• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is haze the new bloom?

Guilty_AI

I think per object motion blur and DOF looks fantastic.

It looks superb in Doom 2016 (the post-processing in this game is genuinely spot on), Crysis 2/3 and Killzone 2.
It definitely looks fantastic, it'll also give you headaches while quickly darting your eyes through the screen and moving the camera around.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I still don't know what the point of film grain is
It greatly helps to either the image to remove banding on color gradients. Resident evil 2 looks like trash if you turn it off. But in village it’s very bad and broken with it on. It is important.

Motion blur is great too. Normally 30 or 60 fps movie each frame should contain 16 to 33 ms of movement information. Not still image. With only 60 fps you need captures of movement. Not perfect stills. Brain does not create motion blur from tv

nkarafo

It greatly helps to either the image to remove banding on color gradients. Resident evil 2 looks like trash if you turn it off. But in village it’s very bad and broken with it on. It is important.
That's dithering, not film grain.

Film grain is a completely different effect.

Motion blur is great too. Normally 30 or 60 fps movie each frame should contain 16 to 33 ms of movement information. Not still image. With only 60 fps you need captures of movement. Not perfect stills. Brain does not create motion blur from tv
Just no.

LCDs and modern panels already add blur because of their shitty technology compared to CRTs. You don't need more vomit inducing blur on top of that.

The crystal clear CRT motion is heaven compared to any of that.

Per object motion blur is nice though.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

I thought Haze was the new Halo

MV5BOGYxMGI3NmMtNjUzZS00Y2JhLWFjYzQtOWY3ZjgzZWY0M2M2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzg5OTk2OA@@._V1_.jpg

Last edited:

Fbh

Yeah I hate this stuff and it's in so many games.

Like 1 out of 3 games makes me go double check if the HDMI black levels are set right because the haze gives them that washed out low contrast look of mismatched black level settings.

I wish devs would give use a toggle for it as some of them do for film grain or chromatic aberration (though I don't know if it's that easy)

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
That's dithering, not film grain.

Film grain is a completely different effect.

Just no.

LCDs and modern panels already add blur because of their shitty technology compared to CRTs. You don't need more vomit inducing blur on top of that.

The crystal clear CRT motion is heaven compared to any of that.

Per object motion blur is nice though.
FIlm grain is dithering if done well. Same thing

There is no "just no".
I am not opinionated here. This is how it works. These are facts.
It's not blur. It's "motion captured in time".
Try to understand what I am saying. You say you like per object motion blur - we are talking about the same thing here.
60fps is 1 frame each 16ms. Your brain can tell that and does not add motion blur.
So each frame ideally, when paused like in the movie, should show motion that happened in that 16ms. Then You have collection of these motio shots and you get nice results.

Not talking about gta 3 blur here lol.

Look at that and see how weird and jerky 1/500 shutter speed looks.

Braag

It's fog, if used correctly it can give scenes more depth and make them look more realistic as you demonstrated in your pics. The above pics from the original look like ass compared to the remaster.

Film grain can hide some imperfections. When a game looks too clean it's easier to spot when it doesn't look realistic. A lot of movies use film grain as well and A LOT of older movies which were then released on Bluray had film grain added to them to hide some of the "this wasn't originally shot with HD camera" look.
Some games like RE Village have overbearing film grain though, which can ruin the image quality completely and with no way to set the intensity, I prefer to keep it off then.

nkarafo

FIlm grain is dithering if done well. Same thing
Film grain is film grain. Dithering is dithering. Completely different things doing completely different jobs.

Film Grain is a visual effect that tries to simulate old film screen artifacts and bad analog signal. The film grain in Silent Hill 2 is just that. Film grain is also animated.

Dithering is a technique used to help blend limited color palettes to avoid banding. It's also used to fake transparencies. Dithering is not animated like film grain is.

There is no "just no".
I am not opinionated here. This is how it works. These are facts.
It's not blur. It's "motion captured in time".
Try to understand what I am saying. You say you like per object motion blur - we are talking about the same thing here.
60fps is 1 frame each 16ms. Your brain can tell that and does not add motion blur.
So each frame ideally, when paused like in the movie, should show motion that happened in that 16ms. Then You have collection of these motio shots and you get nice results.

Not talking about gta 3 blur here lol.

I just don't like full motion blur. I prefer a sharp image on my screen at all times. And sure, maybe at 15fps motion blur does help filling the gaps. But at 30fps or higher, i prefer a clear screen. Go play an older game at 30fps on a CRT, it's much better than motion blur in modern games.

Knightime_X

Nope, looks badass to me.
We finally reached a point where real life occurrences are bad now.
First we wanted realistic effects, now we (some) want to remove them?
oeUKJuw.png

Last edited:

Banned
so first of all your misspelled Doom!
and secondly no,
Haze is the new Halo! SUCK IT XBOX!

Haze_boxart.jpg

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Post processing effects when done really well shouldn't even be noticeable.

Most games however, especially PC ports absolutely shit the bed, CA can straight up fuck off

Griffon

Disagree with you OP, volumetric lighting is a pretty good looking effect and can greatly enhance the atmosphere of map.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Often devs use it to make up for the lack of dithering in gradients in the skybox or like in the RE2 remake its essential to have shadowed areas look correct, because otherwise they have horrendous banding/posterisation problems. Look how fucked RE2 remake looks without it:

film-noise-9qkh3.gif

I'm pretty sure its possible for the dithering to be part of the graphics pipeline and not have to rely on a post-processing effect like this. They seem to have solved the issue from RE8 onwards though so no worries.

nkarafo

This type of dithering though

DNL2MHdWsAAcI3G

I hate it.

Member Saturn having this "issue" because it couldn't handle transparencies as well? It was a feature all this time!

Kuranghi

nkarafo nkarafo

I understand the difference between dithering and film grain, like you explained, but what do you think is going on with RE2 Remake? Is that just the film grain acting as a makeshift dithering or do you think something else is changing internally when you turn Film Grain on? It does seem bizarre that the image quality would rely on it so much.

KXVXII9X

Modern games are filled with annoying visual effects (my most hated one being the camera auto-exposure simulation). Motion blur, noise filters, chromatic aberration, vignette, the list goes on.

But there is one that nobody ever talks about. And it's pretty common in Switch games for some reason, such as Mario Kart and Metroid Prime Remastered. I think it's called "haze". Here's an example:

QLzr7G6.jpg

Look how much more hazy/foggy/washed out Metroid Prime Remastered is compared to the original above. It's like you are looking through a camera lens that has a moisture stain or something. The original looks so much more cleaner, despite the lower resolution.

Here's another:

hs0hGHV.jpg

It's not as bad here, but you can still see the hazy look and lack of contrast, even when there is no super bright light like in the first example.

I'm getting the same vibe when i compare something like Mario Kart Double Dash and Mario Kart 8. While the later looks amazing, there are a few tracks that do have tis hazy/washed out look (let's not even talk about Mario Kart Wii and the bloom craze of the mid 2000's. Glad that's over).

I'm not sure why devs choose this. I get it might be an artistic choice but is it really for the better? Is it more realistic? Or is it another cheap camera simulation effect™ like the others i mentioned? Because devs nowadays sure as hell like to make games look like you are looking at them through a cheap camera lens.

Great remaster btw, looks great. But the original looks better in some ways and it really shouldn't.
I just started to hate it in some games recently. It is a combination of a ton of effects all at once and adds to visual clutter. I think the Metroid Prime Remastered version looks great though. It was when I played Octopath Traveler 2 Demo and Sea of Stars Demo back-to-back, and Sea of Stars looked much more stunning and vivid. Everything was clear and sharp and didn't look all washed out and blurry unlike OT 2. I do prefer sharper image quality which is why I like the more cel-shaded art designs. Games could also bring up the contrast a little as well.

GymWolf

Often devs use it to make up for the lack of dithering in gradients in the skybox or like in the RE2 remake its essential to have shadowed areas look correct, because otherwise they have horrendous banding/posterisation problems. Look how fucked RE2 remake looks without it:

film-noise-9qkh3.gif

I'm pretty sure its possible for the dithering to be part of the graphics pipeline and not have to rely on a post-processing effect like this. They seem to have solved the issue from RE8 onwards though so no worries.
They both looks bad for different reasons tbh.

Last edited:

nkarafo

nkarafo nkarafo

I understand the difference between dithering and film grain, like you explained, but what do you think is going on with RE2 Remake? Is that just the film grain acting as a makeshift dithering or do you think something else is changing internally when you turn Film Grain on? It does seem bizarre that the image quality would rely on it so much.
Not sure, i have film grain off and the game looks fine. I don't get all that banding, however, i do use a better contrast option and not really following the washed out look the game recommends.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Dof
Blur
Film grain
Chromatic aberration
Vignette

They are all terrible.
By Blur do you mean Motion Blur, or does Depth of Field also fall into that category?

<---Loves motion blur, outside of simulators if your racing game doesnt have it, you lose 10 points immediately.
<---Also loves Depth of field and will inject it if a game doesnt have it.

GymWolf

By Blur do you mean Motion Blur, or does Depth of Field also fall into that category?

<---Loves motion blur, outside of simulators if your racing game doesnt have it, you lose 10 points immediately.
<---Also loves Depth of field and will inject it if a game doesnt have it.
I hate both, motion blur more than dof.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

film-noise-9qkh3.gif

Exactly the point I was making.
Fine film grain will go as good dithering to help with banding.
I think they fixed that in Rt patch since disabling film grain did not made the game posterize as much

Kuranghi

Exactly the point I was making.
Fine film grain will go as good dithering to help with banding.
I think they fixed that in Rt patch since disabling film grain did not made the game posterize as much

RT patch forces DX12 renderer so maybe its fixed in that compared to DX11

Top Bottom