• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming July 2013: Filled with unethical beverages, like Lipton Brisk Iced Tea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Oh man, in my scouring for new releases I stumbled upon this masterpiece:

Alpaca Evolution

In a sunny merry meadow village,
where a herd of alpacas live in peace and innocuously enough.
something unusual has happened.
……An alpaca was born mutant.

He goes on the process of evolution, in his very peculiar way,
by knocking out other alpaca brothers,
and “absorbing” them.
Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVlwCQEMEYc

mzl.zuseobbl.320x480-75.jpg
mzl.voomrgwc.320x480-75.jpg

The developer has some other interesting looking Japanese titles..

Oh man, in my scouring for new releases I stumbled upon this masterpiece:

Alpaca Evolution

Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVlwCQEMEYc

mzl.zuseobbl.320x480-75.jpg
mzl.voomrgwc.320x480-75.jpg

The developer has some other interesting looking Japanese titles..

I was seriously drafting up a post about this right now. The game is awesome. I've been playing it for the past week, and have hit the first ending, and am going back to get the other two. The writing in it is amazing, having new statements to offer in the Alpacapedia at each evolution. As you absorb more Alpaca and evolve, weirder things happen. It's awesome, and they already have a prequel out (only in Japanese so far though).

Seriously, everyone needs to check this out.

Was thinking of doing something along these lines in June, a 'Game Updates' section or similar for "big enough" updates of past month's games (highlighted or otherwise prominent) but I got side-tracked.

That or a general 'Spotlight' section that just brings up GAF endorsed games that were missed in the past, however long ago.

Thoughts guys?

I don't see why the existing "Featured iOS Games" section has to be locked to the month of the thread, personally. Why keep it separate if it deserves to be highlighted?

Yeah this sounds like a good idea to me. Although personally, having Lady Gaga songs available makes me less interested to play the game :p

/popgaf digs

I don't see why the presence of an artist you don't like in a music game's store somehow detracts from the value of the game. You're not forced to buy and play it if you don't want to.

It's also all your fault the game never got featured in the first place, so shush =p

I have been hooked on Earth Devastating B-Rank Girlfriend for over a week now. It's like crack. It's Level-5's slot machine RPG. Game play is set up just like Puzzles and Dragons/Jewel Dragon where you collect cards and power them up. All the cards are beautiful waifus. I'm almost level 30 in it and I have like 20 JP friends in it. lmao

I think they took it off the NA App Store though. If they update the game later will I still be able to download it?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
This came out today, not sure what to make of it.

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id642801181?mt=8

mzl.phiznqkz.480x480-75.jpg
mzl.umdqkwnb.480x480-75.jpg
mzl.hkcdicmp.480x480-75.jpg

Time-travelling baseball batting game?

wtf? :lol Has anyone tried this?

Don't forget about Hex either, that looks like it could be amazing. Hell, its got a deck testing tool for seeing what hands you will draw!

ixeIGCu.jpg

Edit: And it will actually have legitimate drafting for cheap. :)

Super hyped for Hex. I backed with 160, King tier. Sooooo ready.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Real Racing 3 had a big update, adding Time Trial mode among other things.

What's New in Version 1.2.0

The Prestige Cars Update is here! Bentley and Mercedes-Benz join Real Racing 3’s extensive stable of manufacturers, while the highly requested Time Trial mode arrives with global leaderboards and ghost racing!

• New manufacturers – Bentley and Mercedes-Benz join an exciting line-up of over 55 licenced cars
• New event type – Time Trial! Race against yourself, your friends and the world for the top leaderboard position
• Bonus R$ - Get an R$ boost for the first race of each day, earn bigger bonuses for consecutive days of play
• Clean Race Bonus – Drive cleanly and fairly to receive R$ bonuses
• New progression system – Unlock cars and events as you progress through the new career
• Improved graphics – Per-pixel shadowing on high-end devices!

• 180+ new events!

https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/real-racing-3/id556164008?mt=8

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I don't see why the existing "Featured iOS Games" section has to be locked to the month of the thread, personally. Why keep it separate if it deserves to be highlighted?

I don't see why the presence of an artist you don't like in a music game's store somehow detracts from the value of the game. You're not forced to buy and play it if you don't want to.

It's also all your fault the game never got featured in the first place, so shush =p

I just feel that everytime someone is going "yay Lady Gaga!" I need to have an opposite reaction :p

It is a great game though, I have it and enjoy playing it. I wish the DL stuff wasn't so lame/Japanese for the most part though. Some of the super japanese stuff is fun from a kitch perspective at least.

SmokyDave

Thought I'd delve into the App Store and see if there's much I've missed over the last few weeks. It's overwhelming. So many games, so little time.

I thought I'd give 'Wide Sky' a go since it was featured, free, and looked quite nice. Not sure if I dig it, but I've only played it for 5 minutes. It reminded me of Pixeljunk Eden, and I can't decide if that's a good thing or not.

Edit: Also grabbed 'War of the Zombie', 'Home', and 'Quadropus Rampage'. I'll check 'em out at dinner.

Li Kao

There's a new action-rpg on the appstore, by Marvelous AQL, Cross Horizon.
Seeing as no one is speaking about it I thought I would drop the name here.

The dev speaks about console-quality, but appart from some nice graphics all I'm seeing in the app description is some friends mechanic, swipe to combat and... purchasable mana.

Not a lot of faith in it, did someone try it ?

igor

There's a new action-rpg on the appstore, by Marvelous AQL, Cross Horizon.
Seeing as no one is speaking about it I thought I would drop the name here.

The dev speaks about console-quality, but appart from some nice graphics all I'm seeing in the app description is some friends mechanic, swipe to combat and... purchasable mana.

Not a lot of faith in it, did someone try it ?

I was bored so I checked it out.
Deleted after 5 minutes, probably because every element of the game needs to download before you access it for the first time. And I wouldnt mind but the battles... you basically swiped and tapped the crap out of the enemy. Maybe I should've played for bit longer but I just don't believe its console quality. What a shame, I have a craving for some jRPG goodness but all I have with me at the moment is my iPhone and Mac.

Still looking for quality jRPG on iOS :(

Has anyone else bought the tank battle game Finest Hour? It doesn't seem to have a way to play a 1v1 match against a friend, it's ONLY random match making. That's the dumbest fucking shit ever!

Deleted after 5 minutes, probably because every element of the game needs to download before you access it for the first time. And I wouldnt mind but the battles... you basically swiped and tapped the crap out of the enemy.

Chaos rings is alright. Most kemco games are fun but only get when on sale.

heringer

Deleted after 5 minutes, probably because every element of the game needs to download before you access it for the first time. And I wouldnt mind but the battles... you basically swiped and tapped the crap out of the enemy. Maybe I should've played for bit longer but I just don't believe its console quality. What a shame, I have a craving for some jRPG goodness but all I have with me at the moment is my iPhone and Mac.

I'm playing FFV right now. It's good stuff if you are willing to pay $16.

TimeKillr

As a quick word of warning: I wouldn't recommend people buy War of the Zombie just yet.

It's pretty much still in beta, as I understand... There's a ton of bugs, missing features (research) but worse of all is after a few missions, the display bugs out when you go into the shop or try to check out your squad of soldiers, making the game nearly unplayable (if you can't buy new stuff, you'll die).

I'd wait until there's an update that fixes all that. Seriously, it has the makings of something really cool, but it's just so buggy it's not worth it.

Also the one major downside I've seen in it is that there's a grand total of 3 playable maps (1 for the tutorial, lol) and 2 maps (one city, one military). That's it. Every mission you undertake goes to either the city or the military map, and that's it.

bonesquad

Is Sam and Max any good, and does it run like shit on iOS?

No idea:) I've only played Puzzle Agent 1-2 on iOS (which were fine). Well, I did just pick up Poker Night 2. As a big fan of Portal and the Venture Bros. (and well, all of these characters) I'm glad I did. The game is quite entertaining, especially for only $1. I just suck at poker.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
GAF's iOS Challenge 8: Super Hexagon

this past couple of days, former GAF Challenge 7’s winner, Angry"Tiny Wings"Moth, jumped on board late but that didn't stop him to work his way up to freakin' #2 in a matter of hours and bump our former twitchy king WARIO "Ultra Hexalol"64 to third place... Meanwhile, TheDarkest Red is an alien, nothing to add on that am I right? :p

PittaGAF

Just completed Limbo.
I can confirm that, besides being an awesome game, the port is just...perfect.
I'm really stunned by how well it controls...never had a single problem.
Every death (and we are talking about a really big number here) was totally my fault.
Awesome, highly recommended...probably the best port ever on iOS (surely up there with Bastion and XCOM).
I even dare say the definitive version on iPad (I enjoyed it much more than on XBOX360).

Back to XCOM, waiting for Tiny Thief :)

EDIT: are there really all those secrets in the game or GC achievements are just bugged? Besides two achievemts (first and game completion) I missed everything).

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Just completed Limbo.
I can confirm that, besides being an awesome game, the port is just...perfect.
I'm really stunned by how well it controls...never had a single problem.
Every death (and we are talking about a really big number here) was totally my fault.
Awesome, highly recommended...probably the best port ever on iOS (surely up there with Bastion and XCOM).
I even dare say the definitive version on iPad (I enjoyed it much more than on XBOX360).

Back to XCOM, waiting for Tiny Thief :)

EDIT: are there really all those secrets in the game or GC achievements are just bugged? Besides two achievemts (first and game completion) I missed everything).
Yep tons of hidden stuff in it IIRC, took a long time for me to get everything back on 360.

Xater

Don't forget about Hex either, that looks like it could be amazing. Hell, its got a deck testing tool for seeing what hands you will draw!

ixeIGCu.jpg

Edit: And it will actually have legitimate drafting for cheap. :)

Oh wow Hex does looks cool, but fr me it will come down to how the business model will work. So I am going to take a good look at Hex, Solforge and Hearthstone. Should Scrolls make it#s way to iOS (which is likely by some of the hints) then I will probably just continue to play that. I like that it needs no money except for the initial investment.

Minsc

Gold Member
Oh wow Hex does looks cool, but fr me it will come down to how the business model will work. So I am going to take a good look at Hex, Solforge and Hearthstone. Should Scrolls make it#s way to iOS (which is likely by some of the hints) then I will probably just continue to play that. I like that it needs no money except for the initial investment.

Hex needs no money at all, and the business model on paper (which there's no reason to suspect anything of) is like 1/2-1/3 the price of MTGO for drafting.

I think Hex being part MMO is going to be the grindiest of the games, but that's more the PvE, which is I suppose intentional. Raids, hard dungeon maps with unique conditions, etc. Drafting obviously is pay to play, but it's a level playing ground, everyone pays and plays the same amount for the games, and you'll be hard pressed to find a more fair implementation that isn't pay to play I think.

Scrolls sounds awful from what I read, but maybe that's just me. Solforge is a lot of fun, but I don't think it will be cheap to build a collection of cards, where Hex will probably be a little more friendly in giving out PvE cards and gold which can be traded for other cards and even PvP if you're lucky enough to get something desirable. But if you're not even interested in the PvP aspect to Hex at all, then you might be able to get a lot of enjoyment from it for very cheap.

One of the most boring "games" I've tried on ios, unless I'm playing it wrong? I just waint untill a 5 or 6 alpaccas show up and then smack them down

Then you tap them again, and absorb them to evolve. Read the Alpacapedia to follow the progress. It's one of the weirdest, most Japanese games I've played in a good long while. Sure the base mechanic is simple, but you're not meant to play it for longer than like 15 seconds at a time. Just keep checking back, and absorbing them. The writing is most of the fun. Example:

Evolution 2:

The aplaca has become bipedal. His front legs have developed and can now be used freely as arms. He mainly attacks using his hands. In his free time, he smokes cigarettes, just because he can.

His mental faculties have also developed: he can understand a little human language, and a little brutality is now detected. About as strong as a human.

Or Evolution 4:

He has now lost the heart of an alpaca. Both arms are injured due to the damage cause by his own attacks. Abandoning those old dysfunctional arms, he has developed new ones.

His celular makeup is already a far cry from that of an alpaca, and his skin is tough as steel.

There are no longer and creatures on Earth that can defeat him.

It just keeps upping the ridiculousness as you go on. Sure it's just tapping on alpaca's, and absorbing them, but the story they're telling with it is so incredibly strange that you just have to keep playing. The ending is exactly what it needs to be. Stick with it.

WoolyNinja

Is nightjar any good? How do you even play this game??

I grabbed Nightjar. Its a sci-fi "game", but the thing is you need to wear headphones to play. There's basically no graphics. You need to listen to get around, perform tasks, etc. I wasn't too sure about it from the description but for the price gave it a shot and I'm loving it. I'm going to buy the other one by them as well since its on sale since I'm enjoying this one so much.

cluderi

This might be the place to ask. Just upgraded my old gen 1 ipad to a mini and noticed Theatrythym FF is free on iOS. How does it compare to the 3ds version (which is almost impossible to find at Australian retail now)

Characters appear to be $4 and songs $1 but does it have the same selection of content?

Heel

Anyone playing VS. Racing 2?

Went F2P recently, or at least free for the time being. A lot of the lame F2P trappings (timer to replenish gas, currency to unlock certain cars or speed up upgrade timers, etc.) but the thumb wheel control is just so good that I can ignore that and have plenty of fun. Feels a lot like Super Off Road when you whip around corners on dirt the tracks. Just a lot of great track design. You can challenge friends online too. Try it!

t2kSCVp.jpg

chiQ

Then you tap them again, and absorb them to evolve. Read the Alpacapedia to follow the progress. It's one of the weirdest, most Japanese games I've played in a good long while. Sure the base mechanic is simple, but you're not meant to play it for longer than like 15 seconds at a time. Just keep checking back, and absorbing them. The writing is most of the fun. Example:

Evolution 2:

Or Evolution 4:

It just keeps upping the ridiculousness as you go on. Sure it's just tapping on alpaca's, and absorbing them, but the story they're telling with it is so incredibly strange that you just have to keep playing. The ending is exactly what it needs to be. Stick with it.

I'm enjoying it. It's so damned weird!

GeoGonzo

Real Racing 3 had a big update, adding Time Trial mode among other things.

https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/real-racing-3/id556164008?mt=8

Well, I downloaded the update. A few comments:

-They've drastically reduced racing rewards in this patch. If you used to make 20k from winning a race, you'll now get 8k.
-Since the coin boost for playing every day only affects the first race, the only way you can make as much money as before per time played is if you play ONE race, EVERY day and carefully avoiding other cars (to avoid the dirty racing penalty).
-New progression system actually means that you can no longer save money and buy the best car in each racing tier: You can only buy "unlocked" cars, meaning that you'll be forced to buy and compete with the worst car, every time.

You can get the entirety of Ghost Trick for $5 right now. Game is universal and supports iCloud saving. I've always been interested in it and I think I'm going to bite.

PittaGAF

Anyone playing VS. Racing 2?

Went F2P recently, or at least free for the time being. A lot of the lame F2P trappings (timer to replenish gas, currency to unlock certain cars or speed up upgrade timers, etc.) but the thumb wheel control is just so good that I can ignore that and have plenty of fun. Feels a lot like Super Off Road when you whip around corners on dirt the tracks. Just a lot of great track design. You can challenge friends online too. Try it!

t2kSCVp.jpg

I did donwloaded two weeks ago and besides the f2p I agree it is really great and fun.
I wish they had a proper 'paid' version....but other than that great graphics, controls, everything.
I put it 'on pause' because of XCOM and Limbo...but I plan to pick it up again.
One thing I noticed is that it doesn't support properly sync with devices.

Buy this, everyone!

Okay!

Virtua Tennis Challenge is down to 69p. I assume that this game is fucking horrible, right? I'd quite like a tennis game on my iPad but I have no idea how you'd make one that plays well. I tried some fairly well regarded stickman tennis thing the other day because it went free and deleted it after literally one point.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So looking forward to finishing KOTOR up soon, I;m about 25 hours in and can feel the end approaching. I need that space on my device for all these other great games!!

SeanR1221

So looking forward to finishing KOTOR up soon, I;m about 25 hours in and can feel the end approaching. I need that space on my device for all these other great games!!

Wow how did I miss that? I had no idea it was out.

Still grinding for the random clothes and jetpacks in jetpack joyride. I was so tempted to throw 10.00 at half brick and speed up the process but then I'd have nothing to earn ;)

37 hours deep in this game.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Wow how did I miss that? I had no idea it was out.

Still grinding for the random clothes and jetpacks in jetpack joyride. I was so tempted to throw 10.00 at half brick and speed up the process but then I'd have nothing to earn ;)

37 hours deep in this game.

Came out a month ago iirc. Certainly a more productive way to spend your time than grinding in JJ :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom