• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming July 2013: Filled with unethical beverages, like Lipton Brisk Iced Tea

Status
Not open for further replies.

PFD

I believe it's as simple as importing a photo from your Photos app, then doing some rudimentary mapping of it in the game.

Correct. The game asks you whether you wanna capture a photo or choose one from your library. I just used a random one I found on google, then played around with the size and lighting in-game to match the skin tone.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So I've been playing a good bit of Sonic CD lately. This is the first time I've actually been somewhat impressed by virtual controls, as in a console game's controls being emulated on a touch screen. They may not be quite as good as the real thing, but they don't feel like a constant burden, which is rare in my experience. Maybe it's due to the inherent slideyness of Sonic's movement, but it just works.

The actual game is pretty damn good. I definitely see why people complain about the level design, it's all over the place, but it looks, sounds and feels like classic Sonic. I grew up on the Genesis games but this is my first time with CD.

Anyways, check it out if you're looking for a quality traditional platformer on iOS.

SteveWD40

Hey guys, uh, Candy Crush.

rCwpNgT.gif

It's a Mum's and Kids game, a shit version of a far better game loaded with IAP.

drspeedy

So a quick, slightly OT question for iOS GAF... I seem to have done something wrong, I have no idea what, but I can't update or install any apps. I've tried OTA, Wifi and downloading via iTunes, but absolutely nothing works. I click install, iTunes spins a while, then... nothing. Same for updates; open App Store, click update, and nada.

Strangely enough, I can only see the last 3 games I've downloaded when I look at my phone through iTunes. There's 10 other games and apps installed, but none of them show up (I assume I can use the "Transfer Purchases from iPhone" action to update that list).

What the heck happened?

So a quick, slightly OT question for iOS GAF... I seem to have done something wrong, I have no idea what, but I can't update or install any apps. I've tried OTA, Wifi and downloading via iTunes, but absolutely nothing works. I click install, iTunes spins a while, then... nothing. Same for updates; open App Store, click update, and nada.

Strangely enough, I can only see the last 3 games I've downloaded when I look at my phone through iTunes. There's 10 other games and apps installed, but none of them show up (I assume I can use the "Transfer Purchases from iPhone" action to update that list).

What the heck happened?

tumblr_lzv5f0I0Pz1qbs6ydo1_500.jpg

PFD

What the heck happened?

Is your phone full by any chance? Have you try logging out of your App Store account and then signing back in?

ToxicAdam

LOL!

Should have mentioned, I've powered on and off multiple times, no luck. I'm close to step 2: "Throw across room while swearing loudly."

Couldn't you do a system restore through Itunes?

My App Store app has gone screwy a few nights ago. When you click on the Updates tab, it is blank (even though there are notifications you have new updates).

Strange question I guess, but can any Euro think of any other apps that have not been released in Europe that are worthwhile. Puzzle & Dragons got me to create a US account, after waiting months for a European release.

Milla

Neo Member
game_icon_rua2_200x200.png

In case the Robot Unicorn Attack 2 players here missed it, there's an update adding some new music, and leaderboards :)

Milla

Neo Member
Why exactly do people like this game so much? It looks like a generic (gameplay wise) runner to me, nice visuals and art style though

I'm biased so I won't try and clear that up for you, but it's free. The best way to find out is to try it. No skin off your nose if you don't like it and delete it :)

ToxicAdam

Why exactly do people like this game so much? It looks like a generic (gameplay wise) runner to me, nice visuals and art style though

The original came out when runners were still young (post-Canabalt), it became a bit of a message board sensation because of it's colorful graphics and over the top presentation.

drspeedy

Is your phone full by any chance? Have you try logging out of your App Store account and then signing back in?

Couldn't you do a system restore through Itunes?

My App Store app has gone screwy a few nights ago. When you click on the Updates tab, it is blank (even though there are notifications you have new updates).

Thanks for the replies! I've logged out and back in, and deleted 2 gigs (wasn't full, but wanted to see if it could help), still not able to update or download to the phone. I did manage to sync the apps on the phone with iTunes, but not sure that's solved anything.

I did a restore, but it only reset my contacts and email... Other step is a factory restore, but I'd need my IT desk to do that, its a company phone.

Best I can tell from the internet is that I might have an unfinished download- apparently ios only lets you download one thing at a time, so if one stalls or you're disconnected from wifi in the middle of a download nothing can happen until the first one is cleared. Which might make sense, the GBA4ios thing a few pages back never worked for me, I'm thinking I'm borked since that window has been permanently closed... Unless I can clear that from my queue factory reset might be the only option. The icon doesn't even appear on my screen or itunes, I can't find any way to delete something that doesn't exist

Thanks for the replies! I've logged out and back in, and deleted 2 gigs (wasn't full, but wanted to see if it could help), still not able to update or download to the phone. I did manage to sync the apps on the phone with iTunes, but not sure that's solved anything.

I did a restore, but it only reset my contacts and email... Other step is a factory restore, but I'd need my IT desk to do that, its a company phone.

Best I can tell from the internet is that I might have an unfinished download- apparently ios only lets you download one thing at a time, so if one stalls or you're disconnected from wifi in the middle of a download nothing can happen until the first one is cleared. Which might make sense, the GBA4ios thing a few pages back never worked for me, I'm thinking I'm borked since that window has been permanently closed... Unless I can clear that from my queue factory reset might be the only option. The icon doesn't even appear on my screen or itunes, I can't find any way to delete something that doesn't exist

out of curiosity, I have a company iPhone as well. (I have to carry two around-I don't put my personal stuff on the company one.)

Our company installs this horrible seccurity program called MDM on the iPhone and it really causes a lot of random problems. Do you know if your phone has this or something similar installed?

PFD

I've had an app stuck on install once. Forgot what I did to solve the problem, but I think I did a hard reset.

Alternatively, you can install apps through iFunBox. But it's not ideal, as you'd have to download them from iTunes, then open iFunBox and point to the iTunes download folder.

Okay follow these steps.

-Close all of your apps.
-Put phone in airplane mode, then close the settings app.
-Turn the device off with the power button, do not do a hard reset.
-Now download Phone Clean. The application will remove cache data, files that have gotten stuck or failed downloads. A lot of stuff that can junk up your devices.
-Next after removing that space cycle you phones power again, and try the app store.

PFD

Okay follow these steps.

-Close all of your apps.
-Put phone in airplane mode, then close the settings app.
-Turn the device off with the power button, do not do a hard reset.
-Now download Phone Clean. The application will remove cache data, files that have gotten stuck or failed downloads. A lot of stuff that can junk up your devices.
-Next after removing that space cycle you phones power again, and try the app store.

Good advice. Didn't think of PhoneClean.

So after I get Puddle tonight, I'm planning on getting some older games that I missed. What are the general impressions on 14px, Incoboto, and Mage Gauntlet?

Found 14px on the Hidden Gem thread, looks like a nice SMB-esque platformer

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
May end up getting a free 3GS from a friend. I know it's a peasant phone but it would be my first foray into iOS.
And a great first step into next-gen awesomeness! Welcome :3

SteveWD40

Puddle tonight, nice.

Also worth a look, Pocket Gamers 36 most anticipated mobile games this year.

Highlights (for me):

Wayward Saga
Stealth Bastard (had no idea this was coming to iOS)
Terraria
Space Age
Drifter (been looking forward to this for ever)
Hearthstone
Junk Jack X

On top of (from my Touch Arcade wishlist):

Fez
Worms 3 (I am an optimist...)
The Day I Tried
Albion Online (looks promising)

heringer

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Anyone have a good list of essential and free apps or games?

I'm interested in streaming sports, radio, games, calculators, GPS, the works.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
PREPARE YOURSELF FOR PURE AWESOMENESS.

After Year Walk, this jumped straight in my MOST WANTED top position.

Simogo presents DEVICE6, their next game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrpAzVcebhg

I SO WANT THIS RIGHT NOW.

EDIT: Blog post that 'explains' the game a bit more.
http://simogo.com/blog/2013/07/31/simogo-presents-device-6/
Year Walk is now my 2nd favorite game this year, right after TLOU. This looks to have the same insane deranged quality to it, which I couldn't be happier about, as I really didn't like much their more 'normal' games prior to YW.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
12 hours till my 3G recharges and I've still got 3gb to use this month. Tell me what to download, NAAAOW!

12 hours till my 3G recharges and I've still got 3gb to use this month. Tell me what to download, NAAAOW!

a recent gameloft game would do the trick.

you do know that downloads over data is capped at 50mb unless you are using a jailbreak tweak or tethering?

you can also probably stream a 1080p netflix video too lol

Yoshichan

What? When I download stuff, it eats my "total" bandwidth, I get 5gb every month and it doesn't stack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom