• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel confirms Meteor Lake for Desktop. Coming 2024. Intel 4 Process. Tiled Architecture.

Leonidas

Glad to see it. Might have to upgrade my PC in 2024 with one of these new tiled CPUs.

Been reading up on the tiled architecture and it seems to be a nice advancement in the CPU space.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

Glad to see it. Might have to upgrade my PC in 2024 with one of these new tiled CPUs.

Been reading up on the tiled architecture and it seems to be a nice advancement in the CPU space.
MeteorLake is only for low end SKUs.
It likely wouldnt be an upgrade unless you are already an i3/i5 user.

No i7s and i9s.

Wait for the next LGA 1851 which will actually be a real upgrade across the board.

JuJSFI692nH6ID50.jpg

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
Why the hell would you do Raptor Lake, Meteor Lake and Arrow Lake all in one year?

At this point just skip Raptor Lake.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Why the hell would you do Raptor Lake, Meteor Lake and Arrow Lake all in one year?
RaptorLake for users of LGA1700.
MeteorLake for people who only need an i3 or i5 but also want to move to LGA1851.
ArrowLake for people who want the full wormage.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
RaptorLake for users of LGA1700.
MeteorLake for people who only need an i3 or i5 but also want to move to LGA1851.
ArrowLake for people who want the full wormage.
I’ve been waiting for ArrowLake, but I’ve also been burned by both AMD and Intel on new platform launches, making it very hard to decide if I’ll jump in or not

Black_Stride

I’ve been waiting for ArrowLake, but I’ve also been burned by both AMD and Intel on new platform launches, making it very hard to decide if I’ll jump in or not
ArrowLake is likely going to be a real upgrade.
Hopefully PantherLake is also on LGA1851, if Intel can start doing 3 gens pers node itll be much better value.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Sigh, meteorlake is only going to be up to i5?
I guess arrow lake will be around next fall-winter?

XesqueVara

Performance-Wise the Difference between RPL-R and MTL will be Null, The upgrade will be mostly a efficiency one.
And Cost-Wise oh boy... These Tiles are costly.

Last edited:

shamoomoo

At this point just skip Raptor Lake.
Because raptors were ended by meteors which allowed arrows (humans) to exist so there is some logic to the naming scheme.😉😉😉

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Never buy into rumoured CPU improvements, too many bullshitters spreading lies, every Intel gen is "+15-20% more IPC" according to the "leaks".
Not even Intel says that.

The only time they boast about IPC improvements is generally on their next nodes, and we can all agree AlderLake was a huge improvement, Raptor and Raptor-R are basically optimizations to AlderLake.

They usually boast about Multi core improvements and gaming improvements.

If ArrowLake is still within reach of an overclocked AlderLake chip then skip it.
But their improvements even on LGA1700 between AlderLake and RaptorLake-R have been noticeable.

LGA 1851 should absolutely spank AlderLake though.

Black_Stride

Damn it, Intel stop it, i feel almost like my I7 11700k is outdated.
Well the 11700K kinda is outdated now.

The 13400 handily beats it, hell even the 12300 beats it and thats a pocket change CPU.
It currently trades blows with the 4 core 12100.
The Core Ultra 5 is likely gonna run circles around it, let alone the Core Ultra 7 and Ultra 9.

AlderLake was a huge jump in performance over the 10th and 11th gen.

relative-performance-games-1920-1080.png

amigastar

The 13400 handily beats it, hell even the 12300 beats it and thats a pocket change CPU.
The Core Ultra 5 is likely gonna run circles around it, let alone the Core Ultra 7 and Ultra 9.

Thank you for ruining my day :messenger_pensive:

Black_Stride

Thank you for ruining my day :messenger_pensive:
You should be happy.

LGA 1851 is releasing soon and youll get a sizeable upgrade if you want to stick with Intel.
If you decide to go AM5 literally every CPU is a good upgrade.

If you can hold out for ArrowLake itll be a generational leap for you.

This should be exciting because you can basically buy any CPU even the ~200 dollar ones and still see decent improvements.

Hell the 14500 is a 14 core 20 thread CPU that boosts to 5.0GHz out the box.
Youd be doubling your thread count easy work while also gaining a bunch of IPC.

amigastar

You should be happy.

LGA 1851 is releasing soon and youll get a sizeable upgrade if you want to stick with Intel.
If you decide to go AM5 literally every CPU is a good upgrade.

If you can hold out for ArrowLake itll be a generational leap for you.

This should be exciting because you can basically buy any CPU even the ~200 dollar ones and still see decent improvements.

Hell the 14500 is a 14 core 20 thread CPU that boosts to 5.0GHz out the box.
Youd be doubling your thread count easy work while also gaining a bunch of IPC.
Are these new CPUs on an other Sockel as my 11700k or the same?
Do i need a new motherboard?
Because if i need a new motherboard that makes me definitely not Happy :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Edit: It seems 14th gen needs a different sockel than 11th gen. I think i will hold out 2 or more years with my 11700k. Should be fine until that. Like you've said Arrow Lake should be a good upgrade and it's not coming before 2025.
And btw i've just bought an RTX 4070 which synergises good with my CPU so thats also fine.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

This is interesting tech for a possible APU for consoles next gen. For sure they are approaching them for it. Tile based CPU with efficient cores and the next iteration of Arc for RT and ML that will likely leap AMD, if one competitor is known the stay AMD, I would see the other one trying to gain the edge with Intel. Microsoft in particular.

This is interesting tech for a possible APU for consoles next gen. For sure they are approaching them for it. Tile based CPU with efficient cores and the next iteration of Arc for RT and ML that will likely leap AMD, if one competitor is known the stay AMD, I would see the other one trying to gain the edge with Intel. Microsoft in particular.
The console makers are stuck with AMD from here forward. Backwards compatibility will get tossed out of the equation if they switch to Intel and/or nVidia.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Are these new CPUs on an other Sockel as my 11700k or the same?
Do i need a new motherboard?
Because if i need a new motherboard that makes me definitely not Happy :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Edit: It seems 14th gen needs a different sockel than 11th gen. I think i will hold out 2 or more years with my 11700k. Should be fine until that. Like you've said Arrow Lake should be a good upgrade and it's not coming before 2025.

Even 12th, 13th and 14th gen are a new socket.....thats pretty mature now.
So yes a new motherboard will be necessary.
Why I mentioned LGA1700 is cuz those motherboards now cost sub 200 dollars to get a beyond decent one.

LGA1851 will likely launch with a premium until ArrowLake when they get "regular" prices.
Paying more for my motherboard than my CPU just doesnt make sense and I dont know when MB manufacturers thought that was a good idea.

All the CPU boost so high now getting K chips isnt even worth it anymore.

draliko

The console makers are stuck with AMD from here forward. Backwards compatibility will get tossed out of the equation if they switch to Intel and/or nVidia.
Absolutely not true... just like pc you can change GPU vendor and CPU vendor no problems as long as they use the same APIs, and for that there's abstraction layer to work with. If Intel wants they're absolutely fit for a console apu

Black_Stride

Both Intel and AMD are X86......theres nothing stopping live backwards compatibility, and if they use MeteorLake or ArrowLake, thats would be such a massive upgrade from Zen2 they could literally emulate the Series X|S.

People forget that Arc GPUs are already RTX3060Ti levels of performance and Arc Battlemage would likely be RTX3080 levels of performance.
BC on an all Intel game console would be a none-issue assuming they use Intel current(2024) line up.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Thinking about replacing my HTPC (i5-10400/1660super) with i5 Meteor Lake build w/ a lovelace super card (whenever thats a thing)

My 10400 is just this month starting to feel slow to me even just compared to my i7 Comet Lake main rig (I do a lot of Blu Ray stuff so I can't really upgrade this at all because of the lack of support)

Black_Stride

Thinking about replacing my HTPC (i5-10400/1660super) with i5 Meteor Lake build w/ a lovelace super card (whenever thats a thing)

My 10400 is just this month starting to feel slow to me even just compared to my i7 Comet Lake main rig (I do a lot of Blu Ray stuff so I can't really upgrade this at all because of the lack of support)
Ada isnt getting Super cards.
Nvidia see no need considering they are spanking the competish and, people have generally been happy with everything sans the 4060Ti and 4080.
They even delayed Blackwell cuz they might as well keep making a killing on Ada while they can and release Blackwell a year later.

LGA-1851 might be the Intels longest socket in a while.
4 "generations" on the same socket.....damn im so tempted to jump on that socket early.
Can a 14th gen chip last me till 2026?......NovaLake looks to be a massive massive upgrade from the 14th gen and I can maybe skip LGA-1851 entirely, hopefully the PS6 and XboxNext are releasing around 2026 so I can justify upgrading to NovaLake.

2HJYhAA.png

Last edited:
It's not as if the console manufacturers have never changed architectures and nixed BC in the past. If Sony decides switching to ARM is worth it, they'll go with Nvidia or someone else. Nintendo is doing fine with Nvidia and they are sticking with Nvidia for Switch 2.

winjer

Gold Member
It's not as if the console manufacturers have never changed architectures and nixed BC in the past. If Sony decides switching to ARM is worth it, they'll go with Nvidia or someone else. Nintendo is doing fine with Nvidia and they are sticking with Nvidia for Switch 2.

There isn't any real advantage to changing to ARM. But there are several disadvantages to changing, as that would require to change development tools, compilers, etc. And the end of easy backwards compatibility.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I am hoping I can stick with my X670E AM5 for several generations. I do wonder how long it will take to reach a successor to the 7800X3D.

It's nice to see Intel finally acting like they're behind AMD.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yes, but that was in an era when physical discs were still dominant. You're failing to consider that so many people now have large digital libraries. Backwards compatibility matters more than ever. This isn't the past. For better or worse.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

Skip to 14:00

Intel has been really vague about this but it sounds like Meteor Lake will NOT be coming as a socket-able desktop CPU. It will “come to desktops” only as all-in-one/SFF type systems (I.e. “desktops” that have laptop guts)

Last edited:

Sethbacca

I've been planning to replace my aging 4770k/1070 with a sff AMD Strix Halo system if the performance is really what has been rumored for a while now, but I'd consider one of these if I could get more performance in a smaller space.

Baffling they are releasing a new desktop architecture that will only be low-end and mid-range SKUs because said architecture is unable to scale up past 6-full cores or whatever the case. Hardly an endorsement for those wanting to upgrade.

Skip to 14:00

Intel has been really vague about this but it sounds like Meteor Lake will NOT be coming as a socket-able desktop CPU. It will “come to desktops” only as all-in-one/SFF type systems (I.e. “desktops” that have laptop guts)

That's even weirder then. Yet you have Leonidas on the first page saying he's itching to upgrade from his i9 13900KS to this?! Lmao.

aclar00

Anyone mind posting a quick breakdown of intels CPU naming scheme and how one is better than the other within the same generation?

I know i7>i5>i3 but when that shit starts with 14500 or 11200 or infinity and beyond it starts to throw me off....back in the day i feel like it was jus Celeron and Pentium (1, 2, 3, etc...) then maybe the Duos.

Black_Stride

Baffling they are releasing a new desktop architecture that will only be low-end and mid-range SKUs because said architecture is unable to scale up past 6-full cores or whatever the case. Hardly an endorsement for those wanting to upgrade.

Its basically an above mobile SKU for AIO desktop machines.
ArrowLake is also releasing at around the same time and will scale all the way to i9s.

Note. Intel is dropping the i3 i5 i7 i9 naming scheme.
So most people wont even know whether MeteorLake is low/mid range cuz its a whole new naming scheme and they will just assume Core Ultra xxx must be betterer.

Intels new tile based scalable architectures mean they can effectively make MeteorLake for AIOs, and ArrowLake for "desktop" desktops without it costing them too much to develop both in tandem.
They could and probably will actually release LGA1851 versions of MeteorLake.

efficiency-03.jpg

Intel-Meteor-Lake-Arrow-Lake-Lunar-Lake_-Hot-Chips-34_35.png

images-5.png

Black_Stride

Anyone mind posting a quick breakdown of intels CPU naming scheme and how one is better than the other within the same generation?

I know i7>i5>i3 but when that shit starts with 14500 or 11200 or infinity and beyond it starts to throw me off....back in the day i feel like it was jus Celeron and Pentium (1, 2, 3, etc...) then maybe the Duos.

From weakest to strongest (i5Ks can be better at gaming than i7s depending on core utilization and binning)
This is the current line up:

Celeron - Dual core no hyperthreading
Pentium - Dual core with hyperthreading
i3 - Quad core
i5 - Hexa core can come with smaller efficiency cores for background tasks or in games like CyberPunk they actually do work.
i5K - Hexa core with e cores and overclockable, binned better than none-K.
i7 - Octa core with e cores
i7K - Overclockable
i9 - more e cores than i7
i9K - Best binned CPUs

The first 2 digits indicate the generation, the numbers after that indicate where in the stack the chip falls, basically how much faster the chip will go.
10100 - 10th gen 100 class
12400 - 12th gen 400 class
13500 - 13th gen 500 class
14600 - 14th gen 600 class

A K means the chip is binned better and can be overclocked for little to no benefit.

But after RaptorLake-R
They are dropping the i anything naming scheme and resetting the numbers anyway, so I wouldnt worry about it unless you are buying this year.

There's a reason why PS3 games aren't BC and why Xbox and Xbox 360 games were difficult to emulate. ThePlayStationn had the difficult CELL processor which made it difficult to accomplish emulation to the point they never made it an option. The Xbox had an nVidia/Intel setup which eventually got support from some games, but the nVidia GPU made it difficult for the AMD GPU to emulate considering that both GPU's were custom applications. Xbox 360 games had issues because of the Power PC Triple Core processor as well as a unified shader pipeline that featured triple buffering. Luckily Microsoft was trying to win people over during the Xbox One era which really pushed them to create great emulators. Xbox One to Xbox Series wasn't difficult at all as they stuck with AMD for the CPU and GPU for both generations and were able to seamlessly blend the games from both generations with enhancements. Sony also went with AMD for both CPU and GPU on the PS4 and PS5 which allowed for similar results.

If they switch to Intel, this could greatly impact BC due to the different API's that Intel and AMD have. Sure, they are both x86, but these are consoles with custom silicon and not just some off the shelf components. Not to mention AMD's solution is an APU which combines the CPU and GPU. If Microsoft or Sony switch then you are looking at a complete rework of BC that they will have to support for years to come which is an expense that's unnecessary.

Last edited:
Intels new tile based scalable architectures mean they can effectively make MeteorLake for AIOs, and ArrowLake for "desktop" desktops without it costing them too much to develop both in tandem.
They could and probably will actually release LGA1851 versions of MeteorLake.

Compared to AMD it'll be hugely expensive to manufacture. Any wafers that AMD need Ryzen 9 chips from can also be used for R7, R5 all the way down to Ryzen 3 if they don't make the mark.

Whereas here the yields are worse and then they can only be used for AIO systems.

Black_Stride

Compared to AMD it'll be hugely expensive to manufacture. Any wafers that AMD need Ryzen 9 chips from can also be used for R7, R5 all the way down to Ryzen 3 if they don't make the mark.

Whereas here the yields are worse and then they can only be used for AIO systems.
MTL is going from Core to i5....ARL+ will be all the way to i9-like.
Its still a savings for Intel because just like with Ryzen, the IO tile doesnt need to change, the SOC tile doesnt need to change.
They only need to change the GPU tile(if needed) and CPU tile for different SKUs and even generations.
The SOC and IO tile are even being manufactured by external sources, only CPU tiles are using Intel nodes.

MTL and ARL could be manufactured at the same time with only the CPU tile being changed between them.
LNL is in theory using their new GPU architecture so when its time to launch that, they change the CPU tile and GPU tile.

They can even sell both at the same time.
People should know the Core Ultra 200 is better than the Core Ultra 100, so depending on your budget and needs youll buy as needed.

tusharngf

I think i am good with my 12400F for now. I will wait for right time to jump the wagon.

Black_Stride

I think i am good with my 12400F for now. I will wait for right time to jump the wagon.

Hahaha Im on a 12400 right now, it was meant to be a stop gap CPU till I got a 13600K or 13700.....but the little engine that could has been trucking along nicely.
Looking to upgrade to the 13600K or 14500.....the 14500 is likely gonna be cheaper than a 13600K and boost to 5.0GHz out the box, I have a hard time believing games will come out that will bring it to its knees anytime soon.

That should should hold me out till 2026 for NovaLake.....I can hopefully skip LGA-1851 entirely.

Black_Stride

What would be a good but not very expensive DDR5 motherboard for a 14900K?

Z790 Pro-A....its basically a Z690 Tomahawk with a price cut and new Bios.
msi-pro-z790-a-wifi-hero-stable.png

For my money get a Z690 Pro-A, update the Bios with a USB stick (This is the motherboard Digital Foundry use)
Currently on sale for 130 dollars on Amazon US.
board03.png

If the sale isnt available in your region then the B760 Tomahawk is a good deal base price.
mag_b760_tomahawk_wifi-block01.png

Nvzman

Waiting for 8800x3d
imo the x3D chips have largely been a gimmick, they kind of absolutely suck on the higher end (7900 and 7950 x3d variants specifically) and only SOME games really benefit from them. Some games also don't entirely paint an accurate picture in benchmarks, for example a lot of Factorio benchmarks tend to use newly created/relatively empty worlds, apparently once the worlds get extremely complex the x3D chips start to completely fall apart in performance and the higher clock speed AMD and Intel chips start outperforming them.

Imo the only true benefit of the x3D chips is their amazing efficiency. Their actual place as a "performance king" is highly dependent on what games you play, there are still a lot of titles out there where a 13th gen i5/i7/i9 will decimate any x3D chip easily. People said the 5800x3D would be beastly for quite a while because of how well it benchmarked when it released and now its starting to really struggle when paired with higher end GPUs, and that was like two years ago.

Top Bottom