• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Raspberry Pi/SBC/Mini PC Thread

Bullet Club

This case looks very nice.

This is the NEW RetroFlag PiStation Case. This is absolutely the best raspberry pi4 case that is available in the market so far.

This device some as 2 different setups. You can purchase just the PiStation case on its own, or if you want to go with the full setup, you can purchase the PiStation case complete with an optional screen that they are calling the PiStation LCD. The screen is a 4.3 inch screen.

Many of you guys know I am a big fan of the RetroFlag brand and I am really excited about the release of this raspberry pi 4 case.

The case has not release on the market just yet, but as soon as it does I will update the links below for purchase. Keep in mind these things typically sell out pretty quickly so if you are interested in grabbing one, I wouldn't wait.

Bullet Club

Retroflag has done it again but this time it's a PS1 style case for the raspberry pi4 with an opti=nal screen! This is the all-new RetroFlag Pistation case and it's amazing and very well could be the best Retro style raspberry pi case ever! 2 Version will be available the Base PiSTation with no screen and the PiStation Case with a 4.3 inch IPS display like the PSOne LCD, the whole thing can run on a battery bank and adds a full-size HDMI port to the Raspberry Pi 4! In this video, we take a first look at the RetroFlag PiStation cases and test a few PS1 games! The PiStation case will be available on November 28th on Amazon.

PaintTinJr

From what I've managed to watch of the video, it seems good, but for anyone trying to get every ounce of performance out of their pie for desktop gui stuff with a vnc server connection, they definitely should switch the background desktop to a sold colour, as it anecdotally improves the response of a vnc connection, and probably burdens the CPU and ram less.

There appears to be an old bug carried over from earlier Debian in regards to using bigger swap file sizes configs(/etc/dphy- swapfile) than 2GBs that I'm experiencing with the 64bit version. Even when you specify bigger, running (htop, a shell task manager) shows the swap file is capped at 2048MBs. Although the cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness value is configured to standard debian server value of 65 (65%), rather than 10(10%) for desktop PC, or 35 (35%) for RPI - which I think is optimal, so probably not such a big issue, anyway, when it seems that somewhere in the 200MB to 400MB used swap file size is a sweet spot for performance on 1GB and 2GB RPi3/4 on fast class 10 U3 micro sdcards - and bullseye comes configured with just 100MB of swapfile by default, anyway.

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
It looks like Raspberry Pi Zero 2's are sold out everywhere.
I guess I'll have to wait to 2022.
I believe Eben Upton said that there will be another 200,000+ units available early next year.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Okay, finally got to finish my new Pi build. First refresh in about 3 years, replacing my Genesis-case Pi 3 (and 128GB card).

This time I put a Pi CM4 in a RetroFlag GPi 2 case with a 400GB SD card. This case has a lot of interesting features, the biggest being that it can dock and connect to a TV and USB devices, or go full portable with a rechargeable battery.

Some of these features are a little jank because the Pi wasn't meant to work this way. Like, docking requires a reboot. And sleeping doesn't actually sleep the board itself so you still lose battery. Purely as a handheld there are better options out there, with some of the new Androids.

It also doesn't have an analog stick and a million buttons like PiBoy DMG. But that's honestly a blessing, because that shit was cluttered and awkward and (as I see it) the whole point of the portable mode here is to be able to play retro handhelds like Game Boy and Game Gear in a nostalgic form factor that feels right for those games.

It's really good at that. The screen is not as high quality as the Analogue Pocket or anything, but it is a lot better than past similar products, and good enough to run these old handhelds with some nice LCD filters to give them an authentic look.

The limited controls mean it's not that great for playing newer consoles like N64 or Dreamcast on the go, but it does seem pretty capable of playing those in docked mode, at least at native resolution. I am not overclocking since this case is limited to passive heatsinks.

Probably not really a direct competitor to something like the Retroid Pocket 2 or AYN Odin. At the end of the day it's still a Pi4 case and some of its ambitions are limited by the reality of what you can do with a Pi. But it's one of the coolest Pi4 cases around.

AREYOUOKAY?

By the time I can even find a 4 in stock Pi 5 will be a thing. Really hate this because 3b+ can't really use the Sinden light guns or well it lacks the support.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

I dunno but maybe I should just get the Pi 400 if I even can.
I bought one recently for testing with a Minecraft server setup comparison to the Pi4 2GB and even though the extra RAM made virtually no difference to performance - because it seems like the limiting factor for such out-of-order execution workloads on Pi4 is CPU cache size because even SSD isn't better than a fast MicroSD running MC.

The cooling system in the Pi 400 is probably worth about £40 IMO, because it is flawless when overclocked at 2145Mhz running CPUburn and memtest workloads at the same time in 12hr tests - despite being passive.

The £20 active fan/heatsink on my 2GB pi4 is noisy and the chip runs much hotter in similar overclocked stress tests. If you can get a 400 at a good price, I would definitely recommend instead of a regular Pi4.

Bullet Club

The all-new RK3588 Blows the other SOC competition out of the water. This thing is really powerful and is capable of running 8K 60fps and 4k 120fps but that’s just the start! Want to run Genshin impact, Pubg, COD mobile on a single board computer? The RK3588 can and also handles high-end emulation like Gamecube and Wii using the dolphin emulator, PS2 using AetherSX2, and PSP at 5X resolution! This board supports Android 12 and Ubuntu Linux we test both in this video.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Can any of these SBCs handle PS2 emulation?
Not really at the time you wrote this, however about 6 months ago we got an emulator called Aether SX2 which is bringing quality PS2 emulation to Android, which puts it in play for some higher end Android-powered SBCs.

It's still a pretty tall order, more demanding than GameCube and PSP, and it won't work on RetroPie/Linux based set ups yet, but it's in play at least.

Bullet Club

This Single Board computer is Insanely fast, in fact, it’s the fastest Arm-based SBC we’ve ever tested! In this video, we test out the FireFly RK3588S PC arm Board. Powered by the RK3588S the performance is on par with the Snapdragon 855+ and 865 SOC! It can run basically anything from Genshin Impact, PUBG, Cod mobile, GameCube using the Dolphin Emulator, and even PS2 using AetherSX2!

AREYOUOKAY?

Well I did get a 400, but with how this premade is setup I think I should go back to what I know instead of Batocera. I mean they all basically use Retroarch in the end right? Either way the damn thing absolutely refuses to shut off.

Last edited:

Bullet Club

The New reComputer Jetson-10 is a plug-and-play Arm-based mini Linux PC/Development board powered by the Nvidia Jetson Nano! In this video, we take a look at the overall performance, and user experience and test out some Emulation like Dreamcast, PSP, and Sega Saturn.

Doczu

I wanted to buy a few RBPs for a few project - amiga, photo server and a security cam, but due to shortages the prices are overkill. Any idea when it will get better? Cause i aint paying scalpers a dime

I wanted to buy a few RBPs for a few project - amiga, photo server and a security cam, but due to shortages the prices are overkill. Any idea when it will get better? Cause i aint paying scalpers a dime
hopefully soon pi5 is probably around the corner tho

Doczu

hopefully soon pi5 is probably around the corner tho
Well i'd currently kill for a msrp PI400 and Zero 2W. Dont think i'd have use for a Pi 5(00), unless the emulation gains would be significant. Other projects in my mind could run on the Zero's, so i'm mostly pissed they are either out of stock or going for the price of a RPi 4 😐

Bullet Club

In this video, we take a look at the upcoming N6000 X86 Single Board computer! Slated to cost only $99 for a bare-bones unit this could turn out to be an awesome Raspberry pi alternative/Replacement. Powered by the Intel Pentium Silver N6000 it can run Gamecube at full speed, PSP, Dreamcast, N64, and more. Plus it does 4K video very well and handled PC gaming. Champ with older titles. SO is this something you would be interested in at $99?

Fitzchiv

As a bit of a simpleton with mini PC's, can anyone recommend a decent solution to use as a Plex server drawing from a MyCloud NAS, transcoding to am LG C9? Right now I've got a Lenovo ideacentre with a 1650 in it doing the job, seems a bit of overkill and yet still struggles transcoding certain files.

Bullet Club

A Snapdragon box. Interesting.

In this video we take a look at the new Apcsilmic Dot 1 Mini. It’s powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 7C and runs Windows 11 on Arm! We tes the overall performance, Pc games, game steaming and even Emulation. With up to 8GB of ram and 256GB of storage this tiny low power pc actually performs much better than I thought it would.

Doczu

Well there are many possible replacements boards if it's gaming or emulation you're after (with far better performance and even price), but there isn't as much if you want to do some cheap, barely power hungry projects and that sucks.
I'm searching for msrp price boards for 3 months now and there are none to be found 😐

Last edited:

Bullet Club

All New LattePanda Delta 3 is here and it's the fastest most affordable Lattepanda so Far! In this video we do an unboxing, go over the specs, and Test some 4k Video playback, PC gaming, and emulation like PSP, PS2, Gamecube, and WiiU. Powered by the Intel N5105 CPU and backed by 8GB of ram this little X86 SIngle board computer does offer better performance than the Raspberry pi 4 but is it worth buying? Let's find out.

Top Bottom