• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGN] Blue Dragon hands-on....almost

jet1911

"We can change the flow of water," and proceeded to show how the game engine allows for the water's speed and density to change. As the water flowed down stream, it seemed to do so naturally against the terrain making up the riverbed.

I don't belive, X360 is not able to do fluid physics amright? :p

The tech behind this game seems impressive. If they don't show the game at TGS they could at least release these pictures they talked about in the preview.

Ceb

Enough with this "father of Final Fantasy" talk. He still has to prove he's worth a damn by today's standards, and it's not going to be with this game since he's not having that much of a hands-on approach in the development.

I'm still curious to see what it's all about though. Supposed to be really detailed.

Sounds like the game can do some neat things, just something about look pushes me away from Blue Dragon. (Especially the way the title mascot is drawn.)

Had a chuckle at this:

The demonstration switched to Zora, a female character (Shu and Zora are two members of the cast of five playable characters that will make it into the final). Zora has long, silver hair and a long purple ribbon trailing from her belt. As with Team Ninja's work on Dead or Alive 4, the hair and clothes flow with the movement. "We are using a simulation program for those movements," Sakaguchi stated in reference to the clothes and hair. This physical simulation is also used for another part of Zora's body, but we'll let you imagine what that looks like.

tgs-2005-sakaguchi-talks-blue-dragon-20050914030607094.jpg

Deku

Banned
The Character designs are good and the game doesn't seem half bad at all although most of the article is about the writers gawking over the graphics of a next-gen game before the console has hit the streets, which is usually filled pretty standard hyperbole since it is supposed to be a NEXT-GEN game.

Microsoft may be on to something if Sakaguchi's games are any good at all.

Amir0x

Banned
gollumsluvslave said:
tgs-2005-sakaguchi-talks-blue-dragon-20050914030607094.jpg

Is it just me or does that look like ass, even for anime?

It's Akira Toriyama. Akiya Toriyama fucking sucks.

*taps sig*

Looking forward to the game behind the art, though.

Prine

Banned
The character looked as clean and defined as the pre-rendered target clips that was shown at E3. His animation was smooth.

impressive :D And they said it was an old model.

Sakaguchi continued with his description of the character visuals. "In order to produce smooth transitions from the walking state to the running state, we are writing a new program. When Shu bends his body, his eyes move first. After that, he turns his waist in the direction he'd like to move, and then the body moves. This is not done by motion capture data. We are using a program to produce smooth body movement."

Its attention to detail like this that really impresses me when i play games. Fable Windwaker and Conker had tons neat touches.

Game tech is sounding real good, Sakaguchi is the man

trmas

Banned
No Mistwalker games at ALL at TGS? It's gonna be a while until either comes out, which is truly disappointing. One of the 360 games I was most interested in might not be shown until at least next year's E3.

jarrod

Banned
Ack! What's MGSJ thinking? They should really have new trailers of both games at TGS, even if they're years away...

Milkman

Anoop hijacked my "Why did you select Toriyama to design BD's characters" question. I'll get you Anoop! Still, he did let me get the final question in, so I'll let him live for now. :)

Nice...both the 1up and IGN bits were very cool, although the 1up bit was more interesting because it included more talk with Sakaguchi and revealed that Lost Odyssey is a UE3 title. I hope Mistwalker releases pics of both titles soon...

What was the last good project Sakaguchi had an active involvement with? FFIV 14 years ago? Because every FF past V was basically in the hands of other people (mostly Kitase- FFVI, Chrono Trigger, VII, VIII, X, as well as Itou- FFVI and FFIX). We all know the last 'official' project he put his heart and soul in- FFTSW.

Regardless, I'm cheering for the guy. FFTSW really seemed to break him there for a few years- so I'd love to see him have kind of a career resurrection. I'm just not sure if 360 will give him the best possible market for that, though. I await to be proven wrong. :)

What was the last good project Sakaguchi had an active involvement with?

FF6, Chrono Trigger where he was still directly creating some of the event and battle data. Sakaguchi has never tried to be an auteur anyway, he's always considered himself more of a jazz bandleader than a classical composer (an analogy he's made in interviews)

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
It didn't take us long to realize that there was something strange going on with the character, though -- it was blurring with the movement, only the blur was disappearing from certain camera angles. The Mistwalker rep made Shu run, then froze the frame and rotated the camera around. Viewed from the side, the motion blur was most apparent, but from the front, the character looked perfectly sharp.

"We're using 3D motion blur," Sakaguchi explained. "You can see the blur effect only in the direction that Shu is running. If you change the direction, you cannot see the blur."

This description should make sense if you consider what causes character motion blur -- that is, the character's motion. When a character is moving from one side of the screen to another, there is a clear difference between the position of the character in one frame compared to the position in the next. Motion blur should be at its most dramatic in this situation. Turn the camera so that the character is moving in to or out of the camera, and the apparent motion is lessened, with the motion blur all-but disappearing accordingly.

Sounds totally amazing!!!!

Top Bottom