• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If a sit down restaurant denies you a simple special order, do you stop going?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
If you don't care about what's in your burger than it doesn't matter which restaurant you go to. So there's no reason to go to this particular place.

Pretty much any fast casual burger establishment will have burgers with eggs on the menu. Why that guy couldn't go there I don't know.

Hero

I worked at high end restaurants I didn't dine at them.

My previous posts have no relevance on my opinions regarding this situation.

Regardless if you worked at them or dined at them doesn't alter the way you came across in this thread and especially knowing your history now, doesn't change the fact that you are a loser.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I'd rather not start down the slippery slope. "You did it for that table! Why won't you honor my request!?"

Stick to the specific case at hand, please.

Giving the guy an egg on a night based around eggs is not a slippery situation.

Tell him you'll do it in just this specific case, and not to expect it going forward.

Costa Kid

I think it's a big deal if there are like 10 different salads on the menu and they won't make you a green salad 😔

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
The GM telling the guest that the eggs were only available for the special is plausible. It is more likely though that the BoH was getting slammed on the line and the chef didn't want to affect the order times to appease a single guest.

Also the guest seems like a prick

Hence him being offered a refund cause of complaining.

Regardless if you worked at them or dined at them doesn't alter the way you came across in this thread and especially knowing your history now, doesn't change the fact that you are a loser.

Take your passive aggressive comments to a PM, this thread isn't about me. Though I won't engage you.

Or continue insulting me, that's okay too!

I wanted an ice latte at a cafeteria. They only had hot. I asked if they could just put ice in the hot latte and even offered to pay extra. They denied the request. Haven't gone back since. I don't think I was being unreasonable. It's like asking for extra ice for your glass of coke, which no restaurant will deny you.

border

The GM telling the guest that the eggs were only available for the special is plausible. It is more likely though that the BoH was getting slammed on the line and the chef didn't want to affect the order times to appease a single guest.

Yeah, I suspect that there were extenuating circumstances in the kitchen. Either they were about to run out of eggs, or they were just slammed and the head chef said NO because it would only complicate matters further. The fact that they were willing to comp an entire tab over an egg is not management incompetence, but just indicative of how dire the situation was.

It's either that or the customer was known to be rude/abusive/bad tipper, and nobody really cared about pissing him off.

border

I wanted an ice latte at a cafeteria. They only had hot. I asked if they could just put ice in the hot latte and even offered to pay extra. They denied the request. Haven't gone back since. I don't think I was being unreasonable. It's like asking for extra ice for your glass of coke, which no restaurant will deny you.

Why not just ask for extra ice on the side?

Throwing ice into a hot drink is just going to make it watered-down as fuck. Chances are they just don't want people coming back and complaining that their drink tastes like crap.

That said, are they actually making lattes? Steaming milk and pulling espresso shots? It shouldn't be terribly hard for them to pour cold, un-steamed milk over espresso and throw in some ice. If their "lattes" are just some batched out pre-made bullshit like at a gas station then I understand a little more.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Stick to the specific case at hand, please.

Giving the guy an egg on a night based around eggs is not a slippery situation.

Tell him you'll do it in just this specific case, and not to expect it going forward.

I was referring to the slippery slope of other customers making special requests.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I suspect that there were extenuating circumstances in the kitchen. Either they were about to run out of eggs, or they were just slammed and the head chef said NO because it would only complicate matters further. The fact that they were willing to comp an entire tab over an egg is not management incompetence, but just indicative of how dire the situation was.

It's either that or the customer was known to be rude/abusive/bad tipper, and nobody really cared about pissing him off.

That was exactly my thought. Most people in this thread don't understand how a kitchen operates, and how modifications can affect the flow of orders.

I'm also quite in favor to the opinion that the guest was a straight up dick despite being a regular.

Throwing ice into a hot drink is just going to make it watered-down as fuck. Chances are they just don't want people coming back and complaining that their drink tastes like crap.

That said, are they actually making lattes? Steaming milk and pulling espresso shots? It shouldn't be terribly hard for them to pour cold, un-steamed milk over espresso and throw in some ice. If their "lattes" are just some batched out pre-made bullshit like at a gas station then I understand a little more.

8-Top all order Cappacinos, very sad JPop.

Get to the espresso machine and find out that the steamer is out of order. Tell guests no go on the Cappacinos.

Keikakudori

Freshly brewed, but the waiter refused the ice. I think he just couldn't think outside the box.

I typically don't ask for modified orders, as I don't have any allergies or particular dietary restrictions. I think that there are points where people ask too much, and restaurants may not be equipped to alter meals as they want.

That said, adding an egg on a burger doesn't seem to be that point IMO. If you're willing to comp the dude a $71 meal, just buy the waffle and egg set and take the egg off of it. Tell him it's an exception and add a note on the menu that alterations are not allowed if it's too hard to do that normally. The story doesn't really add up to me.

Apt101

I probably would, but I wouldn't make a big deal out of it. I've worked in several restaurants so I understand that managers must sometimes enforce rather trivial restrictions that are out of their control (such as the owner now allowing them to alter a recipe, or not use eggs for anything other than dishes A, B, and C). So I won't get annoyed with the waitress or manager, but if they're being asked to make those kinds of little restrictions, I probably won't eat there again (or go less often).

border

I'm also quite in favor to the opinion that the guest was a straight up dick despite being a regular.

Yeah, the fact that they denied a relatively simple request indicates more to me that the customer was a known asshole or creeper. People will bend the rules for friendly regulars or good tippers, but say no to people who have been openly hostile in the past. If the guy wants to quit patronizing the restaurant altogether over a special order they couldn't fulfill, I suspect he falls into the category of "problem customer".

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Again, the guy cooking the eggs was going to cook another egg anyway. If the customer had said, "fine I'll just order the waffle special, then take that egg and put it on the burger myself", would they have denied him the egg?

Of course they wouldn't, which is why it's silly to deny him the egg.

Assuming this is serious... do you know what putting ice in a hot latte would do?

Assuming this is serious... do you know what putting ice in a hot latte would do?

Assuming you make the latte extra concentrated to begin with? Nothing much. I do it all the time to make iced lattes or iced hot cocoa.

crimsondynamics, just ask for a cup of ice on the side next time and stir in a few cubes at a time until it is iced. It'll be watered down as heck though. I usually use cold milk to temper my (what amounts to) extra concentrated hot drink syrup before adding ice.

I get what you're going for though. A family friend had a glass of OJ explode on him once because they poured an ice cold liquid into a glass that was fresh out of the dishwasher. Glass and gradual temperature changes is usually okay. Glass and sudden temperature changes is usually shrapnel.

Assuming you make the latte extra concentrated to begin with? Nothing much. I do it all the time to make iced lattes or iced hot cocoa.

crimsondynamics, just ask for a cup of ice on the side next time and stir in a few cubes at a time until it is iced. It'll be watered down as heck though. I usually use cold milk to temper my (what amounts to) extra concentrated hot drink syrup before adding ice.

I get what you're going for though. A family friend had a glass of OJ explode on him once because they poured an ice cold liquid into a glass that was fresh out of the dishwasher. Glass and gradual temperature changes is usually okay. Glass and sudden temperature changes is usually shrapnel.

I understand that hot glass can shatter when subjected to extreme cold. That can be avoided by putting in the ice first, then slowly pour in the hot liquid. Also, glass will normally shatter if it's hot without liquid, then cold liquid is poured in. If there is already a hot liquid in tempered glass, you need a lot of ice to drastically cool the glass, for which you only put in a few at a time. Pouring hot liquid in normal glass isn't a good idea anyway, because the same shattering can occur due to extreme temperature.

UPDATE: The restaurant sent me an email!

(Hillstone is the parent company)

K7lOXzd.jpg

Vagabundo

I've never had a restaurant refuse straight forward requests or changes; swap a sauce or do something a different way.

Maybe a cultural thing? Ireland here, although when travelling most places seem eager to accommodate.

Escargo

My friend wanted an sunny side egg on his rice dish at a korean place. They charged him $3 and it was the saddest egg.

Kule

Not exactly the same scenario but I used to go to a really chill pub then one day I went for breakfast and it was a full english deal but they were out of sausages and two were supposed to be included.. I thought this was fair as it was busy so I asked for an extra two eggs instead and they flat out refused. They expected me to pay full price without the sausages which is kind of crazy. I ended up going to another place nearby but it was a weird event.

Apdiddy

I wouldn't make a special order in the first place (unless of course I have dietary and religious concerns). If it's not on the menu, they can't make it. It's not Burger King. I can't have it my way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom