• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you like John Wick go see The Beekeeper

badblue

The Beekeeper, eh?
nicolas cage bees GIF

I'll be checking this out.

bender

What time is it?
Which John Wick? I only liked the original even if it had shitty CGI blood. The trailers for Beekeeper look terrible but I have A-List so I'll check it out.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Yup its in my list, but will wait for it to be available on streaming. I also recommend Sisu. Total badass.

Watched it the other day as well, instantly reminded me of John Wick especially when they called the backend of the bee people to set him as a target.
Enjoyed it quite a bit... bees. :D

Ownage

IMO this is nothing like John Wick. It's more like a Bad Dudes game script, or Commando in some sense. Lower budget, less flash and Statham action that's a little sloppy compared to Reaves' meticulous detail.

Not going to hate on it. It's not bad but don't expect anything close to Wick.

Best part was Phylicia Rashad. The world needs more of her.

Havoc2049

I saw the Beekeeper last Friday and really enjoyed it. Considering some of the headlines these days, it hits a little too close to home 😜. It's Statham's best movie in a long time.

bender

What time is it?
Saw it. I only mostly hated it. The premise and action scenes are solid enough but most of the performances and direction are flat to bad.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
IMO this is nothing like John Wick. It's more like a Bad Dudes game script, or Commando in some sense. Lower budget, less flash and Statham action that's a little sloppy compared to Reaves' meticulous detail.

Not going to hate on it. It's not bad but don't expect anything close to Wick.

Best part was Phylicia Rashad. The world needs more of her.

Sold. I’ll watch anything with Claire Huxtable.

Best mom ever.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Basically, its
manvbee.jpg

Except Statham is the Bee and the Josh Hutcherson is the man who tries to kill him.

There were some good action scenes. I like it when there is an inventive fatality style kill to them, of which The Beekeeper has some. So its a good flick.

It is very much popcorn-Statham though and it doesn't hold a candle to the Crank movies (Which are ADHD as fuck but Chev Chelios is my man) and it is certainly not John Wick, but its a good Statham movie and i am glad he still makes these kinds of romps when he could just star in any Marvel or DCEU movie and rake in the cash.

Alcibiades

Saw it in AVX (large screen premium format) at Santikos Cinema in San Antonio (right before heading over to see Saltburn at a Cinemark).

It was fine and entertaining, nothing too special. Quite ridiculous and full of logical holes, but that's to be expected. You sorta know what you're getting with a Jason Stratham film.

The action scenes were alright, the characters (other than Stratham) and a lot of the dialogue were pretty cringe.

The most disappointing thing is when you see the title "Beekeeper" together with Jason Straham, you imagine a flurry of fun action and deaths involving bees. Yet the bees were only relevant for like 5% of the story at the beginning and quickly tossed aside.

At no point do bees attack, much less kill someone. What a missed opportunity!

One thing that paid off for me was not knowing the title and position of one of the secondary characters in the movie. I hadn't seen any previews or read up on the film. The movie actually does a slow reveal that pays off about midway that wouldn't have worked as well if audiences knew that in advance.

Pejo

I'm 100% in for any Statham movie, but this one was fucking stupid for a whole host of reasons. I had to shut my brain off more for this movie than I did "The Meg 2", which is saying something. The worst part is that the action scenes barely showed enough action to make the price of admission worth it. The only good fight scene was the one with the Australian guy with missing body parts.

I'm a huge fan of Statham and revenge movies, and this one ranks towards the bottom, as sad as I am to admit it.

That said, it's nice to see Phylicia Rashad getting jobs in 2024.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
overrated af lmao. i'd barely give it a 6. Some nice action scenes but the story was absolute idiotic. You guys are high af calling this awesome.

xrnzaaas

Really dumb movie, Jason is playing with godmode turned on and it really hurts since the movie tries to take itself more seriously being a revenge flick. JW at least had an excuse of wearing a bulletproof suit.

If you want to have some fun with good Jason Statham flicks it's best to rewatch the classics - both Crank movies and Transporter 1-2.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Really dumb movie, Jason is playing with godmode turned on and it really hurts since the movie tries to take itself more seriously being a revenge flick. JW at least had an excuse of wearing a bulletproof suit.

If you want to have some fun with good Jason Statham flicks it's best to rewatch the classics - both Crank movies and Transporter 1-2.

John Wick has been playing on tutorial mode with godmode and wallhacks enabled since the very first movie, come on now.

xrnzaaas

John Wick has been playing on tutorial mode with godmode and wallhacks enabled since the very first movie, come on now.
I know John Wick isn't very believable as well, but there are differences. Wick prepared for the encounters (in the first two movies), he was wounded/shot on multiple occasions (you can question if he should able to continue) and in the Beekeeper Statham remains pretty much untouched until the last scenes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom