• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Playstation or Xbox cannot contact an PSN/XBL activation server or equivalent, they will be bricks in the future (highly unlikely)

Dick Jones

Gold Member
HN57BII.jpg

So why are you downplaying the issue that Xbox has?

Both of them are problems but it isn't a big deal in either case.
Lmao how am I downplaying the Xbox issue? I'm saying the Xbox issue should have its own thread because its two completely different problems so I'm downplaying it. You people are insane.

You can't even discuss an issue with Sony or Microsoft on this forum without the fanboys bringing up something bad the other console maker does.

Markio128

Playstation fans are too sensitive. Always trying to come up with the Microsoft equivalent whenever Sony fucks up.

Don't forget to take your midol guys.
Lol - how come it’s taken since now for this to become a Sony fuck up then? Wasn’t this a Sony fuck up when the PS3 was out? Some people are just hoping that if they fling enough shit at Sony, something will eventually stick. It seems really desperate now.

Loxus

There's the Smart Delivery too.

Thank god MS would never do anything sneaky...

So PS console just needs a working cmos battery, no internet required?

You can play PS4 games day one without internet connection.
Same with digital, no internet required.
Only issue I came across with digital, is if the account that brought the game isn't on the console you can't play the digital game anymore.
Anyone that owns a PS4 knows this.

But this cmos news that you can't play games after you replaced the battery seems like FUD when the game never required internet connection in the first place.
Someone should now test replacing the battery without internet to see what happens.
Maybe PS console really just needs a working cmos battery for whatever reason. Probably trophies.

Lmao how am I downplaying the Xbox issue? I'm saying the Xbox issue should have its own thread because its two completely different problems so I'm downplaying it. You people are insane.

You can't even discuss an issue with Sony or Microsoft on this forum without the fanboys bringing up something bad the other console maker does.

I'm not the one calling the mods crazy here. They were the ones that changed the thread.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
If this is an issue many years from now and there is no way to play the games, and enough people care, I'm sure somebody will come up with a work around.

Flutta

Banned
Lol - how come it’s taken since now for this to become a Sony fuck up then? Wasn’t this a Sony fuck up when the PS3 was out? Some people are just hoping that if they fling enough shit at Sony, something will eventually stick. It seems really desperate now.
They really want that Mattrick fuck up to happen to Sony so bad its embarrassing.

why dont you Xbox fanboys go enjoy rentpass instead of being ”concerned” with Sony 🤣

reinking

Gold Member
Playstation fans are too sensitive. Always trying to come up with the Microsoft equivalent whenever Sony fucks up.

Seriously? Have you not been paying attention to the FUD recently? It has been one thing after another that ends up being way overblown or disproven. I own both consoles and a fan of both. However, with certain social media accounts spreading FUD the last few years it has gotten ridiculous at this point. I am not sure what has team green so ramped up the last year or so.

Zog

Banned
Seriously? Have you not been paying attention to the FUD recently? It has been one thing after another that ends up being way overblown or disproven. I own both consoles and a fan of both. However, with certain social media accounts spreading FUD the last few years it has gotten ridiculous at this point. I am not sure what has team green so ramped up the last year or so.
I've been paying attention and I see that a PS5 thread got modified to include an Xbox failing because Playstation fans hate criticism.

How often does that happen with other instances of whataboutism?

I dunno. I don't keep up with this behind the scenes stuff.

Their typical lifespan is anywhere between five and 10 years, or longer in certain circumstances. PlayStation hardware, including the PS3, the PS4, and reportedly the PS5, uses CMOS batteries for this purpose. As such, they're all vulnerable to CMOS batteries going bad and the consequences of that.

And yet PS3 Store lasted 15 years. Some CR battery were dead in PS4s and just switch the battery and continue playing. PS4 servers will be up probably the whole PS5 generation.

Markio128

I've been paying attention and I see that a PS5 thread got modified to include an Xbox failing because Playstation fans hate criticism.

How often does that happen with other instances of whataboutism?
Both sides are as bad as each other, but there has to be some balance. The stories of late all seem to be how amazing game pass is and how shit Sony are. I can’t wait until a decent game comes out so that we can discuss that instead haha.

Zog

Banned
Both sides are as bad as each other, but there has to be some balance. The stories of late all seem to be how amazing game pass is and how shit Sony are. I can’t wait until a decent game comes out so that we can discuss that instead haha.
So people like Gamepass and don't consider PS Now to be an equal service. Gamepass is making waves and Sony probably needs to recognize that.

Mr Moose

That's great but how often are titles modified due to whataboutism?
Do you want someone to make a thread about the Xbox problem rather than keep it in one thread? It would probably get closed because this thread already exists. Titles get changed all the time when new info is brought up.

This thread:
tenor.gif
I am watching episode 20 of Jujutsu Kaisen right now lol.

dano1

A Sheep
And yet PS3 Store lasted 15 years. Some CR battery were dead in PS4s and just switch the battery and continue playing. PS4 servers will be up probably the whole PS5 generation.
No I’m with you. That’s what I explained earlier. Just replace the battery and all is good.
People are turning this into a CNN news story!
Sony hasn’t screwed me over yet and I don’t expect anything less. People need to relax.

Loxus

So the CBomb shifted sides?

Now you at least can fix on PS consoles but not on Xbox consoles.

Like I said the usual FUD reaction that hit yourself back lol
I'm waiting for the Mods to change the title to,
"For PlayStation, just change the battery - For Xbox, just connect to the internet."

Well shit, I have both the ps5 and series x, just taking Ls all over the place.
Something there's a chance you'll have to worry about 25 years from now. How will we sleep tonight?

I'm guessing in a couple decades when Xbox Series and PS5 support has ended and the batteries die we still have access to those games through whatever consoles we are using at the time.

I swear people these days search so hard to find anything that can be seen as negative and just run crazy with it.

RockOn

Replacing the battery won’t do anything if the psn servers are gone.

This is still like a over decade down the road even if they laugh and don’t update this. Most people will have moved on by the time they shut off ps5 online services.
Exactly, alot of 'ifs & buts'. if Steam or Epic stores go bust, ther would be alot of digital libraries lost

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yeah, we all know that Sony would never close any digital stores! Oh wait....
It is not related to the store but to the same core PSN auth server they have used for all their consoles, so yeah unrelated things but if you squint hard enough and wish it really badly they become one and the same…

Kilau

Something there's a chance you'll have to worry about 25 years from now. How will we sleep tonight?

I'm guessing in a couple decades when Xbox Series and PS5 support has ended and the batteries die we still have access to those games through whatever consoles we are using at the time.

I swear people these days search so hard to find anything that can be seen as negative and just run crazy with it.
I’m not as concerned as my post may imply lol.

Zog

Banned
Everyones jumping the gun, Sony maybe doing something else in ther place
Jim Ryan can't understand why anyone would want to play old games so why would there be something else in their place? Sony believes in generations ya know and past generations don't matter, apparently.

It is not related to the store but to the same core PSN auth server they have used for all their consoles, so yeah unrelated things but if you squint hard enough and wish it really badly they become one and the same…
RockOn used a bad example. Talk to RockOn about it.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Sony believes in generations ya know and past generations don't matter, apparently.
… and keep misquoting this… why not, but hey the thread backfire can keep on burning ;).

I was talking about what you say hence I replied to you. He just said that for purely digital platforms there would not be the disc fallback to help you… so?

Last edited:

GHG

The online service should not have any tie to the physical PS4 discs that I purchased. Yet Sony chose to intertwine physical PS4 games with a cmos/Internet check-in. It’s shitty. It’s unlikely to be an issue but still it’s shitty.

I haven’t heard if Nintendo does the same crap, but it wouldn’t surprise me.

For digital games it absolutely makes sense from a piracy prevention perspective but for physical games they need to make sure the requirement is removed in case the cmos battery needs to be replaced in the future.

As I am a Game Pass Ultimate subscriber I already gladly pay 15 bucks a month – it's worth it IMO! So the doubling the gold price wasn't effecting me in any way. Despite that, I was one of the people in that thread to call them out for it and they listened and didn't went forward with it the next morning. Xbox at least is listening.

Paid online was introduced by them. Yes. But the service was and is hands down better then what PS offers. The money they earn went into investing in their infrastructure. Now they have both paid online and while PS+ earns a lot of money none of that money is being invested in making PSN a better place. Every time there is a comparison between Xbox Live and PSN it's Xbox Live that wins pretty easily in the comparison.

So why wouldn't I trust them? 90% of my digitally and physically bought games from the Xbox360 gen are BC and play better then ever on the new consoles. We also get improvements for those for free all the time. They also value me as a customer, with MS Rewards I make close to 300 $ a year in giftcards. I'm more then happy with being in their ecosystem, why wouldn't I.

What does PS offer me?

Imagine coming into a thread like this acting all concerned about game preservation but then going on to promote gamepass of all things.

You're lost man.

Oh no, back to the drawing board. Time to find something new to fabricate/exaggerate.

Don't let GFWL hit you on your way out.

Last edited:
Exactly, alot of 'ifs & buts'. if Steam or Epic stores go bust, ther would be alot of digital libraries lost
Difference is that all my Steam games are sitting on an HDD safely archived...because...ya know...I'm actually allowed to access the file system and back up my files. Digital distribution itself was never the problem it was digital distribution in walled gardens.

Top Bottom