• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel shows [limited development run] desktop Xe graphics card, DG1, laptop graphics running Destiny

LordOfChaos

DG1_Car_678x452.jpg

DG1_Box_575px.jpg

Xe_Laptop_575px.jpg

It was also this system that Intel used to show off that, yes, the DG1 dev card works as well. In this case it was running Warframe at 1080p, though Intel was not disclosing FPS numbers or what settings were used. Going by the naked eye alone, it’s clear that the card was struggling at times to maintain a smooth framerate, but as this is early hardware on early software, it’s clearly not in a state where Intel is even focusing on performance.

Overall, Intel has been embarking on an extended, trickle-feed media campaign for the Xe GPU family, and this week’s DG1 public showcase is the latest in that Odyssey campaign. So expect to see Intel continuing these efforts over the coming months, as Intel gradually prepares Tiger Lake and DG1 for their respective launches.

So
1) Looks like a low power boi as speculated, entirely bus powered, small heatsink, so under 75W. Not a performance champ here.
2) 512 EUs, so at 8 ALUs per EU that's 4096 unified shaders, then if you want to do the old scully from there to get a ballpark idea of it from there, Gflops are a paper calculation of shaders * 2 ops per core per cycle * clock speed, so a 1GHz part would be 8Tflops, etc, noting as always that flops don’t compare performance across architectures.
3) You can't buy this, DG1 is pretty much the same config as the laptop Tiger Lake IGP part, so it's more of a development part so people can start to work on it without buying a new Tiger lake system.

Impressive, not really, but we're seeing more and more of the third major entrant into the dedicated GPU space. Do remember this is the Low Power (LP) silicon too

3_575px.jpg

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Put the gen 3 of this product in a NUC
(Not that idiotic new size)

And watch me buy it day 1.

Nuc is one of the coolest things ever.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Small GPUs aren't new, when I got my GTX1080 (after several years of owning an 7970) there were plenty "mini" options, though most of them had a little lower specs. But this small one won't match up to the best large GPU either (duh). Without specs, size is irrelevant.

And that was for a top of the line flagship GPU range at the time (ok, I believe the Ti line was also already out but come on, it was excessively overpriced and overkill), lesser cards that don't need as much cooling or surface area for their bits and pieces could be even smaller still.

I went for the Zotac 1080 mini myself, not because of the size which isn't too small but because it was actually a full spec model without cuts with decent air cooling (dual fan vs other true-minis single fan) so it doesn't throttle and it was actually also among the cheapest 1080 models.

I'll definitely keep trusting Zotac in the future for my stuff (as long as they maintain the price/performance ratio), before that I only had Gigabyte and MSI cards but there's no reason to pay a brand premium when less known (depending on the region) companies offer just as robust products.

But hey, more competition is great. If they have a good product for the price tier they don't need to beat the top of the line most expensive Nvidia GPUs, they can do well by beating their medium or low ranges in both price and performance to start gaining traction and benefiting the consumers.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

In fairness to Intel, everyone is judging it so hard on the performance of a prerelease part that's only the desktop version of the Tiger Lake IGP. 96 EUs. Not only will drivers and silicon mature, but DG2 will go up to 512EUs, the math from my original OP, where 96 would land in the low single digit Tflop range.

If you compare it to something like a 1030 running Destiny 2, it's probably not miles behind, and again, not launch drivers or silicon.

Last edited:

magnumpy

high end gpus becoming homogenized. which is inevitable... in the 1970s the concept of a PC was far flung futuristic pipe dreams, whereas today ~80% of that functionality is available on the relatively inexpensive cell phone that pretty much everyone carries around in their pocket close to 24/7. imagine where we will be in another 10 years D:

LordOfChaos

Intel also states that they will be unveiling 'powerful' features of their Xe graphics architecture that might hint at techs such as ray tracing or better, which has been hinted in previous rumors. Other than that, the Xe graphics architecture is said to bring significant compute, geometry & throughput improvements over current Gen 11 GPUs

Just worth calling out again that the demos shown are on the LP model, excited to see the high performance version and learn about what's novel things about its architecture Intel is bringing to the GPU space.

Top Bottom