• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Top 10 PS2 Games of All Time.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
ULTROS! List:

- Final Fantasy X
- Resident Evil 4 (even if it's a GC game)
- Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
- Kingdom Hearts II
- Shadow of the Colossus
- Persona 4 (I'm surprised why P4 isn't there)
- Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria
- Suikoden V
- Silent Hill 2
- Dragon Quest VIII

Last edited:
Last edited:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
SH2 is number 7?

Anyway missings for me are Ico, Jak and Daxter, Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter, SSX and Twisted Metal Black.

Who likes that game :messenger_unamused:

Naibel

No Gran Turismo, ZOE 2 or Persona 3/4 is surprising , "GameCube Exclusive, I swear to God" RE4 being in there made me lol, but AT LEAST the greatest game ever made is on it so IGN is saved I guess ^^

Eimran

For me:

Metal Gear Solid 3
Dragon quest VIII
Resident Evil 4
God of War
Final Fantasy X
Devil May Cry
God Hand
Okami
Icon
Shadow of the colossus
Silent Hill 2-3
Gran Turismo 4
Grand Theft Auto Vice City
Beyond Good and Evil
Jak and Daxter
SSX3
Ratchet
The warriors
Bully

Asking the top 10 of the PS2 library is an inhumane task.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 didn't even make #10? List is null and void.

LordKasual

Banned
The PS2's library is unmatched.

And it always will be.

Honestly though, i feel like this generation is the closest we've gotten. I'm hoping the next will be the one to match it though.

The stability of new engines and the widespread use of them means that games are starting to kind of have a common performance/visual standard.

This wasn't possible in the 360/PS3 era....game engines were tripping all over themselves.

Doom85

Doing a top # list for the PS2 of all consoles and it's only 10? That's like a waiter bringing you one of the best burgers you will ever taste and you eat like two bites. Come on! I'm not saying every great/good game ever on the system has to be shouted out, but 10 is not enough.

Paltheos

Who likes that game :messenger_unamused:

People with taste. Dragon Quarter is the shit.
Fun battle system, neat gimmick in the D-gauge management and how it's meshed together with NG+ing whenever you want/need to, a Hitoshi Sakimoto soundtrack.
Allot of people legit don't like it but I've kinda wondered how many of the haters are just onboard because it's not a traditional game in the series. You can mostly see a logical progression (with some missteps here and there) and then suddenly after 4 you get Dragon Quarter which is very different.

kunonabi

1. Silent Hill 3
2. Final Fantasy X-2
3. Eyeshield 21: Amefuto no Yarouze YaHa!!!
4. Resident Evil Outbreak
5. Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly
6. Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
7. Haunting Ground
8. Xenosaga Episode 1: Der Wille zur Macht
9. Dance Summit 2001
10. Silent Hill 2

Honorable Mention: Shadow of Destiny

That's pretty much how my list shakes out since I'm not really a huge PS2 guy.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Not likely to show up on any Top 10 list are all the arcade ports and compilations. PS2 was the last console to really gather it all into one place. You had Dance Dance Revolution, lightgun games, many notable shmups, vs puzzle games, tons of fighting games, and collections for a lot of retro games including the legendary Taito Memories/Legends compilations. You could fill a shelf with all the amazing arcade ports.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Gran Turismo 3
Ace Combat 4
TM Black
NFL 2k4
God of War

*** I hated GTA 3 and Shadow of Collosus. The frame rates were sketchy as hell. There is no way these games ran at even 30 fps.

Handel

Ico hard snubbed, replace Vice City on the list with it as there's already the superior San Andrea's on the list. It's one of the most influential games of all time narratively and in terms of design concept.

Good to see Okami get it's due though.

My top 10 :

1. Ico
2. Okami
3. Silent Hill 2
4. RE4
5. Shadow of the Colossus
6. GTA San Andrea's
7. FFX
8. Kingdom Hearts 1
9. Dragon Quest VIII
10. God of War 2

Last edited:

nordique

Everyone’s top 10 is gonna be different for this system

for me, the standout experiences were:

MGS2, MGS3
Devil May Cry 1 & 3
Shadow of the Colossus
God of War
GTA 3, Vice City, San Andreas
Sly Cooper series

these were the games I enjoyed the most and I played on ps2, and ultimately owned the system for

mcz117chief

Gran Turismo 3
Ace Combat 4
TM Black
NFL 2k4
God of War

*** I hated GTA 3 and Shadow of Collosus. The frame rates were sketchy as hell. There is no way these games ran at even 30 fps.
I can't understand why anyone would put Ace Combat 4 on any list of best PS2 games when both 5 and Zero are far superior in every possible way.

Faenrir

Ign... :messenger_grinning_sweat:
No RPG on that list but 2 GTA games and several horror games...hmmm.

Here's my top 10:
Dragon Quest VIII
Radiata Stories
Rogue Galaxy
Ico
Okami
Shadow of the Colossus
Soul Calibur II
Devil May Cry
Dragon Ball Z Budokai 3
Guilty Gear X2

I had no idea there was an Eyeshield game, i'll have to track one down ^^

Last edited:

Handel

Ign... :messenger_grinning_sweat:
No RPG on that list but 2 GTA games and several horror games...hmmm.

Here's my top 10:
Dragon Quest VIII
Radiata Stories
Rogue Galaxy
Ico
Okami
Shadow of the Colossus
Soul Calibur II
Devil May Cry
Dragon Ball Z Budokai 3
Guilty Gear X2

I had no idea there was an Eyeshield game, i'll have to track one down ^^
I was tempted to put Radiata Stories on my own list, quite a flawed game but has a bunch of interesting concepts. Dark Cloud is another that would probably be in if expanded to 15 or 20.

Top Bottom