• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Im really skeptical of buzzwords like Direct x 12, vulkan, variable rate shading, rdna...

Trimesh

Banned
so since developers dont utilise them as much then they are buzzwords and especially when they dont bring any or little change vs the competition! Because as a consumer ill buy a dx12 product only if it had improvement over vulkan, dx 11 or a playstations counterpart if not then fuck it!
Talking about apis and techniques that already exist with the competition is misdirection and buzzwords! Do u really think vrs isnt available on ps5 or dx 12 is more low level than the ps5 api's, they simply brought the dx12 discussion after they found out the xbox one was less powerful than the ps4 and they still lost np dx12 could save them and this time around ms just added more buzzwords!

PS5 supports two graphics APIs - one is a low-level API called GNM (about the same level as DX12 and Vulkan) and the other is a higher level API called GNMX, which operates at a similar level of abstraction to DX11.

Similarly the Xbox One supports both DX11 and DX12 depending on which sort of API you want to use. This was pretty obvious from the outset because both machines are based around AMDs GCN graphics hardware, which is DX12 capable.

I don't consider this a "buzzword" at all - it's just telling the developers that if you want to jump through the extra hoops needed to use a low level graphics API then one is available. If you don't, then fine - just use DX11 (or GNMX on the PS4).

Reactions: Alx

Three

No one sane was expecting dx12 to close the gap between the xbox one and the ps4 (the standard models), not MS or developers. Especially considering sony had their own low level apis and more powerful hardware. And what real questions are they "hiding" from? Also, you can't compare this to game engines like unreal. Rocksteady HEAVILY modified UE3, as did NeatherRealm to suit their needs. You can't do that with graphic APIs.

Penelllo:
"We invented directX we will never give them a 40% advantage"

Also gaming bolt:

Pimpbaa

Penelllo:
"We invented directX we will never give them a 40% advantage"

Also gaming bolt:

How about no one sane and no one who knows what the hell they are talking about? Penello was the marketing director wasn't he? People like him is why we got people in here cynical about new tech.

An API is only as good as the developer coding for it.

Now MS pushing all these buzzwords out there is only so they can get the buzzword compliance stamp for their latest product, just like they did their best to distract us with cloud computing and DX 12 the last time around (and their magic ESRAM bandwidth multiplication).

Until we know what its up against we can't judge anyways... it will be more powerful than current gen consoles and it will load games faster, this is all we really know.

V4skunk

Banned
It took forever to get off of DX9 to DX11. It's going to take a while to get off of DX11 to DX-something. Shouldn't Stadia be the buzzword of the year? :p
But most new PC games run vulkan or dx12...Have done for a while...

Last edited:
This is why console manufacturers should stop making PC-related technical issues tick box buzzwords for consoles. The amount of confusion and ignorance in this thread is staggering. What good does this do for anyone?

jonnyp

Not true. You need DX12 in order to run DXR (DX Ray-tracing).

And yet RT hasn't really made had a meaningful difference visually to games. In a few GPU generations that will change of course but right now RT for me is a gimmick in regards to visuals. But I like the idea of using it for 3D audio, and hopefully it can also be used to massively improve line-of-sight calculations for enemies in games too.

Buzzwords. All of them! Only thing that matters is blast processing.

Is that your definition of masturbation?

DW74

None of these things are buzzwords.

Go do some of your own research and find out about these things.

Belmonte

Is that your definition of masturbation?

giphy.gif

zeorhymer

But most new PC games run vulkan or dx12...Have done for a while...
A lot of new games could have ran on DX11, but many of them still chose DX9 because of the existing tool sets, familiarity of the language and the overall wealth of knowledge built upon it. It's just like Windows 7. It was released 10 years ago and people still haven't moved away from it to Windows 10.

Vasto

Buzzwords? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Thats a term for " I dont understand what this means "

GEARS 5 is a 4K / 60 technical showcase and it is a DX 12 game.

VFXVeteran

Banned
And yet RT hasn't really made had a meaningful difference visually to games. In a few GPU generations that will change of course but right now RT for me is a gimmick in regards to visuals. But I like the idea of using it for 3D audio, and hopefully it can also be used to massively improve line-of-sight calculations for enemies in games too.

It's not a gimmick. It solves some sorely needed solutions to problems that are downright ugly. Take a look at Modern Warfare's implementation on RT shadows and come talk to me about how small objects appear to "float" on props because the shadow maps can't capture at the resolution needed.

However, I do agree that the games that are using it now (other than Modern Warfare) aren't the best looking from an artistic stand point.

It's not a gimmick. It solves some sorely needed solutions to problems that are downright ugly. Take a look at Modern Warfare's implementation on RT shadows and come talk to me about how small objects appear to "float" on props because the shadow maps can't capture at the resolution needed.

However, I do agree that the games that are using it now (other than Modern Warfare) aren't the best looking from an artistic stand point.
Its still small and minimal problems it solves, triangle ray tracing still has a long way to prove stuff. Maybe in racing games but anyhow it makes no difference to the average gamer if a shadow or a reflection is raytraced, its still shit id rather that computing resource go to polygons.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Its still small and minimal problems it solves, triangle ray tracing still has a long way to prove stuff. Maybe in racing games but anyhow it makes no difference to the average gamer if a shadow or a reflection is raytraced, its still shit id rather that computing resource go to polygons.

I completely disagree. I've spent many years looking at the correct solution. Games are still a long ways off and not having RT will keep them looking "gamey".

jonnyp

It's barely noticable in modern warfare while playing and as always the performance hit is not worth the upgrade. That makes it a gimmick for me.

Mikey Jr.

At the end of the for me, a lot of this stuff is bullshit.
Xbox is gonna have the gerpenstein and the Ps5 will have the floiterplot.
And when the consoles are 1 year old, no one will give a flying fuck.

Right now it's fun before the consoles come out to measure dicks.

Honestly, these fucking consoles will be so similar, digital foundry will have to use magnification of 2000% to see the difference.

Just look at the games. Don't worry about the stupid technical terms.
Which consoles has the exclusives you want to play?

Just for me, it's Ps5. I'm not gonna sit here and convince anyone or get in arguments. Ps5 is gonna have sequels to the games i loved on ps4. Simple as that.
If it is slower, it'll mean nothing to me.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I'm really sceptical of html5, let's just go back to plain html, it was fine, not a stupid number buzzword.

I completely disagree. I've spent many years looking at the correct solution. Games are still a long ways off and not having RT will keep them looking "gamey".
Thatd because yiu understand graphics and how they work, but to the average gamer he doesnt know what ray tracing is hell play a raytraced game and a normal one and wont tell a difference

Ar¢tos

I keep reading from devs (articles/posts) that dx12 is a pain to work with and they prefer dx11. Isn't X1 dx basically dx11 with some dx12 features?

About VRS, I wouldn't expect much from it outside of VR games and maybe 1st party games, it's the sort of thing I don't see 3rd party publishers approving budget/dev time to implement/optimize.

Dacon

Banned
I typically don't believe shit until people actually get their hands on the game at shows, or previews.

I still have difficulty believing that FF7 remake is happening, much less that we're 2 and a half months away from part 1's release.

VFXVeteran

Banned
It's barely noticable in modern warfare while playing and as always the performance hit is not worth the upgrade. That makes it a gimmick for me.

We can say this for a lot of games. Modern Warfare is fast and furious and so you might miss some details - true, but that doesn't mean all those details that take compute power doesn't contribute to the overall image quality. In my professional opinion, MW is the best looking game right now. It does everything well and it runs super fast @ 4k with all options at Max. It not being open world and not having dynamic time of day would be the only negatives I see.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I keep reading from devs (articles/posts) that dx12 is a pain to work with and they prefer dx11. Isn't X1 dx basically dx11 with some dx12 features?

About VRS, I wouldn't expect much from it outside of VR games and maybe 1st party games, it's the sort of thing I don't see 3rd party publishers approving budget/dev time to implement/optimize.
Both next gen consoles will have it. Soon all new video cards will have a form of it. The feature will be used to get some not to hard to get performance gains.

Top Bottom