• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Interstellar getting another Imax run in theaters this fall for the 10th anniversary

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It's been 10 years!?

No, it's been 84.

Its Been A Long Time Waiting GIF

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
What a great movie.

Only one point which I didn't understand. Maybe someone could help. After they hit the wormhole how do they travel to those different planets so quickly? I understand all that slingshot stuff but that seemed one point of the plot which wasn't covered. It seems it would have taken lifetimes to get between them?

wipeout364

I am surprised at how many on here seem to like this movie so much. I thought it was pretty mediocre and Matthew McConaughey seemed really miscast for his role. I say that as someone who generally likes his acting.

The movie to me did not make sense. The extra dimensional stuff was just goofy and not in a good way.

Ad Astra was another movie that let me down. Both movies set up an intriguing premise and initial run but could not thread the needle and veered into unsatisfying resolutions.

I probably have myself to blame for having high expectations for interstellar.

What a great movie.

Only one point which I didn't understand. Maybe someone could help. After they hit the wormhole how do they travel to those different planets so quickly? I understand all that slingshot stuff but that seemed one point of the plot which wasn't covered. It seems it would have taken lifetimes to get between them?
It is implied that the planets are only solar systems apart (by design of the mission) and the crew is put into hibernation during deep space travel. It is also implied that their space technology is more advanced than ours.

I am surprised at how many on here seem to like this movie so much. I thought it was pretty mediocre and Matthew McConaughey seemed really miscast for his role. I say that as someone who generally likes his acting.

The movie to me did not make sense. The extra dimensional stuff was just goofy and not in a good way.
I liked the film (and the casting) but it juggled too many ideas and used dubious explanations for making the plot circle back on itself. There is enough there to make a shorter, bleaker, and more coherent film worthy of recognition, but it requires some serious work.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
What a great movie.

Been a long time but I think the planets are supposed to be in the same system, in close proximity.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
What a great movie.

Its the same solar system. The Miller/water planet and the Frozen/Matt Damon planet are very close to the Black hole. When they rescue the ship after Matt Damon blows it up, one of the robots says that they are being pulled into the black hole so clearly the matt damon planet was also very close to the black hole.

The final planet with Ann Hathaway's bf was farther away and they didnt have enough fuel to get there so they do the slingshot maneuver to get her there with no way back. We dont know how long it took her to get there. its possible several weeks or months or years like how long it took them to get to saturn which was 2 years.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
”Love is the answer to the 5th dimension” ruins the movie. Otherwise an exceptional work
they never said that though. The first time the love line is said, its just ramblings of a woman who is on the verge of a breakdown because she knows she will likely never see her lover again.

The second and last time its said is when he's in the tesseract. And while the future sentient beings were able to construct the tessaract for the humans to go back and visit each point in time of their lives, they simply needed a personal touch to actually get the point across. For Cooper, it was his connection with his daughter. The watch to be more precise. The sentient beings from the future dont have that personal connection so whatever data they could send using gravity/strings would simply be ignored as anomalies.

Arrival explores this really well. The aliens have a way to see into the future but because of the language gap they couldnt even give them the technology despite being face to face. The sentients here were using time as a physical dimension to communicate but couldnt even physical travel back in time and thus needed that connection between murph and cooper to transfer that knowledge.

its hacky but im surprised at how many people simply took that dialogue at face value. the way they actually save the world is by relying upon the sentients creating the tessaract then sending back the data using string theory. it has nothing to with love traversing time and space. its literally string theory.

Last edited:

E-Cat

they never said that though. The first time the love line is said, its just ramblings of a woman who is on the verge of a breakdown because she knows she will likely never see her lover again.

The second and last time its said is when he's in the tesseract. And while the future sentient beings were able to construct the tessaract for the humans to go back and visit each point in time of their lives, they simply needed a personal touch to actually get the point across. For Cooper, it was his connection with his daughter. The watch to be more precise. The sentient beings from the future dont have that personal connection so whatever data they could send using gravity/strings would simply be ignored as anomalies.

Arrival explores this really well. The aliens have a way to see into the future but because of the language gap they couldnt even give them the technology despite being face to face. The sentients here were using time as a physical dimension to communicate but couldnt even physical travel back in time and thus needed that connection between murph and cooper to transfer that knowledge.

its hacky but im surprised at how many people simply took that dialogue at face value. the way they actually save the world is by relying upon the sentients creating the tessaract then sending back the data using string theory. it has nothing to with love traversing time and space. its literally string theory.
No, I’m saying it merely being hacky / hokey ruins the movie (for me)

Chittagong

Gold Member
On one hand, this will be amazing in 70mm.

On the other hand, BFI IMA has maybe six seats that are actually comfortable for that giant screen.

redbutton.gif

All I can think about is how much my life has changed so drastically since the movie came out.

One of the greatest soundtracks for a movie ever.

Vick

Yeah... it genuinely feels like 2 or 3 years ago I've watched this on the big screen to me. Time is fucking accelerating, somehow.
I've found myself thinking about this phenomenon all the time recently..

It's simply disturbing how fast time is flying by compared to childhood/adolescence.

And it's apparently going to get worse and worse..

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I've found myself thinking about this phenomenon all the time recently..

It's simply disturbing how fast time is flying by compared to childhood/adolescence.

And it's apparently going to get worse and worse..

Yep, it stops later though. You know, when we’re dead.
Valentines Day Love GIF by Birch Aquarium at Scripps

Top Bottom