• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After 2.5 years, Cyberpunk 2077’s Steam reviews are now ‘very positive’. CDPR thanks fans.

will check again sometime, last time i tried it was technically sound, mecahnically shallow as it gets. combat is awful too.
its problems always were much deeper than just technical. they tried to sell a basic action adventure game as next big rpg
still might be fun graphics showcase to b line through main missions. hopefully story gets good at some point too.
...and miss the wonderful sidequests to affirm your bias.

Judging by the trailers and developer interviews, it's going to be even more linear and "cinematic" than the base game 🤮.

They are not interested in providing the player with the sandbox to tell their own story. They think their story is so amazing that it's worth sacrificing all possible RPG elements.
Their tiny stories ARE better than bethesda. So yeah, beth better step up their writing or im slapping a 7/10 on starfield for not having an engaging well crafted tale.
Oh wait, beth games never really focus on that huh. Weird that I would put that expectation on them.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Their tiny stories ARE better than bethesda. So yeah, beth better step up their writing or im slapping a 7/10 on starfield for not having an engaging well crafted tale.
Oh wait, beth games never really focus on that huh. Weird that I would put that expectation on them.

You want me to repeat myself? There you go:

The way Cyberpunk was advertised made me feel it will be more sandbox and yes more like Bethesda games. With dynamic crowd / NPC systems and ability to craft your own character and story.

But that was not the case. I still loved the game. I have 300+ hours of gameplay. I've bought it 3 times, including collector's edition. I even own limited edition Xbox One X and lots of merch. Yeah, I like it. I just wish it offered more role playing options and less Hollywood.

M.W.

Game doesn't get enough credit for how seamless everything is. No loading once you're into the game, never cuts to black - everything just flows. There's only a few games like this. Fucking FFXVI fades to black every 5 seconds lol

Last edited:
For those of you above suggesting delaying a year or dropping last gen, they couldnt. Game had been in production for ages and the next gen user base would be tiny regardless if it was a Dec 2020 or Dec 2021 launch. They had to churn out and make money.
It had been in production for ages on PC, they thought they could grunt work everything shortly for consoles despite the fact they made a game with SSD's in mind.

The rest is history, but there are a couple of things they could have done way better. There's no reason for a good port of the game not being possible on last gen, it's just that it wasn't that easy either.

I would prefer for them to have made it than the result we got, but the next thing to do would be to can the version or delay the game. IMO one extra year in the oven wouldn't have hurt the game, witcher 3 was/is evergreen and anything they released after it would sell like gangbusters anyway. The year it released didn't really matter, the differences being how soon they get money out of it.

Last edited:

Tedditalk

I do not understand the argument that cyberpunk is a shallow rpg, if witcher 3 is considered to be a deep one. Compared to that game, this one has:
far more customization in appearance
far more customization in build
meaningful build choices that creates drastically different gameplay styles
Build choices that impact dialogue, and gameplay routes
A more in-depth leveling system

The only place where it is weaker, is in the amount of narrative choices and the total amount of narrative interactions. If anything, it is a deeper rpg then witcher3.

RickMasters

It’s in my backlog. Maybe it’s ready for me to play it now. But then again…… shit…..my backlog is insane. But I have to move this one up the list!

One of the shittiest games I ever played. Next to FFXV as far as expectations go and ultimately disappointing at release. Especially for the amount of time both those games took.
I do not understand the argument that cyberpunk is a shallow rpg, if witcher 3 is considered to be a deep one. Compared to that game, this one has:
far more customization in appearance
far more customization in build
meaningful build choices that creates drastically different gameplay styles
Build choices that impact dialogue, and gameplay routes
A more in-depth leveling system

The only place where it is weaker, is in the amount of narrative choices and the total amount of narrative interactions. If anything, it is a deeper rpg then witcher3.
I'm sorry, were the Witcher games based off a pen and paper RPG? Or based off books? This argument doesn't hold up.
CDPR straight up LIED about what Cyberpunk 2077 was going to be.

Last edited:
will check again sometime, last time i tried it was technically sound, mecahnically shallow as it gets. combat is awful too.
its problems always were much deeper than just technical. they tried to sell a basic action adventure game as next big rpg
still might be fun graphics showcase to b line through main missions. hopefully story gets good at some point too.
Nailed it.

Mr.ODST

Replayed and its much more enjoyable and deep down its a really fun game, glad they didn't give up on it because the DLC looks and sounds amazing

geary

The way Cyberpunk was advertised made me feel it will be more sandbox and yes more like Bethesda games

I never understood this of "how i perceived the game based on marketing". I think CP2077 was perceived by millions of players differently and maybe 5% nailed their perception with the actual gameplay of the game.

I also perceived a lot of games differently, until i played them....

Fennec

Compared to Witcher 3, it's a far more superior game. Better story and more engaging in every way.1

To each is own I guess. Played to both at launch, finished both after more than 100 hours put into each. I’m a sucker for cyberpunk / dystopian settings but I’ve got to say, The Witcher 3 is a better game. Better soundtrack, better characters, more diverse map, with a lot more unique places and NPC’s.

Don’t get me wrong, 2077 is a great game, far from the turd most gaming outlets told us it was. But The Witcher 3 is CDProjekt magnum opus.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
To each is own I guess. Played to both at launch, finished both after more than 100 hours put into each. I’m a sucker for cyberpunk / dystopian settings but I’ve got to say, The Witcher 3 is a better game. Better soundtrack, better characters, more diverse map, with a lot more unique places and NPC’s.

Don’t get me wrong, 2077 is a great game, far from the turd most gaming outlets told us it was. But The Witcher 3 is CDProjekt magnum opus.
I played CP2077 first and that's probably why I screwed up my Witcher 3 experience. Also the whole fantasy horseriding longhaired setting really feels like it's been misused for the past 20 years.

I like your profile pic tho' - Mega Drive rules :messenger_horns:

On consoles? Technically it was a fucking dumpster fire. PC ran mostly fine and looked good if you had like a RTX 2060 at the least.
Is that you speaking or digital foundry/You Tube.

I played both the base and One X versions before the move to the Series X and it was not a broken mess of a game, like something like Sonic 06.

Skifi28

As someone that bought the game day one and really disliked it, I've come around. It will never be the Witcher 3 experience for me and there's still stuff I don't like about it, but it's become a pretty solid experience.

I played the game near launch in series X and the performance was ok , really liked the game too.
If it wasnt launched on last gen consoles with the performance the way it did it would've really had a great reception

Tedditalk

I'm sorry, were the Witcher games based off a pen and paper RPG? Or based off books? This argument doesn't hold up.
CDPR straight up LIED about what Cyberpunk 2077 was going to be.

The Witcher games actually was based off books lol

but that besides the point. The lies about the product does not have any bearing on what the product is, only how it is perceived. Yes cdpr lied, we are all aware. The game still does some things flat out better than cdpr previous title in many key areas.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Platted both the PS4 and PS5 versions. First time as a street kid, second time as a nomad. Already started up a third run as a female corpo. Can't wait for the DLC.

As someone that loves the Blade Runners and stuff like Cyber City 808 this is an example of a Chuck Berry Wet Dream Game.

The Syndicate reboot by Starbreeze is right on its ass though.

Top Bottom