• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Insomniac Leaks] Franchise Comparison & Total Player Base Decomposition — Full Presentation

uFhsz7C.jpeg

Pm1UFoD.jpeg

yDw59rT.jpeg

zFuFVFV.jpeg

3-4 of the slides in the OP, specifically the ones about 'most remastered editions heavily over-indexing on early adopters', were shared in some of the previous leaks that have been circulating on the internet. Now we have the full presentation with added context.

The source is this post from /r/GamingLeaksAndRumours.

So as of Feb 2023 the 3 SKUs of TLOU 1 together had reached 30 million sales.

That's new info.

Would put franchise sales at a minimum of 40 million. But we are missing years of data for part 2.

Franchise sales probably approaching 45 mil.

Last edited:
All 3 versions of TLOU have sold a combined number of more than 30m. units

With part II and the remastered, the franchise will look at selling 50m. units in a couple of months.

Game 5 was my favorite game that year.

If you are joking (or not...) from the Reddit post "Game 4" is FF7 and "Game 5" is Devil May Cry 5.

The PS4 version of FF7 (Not Remake) was released on December 5, 2015. Dunno if this implies that Square sold 1.3M copies of the PS4 version specifically.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

That's new info.

Would put franchise sales at a minimum of 40 million. But we are missing years of data for part 2.

All 3 versions of TLOU have sold a combined number of more than 30m. units

With part II and the remastered, the franchise will look at selling 50m. units in a couple of months.

I'm confused. It was reported back Feb 2023 that The Last of Us franchise sold 37 million copies and this chart says PS4 and PS5 only.

nial

Gold Member
If you are joking (or not...) from the Reddit post "Game 4" is FF7 and "Game 5" is Devil May Cry 5.

The PS4 version of FF7 (Not Remake) was released on December 5, 2015. Dunno if this implies that Square sold 1.3M copies of the PS4 version specifically.
Yep, the timeline for OG PS4 port, Remake PS4 release and Remake PS5 port all match up. Same with DMC5.

I'm confused. It was reported back Feb 2023 that The Last of Us franchise sold 37 million copies and this chart says PS4 and PS5 only.

This report is only referencing the first game of TLOU. So 30 million for just Part 1 PS3 PS4 and PS5.

This presentation isn't including Part 2 numbers at all.

Last edited:

EDMIX

This report is only referencing the first game of TLOU. So 30 million for just Part 1 PS3 PS4 and PS5.

This presentation isn't including Part 2 numbers at all.

It states total series sales....

Cause I'm pretty sure no Uncharted sold 20 million so...

It states total series sales....

Cause I'm pretty sure no Uncharted sold 20 million so...
It's just worded poorly. The info is all there.
When they say series its not actually referencing the entire franchise.

Uncharted is Referencing Uncharted 4, Lost Legacy and legacy of Thieves collection.

TLOU is referencing the 3 SKUS of the first games only.

Well apparently they leaked everything. I don't understand how something like this even happens.
I felt the same way. I was told someone at Insomniac clicked on ransomware.

When is someone at Valve going to click on ransomware so we can find out what’s going on with Half-Life (I’m joking)..

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
I felt the same way. I was told someone at Insomniac clicked on ransomware.

When is someone at Valve going to click on ransomware so we can find out what’s going on with Half-Life (I’m joking)..
Valve PowerPoint is 2 slides

Slide 1
"We could make Half-Life 3, spending a lot of time and money to artfully conclude our story..."

Slide 2
"Or we could keep rolling in Steam money and gets more hookers and blow!"

Interfectum

Hmm...looks like Miles sold way less than the first Spider-man. I'm still a huge fan of the first one.
And they want to make Miles their main Spider-Man going forward. Will be interesting to see Spider-Man 3 sales especially after they basically destroyed Peter Parker as a character.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

That's new info.

Which is funny because they announced the whole series has sold 37 million in January 2023 and this data is from a month later.
Can't wait for the mental gymnastics to explain this one

Last edited:

aclar00

Which is funny because they announced the whole series has sold 37 million in January 2023 and this data is from a month later.

Sounds like its in the 40-45 million range as someone stated (no higher the 42 i hink personally). Part 1 had just relased in September 2022 i think for PS5 and hadnt released on PC yet and then we factor another year has passed since then...i think it can be up there.

tommib

Insane numbers for the Last of Us, I'll be honest. A super dark, unrelentlessly depressing universe with grim violence and a mature tone on top + characters that aren't easy to love and miserable/ambiguous endings. Which I love, don't get me wrong.

I was never a fan of Part I until I played Part II and the whole desperation in that game made me love both games. Love uncompromising grim shit like that.

Hudo

You can tell that "Data Strategy & Operations" is important because they got a designer to design a logo for them.

Well that says December 2022 not January 2023 so that's a starting point to explain further sales. Part 1 on PS5 was still new.

Show started in Jan etc etc.

It does seem a big jump as these numbers put franchise sales at a minimum of like 42 million in Feb 2022 but we have no reason to doubt an internal document.

Last edited:
Reactions: TGO

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Someone explain how these last of us numbers prove that Last of us 2 was a flop.
They don't, there's no data that will show it's a flop.
It did 10mil, it's a success.
This just tells us that TLOUR continues to have long legs.
We know TLOU2 had done 10mill as of June 22
The series had reached 37mil in December 22 and as of February 23 TLOU/TLOUR accounted for 30mill of that number which maybe a little higher as you have to had an extra month of possible sales
But I doubt that number would jump that much in 1 month unless it was the Remake.
And the games would have to be selling like a new release to be pulling in numbers to make much of difference from then to now.
Even with the TV Show, we know it had a sales boost especially for TLOUR despite the Remake being available, but it wasn't launch numbers
I reckon it's at about 45 million with TLOU/TLOUR/TLOUPT1 taking up about 34mill of those sales.

Last edited:
Top Bottom