• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it okay of Square Enix to not call it "Final Fantasy 7 Remake EPISODE/CHAPTER 1"?

Square Enix should ...

• Total voters
I've thought about this before.

Unless the first game is completely restructured to work as a standalone title, the story *will* be incomplete at the end. And yet afaik the game is being advertised and sold as 'Final Fantasy Remake' - no subtitle that indicates 'hey, this is only part of it!'.

If I didn't know about it, I'd be pretty pissed. I'm actually waiting for all parts to be released, because I've only played the original a littke bit and want to experience the story whole.

So, what do you think? Even if you're hyped for the game, isn't it kinda scummy?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
FF7 Yes We Split the game up into 3 parts and you are still gonna buy it!

Is this better?

mango drank

*looks at official cover art*

Well I'll be dipped. I expected them to put some kind of indicator on there that it's only the first one. What exactly are they going to call the next iterations then, to distinguish them from this first release?

My vote is to name them FFVII:R Disc 1, then Disc 2, and Disc 3, for nostalgia's sake. ;)

Bkdk

They will just call part 2 FF16 with some new characters and optional alternate story path plus a big open world with extra dungeons to explore.

Shantae

Banned
This is the one thing I've kinda been most salty about with this remake. For us in the enthusiastic scene, we know it's only gonna be 1 part of the game, and not the whole story. We've accepted it, and we know what to expect. We are a small percentage of people though, especially when you're talking about Final Fantasy 7, a game that was huge for the industry.

A lot of people just assume that if someone likes FF7, that they're a huge nerd already, and that they will know that it's only a part 1, but I don't think that's true. I think it's very likely that there are going to be people who see "Final Fantasy 7 Remake" on the shelf in a store, and think "wow, I remember loving this game on PS1, I'll pick that up"...to only take it home, and be confused why it ends after Midgard. I'd be pissed if I was that person. Why shouldn't they be when nothing on the packaging is leading them to believe that it's only a Chapter 1.

They're probably worried that calling it FF7 Remake Chapter 1 will hurt initial sales, and they're probably right, but they want to have their cake and eat it too. They want to release the long awaited FF7 Remake without actually remaking the whole thing at once, and get people to give them money now. It works out nicely for them, but not the unaware buyer who might be bummed.

Is this the first remake to be divided up into episodes like this?

I think it's a really shitty thing to do and I don't support it.

The last remake I played was RE 2. It was fantastic but if they chopped it in half and made the remake episodic I would have been pissed and not given them any money.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Is this the first remake to be divided up into episodes like this?

I think it's a really shitty thing to do and I don't support it.

The last remake I played was RE 2. It was fantastic but if they chopped it in half and made the remake episodic I would have been pissed and not given them any money.
To be fair in terms of scale RE2 isn't anywhere close as big as FF7.

Shantae

Banned
Yeah, back in the day I was stupid and thought "RE2 had voice acting, why couldn't FF games have them to" of course I was a stupid teenager and didn't consider the scale.

Even though the RE2 remake was pretty good though, no one seems to talk about how the LeonA/B, and Claire A/B stuff kinda sucks in the RE2 remake. In the original RE2, the paths of the characters were completely different, and even things like what items you picked up in some scenarios affected what the other campaign had available. You still visited a lot of the same places, but the paths to get there was often completely different, and the boss encounters were unique as well for the most part. The remake didn't do that nearly as much, and other than what characters you interacted with, both campaign variations were exactly the same. This really bummed me out about the remake.

I don't see why that matters. If done properly it should be able to sell far more copies than RE 2 as well.

Also, as I've already said, I'm not aware of ANY remake that has been chopped up into episodes in this way. This sets a terrible precedent and I won't support it.

The original FF7 was one the most memorable gaming experiences from my childhood. It was long and epic in scale and sold more than 11 million copies. The remake deserves to be the ENTIRE experience and sell a bazillion copies. But as it stands I doubt I'll bother with it at all.

lyan

This is the one thing I've kinda been most salty about with this remake. For us in the enthusiastic scene, we know it's only gonna be 1 part of the game, and not the whole story. We've accepted it, and we know what to expect. We are a small percentage of people though, especially when you're talking about Final Fantasy 7, a game that was huge for the industry.

A lot of people just assume that if someone likes FF7, that they're a huge nerd already, and that they will know that it's only a part 1, but I don't think that's true. I think it's very likely that there are going to be people who see "Final Fantasy 7 Remake" on the shelf in a store, and think "wow, I remember loving this game on PS1, I'll pick that up"...to only take it home, and be confused why it ends after Midgard. I'd be pissed if I was that person. Why shouldn't they be when nothing on the packaging is leading them to believe that it's only a Chapter 1.

They're probably worried that calling it FF7 Remake Chapter 1 will hurt initial sales, and they're probably right, but they want to have their cake and eat it too. They want to release the long awaited FF7 Remake without actually remaking the whole thing at once, and get people to give them money now. It works out nicely for them, but not the unaware buyer who might be bummed.
Would they really be pissed if they get a good solid 30hour experience with it though. I mean sure there will always be someone pissed off at something but you know what I mean.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yeah, back in the day I was stupid and thought "RE2 had voice acting, why couldn't FF games have them to" of course I was a stupid teenager and didn't consider the scale.

Even though the RE2 remake was pretty good though, no one seems to talk about how the LeonA/B, and Claire A/B stuff kinda sucks in the RE2 remake. In the original RE2, the paths of the characters were completely different, and even things like what items you picked up in some scenarios affected what the other campaign had available. You still visited a lot of the same places, but the paths to get there was often completely different, and the boss encounters were unique as well for the most part. The remake didn't do that nearly as much, and other than what characters you interacted with, both campaign variations were exactly the same. This really bummed me out about the remake.
Yeah, I still highly enjoyed R2Remake but I definitely agree they could have done better job A/b routes, I think original RE remake done better job than RE2 Remake.
I don't see why that matters. If done properly it should be able to sell far more copies than RE 2 as well.

Also, as I've already said, I'm not aware of ANY remake that has been chopped up into episodes in this way. This sets a terrible precedent and I won't support it.

The original FF7 was one the most memorable gaming experiences from my childhood. It was long and epic in scale and sold more than 11 million copies. The remake deserves to be the ENTIRE experience and sell a bazillion copies. But as it stands I doubt I'll bother with it at all.
I myself not much fan of episodic nature but FF7 is really big game and maybe doing it episodic, they wont run in to same problem they did with FFXV.

Shantae

Banned
Would they really be pissed if they get a good solid 30hour experience with it though. I mean sure there will always be someone pissed off at something but you know what I mean.
I get it, and they still might be happy with the experience, but any unknowing Yuffie fans going into this Chapter 1 are totally gonna be upset...
including me...

I get it, and they still might be happy with the experience, but any unknowing Yuffie fans going into this Chapter 1 are totally gonna be upset...
including me...

How can someone be a Yuffie fan if they're casuals and new to the game? Bottomline this has been said before and I'll say it again, fans already know this game is in parts, and newbies wont care either way.

Shantae

Banned
How can someone be a Yuffie fan if they're casuals and new to the game? Bottomline this has been said before and I'll say it again, fans already know this game is in parts, and newbies wont care either way.
This kind of stance always confuses me, especially from a customer level. Just because you cant seem to grasp a situation when MILLIONS of people who played the original game, that the potential millions of customers MUST know this is gonna be in parts. Everyone interested in buying this game has totally been paying attention to this fact that Square-Enix is often hiding, and never brings up unless asked in interviews that you have to hunt for, where they say this is only part 1 of a series of games. It must be totally obvious to everyone buying it that it's not he whole game. Yeah, sure.

Are you undercover Square-enix PR or something?

Handel

I think they should include an indication on the box, but in this day and age I wouldn't say it's anything more than a bit shady. It being episodic has been known for years, and doing a bit of research on something is so easy and common these days. We also don't know all what the ads will be like to know if anything about it being just this section is included in those.

This kind of stance always confuses me, especially from a customer level. Just because you cant seem to grasp a situation when MILLIONS of people who played the original game, that the potential millions of customers MUST know this is gonna be in parts. Everyone interested in buying this game has totally been paying attention to this fact that Square-Enix is often hiding, and never brings up unless asked in interviews that you have to hunt for, where they say this is only part 1 of a series of games. It must be totally obvious to everyone buying it that it's not he whole game. Yeah, sure.

Are you undercover Square-enix PR or something?

Sorry but this is stupid lol, you are a confused individual if you think I'm a Squere-Enix PR, but above all anyone who doesn't know this game is in parts has been living under a rock. It's like you're trying to find flaws just to complain about it.

Shantae

Banned
Sorry but this is stupid lol, you are a confused individual if you think I'm a Squere-Enix PR, but above all anyone who doesn't know this game is in parts has been living under a rock. It's like you're trying to find flaws just to complain about it.
Maybe they haven't been living under a rock, but rather just living? Ya know, not living in front of a computer or phone screen like you do obviously. You're a confused individual if you think I'm abnormal because I don't conform to your view.

Maybe they haven't been living under a rock, but rather just living? Ya know, not living in front of a computer or phone screen like you do obviously. You're a confused individual if you think I'm abnormal because I don't conform to your view.

You have abnormal views if you think this day in age people don't have phones or computers. Anyone who's remotely interested in this game can just as easily take 5 seconds to google some information about before purchasing. Only idiots buy blindly, and therefore deserve to be ripped off for their own negligence. Not that buying this game is a ripoff of any kind.

You have abnormal views if you think this day in age people don't have phones or computers. Anyone who's remotely interested in this game can just as easily take 5 seconds to google some information about before purchasing. Only idiots buy blindly, and therefore deserve to be ripped off for their own negligence. Not that buying this game is a ripoff of any kind.

Most people don't inform themselves if a game is only part of the story, because it almost never happens.

Mass Effect did and Bioware was proudly telegraphing "Yo, this will be a massive trilogy, guys!"

Half Life 2: Epiode 1 ... well, it's in the title.

Telltales' Walking Dead went further and talked about 'seasons', clearly telegraphing 'this will be like an interactive tv-show'.

Only Square Enix keeps quiet. People aren't idiots for assuming a game callled 'Final Fantasy 7 Remake' *is* 'Final Fantasy Remake'.

Kagey K

Banned
They should call it chapter 4. That way they can turn some of their old shitty movies into shitty games that surround it.

xrnzaaas

Welp it might be a shitty practice, but they want to sell as many copies as possible. It will definitely piss off some people. Not everyone is following the news on this remake so they might not know it won't be a "full" product.

Most people don't inform themselves if a game is only part of the story, because it almost never happens.

Mass Effect did and Bioware was proudly telegraphing "Yo, this will be a massive trilogy, guys!"

Half Life 2: Epiode 1 ... well, it's in the title.

Telltales' Walking Dead went further and talked about 'seasons', clearly telegraphing 'this will be like an interactive tv-show'.

Only Square Enix keeps quiet. People aren't idiots for assuming a game callled 'Final Fantasy 7 Remake' *is* 'Final Fantasy Remake'.

"Most"? Why don't we just call this game FF7:NofaithinpeopleMostpeopleareMorons? I give people more credit than that, especially the demographic that will be purchasing this game -> GAMERS. Most gamers are competent enough to use a computer or a phone and look something up on google. The word in question here is the minority not most. Most people will find out this game is in parts, there will be those few that wont. But if we were to graph the statistics of those who knows vs don't know, I bet it will look something like 95% already know, 5% don't. I don't think it's worth crying over spilt milk.

Last edited:
I think everybody is assuming SE are going to commit to a 2nd & 3rd game.

They know what they're doing. This is going to be the new Half Life EP3.
At this point is clear that they would rather invest in a 5-10 years long (if not more) 7 remake project than push for a new mainline title.
The 7 series will be completed but it will take a whole lotta time to make it happen

Shantae

Banned
I just hope that this is like the FF13 trilogy in terms of release windows. Too long of a wait between entries, and people will just get angry. FF13, FF13-2, and Lightning Returns came out 2 years apart from each other which I think is a reasonable time to wait, and should be adequate development time if they're being smart about how they make these games. Don't try and change any major systems between games, if anything, keep the basics the same, and just add to what's there with new story content, and abilities.

That's what I hope at least.

VulcanRaven

Is it mentioned on the back cover? Many people might ask for refund if it isn't clearly mentioned.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
I've thought about this before.

Unless the first game is completely restructured to work as a standalone title, the story *will* be incomplete at the end. And yet afaik the game is being advertised and sold as 'Final Fantasy Remake' - no subtitle that indicates 'hey, this is only part of it!'.

If I didn't know about it, I'd be pretty pissed. I'm actually waiting for all parts to be released, because I've only played the original a littke bit and want to experience the story whole.

So, what do you think? Even if you're hyped for the game, isn't it kinda scummy?

It's not a problem for me.
Many online descriptions say precisely that this is the first chapter of a series.
(also the description of the game on the PSN)
And it is likely that the back of the cover also cites this information.

Top Bottom