• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is haze the new bloom?

nkarafo

Modern games are filled with annoying visual effects (my most hated one being the camera auto-exposure simulation). Motion blur, noise filters, chromatic aberration, vignette, the list goes on.

But there is one that nobody ever talks about. And it's pretty common in Switch games for some reason, such as Mario Kart and Metroid Prime Remastered. I think it's called "haze". Here's an example:

QLzr7G6.jpg

Look how much more hazy/foggy/washed out Metroid Prime Remastered is compared to the original above. It's like you are looking through a camera lens that has a moisture stain or something. The original looks so much more cleaner, despite the lower resolution.

Here's another:

hs0hGHV.jpg

It's not as bad here, but you can still see the hazy look and lack of contrast, even when there is no super bright light like in the first example.

I'm getting the same vibe when i compare something like Mario Kart Double Dash and Mario Kart 8. While the later looks amazing, there are a few tracks that do have tis hazy/washed out look (let's not even talk about Mario Kart Wii and the bloom craze of the mid 2000's. Glad that's over).

I'm not sure why devs choose this. I get it might be an artistic choice but is it really for the better? Is it more realistic? Or is it another cheap camera simulation effect™ like the others i mentioned? Because devs nowadays sure as hell like to make games look like you are looking at them through a cheap camera lens.

Great remaster btw, looks great. But the original looks better in some ways and it really shouldn't.

winjer

Gold Member
It's not as bad as bloom is the X360 and PS3 era.

Color grading is becoming a greater issue, as there are several games that push this to extreme limits. Then we get games that look like those movies where México has a strong yellow tint and Canada a strong blue tint.

nkarafo

It's not as bad as bloom is the X360 and PS3 era.

Color grading is becoming a greater issue, as there are several games that push this to extreme limits. Then we get games that look like those movies where México has a strong yellow tint and Canada a strong blue tint.

Ah, i forgot about that. It's not new though, the yellow one plagued many games in the 360/PS3 era. Especially racing games. It's called "piss filter".

Last edited:

RaduN

Love it.
Gives nice feeling of depth. Much prefferable to depth of field in gameplay (cinematics are a different story).

nkarafo

Yes, Breath of the Wild was full of it dulling the vibrant colors. I hope they toned it down for the Tears of the Kingdom...

iu

iu

zelda-breath-of-the-wild-survole-toute-map.jpg

Ouch!

That was SO bad.

Thankfully for me though, i used Cemu to play this game and there are some "graphics packs" as they call them. There was one with several different color profiles and i used one that improves the contrasts but not too much to cause artifacts or to change the art direction too much.

And it was way better.

murstdurst

Neo Member
Ouch!

That was SO bad.

Thankfully for me though, i used Cemu to play this game and there are some "graphics packs" as they call them. There was one with several different color profiles and i used one that improves the contrasts but not too much to cause artifacts or to change the art direction too much.

And it was way better.
I really hate when people who didn't even buy the game and play int illegally and then still bitch about it.
"I hate this, therefore i download it illegally and...."

I know i know, YOU didn't right. you bought it and therefore you OWN it and has every right to emulate because emulation IS NOT PIRATING... right? lmfao

nkarafo

I really hate when people who didn't even buy the game and play int illegally and then still bitch about it.

I know i know, YOU didn't right. you bought it and therefore you OWN it and has every right to emulate because emulation IS NOT PIRATING... right? lmfao

Do you have a proof that i don't own it? No?

Then excuse me but kindly fuck off.

winjer

Gold Member

Emulation is not illegal. And it has gone to courts a few times.
If he owns a legit copy the game, then it's perfectly legal to emulate it on another platform.

murstdurst

Neo Member
Do you have a proof that i don't own it? No?

Then excuse me but kindly fuck off.
Calm down buddy.
I am assuming, because i know how people work. Or are you going to tell me most peopel that emualte own the games they download? Ofc they don't... come on!

GymWolf

I hate this shit in amy game, at a certain point i just tought my last 2 oled tv were broken or the settings were wrong but it was not that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fbh

LostDonkey

Film grain is the worst one.

Played through TLOU2 with it on, now I'm playing new game+ with it off and my god what a difference.

calistan

This stuff used to be a headline technical effect - volumetric fog and all that. In OP's example shots, the Metroid remake screens look way better. The original is flat and lifeless by comparison.

Guilty_AI

Dof
Blur
Film grain
Chromatic aberration
Vignette
Right, always forget about film grain and vignette since i immediatly disable those when given the chance.
I really hate when the game image prioritizes looking like camera works over visual clarity.

Kadve

Think its a combination of volumetric lighting/dust effects and Depth of field effect. Meant to look more realistic and im with you that realistic =! better visuals. Booth of these also tend to hurt my eyes when combined with fast movement and is in the same crowd as excessive Anti-Aliasing. It just makes games look washed out and hazy.

Doesn't Prime support 480p btw? Or does it really look that interlaced even in Progressive mode? Haven't played it in a long while.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

I love effects that approximate game graphics from the way our eyes perceive light so. DOF, Motion Blur, Diffuse Lighting are all amazing if well implemented and go a long way on the graphics make up of a game.

Lens defects light chromatic aberration, vignetting and noise on the other hand usually give a bad vibe and I prefer turned off, unless It's something that is integral to the visual language of the game like on Alien Isolation

nkarafo

Calm down buddy.
I am assuming, because i know how people work. Or are you going to tell me most peopel that emualte own the games they download? Ofc they don't... come on!

Maybe, but i don't really care about other people. Much less about what they do.

But since you do care, personally i do love emulation but also tend to own the games that i want to fully play. Some of them i bought multiple times even. I bought Ocarina of Time three times already, for instance. I have a pretty decent collection of games and consoles. I'm almost a collector, though mine is not nearly as big as some Youtuber's i follow.

Anything beyond that is strictly for testing since i try to actively help with emulation development. Emulation is legal btw. And if you want to pirate games, you can do it outside emulation anyway. Even native games can be pirated/cracked, they always did. Does that mean i must complain about piracy in every game OT because i'm sure that, statistically, at least a few members don't own the games they discuss there?

Sorry for the harsh response before but i'm also tired of people who see every post that mentions emulation in any way and reply immediately with "booooo, dirty pirates". GAF is one of those places where you can't really have a discussion about emulation, which is a huge part of modern gaming even, because of that behavior.

OZ9000

Banned
Dof
Blur
Film grain
Chromatic aberration
Vignette

They are all terrible.
I think per object motion blur and DOF looks fantastic.

It looks superb in Doom 2016 (the post-processing in this game is genuinely spot on), Crysis 2/3 and Killzone 2.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Dof
Blur
Film grain
Chromatic aberration
Vignette

They are all terrible.

And pretty much all of those are things that cameras or old films do.

Add things like auto/limited brightness/exposure, lens flare, etc.

And most of those are artifacts because of technical issues, not actual desired effects. People had to deal with them because they were unavoidable, it never had anything to do with "artistic vision".

In games there's no physical camera but devs try to simulate all of their deficiencies anyway. Because the result looks more "cinematic" or something silly like that. Or because they want to distract you from focusing on their ugly graphics and assets, that works too.

Top Bottom