• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Immortality - Review Thread

wolywood

The mere fact they mentioned David Lynch...and nudity...does it have a one-hand mode?
Lick Lips Savor GIF
It definitely has a Mulholland Drive vibe

GreenAlien

I just stumbled upon the ending. No idea what is going on in this game. Uncovering new clips is way too random. I have not even finished going through most of the first movie :messenger_unamused: .
Maybe trying to focus on one movie at a time was the wrong approach to this..

As it is, I feel like there is an interesting story and concept in there somewhere, but the way it is executed doesn't work. The game part doesnt work. I don't get those reviews.

Also, the ending credits seem to be bugged, maybe only in the gamepass version. As in, they don't roll, you just get a background image while music plays and you can't do anything anymore.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I don't know whether this is actually a good game or not yet, but I definitely want to drill the main chick in it... which is I'm sure is exactly what Sam Barlow's intention was (y)

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Eh.

One the one hand, it's extremely creative. On the other, it's bathed in the glow of its own cleverness.

I very much enjoyed the conceit of uncovering and archiving the footage to sort out what happens to the main character, but the actual execution of how the story is unveiled is pretty poor.

I'm all for some ambiguity, but you've still eventually got to join the dots in a cohesive and coherent way, that leaves the player satisfied with the conclusion that's been reached. This game never does that. It simply throws a lot of disparate elements at you, fails to explain great swathes of the storyline, and requires you to fill in the blanks. Some might assume this is genius, but I personally think its just plain lazy.

Genius doesn't lie in cryptic information. It lies in presenting that cryptic information in such a way that it all slots together to complete the puzzle. None of that going on here. It's great to posit a storyline
where demonic entities take control of human beings to live out their creative fantasies, but you have to be clearer at the conclusion about how and when and why they came to do this
. Otherwise you have a great concept, but a poor execution.

Barlow has been sniffing his own farts a bit. Come back when you tell an actual cohesive story mate, instead of asking the audience to do most of the job for you.

Last edited:
So I beat it. Just going to wait for a guide to get the last few scenes I haven’t unlocked instead of randomly clicking around. Story is… OK. Nothing fantastic, nothing horrid. Just incredibly overhyped for zero reason. 6/10 game easy.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Well I got some achievements and found a face and made music swell. But I don’t know what is happening.

Pallas

Gold Member
What ever it is, its not a game
You can tell someone has never played a FMV game, or even heard of the concept. It’s a game and a established genre. It’s irrelevant that you think it’s not an actual game though. It’s understandable if you don’t like games like this but others do.

Anyway, I do enjoy a good FMV game. It’s definitely a different experience, sort of like visual novels. Will be checking this out, and trying to avoid spoilers so I’m not clicking any links and gonna dive into this blind.

Deerock71

I like the randomness of it, and how it frequently leads to bare breasts. The story is actually pretty good and well acted, too, but they sure know which side their bread is buttered on. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

SteadyEvo

Downloaded before seeing this thread. Hoping to be surprised like As Dusk Falls. If it’s as good as the reviews say, keep up it up MS

ManaByte

Gold Member
What ever it is, its not a game

Remember when this totally non-game caused congressional hearings about violence in video games and caused the video game industry to adopt a rating system to avoid the government coming in and controlling the content of games?

c9n9cB.gif

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Remember when this totally non-game caused congressional hearings about violence in video games and caused the video game industry to adopt a rating system to avoid the government coming in and controlling the content of games?

c9n9cB.gif

Those are some of the most realistic graphics I've ever seen in any game.

Chukhopops

Got the credits yesterday although I still have some missing scenes about a specific character.

Thought it was quite clever and unique, the only thing I didn’t get is
why Durick would initially try to make the « Tell him Im dangerous » movie if he’s already been taken over by The One when making the second movie? He would have made a movie for Marissa directly.

Really worth a try if you have GP and enjoy David Lynch movies, it’s the same recipe of mindfuck plot + high quality titties.

Edit: ok it all makes sense now. Even better than I thought.

Last edited:
Reached the credits but there're still some unresolved plots so I might play a bit more in the coming days.

Overall a very nice experience, definitely worth your time if you are a Game Pass subscriber and into that type of games, though I would say it's nowhere near my GOTY.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I knew this game was something else when I clicked on a
boob
and jumped to another scene with the same thing. I don't know if it is much of a game, but it is interesting.

Hari Seldon

How do you play this game? I started out yesterday and spent the entire time clicking on the main girl's face which seemingly opened up a bajillion new clips to watch but eventually I guess it runs out but it doesn't tell you that it runs out or that you have seen a particular clip before. This mechanic is annoying as shit I just wish it was clips to watch instead.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
How do you play this game? I started out yesterday and spent the entire time clicking on the main girl's face which seemingly opened up a bajillion new clips to watch but eventually I guess it runs out but it doesn't tell you that it runs out or that you have seen a particular clip before. This mechanic is annoying as shit I just wish it was clips to watch instead.
Now start clicking on objects and other peoples faces. when you hear music swell rewind.....

Hari Seldon

Now start clicking on objects and other peoples faces. when you hear music swell rewind.....
I dunno this game is driving me insane. I just want to watch the story linearly not click on a billion different things interrupting my watching of it. My gameplay loop is to basically click on the girls face, a new clip opens up, I close it and go back to the original clip, click on the girl's face, a new clip opens up, go back to original clip.... repeat infinitely because there is no indication that I have reached the end of the line.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I dunno this game is driving me insane. I just want to watch the story linearly not click on a billion different things interrupting my watching of it. My gameplay loop is to basically click on the girls face, a new clip opens up, I close it and go back to the original clip, click on the girl's face, a new clip opens up, go back to original clip.... repeat infinitely because there is no indication that I have reached the end of the line.
try clicking on some animals.

I guess at some point I will figure out what happened to this girl.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Three movies, all unreleased, and at the centre of it all - a missing woman. What did happen to Marissa Marcel? From one clip expands a hundred, and through them, Immortality implores you to find out.

Immortality was reviewed by Sam Loveridge on PC and is also available on PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo Switch.

Jaybe

Finished this. Interesting game.
I didn’t read or watch any reviews prior, which if you’re going the game pass route is probably best. Just saw the high scores and knew about Her Story.

Last edited:

Relique

Got the credits yesterday although I still have some missing scenes about a specific character.

Thought it was quite clever and unique, the only thing I didn’t get is
why Durick would initially try to make the « Tell him Im dangerous » movie if he’s already been taken over by The One when making the second movie? He would have made a movie for Marissa directly.

Really worth a try if you have GP and enjoy David Lynch movies, it’s the same recipe of mindfuck plot + high quality titties.

Edit: ok it all makes sense now. Even better than I thought.
I haven't unlocked every scene since I ran out of patience but from what I gather Durick was never possessed by The Other One. During filming of Mansky, The Immortal inside Marissa was in love with Durick and wanted to be in movies, but The Other One was getting in the way calling it a waste of time. So Immortal/Marissa and Durick plotted to kill The Other One by killing the host Carl. Once the deed was done they played it off as an accident, cancelled the movie, and he went on to create another movie for her.

Apparently by watching Carl's cremation The Other One was able to inhabit Amy. So The Other One tries to go back and make amends. Eventually Marissa's immortal had a falling out with Durick, he couldn't accept her for what she is, so she kills him. She begins to die herself towards the end of filming and they decide to burn her so she can die like the Other One did and "become more". It's implied in the ending that us by playing the game, we are in the same situation as Amy was and by witnessed the burning of the Immortal she is now part of us.

I don’t have the patience for this shit
Same here. I saw the ending and pieced together the basic plot but there are a few unknown elements to me. Unfortunately the game seems to either block off access or it's completely RNG instead of using a knockout system for scenes. You click on an item and you keep getting the same 3 cutscenes so you ignore the item. Only to find out later that the item exists in other scenes but for whatever reason you were gated off. If this worked at a faster pace it would have been a much better game.

Top Bottom