• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel Officially Unveils NUC 9 Extreme Kit The “Ghost Canyon NUC”

Bullet Club

Intel Officially Unveils NUC 9 Extreme Kit The “Ghost Canyon NUC”

rJ51wwl.jpg

CES 2020 is just getting wound up and Intel is hot out the gate with sneak peeks galore including their 10th Gen Comet Lake H Series high-performance mobile parts, but that's in another article. We're looking at something that has been seen before but is now officially known as the Intel NUC 9 Extreme Kit, or more commonly referred to as the Ghost Canyon NUC.

snGrJp8.jpg

Since this was just a preview we didn't get all the details as those will be coming later during the duration of CES and we'll revisit as we learn more. But, we know that the Ghost Canyon NUC will be powered by 9th Gen Intel Core H Series processors and will be available ranging from Core i5 to Core i9 with the top-end Core i9 being an unlocked SKU. We expect the core count to reflect those available in current i5's with 4 cores and 8 threads, the i7 featuring 6 cores and 12 threads, and the i9 featuring 8 cores and 16 threads.

The unit is confirmed to feature Intel's Compute Element system that allows for CPU upgrades through replacing the core portion of the unit that houses the motherboard, CPU, and I/O so that this wouldn't be a one time purchase but rather something you could keep upgrading over time unlike previous NUC designs like Haydes Canyon was. But, this design also lends itself to the more appealing nature of the Ghost Canyon, the ability to add in a discrete graphics card of your choice, provided it is under the 8" restriction that this 5ltr chassis limits it to.

According to wording from Intel, it seems that this 'kit' will be available to OEMs to design around and may actually exist as a reference design for others to follow. Either way, it is a tiny and powerful platform that allows for a bit of flexibility and could lend itself to making a killer living room gaming PC.

PUxx6S2.jpg

We were given the opportunity to get some pictures of the Intel Ghost Canyon NUC to better illustrate its size as well as the I/O that it features. If you look closely in the first image you can see the blower-style heatsink and fan assembly that is used to cool the CPU but you can also see that the entire side of the unit is mesh which should aid in cooling if a discrete GPU is added to the setup.
  • Rear: 4x USB 3.0 Ports, 2x RJ-45 Ports, 1x HDMI, 1x Audio Combo Port, 2x Thunderbolt Ports, Power Plug for built-in PSU
  • Front: Power Button, 2x USB (3.0?) Ports, SD Card Reader (?), 1x Audio Combo Port
More to come on the Intel Ghost Canyon NUC as CES 2020 marches on!

Source: WCCFTech

44WSpNR.png

ekF5zIp.jpg

Leonidas

I've been interested in this for quite some time. Could definitely see myself buying one.

What's cool is that other OEMs are making their own versions too, the Intel version only has space for 8 inch GPU, but Razer is developing one where you can put in a 12 inch GPU, big enough for 2080 Ti FE :goog_smile_face_eyes:

Would love to replace my monster desktop with this beaut.

Last edited:
I prefer the old form factor, that could actually fit behind a TV or monitor. This seems like just a tiny PC case. You could just get one of those small form factor cases and achieve a similar size, only with more freedom to pick parts and upgrade. It's a neat thing, but not as neat as the old NUCs.

While I like these products exist and I love reading about them, I've always wondered who is this aimed at exactly?
I love their small cases and semi powerful tech crammed in that small space, but this power in a small form factor does come with a price premium.
So it's not exactly a product for enthusiasts, you could have better specs for less, it's not for mainstream consumers because of the price and it's not for IOT/embedded devices because companies have access to much cheaper products. So I genuinely want to know who is this aimed at.

marquimvfs

Good! A shitty laptop with a "pretty" case, and a pci-e slot. I don't understand the appeal to those things. Isn't better to assemble (or ask to) your mini-itx with whatever case/parts you like?

The purpose of most desktop gaming PC's being fucking huge is so you can put a lot of fans in them and move a lot of air for heat dissipation.

If your goal is to throttle performance as much as possible, then sure this seems like a good idea. Or I guess if you are going to move to purely water-cooled. Otherwise....I can't imagine how long it will be able to maintain peak clock speeds with a form factor like that before thermally throttling. I give it maybe 20 seconds.

Top Bottom