• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introducing the Raspberry Pi Zero - Faster than the OG Pi and only $5

bomblord1

Banned
http://www.androidauthority.com/raspberry-pi-zero-658117/

raspberry-pi-zero-840x586.jpg

Exactly 1/2 the size of the model A+ and 40% faster this new Pi costs $5 with a 1 ghz arm 11 and 512MB of ram. Can't wait to see the handhelds people make from this. Considering the original could run retroarch and emulators as well as a few homebrew style games this should do great in emulators from around the SNES and older era.

Pi Zero is the latest product from this British company, and despite its diminutive size, it can do quite a bit of heavy lifting. The $5 computer is actually faster than the original Raspberry Pi, which cost $25. Apart from being the most inexpensive computer out there, the Pi Zero is also the company’s most compact computer ever, at exactly half the size of the Model A+. For those who seek its exact dimensions, the Pi Zero measures 65mm x 30mm, i.e. smaller than the credit card in your wallet.

To promote the launch of the Pi Zero, Raspberry is giving away free units of their $5 computer with every issue of MagPi, the company’s monthly magazine. The magazine costs £5.99 in the UK, whereas the Pi Zero costs £3.99. It’s a unique way of promoting a computer, and it is also the first time that a computer is being given away for free with the purchase of a magazine.Planning to take on a new DIY computing project and only have $5 to spare? Don’t worry, Raspberry Pi Zero has you covered. The board is already on sale across retail outlets in the US and the UK. Many retailers are bundling adapters and microSD cards, but you only need to buy them if you don’t have them already.

raspberry-pi-zero-computer-then-and-now-840x1093.jpg

Specs

A Broadcom BCM2835 application processor
1GHz ARM11 core (40% faster than Raspberry Pi 1)
512MB of LPDDR2 SDRAM
A micro-SD card slot
A mini-HDMI socket for 1080p60 video output
Micro-USB sockets for data and power
An unpopulated 40-pin GPIO header
Identical pinout to Model A+/B+/2B
An unpopulated composite video header
Our smallest ever form factor, at 65mm x 30mm x 5mm

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
In the U.S. except for Microcenter in store pickup the first shipments have already sold out.

As have all Rasp Pi's. You're pretty much put on a waiting list for 3-4 months until the demand subsides from each new version.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
That thing costs half as much as the HDMI cable I have that I could connect to it.

You would need an mini-HDMI adapter for a normal HDMI cable on the Pi Zero, though. It's cramped EVERYTHING to make that size. So you need a USB hub with mini-USB connection and a mini-HDMI along with the power-cable.

Samuray

Quick question from a Raspberry n00b:

I really want to play some Amiga games and not every title would be available through Amiga CD32, even when considering those "unofficial" compilations like "Turrican Trilogy" and whatnot.

However, HDMI is a huge deal breaker for me....I wanna play on CRT.
So would it be possible to make an adapter or something HDMI -> RGB?
Including sound if at all possible.

I really want to play some Amiga games and not every title would be available through Amiga CD32, even when considering those "unofficial" compilations like "Turrican Trilogy" and whatnot.

I could be wrong but I don't think these are capable of 240p or 15hz or whatever it's called.

You would need some kind of converter box.

HowZatOZ

Banned
As I found out in the OT thread I won't be able to use this for a server but I'll definitely be grabbing one to make a SNES console. Want me some Bubsy and Zombies Ate My Neighbours action.

WalTech

According to the web page there's an unpopulated composite video header, so you would just have to solder leads to the right holes and you'd be set. You may need to have an HDMI capable monitor to use first to change the setting to the composite initially, but I'm not sure on that one.

I'm definitely getting one of these and making a little emulator machine out of it.

FoxSpirit

That thing costs half as much as the HDMI cable I have that I could connect to it.

You would need an mini-HDMI adapter for a normal HDMI cable on the Pi Zero, though. It's cramped EVERYTHING to make that size. So you need a USB hub with mini-USB connection and a mini-HDMI along with the power-cable.
You can now start calculating the amount of ripoff on the cable and adapter.

TheTux

Is there a way to just connect it to power and to the TV via HDMI and use it via console from another computer without having to do some kind of installation which needs a keyboard connected to it?

Thanks in advance

WalTech

Is there a way to just connect it to power and to the TV via HDMI and use it via console from another computer without having to do some kind of installation which needs a keyboard connected to it?

Thanks in advance

Yep, you can use TightVNC to run it headless. I used to use a pi to run an Owncloud server that had no monior, keyboard, or anything. You could just access it from another computer or cell phone on the same wifi network.

There's an article about it here that shows you how to do it:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/remote-access/vnc/

bomblord1

Banned
Yep, you can use TightVNC to run it headless. I used to use a pi to run an Owncloud server that had no monior, keyboard, or anything. You could just access it from another computer or cell phone on the same wifi network.

There's an article about it here that shows you how to do it:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/remote-access/vnc/

Just a heads up there's no WiFi on this so some form of adapter or accesory would be necessary.

bomblord1

Banned
Is it just an emulator machine? What else can it do?

It's literally a $5 arm based PC. it's main purpose is for hobbyists to use it for projects and to teach coding. There's several OS's available for it and even a Windows 10 build made for the machines.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Raspberry Blog

rsz_img_4054-500x349.jpg

Today, I’m pleased to be able to announce the immediate availability of Raspberry Pi Zero, made in Wales and priced at just $5. Zero is a full-fledged member of the Raspberry Pi family, featuring:

A Broadcom BCM2835 application processor
1GHz ARM11 core (40% faster than Raspberry Pi 1)
512MB of LPDDR2 SDRAM
A micro-SD card slot
A mini-HDMI socket for 1080p60 video output
Micro-USB sockets for data and power
An unpopulated 40-pin GPIO header
Identical pinout to Model A+/B+/2B
An unpopulated composite video header
Our smallest ever form factor, at 65mm x 30mm x 5mm

Raspberry Pi Zero runs Raspbian and all your favourite applications, including Scratch, Minecraft and Sonic Pi. It is available today in the UK from our friends at The Pi Hut and Pimoroni, and in the US from Adafruit and in-store at your local branch of Micro Center. We’ve built several tens of thousands of units so far, and are building more, but we expect demand to outstrip supply for the next little while.

Top Bottom