• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I really don't understand Microsoft's unwillingness to make remasters/remakes

Godot25

Banned
Basically the headline.

Microsoft had really pitiful 2022 in terms of first-party. There is no denying that. And while 2023 is looking strong with Hi-Fi Rush, Starfield, Redfall, Forza etc. I'm really confused, why is Microsoft so unwilling to make more remasters and remakes.
They have plethora of older games/IPs and remaking them would not cost that much money since they are remakes and can be outsourced to "lesser studios" and more importantly it could fill up Game Pass library in a big way, complementing new game releases.

Why on Earth there is no Halo 3 Anniversary with Blur cutscenes? Why no Fable II remaster/remake? Why there still is not Gears collection with first three games? Why there is no Bajno remake? Or remakes of older Rare games?

I get that Microsoft made all Age games with Definitive Editions. But those are PC oriented franchises and games.

Godot25

Banned
Because it will increase the impression they are unable to release new first-party titles, and have to dig into their back catalogue for new releases.
But how?
Let's say that they will release Hi-Fi Rush, Minecraft Legends, Starfield, Forza, Redfall and maybe Hellblade 2 this year. What harm it would be to also put Gears collection there?

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Stop asking for remakes.
facepalm.png

GametimeUK

We used to pay for remasters of old games so we could play them on our Xbox One and PS4. Now that Microsoft have cracked the code of backwards compatibility and provided resolution and framerate upgrades to a load of old games the traditional "remaster" is unnecessary (in a lot of cases). They've essentially stopped us paying for it and given it to us for free. It extends beyond Microsofts first party too. Mirrors Edge on Series X with VRR support is fantastic and it's not even a Microsoft exclusive. In terms of support for old games on modern systems Microsoft are kings of the space at the moment.

Last edited:

Alx

BC is fine. I play as many 360 games as newer generation ones and most of them aged well. I'm not gonna pay twice for higher-res textures or prettier effects.

They went down the compatibility route

Some remakes could be exciting but you need your studios on point. Perhaps in a few years they could.

Mr.Phoenix

It's just bad optics.

Sony can release a remake because its just one of like 4 games they are releasing that year. Or two of 7/8 games they have released in 2 years. A remake being one of 2 or 3 games released for the year just looks bad.

They are already getting stick over their output. Them not doing remakes right now is probably the smartest thing they are doing.

Notice I am saying remakes... there is a big difference between a remake and a remaster. Nothing really stops them from doing remasters. ut remasters are not going to move hardware. Or even push that many sales unless you are going on a new platform. But then they have the whole enhanced compatibility thing, which typically means that native support for their older games already means those games are `remastered`

Mr.Phoenix

Talking out of your ass I see. MS is not short of IPs. They are sitting on a lot of good ones, so I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion.
Everyone is sitting on a lot of good IPs. Having a lot of IPs to tap into doesn't mean you still aren't short on games that you can remake... or that you have the manpower to actually do it justice.

PJX

Everyone is sitting on a lot of good IPs. Having a lot of IPs to tap into doesn't mean you still aren't short on games that you can remake... or that you have the manpower to actually do it justice.
I never said anything about manpower. If you read my post you would have noticed that I specifically mentioned IPs. Also MS is not short on games that they can remake.

Jormatar

They can't be making remakes at the scale of Sony and Nintendo when they don't have the library for it. And they already struggle releasing new first party games which means even less time and resources for remakes.

Robb

Gold Member
I don’t mind them just relying on BC, but I also feel like remaking some of these old games, like Fable, would be a good exercise for their teams just to get more familiar with those titles and what fans expect.

Just handing stuff like Fable and Perfect Dark to new devs without prior experience making those titles feels risky. Could work out perfectly fine, but I don’t think people would mind quality remakes of past titles and it could result in better sequels.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
A lot of the backwards compatible library might as well be remasters with the sheer improvements they bring over their original releases.

With that said, I'd been keen for some AA-budget remakes - Blinx the Time Sweeper, Brute Force, Mech Assault. I'd go in for them, but I don't know how many else would.

Mr.Phoenix

I never said anything about manpower. If you read my post you would have noticed that I specifically mentioned IPs. Also MS is not short on games that they can remake.
Didn't say they were... said that having a lot of IPs you are sitting on is not the same thing as having IPs you can remake. Speaking holistically here, that's why I said, everyone.

Either way, my main point however is that it's more of an optics problem than anything else. Case in point? In the past 12 years, Xbox has released no more than 3 or so AAA new IPs. Ryse and Sea of thieves... you can throw in quantum break and sunset overdrive in there too. And of that only sea of thieves can actually claim to have the critical success to become maybe a franchise. The rest are AA and/or indies.

This is why their buying B/A... is so crucial. And that deal is not even finalized yet. let that deal go through, then we can comfortably say they are sitting on a ton of IPs that could warrant a remake or even a reboot.

DelireMan7

Remaster they provide for every game free of cost via their awesome backwards compatibility.
I profit of this thread for asking something I want to know since a while.

I am not familiar with the Xbox system but does the backward compatibility works for every games on every Xbox consoles ?
Like if I grab a physical copy of Lost Odyssey (X360) would it worked on the latest Xbox ?

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
And some people act like they don't want them but let Microsoft announce that they have been secretly working on an Otogi remake with From Software, The Coalition is doing a Gears of War 2 and 3 remake or Bethesda has been remaking Fallout New Vegas

People would be very hyped

Last edited:

Warablo

Halo: MCC was a good idea, but the online pvp matchmaking was borked for so long and scattered across numerous different modes.

Lasha

I am not familiar with the Xbox system but does the backward compatibility works for every games on every Xbox consoles ?
Like if I grab a physical copy of Lost Odyssey (X360) would it worked on the latest Xbox ?
It should. Its just one version on the Xbox store.

There's no point in doing remastered when you don't plan to monetize through traditional way. A remaster create less engagement and buzz on the subscription model, I'm sure they have plenty of numbers of people playing old games and they probably worth less than brand new indie games they can secure without investing in actual development, find studios and resources.
Probably they don't see worth or GamePass.

SScorpio

As long as you don't have the disk drive less Series S, then yes. You put the disk into your console and it automatically starts downloading the updated game from the Internet.

The disk then acts as a license and you just need it in the drive to play.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Because it doesn't move the industry forward. Remasters, ports, sequels...etc...can only last so long. They need fresh IP's and innovative titles.

Sony will be in a world of hurt soon unless they come up with some new stuff. They can't survive forever on sequels and remasters of Uncharted, Horizon , Last of Us and God of War. All of those sequels were met with middling responses (yes the scores were good but almost everyone says they were all just more of the same...or worse than the original).

Look at the release schedule this year and probably over 75% are sequels, spin offs, ports, remasters or reboots.................It's sad.

Last edited:

PJX

Didn't say they were... said that having a lot of IPs you are sitting on is not the same thing as having IPs you can remake. Speaking holistically here, that's why I said, everyone.

Either way, my main point however is that it's more of an optics problem than anything else. Case in point? In the past 12 years, Xbox has released no more than 3 or so AAA new IPs. Ryse and Sea of thieves... you can throw in quantum break and sunset overdrive in there too. And of that only sea of thieves can actually claim to have the critical success to become maybe a franchise. The rest are AA and/or indies.

This is why their buying B/A... is so crucial. And that deal is not even finalized yet. let that deal go through, then we can comfortably say they are sitting on a ton of IPs that could warrant a remake or even a reboot.
And my point is that they do.

Conker
Banjo Kazooie 1 & 2
Jet Force Gemini
RC Pro-AM
Crimson Skies
Midtown Madness
Mech Assault
Lost Odyssey

Just to name a few.

DelireMan7

As long as you don't have the disk drive less Series S, then yes. You put the disk into your console and it automatically starts downloading the updated game from the Internet.

The disk then acts as a license and you just need it in the drive to play.
Thanks for the info ! It sounds like a nice system :)

Not each and every game released on xbox is compatible. Apparently Xbox had to deal with some licencing/ ownership issues with releasing/ working on games.

Lost Odeyssey is compatible so should work. Best way to ensure it works is buy digital on store. All those are compatible.

😆. talking about not being able to read the room.

MS has been doing remake/remasters.

but they only had 3 main IPs and a handful of legacy ones.

plus, not long ago MS didn't have enough studios.

now that they have those studios you want them to make remakes and remasters? what a joke.

Edit: Furthermore, the upcoming games that people are more excited about are Project Dark and Fable.....two old ass IP; one wasn't really that good and the other one was run into the ground.

they are using nostalgia for the lack of creativity.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

If Sony and Nintendo offered Backwards compatibility - all the remasters they wasted time on - and gamers bought the same games all over again - would not be a thing.
Nintendo's entire MO has been to rerelease the WiiU library and now they are dipping into the Wii. People just love buying the same shit over and over I guess.

For MS, its well past time for all these 1st party acquisitions to start releasing new stuff - not remasters.

Lunarorbit

You can spend 7 years making starfield and keep delaying it with remakes sprinkled in or not. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Games are taking longer. You need shit to fill in the gaps. Hi fi rush looks awesome; there should be several games of this caliber coming out on Xbox each year.

I want to see Xbox thriving cause it pushes the other companies to keep working.

I would like to propose that they should add at least double the price of anything that is remastered or remade.
And for the first 5 years offer them only in special ultra expensive collectors sets with limited numbered statues, posters, wallscrolls and body pillows.

Top Bottom