• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

inFAMOUS studio Sucker Punch looks back at 20 years of making awesome games

F4r0_Atak

And not because they just want to celebrate their anniversary?

2 birds with one stone. XD

its not a movie anymore, but rather a TV series

Well technically... the movie was not officially canned. The TV series is just an additional thing to the already upcoming movie. More updates/infos on the movie should be shared soon*. :p

PS5 launch game!

Maybe... but don't expect it to be a full PS5 game. It could be cross-gen IF they delay the game, but knowing Sucker Punch and how they usually work, I suspect there will be about 6 to 8 months between the first reveal/announcement and the release of the game (same thing happened with InFamous Second Son), with a huge E3 gameplay blowout before its release. So... bookmark this post: Fall 2018 at the earliest for SP' new game. I can feel it in my bones. :D

I hope they make infamous 3 with the return of Cole.
With the infamous 2 evil ending being canon.

Wonder what happened
that they've almost gone the whole gen without another release.

Rumors of them working on a new IP could be the reason. If Guerilla is any indication, maybe Sony are trying to give the time their main studios need to work on these new properties so they don't end with games like The Order 1886 or Knack. The Last Guardian took way longer than usual since it skipped the whole PS3 gen before becoming a PS4 game.

I wish they'd return to Sly.

As much as I want a new Sly Cooper game, I would prefer to see more of a collaboration between Sucker Punch and Sanzaaru, with SP overseeing the project and Sanzaaru doing most of the work on the sequel. As much as I liked Thieves in Time, there was a bunch of visual design decisions that I feel don't quite match the series' usual Art Direction and tone. Furthermore, gameplay-wise there is still a lot of room for improvement, but the game is otherwise a worthy entry for this decade-old franchise. Not a lot of new things were implemented, but the game sure was more fun to play than Sly 3, whose insistence on mini-games was becoming tiresome. (I just remembered that Sly 3 came out almost a year Sly 2... so maybe it was because of that... :p)

I'm assuming that they're finally going to announce their current project at PSX this year, and this is the start of them getting their name back in the tips of tongues. Regardless of the smaller scope of the game, Second Son sure was a big technical marvel and still is.

Yeah, definitely feels like the right timing for a lead up to PSX or E3 to start getting their name back out there.

Yeah, amazing how good it still looks.

Bishop89

Isn't this like the first we've heard from them since the fetch expansion release?

I sense an announcement later this year 😀😀😀

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
InFamous 2 was their best game but I enjoyed all the Sly Cooper and Infamous games (even the expansions: Festival of Blood and Last Light)

When that Spiderman game leaked I kept thinking Sucker Punch was working on it instead of Insomniac.

Cant wait to see what they're cooking up next. Drumming up interest for a PSX reveal?

F4r0_Atak

Okay... okay... okay... I know it is an impossible scenario, but hear me out...

what if Bruce Straley left Naught Dog and decided to join Sucker Punch... and that Sony were to announce it at PSX with the first reveal of SP' new game.

With all the current Glassdoors reviews regarding SuckerPunch about them lacking direction and vision, wouldn't Straley be the perfect candidate for the job? To help stir up the ideas and help them recover. I wonder if Straley miss the old days of "smaller" teams, wouldn't SP' current studio culture be perfect to alleviate this? :D

Blackage

With the infamous 2 evil ending being canon.

Wonder what happened that they’ve almost gone the whole gen without another release.

Second Son established the Infamous 2's Good Ending is canon, unless they decide to go with a multiverse theory. :eek:

I think Second Son's Evil ending sets up Deslin to be a pretty damn good/powerful/scary villain, his power is completely overpowered in the grand scheme of things(He intended to shake hands and copy the powers of every meta human he sets free), and you basically end up like Magneto at the end of the game if you're Evil.

scoobs

Sucker Punch really should be focusing on a new IP. We've got 4 Infamous games, that is plenty. Its time for something fresh.

bunkitz

Great read! Cool history and fun bits about how their games came to be. Now please reveal your project as PSX 2017! I'd hope for more inFAMOUS because I love the franchise, especially inFAMOUS 2, but a new IP seems much more likely. It would be really interesting and potentially exciting too.

SugarDave

Not familiar with their games but I'm interested in trying Sly Cooper and Infamous. How is the Vita version of the Sly collection and Thieves in Time? Also, is it recommended that I play the first Infamous before 2, since 2 seems to be the one that gets the most praise?

Not familiar with their games but I'm interested in trying Sly Cooper and Infamous. How is the Vita version of the Sly collection and Thieves in Time? Also, is it recommended that I play the first Infamous before 2, since 2 seems to be the one that gets the most praise?

It's recommended that you play any game in order of release. So yes, 1 first.

SugarDave

It's recommended that you play any game in order of release. So yes, 1 first.

I guess I was asking if 1 good? I don't have as much time to play games now so if it's merely alright, I'm okay with skipping it if the only argument in its favour is play it for the sake of release order.

black070

I guess I was asking if 1 good? I don't have as much time to play games now so if it's merely alright, I'm okay with skipping it if the only argument in its favour is play it for the sake of release order.

Sly 1 is the best in the series imo, and inFamous 1 is damn good to this day.

Shinjuku108

Neo Member
Maybe someone can clarify - but how did Sucker Punch survive this long i.e. nearly four years since their last release (DLC for Second Son)?

I can't think of another company in this industry that can go dark for so long without anything launched (remasters, DLC, side projects whatever).

Maybe someone can clarify - but how did Sucker Punch survive this long i.e. nearly four years since their last release (DLC for Second Son)?

I can't think of another company in this industry that can go dark for so long without anything launched (remasters, DLC, side projects whatever).

Second Son DLC is 2014. It's only been 3 years.

KORNdoggy

PSX announcement incoming?

seems likely. they're the last big studio under sony's belt that we don't know what they're working on. and if they intend to release something before the generations end, they need to announce it some time soon i'd imagine.

Rymuth

Need another Infamous that's more like Infamous 2 than Second Son.
Yes, please. I thought they were turning into another Naughty Dog with their Infamous 2's storytelling (that silent sit down with Zeke, watching TV is so powerful)

Unfortunately they gave us a really shit protagonist with Delsin

KORNdoggy

Yes, please. I thought they were turning into another Naughty Dog with their Infamous 2's storytelling (that silent sit down with Zeke, watching TV is so powerful)

Unfortunately they gave us a really shit protagonist with Delsin

hold on, you like infamous 2's cole, but hate delsin? infamous 2's cole is like, universally hated. change of voice actor, change of personality, looked absolutely punchable. i hated what they did with infamous 2, it looked ridiculously nice for the time and that was about it.

thankfully second son redeemed the series for me.

black070

hold on, you like infamous 2's cole, but hate delsin? infamous 2's cole is like, universally hated. change of voice actor, change of personality, looked absolutely punchable. i hated what they did with infamous 2, it looked ridiculously nice for the time and that was about it.

thankfully second son redeemed the series for me.

Exact opposite for me, inFamous 2 was the absolute best possible sequel I could have wanted - Second Son is a solid game, but still the worst in the series and I could care less about Delsin. Dream scenario would be an inFamous sequel continuing on from Cole's hero ending, making him the protagonist again and Delsin's evil ending, making him the villain, just to redeem the story because going from such an epic plot from the first two to what we got in Second Son was beyond disappointing. This would be the best possible way to retroactively make it worth it.

Undrey

Exact opposite for me, inFamous 2 was the absolute best possible sequel I could have wanted - Second Son is a solid game, but still the worst in the series and I could care less about Delsin. Dream scenario would be an inFamous sequel continuing on from Cole's hero ending, making him the protagonist again and Delsin's evil ending, making him the villain, just to redeem the story because going from such an epic plot from the first two to what we got in Second Son was beyond disappointing. This would be the best possible way to retroactively make it worth it.

IMO the hero ending from iF2 should be left where it was. Any attempt to do anything with it would ruin it. The evil ending however has a lot of untapped potential.

Of course, ideally SPP is developing a new game and maybe somewhere down the line another dev could pick up inFAMOUS.

I adored the InFamous games, but yeah Cole was much better than Delsin for me, moreso because I LOVED the electricity powers in the first two InFamous games, much more than I did the ones in SS.

Memento

They are working on a new IP. And it is supposedly open world and has great visuals. Which means it is a big AAA project. Probably their biggest yet, just like Horizon was for Guerrila (and that game took them 4 years active development + 2 years of pre production, 2011-2017).

THE:MILKMAN

Maybe... but don't expect it to be a full PS5 game. It could be cross-gen IF they delay the game, but knowing Sucker Punch and how they usually work, I suspect there will be about 6 to 8 months between the first reveal/announcement and the release of the game (same thing happened with InFamous Second Son), with a huge E3 gameplay blowout before its release. So... bookmark this post: Fall 2018 at the earliest for SP' new game. I can feel it in my bones. :D

Of course I am joking really but actually thinking about it, who do Sony/WWS have that could have a game ready for PS5 launch? All others have only recently launched a big game or are due to in 2018. A second team in one of the bigger studios?

Memento

Of course I am joking really but actually thinking about it, who do Sony/WWS have that could have a game ready for PS5 launch? All others have only recently launched a big game or are due to in 2018. A second team in one of the bigger studios?

Guerrila Games with Horizon 2

Death Stranding and The Last of Us 2 will probably be cross gen too

Horizon 2 could be out for PS5 by Q1 2021 or so.

The PS5 will probably have a lot of 4K remasters as their main first party games in the first two years.

They make amazing games, and the HDR update to Second Son is stunning!

Also...

ku-xlarge.gif

No wonder second son was so blinding when I loaded it up last night. Still love that game, and honestly, I still love Delsin as a character in the game.

Guerrila Games with Horizon 2

Death Stranding and The Last of Us 2 will probably be cross gen too

Like I said, ND and Guerrilla only just released games. I know they are now much bigger studios by numbers but I understand the vast majority of members work on the one current project until done.

I can't see PS5/cross gen game starting production this year and be ready for PS5 launch. Especially given the delays that releases this gen have had.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Horizon 2 could be out for PS5 by Q1 2021 or so

I don't think PS5 is planned to be that late.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
The PS5 will probably have a lot of 4K remasters as their main first party games in the first two years.

True, but a big (PS5 only) launch game is essential surely?

Memento

Horizon 2 could be out for PS5 by Q1 2021 or so.

[BThe PS5 will probably have a lot of 4K remasters as their main first party games in the first two years.[/B]

It is going to be backward compatible with PS4 so I doubt it

Unless you are talking cross gen games, not really remastered games

Memento

Like I said, ND and Guerrilla only just released games. I know they are now much bigger studios by numbers but I understand the vast majority of members work on the one current project until done.

I can't see PS5/cross gen game starting production this year and be ready for PS5 launch. Especially given the delays that releases this gen have had.

If Horizon 2 starts development in 2018 (it has probably already begun), it will have a full 3 years development cycle by Holiday 2020 (possible PS5 launch).

The Last of Us Part II will probably launch in Holiday/Fall 2019. Which means they will probably start working on a port for PS5 launch in 2020 as soon as they release it on PS4.

Death Stranding will probably launch in 2020 too, so that one makes perfect sense for a Cross Gen title.

I remember giving them so much shit when they tried to make Cole into Tony Hawk for Infamous 2.

It was in fun but I stand by it. I2 turned out great IMO. I really like 1&2 but something in SS never clicked with me the same way. It was a solid launch title though.

I really liked the creator content in I2, even though it was really oddly built and a bit Janky.

I put together some fun concept levels and ideas with their logic gates. You could build strangely complicated event sequences and choices but FFS was it a mess to piece together.

Some guy reviewed one of my levels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiV7kJBjlQQ

If Horizon 2 starts development in 2018 (it has probably already begun), it will have a full 3 years development cycle by Holiday 2020 (possible PS5 launch).

The Last of Us Part II will probably launch in Holiday/Fall 2019. Which means they will probably start working on a port for PS5 launch in 2020 as soon as they release it on PS4.

Death Stranding will probably launch in 2020 too, so that one makes perfect sense for a Cross Gen title.

We'll see how it all pans out. I'm really worried about the ever extending dev cycles/delays etc that have for me been worse than issues PS3 had last gen.

Undrey

If Second Son and First Light are the only PS4 games SPP releases then I'm thoroughly disappointed by their output this generation.

Mar Nosso

Banned

2 more years for TLoU2???

Say it ain't so!

Meaty

I love every game they released (except for the n64 one I havent played). What boggles my mind is how every single infamous game has been made free, either through ps+ or the psn outage.

It makes me think that sony has been giving the gamesa chance to get popular, and it hasnt been working that much. I wonder if we will get another title in this franchise.

Top Bottom