• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it just me that really likes how the original Xbox one looks?

Papa_Wisdom

k4WK3qS.jpg

Does anyone else either like it or come to like it over time.

I’m not talking about the technical aspects, purely aesthetics.

I personally liked how big it was. Wasn’t massive but defiantly had the “centre of your entertainment devices“ vibes which I guess is what they were aiming for.

It in someways reminds me of a vhs player and I don’t know why but for some reason I like that?

Not usually a fan of shiny, scratch prone plastic, but I actually don’t mind the 2 different styles of plastic. Shiny with the Matt. Makes it stand out but not look too imposing.

The front is very clean looking with just the disk drive and power button so doesn’t draw too much attention to itself.

I can’t really explain it other than I find it’s design really interesting and appealing.

olYUULD.jpg
BMC88F7.jpg

WitchHunter

Banned
k4WK3qS.jpg

Does anyone else either like it or come to like it over time.

I’m not talking about the technical aspects, purely aesthetics.

I personally liked how big it was. Wasn’t massive but defiantly had the “centre of your entertainment devices“ vibes which I guess is what they were aiming for.

It in someways reminds me of a vhs player and I don’t know why but for some reason I like that?

Not usually a fan of shiny, scratch prone plastic, but I actually don’t mind the 2 different styles of plastic. Shiny with the Matt. Makes it stand out but not look too imposing.

The front is very clean looking with just the disk drive and power button so doesn’t draw too much attention to itself.

I can’t really explain it other than I find it’s design really interesting and appealing.

olYUULD.jpg
BMC88F7.jpg
The output always tells what's going on inside a trillion $$$ company that produces THIS...

SenkiDala

The PS3 also looks like a grill. I love grills, but not a console shaped like one :p

The slimmer redesign was much better.
I didn't like the size of the XO but I liked its design, everybody says that XOX looks great it's a fucking rectangle with nothing to see, just a rectangle. I would have liked a XOX sized console with the design of the OG XO. :)

LakeOf9

It was a cool design. Not my favorite but I didn't ever understand why it was clowned on so much.

I will say that every console Microsoft designed after this (One S, One X, Series S, Series X) was significantly better looking though.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I liked the look of it. Traditional rectangle electronic. The series X and PS5 both look stupid. Series s looks ok.

I think the best looking consoles were the GameCube and Xbox One X.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

I didn't like the original Xbox one design in black. But the halo edition looked nice .

Overall. I think the bear looking console is the Xbox series x halo infinite edition the 500 million edition ps4 pro comes also a tie in first place. While the ps4 25th anniversary edition second place ( for nostalgia reasons only)

The rest of limited edition consoles are ... eh ... as far as I can remember.

The ps5 spider man edition I have is nice. But nothing to brag about. It's just cover plates.

dotnotbot

2nd best looking Xbox, original X360 takes 1st place. I don't like designs that came after XO, too boring and angular like simple bricks, they pass that line where minimalism turns into banality.

Last edited:
If you like how your Blu-ray player looks, you probably love what XBone looks like. It's just a generic black rectangle that goes next to a TV.

People like to shit on PS5's shape but at least it looks distinctive and you won't mistake it for an old VCR or DVD player

Chukhopops

I fully remember getting my Day One 2013 XBO and thinking how this was such an ugly design coming from the 360 and especially the 360 Elite.

I still love it despite that but the Series design is a massive improvement compared to it.

nush

Not gonna lie, it's looks did grow on me. But that was because I was only ever looking at the front of it when it was under the TV.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I don’t really remember how big it was, but the design is fine.
But I do suspect my taste in console design right now boils down to “literally everything looks better than the monstrosity that is the PS5”.

Calverz

I remember liking how quiet it was thanks to the gigantic fan. I always found the usb at the side to be strange as it spawned some awful third party peripherals that would fans and extra usb ports lol.

Astray

Gold Member
The amount of glossy plastic looks exceptionally cheap, PS4 had it too but to a lesser degree.

I feel the refreshed machines (both slims and pros) look way, waaaaaaay better.

Top Bottom