• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In 2023, Why can't I do normal online functions on the switch?

Nintendo has the nerve to charge for their online service that lacks basic features going back to the mid 90s.

Just some examples :

- I can't pick someone I play with and send a friend request
- I can't send a message to any of my friends
-Still no built in voice chat options
-The online marketplace itself feels sluggish and dated.

Is Nintendo really this out of touch with reality?
Because they just don't care and their products sell amazingly well regardless, so why bother?

Unfortunately. To enthusiasts, there is much wasted potential with them. They could very easily improve their products massively but nope.

Tams

Nintendo has the nerve to charge for their online service that lacks basic features going back to the mid 90s.

Just some examples :

- I can't pick someone I play with and send a friend request
- I can't send a message to any of my friends
-Still no built in voice chat options
-The online marketplace itself feels sluggish and dated.

Is Nintendo really this out of touch with reality?

1. A lot of their users are underage, so making this easier is not a priority for them. Perhaps they don't even want to.
2. Again, many underage users and their family friendly image.
3. This was and still is silly. Though I think its a game by game basis. A think Fornite supports it, but really I don't care to talk to 10 year-olds online. At least the Japanese ones don't scream obscenities about your mum though.
4. It seems... fine to me? A bit simple, but I've not found it to be sluggish. Then again, I mainly by game cards.

Honestly, I think you just aren't the main audience for the Switch. I certainly don't care about most of your complaints.

I will say that after so long that its a shame that the Switch OS still doesn't have the charm and functionality that the DS family and Wii U had. That was fun. But clearly developing that didn't really pay off for Nintendo much, and at the end of the day it is a games machine.

Bojji

Is Nintendo the bad guy or something? First you promote piracy, then you backpeddle to buy used games. If you don't think Nintendo should be paid for their product then just don't play their games at all.

Buying any used games on any system means not supporting publishers and console makers. In the case of Nintendo, any money that make won't return to gamers in a form of updated online system ot better console os - they will just release Switch 2 with backwards online system and still sell a ton of it.

Whatever you think about what i said earlier, you CAN play your own games on pc, it's an option. Of course Nintendo won't like it and it breaks many ToS etc.

KXVXII9X

My OLED switch wont even find my home wifi anymore, it worked fine then lost connection a few days ago and now only finds other random networks in the neighborhood but not mine. Tried everu troubleshooting step and nothing, wont even find my phones hotspot. Just out of warranty too.

Oh and the joycons now dont work unless they are attached, so it cant be used docked with wired connection.
That really sucks... When I got my OLED Switch a few months ago, it kept doing the same thing with my home WiFi. I panicked. It works alright now and not sure what I did really. I remember restarting my Switch a lot and resetting the router a couple of times. I think there is something off about the OLED's signal or we both had defective units. The Joycons not working unless attached is a new one. I'm guessing you unpaired and paired the Joycons again.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I don’t play mp games so it’s never something I think about but don’t they have a mobile app for all of that? 🤷‍♂️

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
If this was as fundamental as you say, switch would never become this successful. Maybe it's not Nintendo who's out if touch...

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
It's a trade-off, but I'm quite happy to see one of the big 3 console companies take a different approach when it comes to balancing online vs local & family friendly.

In any case, it's now the only console around where you can pick up physical games that are complete in the package, completely contained on the media, and can be immediately played on any switch even if you're in the middle of nowhere without an internet connection. I hope they never give that up.

Sleepwalker

That really sucks... When I got my OLED Switch a few months ago, it kept doing the same thing with my home WiFi. I panicked. It works alright now and not sure what I did really. I remember restarting my Switch a lot and resetting the router a couple of times. I think there is something off about the OLED's signal or we both had defective units. The Joycons not working unless attached is a new one. I'm guessing you unpaired and paired the Joycons again.
Ive tried everything sadly, including a factory reset. My og switch from 2017 is still going strong. I need to get around calling Nintendo to see if they can repair it.

The oled joycons also work on the og switch but the og switch joycons wont work on the oled wirelessly either :messenger_pensive:

Back in the day here in the usa we used to have a saying about Nintendo. It was called "Nintendon't" Genesis does what Nintendon't. Well today Playstation and Xbox does what Nintendon't. Nintendon't have a good online infrastructure.

Nintendo didn't like the idea of online features and user connectivity after they found out people were sending dick pics via 3DS chat. Since then they've never really bothered with online features.

Impotaku

The only times I have ever seen the eshop become unstable is when a high profile game is released and everyone hammers the shop at same time. Or if you are going through page after page of games by general browsing then by page 100 it starts getting laggy. However let’s not pretend that Sony’s store is any better since owning a PS4 I have always had problems connecting to the store it’s equally laggy when going through pages of games and constantly gets stuck at loading screens with the spinning PlayStation symbols to the point that you have to hit the home button to come out or it crashes after you have bought a game and you have to check your emails to see if you have been charged or not. Hell some days it’s so bad I have to use the website instead to buy games and then remotely tell my PS4 to start downloading. No idea if it’s improved since ps5 but as a user of 4 it’s pretty crap. But least on switch I haven’t had it act as bad as on my PS4.

As for other complaints yup it's a chore trying to contact your friends on switch. Some games have features built in for contacting friends but nothing on a system level. Thankfully I don’t really play multiplayer much but I can see how if you are it would be frustrating.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Consoles have made progression Sony and Microsoft are more aggressive with online obviously having played online console gaming since the ps2 yeah… switch just doesn’t stack up against the competition

1. A lot of their users are underage, so making this easier is not a priority for them. Perhaps they don't even want to.
2. Again, many underage users and their family friendly image.
3. This was and still is silly. Though I think its a game by game basis. A think Fornite supports it, but really I don't care to talk to 10 year-olds online. At least the Japanese ones don't scream obscenities about your mum though.
4. It seems... fine to me? A bit simple, but I've not found it to be sluggish. Then again, I mainly by game cards.

Honestly, I think you just aren't the main audience for the Switch. I certainly don't care about most of your complaints.

I will say that after so long that its a shame that the Switch OS still doesn't have the charm and functionality that the DS family and Wii U had. That was fun. But clearly developing that didn't really pay off for Nintendo much, and at the end of the day it is a games machine.
The switch is missing so much that the ds/3ds had and its not even funny. Wii and wii u had more functions.
Where is microphone, where is dedicated apps for streaming, browser, etc...
Friend codes are still ridiculous.
It took them till 2017 to actually give us accounts to redowload software, xbox had this on the first xbox live back in what 2002. PS3 had this in 2006. Nintendo is ass backwards with online and accounts.

I love the switch though. Thats the thing. You can love something and point out its shortcommings. You know who downplays this stuff? immature, insecure fanboys who use console ownership as some sort of identity. If you critize nintendo its like you said something about their deity. In reality this stuff should be pointed out so Nintendo knows there is feedback.

Now its up to them if they change things. Maybe they are fine with how it is. Maybe they are cool with lower graphics , so they can keep prices lower. (wish they would do that for joycons.....grrr) . I am ok with that.

My main concern with the switch is for their next system. If they don't provide backwards compatibility then I have 30+ physical games and 60+ digital games that will die if my switch breaks. I don't trust nintendo with this as they have killed bc before.

Last edited:

Tams

The switch is missing so much that the ds/3ds had and its not even funny. Wii and wii u had more functions.
Where is microphone, where is dedicated apps for streaming, browser, etc...
Friend codes are still ridiculous.
It took them till 2017 to actually give us accounts to redowload software, xbox had this on the first xbox live back in what 2002. PS3 had this in 2006. Nintendo is ass backwards with online and accounts.

I love the switch though. Thats the thing. You can love something and point out its shortcommings. You know who downplays this stuff? immature, insecure fanboys who use console ownership as some sort of identity. If you critize nintendo its like you said something about their deity. In reality this stuff should be pointed out so Nintendo knows there is feedback.

Now its up to them if they change things. Maybe they are fine with how it is. Maybe they are cool with lower graphics , so they can keep prices lower. (wish they would do that for joycons.....grrr) . I am ok with that.

My main concern with the switch is for their next system. If they don't provide backwards compatibility then I have 30+ physical games and 60+ digital games that will die if my switch breaks. I don't trust nintendo with this as they have killed bc before.

For the lack of features beyond just playing games, which even the DS and Wii had... I can only guess that their statistics showed that its not worth even doing, let alone prioritising. I liked the browser on the DS and the Wii U, but I can't imagine a huge number of people actually used them that much.

I have no problem with friend codes. It's clearly to create a barrier to adding people, which given who a lot of their users are is fine. Yes, even with parental controls available. And if as someone who doesn't need nannying... well if you don't need a nanny, then adding someone with friend code should not be a task beyond you.

As I said, it plays games and that's all they've marketed it as. And I have lots of other fancy, far more expensive gadgets to browse the web, watch my animu, etc.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Nintendo’s the low tech safe space that you can be comfortable letting kids play in. I could joke about old man out of touch Nintendo, but I’m fine with their being one platform that shields players from all the bullshit that’s out there.

If you want modern features play on any other platform.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Even though it's a fam fun system, I'm surprised it's so bad.

Considering how you hear about how competitive Mario Kart and Smash Bro gamers are, you'd think they'd put in better online to easily play against the masses.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
If this was as fundamental as you say, switch would never become this successful. Maybe it's not Nintendo who's out if touch...
wow the switch sold a lot therefore it's automatically amazing and perfect and nothing about it needs to be improved.
by your logic gaming consoles don't need controllers since the iphone sold better than every single gaming console and it only has 3 buttons on it. see how ridiculous ya sound?

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
As I said, it plays games and that's all they've marketed it as. And I have lots of other fancy, far more expensive gadgets to browse the web, watch my animu, etc.
doesn't mean they should make the system near featureless. the switch is already kind of big as is, i don't want to have to whip out my phone to browse the web when i have an android powered tablet in my hands clearly capable of doing so with a simple software update.

Last edited:

Tams

doesn't mean they should make the system near featureless. the switch is already kind of big as is, i don't want to have to whip out my phone to browse the web when i have an android powered tablet in my hands clearly capable of doing so with a simple software update.
Ummm, I can see wanting to use a tablet with a slightly bigger display, but if that with the controllers attached and no mobile connection is more convenient that taking out a phone with a mobile connection and only a slightly smaller display...

Well, you do you, but that just seems stupid.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Ummm, I can see wanting to use a tablet with a slightly bigger display, but if that with the controllers attached and no mobile connection is more convenient that taking out a phone with a mobile connection and only a slightly smaller display...

Well, you do you, but that just seems stupid.
1. they could have just put a sim card slot on the switch and called it a day :messenger_smirking:
2. i have to carry both my phone and my switch in order to play a game and look up guides for it. on 3ds all i had to do was bring my 3ds.

Top Bottom