad terms if they didn't leave a good chunk of their work experience on their resume.

Would then end up getting asked what they did in that block of time.

Ozzie666

Konami is worse than Sega in respecting their history and legendary games, or are they? really hard to tell. I can't believe Capcom is the only one out of the three to be a difference maker. I wish someone would separate Konami gaming and make real follow ups. Such a waste.

Bragr

Banned
Well, the post-2005 version of Konami seemed completely reliant on the Metal Gear Solid franchise to survive. Kojima kept them alive after the '90s.

SCB3

Konami is worse than Sega in respecting their history and legendary games, or are they? really hard to tell. I can't believe Capcom is the only one out of the three to be a difference maker. I wish someone would separate Konami gaming and make real follow ups. Such a waste.
SEGA at least release collections to newer hardware

Konami just straight up abandoned making video games several years ago. If you're patiently waiting on them for new games, then you're out of the loop.

Skelterz

Goemon being locked behind Konami is criminal they could easily make bank off those games, Goemon collection of 2d titles and a 3D collection easy money, They’d have to touch up the graphics a bit on the 3D stuff but aside from that it’s guaranteed cash.

anthony2690

Banned
You're being very generous by saying bomberman r is decent.

I think konami's collections have been excellent though myself, hopefully they give us a goeman one next :)

Skelterz

You're being very generous by saying bomberman r is decent.

I think konami's collections have been excellent though myself, hopefully they give us a goeman one next :)
Goemon being locked behind Konami is criminal they could easily make bank off those games, Goemon collection of 2d titles and a 3D collection easy money, They’d have to touch up the graphics a bit on the 3D stuff but aside from that it’s guaranteed cash.

CitizenZ

Banned
Who Is This GIF by Trombone Shorty

GrayFoxPL

Recently I had an urge to replay the Metal Gear Games and I've not found a decent way to do it outside of a PS3 (of which mine is a Launch one and really slowing down) and realised that Konami really is awful, I mean look at this:

• No new MGS games since Survive
  • No New Castlevania games for a while
  • Super Bomberman R is pretty decent and there is a sequel
  • No remasters or remakes
    • On that point no outsourcing or allowing borrowing of their IP's
  • Or no easy way to play older titles unless they're in a Collection now (so wheres my MGS collection!)

My only other choice is Emulate them, I do own them all and tbh not opposed to emulating them (or playing the weird PC ports from GoG) but its just annoying

There's a Bomberman R2

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Konami has been out of the industry for a long time now and there is probably no reason for them to come back. They clearly have other avenues generating money and are not dependend on making games.

It's just a shame that so many great IPs are stuck with em. But it does not makes for them to keep the IPs in case gaming becomes easily profitable again.

Last edited:

SCB3

Konami has been out of the industry for a long time now and there is probably no reason for them to come back. They clearly have other avenues generating money and are not dependend on making games.

It's just a shame that so many great IPs are stuck with em. But it does not makes for them to keep the IPs in case gaming becomes easily profitable again.
It'd be interesting to see how Covid affected them, they've been putting out Collections and New games recently

Salz01

Why is that?
Almost 2nd year in current gen:
-No official announcement of new game. (art work for factions 2 doesn’t count)
-Seems to focus/attention on HBO show
-Resources put into remake of old game that’s been done before, 70 bucks, no MP
-Patch for TLOU2 is 60., and free, but not native 4K (I could be wrong about this though)
-Charged for Uncharted 4 PS5 addition, i guess it was only 10 bucks, but no Mulitplayer, so if you want to play that still, you have to keep the PS4 version on file… I’ve been playing this again on PS5, yes it’s great at 60fps, but keep thinking they could have just patched it into the PS4 version.… for free.
It just seems to be set up to milk their existing IPs compared to Insomniac which have:

- 1 next gen net new only game
- 2 cross over gen games (spidey) each with next gen features. With continued support
- Transparent roadmap for future games ( Spidey 2 / Wolverine)

Almost 2nd year in current gen:
-No official announcement of new game. (art work for factions 2 doesn’t count)
-Seems to focus/attention on HBO show
-Resources put into remake of old game that’s been done before, 70 bucks, no MP
-Patch for TLOU2 is 60., and free, but not native 4K (I could be wrong about this though)
-Charged for Uncharted 4 PS5 addition, i guess it was only 10 bucks, but no Mulitplayer, so if you want to play that still, you have to keep the PS4 version on file… I’ve been playing this again on PS5, yes it’s great at 60fps, but keep thinking they could have just patched it into the PS4 version.… for free.
It just seems to be set up to milk their existing IPs compared to Insomniac which have:

- 1 next gen net new only game
- 2 cross over gen games (spidey) each with next gen features. With continued support
- Transparent roadmap for future games ( Spidey 2 / Wolverine)
- TLoU2 released in the same year as Miles Morales (both being PS4 games essentially)
- Uncharted collection is pretty similar to what was done to Spider-Man (but I guess Spider-Man yielded more interesting results).
- Insomniac right now has R&C Rift Apart over ND but soon ND will have TLoU Part I (a new gen only game, regardless if it's a remake or not).
- None of those Insomniac games are new IPs.

I think it's too soon to count ND out or to assume they aren't as productive as they were in the PS4 gen.

Last edited:

SCB3

- TLoU2 released in the same year as Miles Morales (both being PS4 games essentially)
- Uncharted collection is pretty similar to what was done to Spider-Man (but I guess Spider-Man yielded more interesting results).
- Insomniac right now has R&C Rift Apart over ND but soon ND will have TLoU Part I (a new gen only game, regardless if it's a remake or not).
- None of those Insomniac games are new IPs.

I think it's too soon to count ND out or to assume they aren't as productive as they were in the PS4 gen.
I agree, though the gap between Last of us 1 and 2 was so long

I'm not buying that cash in "Remake" though

I agree, though the gap between Last of us 1 and 2 was so long

I'm not buying that cash in "Remake" though
The Remake wasn't even ND's idea, it fell into their hands. I'm positively surprised by what I saw, I was expecting to hate it but I actually liked what I saw, huge graphical improvement at it being released PC helps it makes more sense.

I'm way more bothered by the lack of information on Factions, why are they so secretive about this game in an era where multiplayer games are developed quite openly?

Last edited:

Scotty W

Gold Member
No Konami’s prodits are through the roof. I would say EA and UBI for not doiing much in the way of nft’s and micros.

DZ_b_EZ

This generation as in Gen 9? No. That hat goes to Activision/Blizzard. As far as the eighth generation, A/B and Konami we're both trying to wear the same bullshit hat.

reforen

Konami has been dead since the MGS Survive release, who cares about them? if they release a new MGS is without Kojima and Fukushima, a new Castlevania? we already played Bloodstained, Silent Hill is under development, last Contra was almost DOA, basically Konami is living out from Yugioh and eFootball

Crew511A

I would say it's 343 or Activision. In terms of Konami, they're like Sega. Used to be top tier, but for my tastes, they're a non factor now. The best they can do is compilations from the glory days.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
It’s hard to watch the downfall of Konami and metal gear because gamers care so much about the company and franchise. As a casual fan a metal gear solid and death stranding cross over would be cool, metal gear solid 6 would open eyes again.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Im a huge Castlevania fan so yes. And before anyone says Bloodborne, I played it and loved it but I want real Castlevania.

Top Bottom