• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: How Star Wars Games Can Flourish Now That EA Lost Exclusivity

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
But UbiSoft though. It’s like going from EA to EA with the same amount of reskin. The open world game by Massive will probably be in the same GaaS nature as The Division.

Hopefully similar variety charm of LucasArts is recaptured like they were fawning over in the StarWars.com statement, but I'll keep my expectations low.

Last edited:

Shanomatic

I’m still not sure how EA managed to hold on to the Star Wars license exclusively for so long and make one worthwhile game with it.

Perhaps it’s an unpopular opinion, but I enjoy Ubisoft’s Skinner Box games of climb the tower, fill in the map, collect this or that. It appeals to my dumb caveman brain like few others do, so I’m looking forward to what they can do with the license.

Really my only concern is getting an influx of mediocre games flood the market from every Tom, Dick, and Harry as Daddy Disney tries to recoup some lost theme park money, but even then there’s sure to be some quality to be found in that scenario.

Last edited:
As long as it sees a return to a couple of generations ago when there was Star Wars games of all shapes & sizes, I'll be happy enough. Would never get amusing spin-offs such as Super Bombad Racing from the likes of EA.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Ubisoft's open world formula works... as long as its a world you already want to get lost in. Truthfully, most of their games don't really do it for me, but when they do land one, they really do. Division 2 ate up an ungodly amount hours for me. Getting lost in the world of Star Wars is something I hoped we'd have been able to do by now. I have a tiny, division-sized amount of faith that Massive might be able to full it off. But hey - it can't be any worse than what EA's been squeezing out.

Trilobit

I wonder when we'll get a game starring Rey...

Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

mcz117chief

I don't understand this negativism, Ubisoft is a lot more diverse than EA. Recently we got the exceptional ANNO 1800 and before that smaller games like Child of Light and Valiant Hearts. They are also way more committed to their products than EA, just look at what they have done with Rainbow Six Siege or For Honor. I honestly have much greater hope for Ubisoft than for EA to make a good game.

Imotekh

I just hope giving Star Wars to Ubisoft means we don't end up with one of these super bloated open world games where there are 200 different icons in the map legend.

RAIDEN1

Give it to the developers of Deus EX, a game like Deus EX set in the Star Wars universe would be AWESOME!!!

Reactions: Fuz

Cravis

A publisher needs to secure a deal to obtain what has been done on Star Wars 1313 and finish it. Pipe dream but crazier things have happened.

iJudged

Banned
I love how this is coming from IGN. IGN that rated all EA Star Wars games very highly, so according to them Star Wars has always flourished under EA.

Fallen Order 9/10
Battlefront 8/10
Battlefront 2 8.8/10
Squadrons 8/10
The Old Republic 9/10
IGN are a tainted company.

Reactions: Fuz

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I don't know, but I don't expect that Ubisoft can bring anything positive, hell EA at least have high quality Battlefield series, Titanfall and clearly they can bring games like Fallen Order, Ubisoft on the other hand can provide some reskin of Assasins Creed. Does not seems right to me. However maybe the licence is not bound to one dev/publisher this time?

Methos#1975

I’m still not sure how EA managed to hold on to the Star Wars license exclusively for so long and make one worthwhile game with it.

Perhaps it’s an unpopular opinion, but I enjoy Ubisoft’s Skinner Box games of climb the tower, fill in the map, collect this or that. It appeals to my dumb caveman brain like few others do, so I’m looking forward to what they can do with the license.

Really my only concern is getting an influx of mediocre games flood the market from every Tom, Dick, and Harry as Daddy Disney tries to recoup some lost theme park money, but even then there’s sure to be some quality to be found in that scenario.
Fallen Order was damn good stuff

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I actually think the idea of UBI making a SW game is a good thing. They have massive resources, they know how to make a good open world experience. I would play and AC like game set in the SW world, jumping from planet to planet. They are also willing to hire insufferable perverts that will do whatever it takes to get their staff to perform.

The performance under EA wasn't bad, it just wasn't great either. It was Okay. I think a lot of people would have their opinions changed looking at all the titles released if it had that one big hit that keeps alluding the franchise (and EA). Could Ubisoft deliver that big hit with their open world formula's? Who knows.

dezzy8

I’d take Ubisoft over most of these other publishers. They should’ve let EA do battlefront and let other pubs use the license for other genres.

Moogle11

Banned
I love how this is coming from IGN. IGN that rated all EA Star Wars games very highly, so according to them Star Wars has always flourished under EA.

Fallen Order 9/10
Battlefront 8/10
Battlefront 2 8.8/10
Squadrons 8/10
The Old Republic 9/10

While I get the point being made, that's still only 5 games over a long period of time from an IP that could have multiple decent games a year. There's also only one single player game and the rest are entirely MP games with BF2 and Squadrons having short, tacked on campaigns that were ok at best. So there's definitely a lot of room to get more, and more variety, in Star Wars games going forward. Even for people who liked all or most of those 5 games.

How can you not be sick of Star Wars at this point?

I've been a huge fan of Star Wars for 35+ years. I'll never tire of the setting, lore, Jedis etc. Lots of room for variety now that the Skywalker/Emperor Palpatine story line is done. I'm also someone that's liked all the movies to varying degrees and all the shows and cartoons other than Resistance.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Give me Frostbite engine over Ubisoft their engines.

EA is mostly 60fps goodness, while Ubisoft.....

Thats not the only one. They held an exclusive Porsche license for 16 years until recently! They were the only racing game company to have exclusive rights to official Porsche models.

The rest of developers, yes even Gran Turismo series could only use RUF Porsche made cars in their games. Looking back, thats why there were so little racing games having any Porsche at all. The exclusive deal ended in 2016 and GT for the first time could have a genuine Porsche in their roster. Bonkers.

Last edited:

Yoda

Fallen Order 9/10
Battlefront 8/10
Battlefront 2 8.8/10
Squadrons 8/10
The Old Republic 9/10

Big Publisher games are graded on a curve unless they're overtly broken (ex: Anthem).

CamHostage

The open world game by Massive will probably be in the same GaaS nature as The Division.
A farcry starwars mod would be pretty great!

From the announcement and Twitter rumors, it does sound like LucasFilm Games is trying to get "Star Wars: The Division" made.

To be fair though, the same jokes about Battlefront being a reskinned "Battlefield with Stormtroopers" circulated when that project was first announced, but DICE's Star Wars Battlefield is a fairly different shooter with its own ruleset and mechanics (for better or worse) from any of the Battlefield releases.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
I don't understand this negativism, Ubisoft is a lot more diverse than EA. Recently we got the exceptional ANNO 1800 and before that smaller games like Child of Light and Valiant Hearts. They are also way more committed to their products than EA, just look at what they have done with Rainbow Six Siege or For Honor. I honestly have much greater hope for Ubisoft than for EA to make a good game.

Ubisoft hasnt done anything creative or interesting for years. Isnt Child of Light and Valiant Hearts over 10 years old now? Bit weird to keep mentioning those games as if they still do anything similar.

Just because they are making money on microtransactions and therefore polished For Honor and Rainbow Six only shows they are only interested in money.

Anno series is very popular on PC so it would be stupid to let that cash go.

Larxia

When EA comes to Steam and we can finally have Star Wars games there, it's now Ubisoft's turn with the license, who doesn't put games on Steam :messenger_astonished:

I'm also not more interested in Ubi than EA... Because we now know it can't be anything original since it will have to follow the regular ubi formula.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

Ubisoft hasnt done anything creative or interesting for years. Isnt Child of Light and Valiant Hearts over 10 years old now? Bit weird to keep mentioning those games as if they still do anything similar.

Just because they are making money on microtransactions and therefore polished For Honor and Rainbow Six only shows they are only interested in money.

Still better than anything EA pumped out during these past 10 years.

Over time, it'll open the door (hopefully) for smaller devs to tackle the license and give their spin. Indie companies would probably do a lot of good to keep Classic SW alive in the hearts of the fans while Disney moves in whatever new franchise direction they please. Used to have Star Wars games across all different genres and platforms. I miss that.

bxrz

I don’t have faith in either. They have 6 studios working on 1 game and it still comes out a 7/10. They just aren’t MTX heavy like EA but quality wise, meh

wolywood

Immortals was surprisingly good.

Give me Frostbite engine over Ubisoft their engines.

EA is mostly 60fps goodness, while Ubisoft.....
The Frostbite Engine is the only saving grace EA has when discussing Star Wars under their tenure. It's one of the most impressive game engines in the industry rivaling Unreal Engine and Id Tech Engine. However, their Star Wars games apart from Fallen Order have all been lifeless cash-grabs that you can garner a few hours of enjoyment from until you discover just how hollow the experience really is. Ubisoft's Snowdrop Engine, however, is no slouch and can provide an extreme level of detail for an open-world game, even if the experience will most likely only be 30fps on the consoles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom