• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In 2023, Why can't I do normal online functions on the switch?

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Nintendo has the nerve to charge for their online service that lacks basic features going back to the mid 90s.

Just some examples :

- I can't pick someone I play with and send a friend request
- I can't send a message to any of my friends
-Still no built in voice chat options
-The online marketplace itself feels sluggish and dated.

Is Nintendo really this out of touch with reality?

StueyDuck

People beat up on Sony and MS all the time (and sometimes it's vindicated)

But Nintendo switch OS and its store front and online features and capabilities are genuinely atrocious.

I have a fairly large swath of friends who own switches but we don't ever touch the thing for online play ever.

It's just too shit and painful.

As an aside I had a chuckle the other day when I re setup my wii u for potential bricking reasons to find it didn't have an ethernet port.

Nintendo really are backwards when it comes to modernity and not In a cute way

Last edited:

Zuzu

The eShop is woeful lol. It’s so slow; feels a bit like the early days of smart phones back in like 2009 when touch screens were newish. I remember those phones being so slow and unresponsive. That’s what browsing on the Switch shop is like.

bender

What time is it?
giphy.gif

Soltype

Hoping that they double down on the emulator thing, just start throwing games at us because as it stands the price isn't worth it

Banjo64

cumsessed
As someone who doesn’t play online with friends I can’t say I care. Sucks for people that want to squad up in Splatoon or play against friends in Smash and MK though. For someone like me that only ever plays vs randos it makes no difference and @ £12-£13 per year from a third party seller I’d say it’s by far better value than Gold.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Yeah, it sucks. Might get better over time now that they have a paid subscription though. They’ve never had that kind of incentive previously.

Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

SteadyEvo

All Bluetooth is wireless...

I don't get it.
I have a lot of Bose quiet comfort earbuds that I use on my phone and switch. There’s no option to connect them to the ps5 or series x. Small thing considering all the other features switch is missing but gaming with noise canceling earbuds is a blessing in my house.

Comparing Nintendo to Sony and Microsoft is pointless. They focus on two different markets.

Just play Nintendo games on a Nintendo console and AAA online games anywhere else.

Bojji

Comparing Nintendo to Sony and Microsoft is pointless. They focus on two different markets.

Just play Nintendo games on a Nintendo console and AAA online games anywhere else.

You can also play Nintendo games on pc and don't give money to this company and their ancient ways of thinking (i don't like Nintendo games that much so this option is not for me) +4K/120FPS etc.

Fbh

Because the average Nintendo executive seemingly found out about the internet like 4 years ago....from a fax.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Because the average Nintendo executive seemingly found out about the internet like 4 years ago....from a fax.
They actually were far ahead of everyone on multiple OS features on the Wii U, and it amounted to nothing for them. MiiVerse was fantastic, and was being fully integrated into the games even.

Their friend request stuff is archaic but I think they want to prevent it from being too easy, to put parents at ease with little kids being on there. Who knows.

Last edited:

TexMex

You’re not wrong, but I’m not paying for online either. I’m laying $4 a month for reasonably convienent access to a bunch of NES/SNES/64/GBA games and for that it’s been more than worth it to me.

Sleepwalker

My OLED switch wont even find my home wifi anymore, it worked fine then lost connection a few days ago and now only finds other random networks in the neighborhood but not mine. Tried everu troubleshooting step and nothing, wont even find my phones hotspot. Just out of warranty too.

Oh and the joycons now dont work unless they are attached, so it cant be used docked with wired connection.

Well considering I don't play much online outside of anything anymore, it really doesn't matter to me. Although I would like voice chat for lan games.
Playing tetris connect with my gf on switch would be nice to talk, but the switch doesn't even have a mic. The vita had one and had way better online kz mercenary was great!

I do like switch though even though I have a steam deck. I play games that are not so power hungry on it. Games like octopath traveler 2 really pop on the Oled. Games like sonic suck though, and I wish I got it for ps5.
Also I love the hd rumble. Steam deck doesn't have it, unfortunately.

What I don't like about Nintendo is how expensive joycons are. $90 for joycons, the grey ones are $180, wtf...why discontinue normal matching colors. Shit they don't even sell replacement oled white ones...grrr.
There isn't even 3rd party ones (hori's are missing rumble and so many other features, pathetic as nintendo licensed them to have cut down features). The other brands are all sold out on amazon and there is like 1 or 2 brands with no reviews. Counter to a year ago with 100s of 3rd party joycons, I wonder what happened there.

Presently enjoying Octopath 2 on switch, metroid prime remake, and have recently played AC2, Crisis Core and Fire Emblem engage. I really love my oled switch as much as my steam deck.

I did enjoy some random switch sports online play and smash bros, but outside of a handful of times, switch is my sit on the toilet, porch, etc.. takes the place of vita/3ds machine.

Last edited:
So adult Nintendo fans can't easily contact children.

Correct but not just adult gamers, it's creepers and pedos etc. Nintendo don't want to be Roblox and all the chat/community/lawsuit issues there.

I'm thankful Nintendo provide a place my daughter can just game and not be inundated with harassment. 95% of chat is spam and unrelated to games people are playing anyhow.

However, Sony's "but the children" was a farce and glad gamers pushed back on that front for cross play.

Xbox and gaming in general have some real community issues to deal with. Xbox are leading a charge but it's faaar from perfect.

Hopefully they can all work together for some shared aspects on bad actor users cross platform.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
If that's what you want to do you can do it and be fully legal (at least in your eyes). Buying used also means no money to Nintendo.
Is Nintendo the bad guy or something? First you promote piracy, then you backpeddle to buy used games. If you don't think Nintendo should be paid for their product then just don't play their games at all.

JimboJones

It's a pretty poor state but it is what it is. I've just given up on playing on line games on Nintendo devices for the most part to be fair.
I don't play a lot of online games anyway so it's not a huge loss at the end of the day.

EruditeHobo

Nintendo has the nerve to charge for their online service that lacks basic features going back to the mid 90s.

Just some examples :

- I can't pick someone I play with and send a friend request
- I can't send a message to any of my friends
-Still no built in voice chat options
-The online marketplace itself feels sluggish and dated.

Is Nintendo really this out of touch with reality?

They seem to just not give a fuck... and considering the console's success, one could make the argument why should they?

That said I'm totally on your side -- I think not offering this is pathetic in this day and age, it's like a production car in 2030 not having a back-up camera, however they just can afford not to care. Mostly because the man-children who unhealthily worship the brand like corporate sycophants... but also (tertiarily) because they do make some really good exclusive titles from legacy franchises, which lots of people want to play.

Sleepwalker

Yeah, yeah.

The guy literally just said you can play the games on PC so you DON'T give Nintendo any money.
Plus let's not pretend that dumping games is easy in the first place, you need to own a very early gen switch or have installed a modchip to the motherboard of your newer switch, for the latter you don't go through those steps just because you want to emulate on PC.

Top Bottom