• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: How Hidden Nazi Symbols Were the Tip of a Toxic Iceberg at Life Is Strange Developer Deck Nine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lambogenie

Do these people have lives? Do they just look for random shit to be outraged about? It's like they literally sit in a room like Russell Crowe in A Beatiful Mind to create connections to shit that doesn't exist.
That's basically a part of some people's jobs, yes. I am not joking.

Most people alive now/target audiences don't associate certain things to bad things in the past. But certain, very tiny groups, will want to keep reminding them.

cormack12

Gold Member
Not everything is woke bs.

Not everything is Nazi's

Have you noticed all these articles just give the punchline and no context, no imagery? Then read these quotes too:

Garris went on to claim that the narrative team on True Colors was “initially characterized by torpor rather than toxicity” due to “a smaller portion of the group not collaborating well.” He said, “In all of my career, I have never worked with writers who were as creatively inflexible, antagonistic toward difference, or less inclined to listen or compromise as a select few of this group.”

As Littleton put it, the team hoped they could work to build Deck Nine into a “home for people like us.”

“Queer or trans or women of color or just writers of color, folks who are not typically comfortable, able to be at home in the games industry just because of the way that it is,” she continued.

Lyons claimed that following the investigation, management determined that this was “not an intentional action.”

So fingers in their ears, narcissistic, unable to take feedback. Trying to use the studio to push activism and use social eugenics to choose who gets to work there. Lastly, the outcome of the investigation probably concludes these are just accidental/coincidence.

The more of the preceding article you read, the worse off these people come.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Not everything is Nazi's

Have you noticed all these articles just give the punchline and no context, no imagery? Then read these quotes too:

So fingers in their ears, narcissistic, unable to take feedback. Trying to use the studio to push activism and use social eugenics to choose who gets to work there. Lastly, the outcome of the investigation probably concludes these are just accidental/coincidence.

The more of the preceding article you read, the worse off these people come.
I was talking about post like this on here / neogaf:

"I guess my favorite soccer team are Nazi's then as they have merch with '88 on it. They were founded in 1888..."

"My gf was born in 1988, I guess she's literally Hitler then."

Cyberpunkd

vmT6Xhd.jpg
System Elvish GIF by Emaze Media

I was talking about post like this on here / neogaf:

"I guess my favorite soccer team are Nazi's then as they have merch with '88 on it. They were founded in 1888..."

"My gf was born in 1988, I guess she's literally Hitler then."

Is there proof of the nazi symbols? I don't see any pictures in the article. If they were included in the game, where are they? Have they been patched already? Has any of these unsafe devs made a screenshot?

If the answer to the above is "NO" all we got is this:

9qdxDd5.jpg

The only sane answer to this bullshit is laughing at it.

StereoVsn

Some of you guys really are little babies. Trying to marginalize the use of nazi shit.
88 is to nazis what 69 is to Reddit.

It is wildly acknowledged signal for nazis. If you see someone with a 88 patch or tattoo they are shitty people. Even if your granny happens to be 88 atm.

Yep, there is no need to defend Nazis or shit around that. However, its really unclear what is going on in this particular case.

As far as to why its hard for studio to secure funding for next projects, that has nothing to do with this crap, but rather with mediocre games they produced.

nikolino840

Where?
But isn't the same game with the chineese/Taiwan/whatever flag ? I remember something like this with a flag and asian countries...

calistan

Yep, there is no need to defend Nazis or shit around that. However, its really unclear what is going on in this particular case.

As far as to why its hard for studio to secure funding for next projects, that has nothing to do with this crap, but rather with mediocre games they produced.
True Colors is an excellent game!

Most of that IGN article seems to be a character assassination of a senior director called Garriss, who wasn't sufficiently deferent to other writers who felt they understood the characters better than he could, since he's straight and presumably white. In addition he is accused of (and apologies in advance to anyone who is triggered by this)... lingering near open doors.

Is there proof of the nazi symbols? I don't see any pictures in the article. If they were included in the game, where are they? Have they been patched already? Has any of these unsafe devs made a screenshot?
I'd have thought if somebody was sufficiently outraged about it, they'd have taken a screenshot at the time. Seems like it actually did happen, though, as the article says this:

In a message posted in Slack, CEO Mark Lyons informed staff that it had removed the symbols and investigated how they came to be there. Lyons claimed that following the investigation, management determined that this was “not an intentional action.”

“Regardless of intent, we will not tolerate any form of hate speech in the games. It doesn’t matter if we accidentally put such symbols in the game, unaware of their meaning, if some segment of our audience perceive them to be espousing hate speech.”

Last edited:

wipeout364

Some of you guys really are little babies. Trying to marginalize the use of nazi shit.
88 is to nazis what 69 is to Reddit.

It is wildly acknowledged signal for nazis. If you see someone with a 88 patch or tattoo they are shitty people. Even if your granny happens to be 88 atm.

Wasn’t it 18 reported in the article? I’m confused. Is 18 or 88 related to Nazi propaganda?

Anyway I actually kind of liked Life is Strange True Colors for what it was, better than the main games so I hope they get it sorted out.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Kinda funny how adherents of one genocidal ideology are always hiding in the shadows when supporters of a certain other genocidal ideology (the one with a bigger bodycount but way better PR) are about...

EDIT: Having skimmed the (ludicrous) article Deck 9 really need to find and fire the people making these blatant DARVO attacks before they destroy the studio.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
"Other blatant White Supremacist propaganda and rallying cries found in game upon our team's personal investigation included: Dinner tables with four chairs, a hockey stick placed upside down against a wall, and four (4) instances of the word "Black," appearing non-capitalized,"

Last edited:

tkscz

"Other blatant White Supremacist propaganda and rallying cries found in game upon our team's personal investigation included: Dinner tables with four chairs, a hockey stick placed upside down against a wall, and four (4) instances of the word "Black," appearing non-capitalized,"
The fact that I had to make sure you were joking says way too much

Hugare

Lost my sides at number 18 being nazi

They have waaaay too much time over there at Deck Nine

How about making some games

Last edited:

StereoVsn

True Colors is an excellent game!

I'd have thought if somebody was sufficiently outraged about it, they'd have taken a screenshot at the time. Seems like it actually did happen, though, as the article says this:
I wasn't a fan of True Colors and I liked the first Life is Strange game, but that was a different studio. This crap probably happened, but management didn't want it to be blown out of proportion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom