• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inside Cyberpunk 2077's Disastrous Rollout - Bloomberg Quicktake

GHG

Cyberpunk 2077 was one of the most anticipated video games of all time. Its developer, Poland's CD Projekt Red, was beloved by fans and critics alike. But inside the company, employees depicted a process marred by poor planning, technical shortcomings and unrealistic timelines. When it came to building one of the most complex games ever conceived, a focus on marketing at the expense of development spelled disaster.

Just came across this and haven't seen it posted. Watching now and it seems to be a well put together analysis on the story so far.

Last edited:
Oh good nobody has talked about this Cyberpunk thing yet. Finally someone will exploit this shitshow for clicks and clout.

Anyone want to ask Jason why he was complicit in hiding last gen performance from the public?

Where was his journalistic integrity while he was hyping a product that he knew was in a terrible state?

That is my only question involving Jason and Cyberpunk. How come none of these “investigative journalists” looked into how the game was performing on PS4/XboxOne?

Why exactly did this take everyone by surprise? Or did they know and just fool the public because they still want contacts?

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
Patch 1.2 notes for Schneiderprank2077 are so long, whole CDPR could wipe their asses with.

"We gots hacked!" ... months later, no update who? was the actual perpetuator. F*ck CDPR. 8 years in the making = just 1x bike in the whole game.

pr0cs

Anyone want to ask Jason why he was complicit in hiding last gen performance from the public
Because all he focuses on is bullshit woke crap, how developers should work how they're effectively slaves and how the big bad pubs are the root of all evil.
He's a fucking hack and I refuse to see /read anything he writes

Rikkori

Let me save you some time: if you've read the article then there's nothing new here. This is a fluff piece for people to veg-watch.

Flabagast

Question for those who did follow the saga. How did they go from Witcher 3 to Cyberpunk. Where did it all go wrong
The game is better and more impressive than witcher 3 in a lot of departments (without saying that it is necesseraly a better game overall), it is just that they released it waay too early and did not scale it back enough for it to run nicely on last gen.

The game is better and more impressive than witcher 3 in a lot of departments (without saying that it is necesseraly a better game overall), it is just that they released it waay too early and did not scale it back enough for it to run nicely on last gen.
Ye I agree. Animation is insane for example, the plot is great. So why did it go so wrong? Why release it so unfinished?

Bragr

Banned
Ye I agree. Animation is insane for example, the plot is great. So why did it go so wrong? Why release it so unfinished?
We don't know much about the real reasons obviously, most of what everyone says is honestly likely rubbish. But we can draw a lot of assumptions. Like they wanted to uphold their commitment to the pre-order crowd and feared the backlash of delaying, they wanted to be a part of the next-gen console launches, they feared blowback from the shareholders if it were delayed, they were so greedy they didn't care if it hurt them as long as they covered the development cost. Maybe they have plans to build new projects and didn't want to keep Cyberpunk lingering and holding back the studio for too long, maybe they had commitments to third parties collaborators about launching in 2020.

If I had to guess, a lot of it comes down to the console port delays. Apparently, the game was done on PC in early 2020 and it was delayed because they couldn't get it to run on consoles. I assume the higher-ups, after the delay and struggle with the consoles, assumed a position that it will take too long to fix the console versions and that they are committed to release and take the blowback from the console versions no matter what. They just didn't foresee how big the blowback was going to be.

Last edited:
Makes
We don't know much about the real reasons obviously, most of what everyone says is honestly likely rubbish. But we can draw a lot of assumptions. Like they wanted to uphold their commitment to the pre-order crowd and feared the backlash of delaying, they wanted to be a part of the next-gen console launches, they feared blowback from the shareholders if it were delayed, they were so greedy they didn't care if it hurt them as long as they covered the development cost. Maybe they have plans to build new projects and didn't want to keep Cyberpunk lingering and holding back the studio for too long, maybe they had commitments to third parties collaborators about launching in 2020.

If I had to guess, a lot of it comes down to the console port delays. Apparently, the game was done on PC in early 2020 and it was delayed because they couldn't get it to run on consoles. I assume the higher-ups, after the delay and struggle with the consoles, assumed a position that it will take too long to fix the console versions and that they are committed to release and take the blowback from the console versions no matter what. They just didn't foresee how big the blowback was going to be.
Makes sense. Should have gone with PC only release.

Flabagast

Really good post and one of the wisest takes I’ve seen on the matter, especially the part about the fact that deep down, they maybe realized somewhere in 2020 that the game couldn’t run good on consoles without altering its scope or working on a heavily modified engine and an altogether special version of the game. The console version is actually a severe downport of the PC one, whereas for example for The Witcher 2 360 back in 2012 they retooled the game engine entirely, changing assets & ligthning, adding loading screens and all etc.

However, despite what we might say, in 4 months there have been significant improvements to the console version already, so a few more months delay to bring it to a more acceptable state (even if it was maybe impossible to get to a « good » version to current gamers standard) would have helped.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Let me save you some time: if you've read the article then there's nothing new here. This is a fluff piece for people to veg-watch.
I ended up watching it (listening to it mostly) while driving home from the gym today. Very much a fluff piece and not worth watching whatsoever. First 7 minutes is them talking about the history of the company, the rest is shit you already know if you’ve read a single article in the last 6 months regarding the game.

MrSarcastic

Banned
As I always say: Making games is hard, making AAA is even harder, making AAA GOTY contender is just a miracle. Sacrifices had to be made, just like everything in life.

SJRB

Gold Member
This video is hard to watch. First 10 minutes is literally the origin story of CDPR. You know, what basically every Youtuber already covered four months ago when the launch was still hot news.

Who is this for, exactly? People interested in this game or gaming in general have seen, heard or read this story a thousand times over. This video feels like an after thought.

Eric187

Banned
CDPR messed up big time. I was expecting the second coming of GTA in terms of immersive world. Instead I got a 💩. But the turd gets a little shinier with each update!

Cravis

You could've warned us it was Schreier.
But you did.

I Appreciate You Dj Khaled GIF

NahaNago

Question for those who did follow the saga. How did they go from Witcher 3 to Cyberpunk. Where did it all go wrong
Everywhere. They tried to pull a gta5 and release this game on last gen and current gen. They should have released this game a year and a half after current gen came out just like they did with witcher 3. A lot of the issues would have been fixed if they had more time, then again the game would still be not what they promised but at least it wouldn't have released in such a horrific state. Pretty much they just got greedy.

Top Bottom