• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Irdeto (Denuvo) unveils unreal engine protection file integrity verification to deter game modification.

Sleepwalker

Like all Denuvo products, this first-of-its-kind solution is easy to integrate into the game on a binary level, effectively thwarting data mining attempts and creating formidable barriers against cheat creators, pirates and fraudsters. It shields Unreal Engine game data files against decryption, blocks the use of in-game debug consoles, and conceals entry points to deter game modification. As the tools for attacking Unreal Engine games are publicly available and easy to use, this feature becomes an essential safeguard, offering an effortless yet robust defense against this vector

In addition to the Unreal Engine Protection, Denuvo by Irdeto is proud to unveil the Denuvo Integrity Verification feature which will bring more granular options to the Anti-Tamper product. This versatile feature empowers developers to verify the integrity of their own game code, safeguarding against both static and dynamic tampering.

The Integrity Verification feature ensures attackers are unable to alter the protected game code before startup or during gameplay, fortifying gaming studios against potential tampering threats

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

First they came for game backups and I did not speak out because I am not a pirate.

Then they came for offline gamers, and I did not speak out because I have internet connection.

Then they came for the modders, and I did not speak out because I don't use mods.

Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak for me.

Virex

Banned
First they came for game backups and I did not speak out because I am not a pirate.

Then they came for offline gamers, and I did not speak out because I have internet connection.

Then they came for the modders, and I did not speak out because I don't use mods.

Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak for me.
The she came to touch my penis, I did not speak out because I loved it

On a more serious note. Sailing the high seas, seems to be a lot less fuss to get stuff working vs. the stuff you actually paid for.
Gaming is fucked beyond recognition to be honest. But then again, this is what happens when all passion for it disappears and all
you are left with is well....our current game industry. Maybe a few more pixel art metroidvania's will save the day

Last edited:
This reminds me of UWP games. Totally locked down, you can't even access the folders on PC. I hate it. Every time I launch Forza Motorsport 7, I'm worried that at some point in the future, it won't launch and I won't be able to play it. And there won't be some mod out there that fixes the game because it's completely locked down.

What's amazing about the PC space is being able to play games that are 10, 20, 30 years old and fans have been able to mod them to work on the latest OS or make them superior experiences than when they first released.

Sleepwalker

This reminds me of UWP games. Totally locked down, you can't even access the folders on PC. I hate it. Every time I launch Forza Motorsport 7, I'm worried that at some point in the future, it won't launch and I won't be able to play it. And there won't be some mod out there that fixes the game because it's completely locked down.

What's amazing about the PC space is being able to play games that are 10, 20, 30 years old and fans have been able to mod them to work on the latest OS or make them superior experiences than when they first released.

According to their statement it will also check that no modifications are made before starting the software so it's also invasive as fuck.

But hey people put up with kernel level anticheat and the even worse Valorant one so here we are.

End goal is to not let you have local files and just stream your games.

More good news for pc gamers

ugKctWe8f4Xic1df-_UKZ-Iu8_le6yDjmn4Qe__dcAk.png

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I agree with everyone but this might actually be good for online games and cheating. Assuming it doesnt impact performance and it does in fact block any attempts of data modification like cheats, then that might just make me return to online gaming.

00_Zer0

Between PC, Switch, and now this, Denuvo is the STD of the video gaming industry. They are the gift that keeps on giving. Good thing there's a cure from hackers who will eventually remove the infestation from every digital game available out there. Soon enough the Switch version will be removed, as well as this version.

If I own a digital game with Denuvo, I don't feel bad at all finding a hacked version of it, where Denuvo has been removed.

Also, there are plenty of publishers out there that do the right thing by not including it, and even though they don't get a pass, I believe some publishers choose to remove it themselves after a game has been on the market sometime.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Ah finaly a company that says fuck you to game preservation , good perfs and modding.Have they contacted Phil Harrison they can probably do a crossover about who can fuck the gaming industry the most?

Mr Hyde

I'm new to PC and mods is probably the biggest perk outside free cloud saves, so this is really bad news. Playing Seeker of fire now for DS2 and it basically overhauls the entire game. It's like free DLC. How awesome isn't that? Piracy is one thing but taking away mods? That's just downright evil.

Kuranghi

So I'll buy the games and then play a cracked copy, gotcha.

Not even sure that will work tbh, the crack makers goal is not to fully remove protection, only stop it from working, sigh.

nkarafo

Holy shit, Deneuvo is getting into the "Anti modding" business now?
lol, lmao even
Mods can increase the lifespan of a game you already own by a lot. You may even replay a whole game just because you found some cool mod that makes it feel like a completely different experience. Does the Publisher profit from that extra time you spend in their game though? Did they profit from the extra fun you extracted from their product? Not at all. And they most likely hate this.

Best case scenario for Publishers is after you finished the game they sold you and had your fun, you buy their next one ASAP. They don't want you wasting your precious free time on something they don't sell. They already have enough competition from other publishers to earn a slot in your free time schedule, they don't want things like free mods to make it more difficult for them.

It's all pure greed, like it always has been.

Last edited:

graywolf323

Mods can increase the lifespan of a game you already own by a lot. You may even replay a whole game just because you found some cool mod that makes it feel like a completely different experience. Does the Publisher profit from that extra time you spend in their game though? Did they profit from the extra fun you extracted from their product? Not at all. And they most likely hate this.

Best case scenario for Publishers is after you finished the game they sold you and had your fun, you buy their next one ASAP. They don't want you wasting your precious free time on something they don't sell. They already have enough competition from other publishers to earn a slot in your free time schedule, they don't want things like free mods to make it more difficult for them.

It's all pure greed, like it always has been.
imagine Bethesda games without mods

Disgusted Cedric The Entertainer GIF by CBS

Zoloft

Banned
Denuvo ppl are running a business, the hate should be targeted against the publisher.
Anyway, I started avoiding UE games recently used mostly by less talented developers that make generic shitty games anyway
or by old ones that decided to be as less talented and shitty as the rest of the industry.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I agree with everyone but this might actually be good for online games and cheating. Assuming it doesnt impact performance and it does in fact block any attempts of data modification like cheats, then that might just make me return to online gaming.
Having a - sizeable - familiarity with the space of anti-tamper/anti-cheat methodologies (including Denuvo itself) I can tell you that there's no such thing as outright 'blocking' data modification. Particularly on windows - the possible attack vectors are virtually inexhaustible.
However - removing the lower-hanging ones does make the cheat-developers lives harder - and that's basically all this game ever comes down to. You try to make it prohibitively expensive for cheat-makers to keep up. It's also why usually it's undesirable to have 'hard prevention' methods - all those achieve is for them to move on to something else that isn't blocked yet.
Most effective practices I've seen typically involve adversarial attacks - keep them guessing and not knowing how the cheats are detected, non-obvious blocks where cheats still 'appear' to work, use the cheat's own exploits against them etc.
All in all - anti-tamper helps - but if you employ it too directly it can have the opposite of desired effect.

Top Bottom