• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ICE deathwatch: Hyundai motor group shutters combustion engine R&D division, reassigns engineers to EVs

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I hope that gets coupled with the proliferation of self driving sooner rather than later, because half the drivers on the road in the US are already psychotic, homicidal, PMS maniacs, etc. We will definitely see an increase in accidents when every incompetent moron can go from 0 to 60 in 3 seconds.
survive-funny.gif

n0razi

No skill required. Just put foot down and the car does the rest. Perfect fit for the Zoomer generation.

Yes, because 99% of daily traffic driving requires "skill"

Most of local drivers I know are switching to EVs for their DD and keeping a weekend track car for "skill"

There's a reason we have things like microwave ovens

Last edited:

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Not sure how BEVs are any easier to drive than normal automatic cars? Maybe if most were still driving manuals, but that’s hardly the case in North America and also becoming increasingly less common in Europe.

Tams

Yes, because 99% of daily traffic driving requires "skill"

Most of local drivers I know are switching to EVs for their DD and keeping a weekend track car for "skill"

There's a reason we have things like microwave ovens
If you eat you a dinner that's been cooked in a microwave oven everyday, then not only are you nutritionally doing a little damage, but just doing yourself in terms of cultural enrichment no good at all. What a terrible example (well, great for my argument).

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
that's crazy.
What about all the battery weight, waste?
What about charging? The electricity needs to come from somewhere... not every country got a lot of green energy... in which case, You probably need more coal to charge the car, rather than just use fuel to run the engine.
Anyway - I can't imagine how it would look for everyone to have EV.
We have 1 charging station in front of Ikea near me... and none in my city.
Even if there were 50 charging stations in front of big stores, that's still a drop. And not everyone has a garage to charge their stuff

that's crazy.
What about charging? The electricity needs to come from somewhere... not every country got a lot of green energy... in which case, You probably need more coal to charge the car, rather than just use fuel to run the engine.
Even if there were 50 charging stations in front of big stores, that's still a drop. And not everyone has a garage to charge their stuff
Coal is quickly becoming obsolete, Natural Gas and Nuclear are becoming the clean energies, at least here in the US. The major energy companies where I live are slowly shuttering all of their coal powered plants. Should be complete by 2025 after their newest power plant opening. But we've had 125 years of the ICE, so clearly we aren't quite there. It's moves like what Hyundai is doing that will increase the amount of charging stations there will be. You have to start somewhere.

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Lots of ignorance in here, luckily EVs are better in every single way and the industry has already shifted.

JayK47

Lots of ignorance in here, luckily EVs are better in every single way and the industry has already shifted.
I agree. There is a lot of ignorance in here. Maybe this will help. The first car appears to explode in this video.

Another one. I didn't do a very thorough search, so I am sure there are plenty.

I would love EVs to be an option, not the only option. I do not want any government mandates, buy backs (cash for clunkers), etc. Let people decide what they want to own and drive.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
I agree. There is a lot of ignorance in here. Maybe this will help. The first car appears to explode in this video.

I would love EVs to be an option, not the only option. I do not want any government mandates, buy backs (cash for clunkers), etc. Let people decide what they want to own and drive.

🙄 There are 100k ICE car fires a year in the US alone.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Yea, gas powered cars never catch fire.

Wildest part of that China video to me is how long it took the guy next to him to move his truck. He waited until he was literally on fire to be like yea maybe I should throw this in reverse.

JayK47

Gas cars do not tend to start on fire just sitting there cold in your garage. You are going to plug your electric car in while it is parked and that is a very likely time that it will catch fire. If a mandate occurs, there will be a rush to make cars and install chargers. Also a cause for concern, since rushing anything will cause more issues. If you love EVs, your in luck. Because the future is looking very EV.

jsnake19

Lol. The US already has shit for electric infrastructure...adding a 100,000,000 EV's will surely work in the long run.....most likely, the price of electricity and EV's themselves becomes so high that most households can only afford one vehicle if they are lucky and everyone is forced to public transit.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
that's crazy.
the chip shortage is only the beginning. there is going to be a massive shortage of batteries and power in the future. everything must scale up and i dont think we are doing a great job at it.

Uhtred

Well to tell you all the truth I’m really bummed about this the end of actual real engines in our cars breaks my heart. As someone who really loves driving the sound of the engine exhaust to feel that you get it’s one of the great joys of life.

I will probably go into EV kicking in screaming more than a decade from now, unless they make great strides into an actual feel of the drive because right now it sucks in my opinion and this rush towards ending gas engines sucks I hate it.

In California the center of hypocrisy for the entire world we are pushing for EV technology when we can’t even support the demand that we have currently over the summer when we have rolling blackouts every single day the state is a joke it’s run by jokesters and con artist and this world this country I should say is not ready for this EV revolution that they’re so quick to jump on it’s a goddamn sham

Last edited:

JayK47

Good grief. My concern is the car starting on fire while it is in my garage charging. Typically not an issue with a gas car.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Good grief. My concern is the car starting on fire while it is in my garage charging. Typically not an issue with a gas car.

Better not use any electronics in your house with batteries then. Charge your iPhone outside.

Well to tell you all the truth I’m really bummed about this the end of actual real engines in our cars breaks my heart. As someone who really loves driving the sound of the engine exhaust to feel that you get it’s one of the great joys of life.

I will probably go into EV kicking in screaming more than a decade from now, unless they make great strides into an actual feel of the drive because right now it sucks in my opinion and this rush towards ending gas engines sucks I hate it.

In California the center of hypocrisy for the entire world we are pushing for EV technology when we can’t even support the demand that we have currently over the summer when we have rolling blackouts every single day the state is a joke it’s run by jokesters and con artist and this world this country I should say is not ready for this EV revolution that they’re so quick to jump on it’s a goddamn sham

Porsche actually has a patent for a fake exhaust with fake exhaust sounds.

Cyberpunkd

Prices in europe are cheaper with electric cars simple because governments don't tax them that much on everything and even subsidizes them. Petrol for your car isn't something that costs a lot of money, its the tax on it that costs a lot of money. U can bet we will see decrease in electric cars the moment it get taxed in the same way which it will the more adoption will take place. As they will want to have the same income either way.

That's the only reason we have people buying electric cars to start with, The same way why everybody bought a hybrid but never used the hybrid part because tax.

The cost depends on the government, not on the technology.

U can already see this happening currently with solar panels. I would make 11 euro's a month simple by having them on my roof so ordered a whole bunch of them because why not. However now delivering back with laws changing as more people get them on there roof which results in energy company's probably saw a massive reduction in energy consumption to the point they actually ahve to pay you, and lobby there way to the goverment that decide that rates are going down massively to the point its no longer worth it.

So what really changed here?, goverment. We got currently a 45-46% tax on petrol. U can bet when electric cars become the norm subsidizing is gone + 50% tax gets put on everything electricity.

Cheaper is only a thing when u are a niche, not when u are the majority.
Perfect post, couldn’t have said it better myself. Don’t buy an EV because it’s cheaper, the government will make sure over the long term the prices will equalise.

Besides, it’s not like having a car is viable in major cities in Europe anymore - driving in Paris is a fucking nightmare.

Tams

Coal is quickly becoming obsolete, Natural Gas and Nuclear are becoming the clean energies, at least here in the US. The major energy companies where I live are slowly shuttering all of their coal powered plants. Should be complete by 2025 after their newest power plant opening. But we've had 125 years of the ICE, so clearly we aren't quite there. It's moves like what Hyundai is doing that will increase the amount of charging stations there will be. You have to start somewhere.
Coal is absolutely not becoming obsolete in a large number of countries, especially ones that are seeing economic and population growth. In fact, itcs what is largely fuelling them.

The world is bigger than just the US, mate.

Last edited:

gundalf

That´s a suicide then. They´re still making 90% of their revenue with ICEs.

65+ million sold cars in total or more, of which 5ish are BEVs.

Nah that's not suicide, Mercedes did the same with delegating their bread-and-butter RnD to Renault/Nissan so that they can concentrate on EVs and they are doing just fine.
ICE cars will stay mainstream for the next 2 decades, so now is the perfect time to jump ship and just deliver in the meantime small increments on ICE models with some PHEV sprinkled in.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

Ya something I learned that when it comes to these changes in industry they seem to have a S-curve transition. Because you get exponential growth in one direction but because policies also adjust this also causes a rapid decline in the old. So it's a two fold acceleration. One going up rapidly but the old crashing simultaneously.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Ya something I learned that when it comes to these changes in industry they seem to have a S-curve transition. Because you get exponential growth in one direction but because policies also adjust this also causes a rapid decline in the old. So it's a two fold acceleration. One going up rapidly but the old crashing simultaneously.

Yep, it already happened in Norway. EVs are more desirable products, once economies of scale will put the price of an EV below ICE there is literally no reason to buy ICE. The only forces trying to keep ICE alive are the legacy car makers because 90% of their business is still ICE and the transition is brutal for them. But yeah the transition can be insanely quick, look at Nokia. They had a record year right before the iPhone came out and in 1-2 years no one wanted one any more.

Last edited:
Coal is absolutely not becoming absolete in a large number of countries, especially ones that are seeing economic and population growth. In fact, itcs what is largely fuelling them.

I’m well aware but again, you have to start somewhere. Throwing in the towel isn’t an option.

Let's also remember that fossil fuel fires and spills destroy mass eco systems on a yearly basis and fracking poisons a lot of people. All the more reason to go Electric.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Perfect post, couldn’t have said it better myself. Don’t buy an EV because it’s cheaper, the government will make sure over the long term the prices will equalise.

Besides, it’s not like having a car is viable in major cities in Europe anymore - driving in Paris is a fucking nightmare.

Don't worry electric is the future, not because people care for it, or its better, but because governments demand it.

In 2030 carmakers must reduce emissions of new cars by 55%, rising to 100% in 2035, the European Commission has proposed. T&E said interim CO2 targets from 2025 will be needed to ensure carmakers ramp up production of emissions-free vehicles earlier, driving down costs and generating more consumer buy-in – just like Henry Ford did a century ago. In the last 18 months, the EU’s 2020-21 targets have sent electric car sales soaring, allowing many Europeans to buy their first EV. But T&E warned that a weak CO2 target of -50% for vanmakers in 2030 will do little to drive electrification of the fastest growing road polluter.

However for us as people will electric be better at the end then petrol for price wise? lol nope aint happening.

Last edited:

Tams

I’m well aware but again, you have to start somewhere. Throwing in the towel isn’t an option.

Let's also remember that fossil fuel fires and spills destroy mass eco systems on a yearly basis and fracking poisons a lot of people. All the more reason to go Electric.
I didn't say anything about throwing in the towel, but just talking about what would be good is as good as doing nothing.

There are commitments under COP to help fund greener energy generation in LEDCs (or whatever nomenclature is in vogue now), but really it's not enough and if past COP agreements are anything to go by, not all of that money will appear. And that's not even factoring in the changes that money can't buy that these countries, that want their opportunity to economically grow, will need to make.

I didn't say anything about throwing in the towel, but just talking about what would be good is as good as doing nothing.

There are commitments under COP to help fund greener energy generation in LEDCs (or whatever nomenclature is in vogue now), but really it's not enough and if past COP agreements are anything to go by, not all of that money will appear. And that's not even factoring in the changes that money can't buy that these countries, that want their opportunity to economically grow, will need to make.
You didn’t, but you also didn’t acknowledge that part of my statement.

Either way we will be battling big oil companies until they can find a way to profit off of clean energy the same way big cigarette companies started buying vape companies. Chances are if more car companies such as Ford, GM , Hyundai, Tesla, and Toyota only sell EVs a radical shift needs to occur and will occur. But even if every country doesn’t follow suit, getting low or no emission vehicles in the hands of the majority will significantly help the planet as opposed to staying stagnant.

Chances are, big oil will go after big energy and suddenly the funds will start appearing.

gundalf

Next 2 decades? Youtube comments are not even that uninformed..

Just to give some perspective, the Golf 5 was released 2003 and nearly 2 decades later its still a modern car by today standards (heated seats, cruise control, automatic headlights, automatic windshield wipers, dual zone climate, coming-home/leaving-home lights, etc.). For most people there is not much reason to "upgrade" from such an old car and will remain so for many years to come.

I believe in EVs but change in infrastructure and people is slow, that is a fact of live.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
If you eat you a dinner that's been cooked in a microwave oven everyday, then not only are you nutritionally doing a little damage, but just doing yourself in terms of cultural enrichment no good at all. What a terrible example (well, great for my argument).

Microwave cooking does not effect a foods nutrition any more so then other types of cooking.

Sosokrates

Never said it did. But you do know what most people use a microwave for, right? It ain't cooking proper meals.

People also eat unhealthy foods using a frying pan and oven, so I dont quite understand why you thinking microwave cooking is nutritionaly inferior.

Tams

People also eat unhealthy foods using a frying pan and oven, so I dont quite understand why you thinking microwave cooking is nutritionaly inferior.
No shit. But a microwave is not a good tool for cooking a healthy meal and encourages eating ready-made food. It also does not produce as good food, leading to unsatisfactory meals that discourage people from cooking. Trust me, I've had Christmas Dinner cooked in a microwave before and it was shit.

So back on topic: microwaves are not quality machines for the job and require little skill, and nor are and do electric vehicles. Although I will admit EVs are better in some ways, but skill is hardly required.

Furthermore, I think it's safe to infer that comprehension and logical thought are your strong points going by the bizarre way you went off at me in the AMD thread.

nocsi

Coal is absolutely not becoming obsolete in a large number of countries, especially ones that are seeing economic and population growth. In fact, itcs what is largely fuelling them.

Coal *needs* to become obsolete. It’s possible one day we can live in a world where the human race isn’t actively polluting the planet but also making itself stupider. This past week I had 3 trucks “roll coal” on my tesla for no reason. Can’t blame them since lead poisoning is known to reduce intelligence.

But really, if a society is not sustainable without having to dig up and burn trash found from the ground, then things should be reevaluated. Sounds harsh but the staple point for the 2020s is going to be the mass migration of populations due to climate change and people living in places they shouldn’t have been living in. Fossil fuels & coal allowed humans to colonize illogical places rather than… iunno building a population next to a river where you can build sustainable hydro and have fresh water?

Fuck gas, oil and coal.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Electric cars are appreciated, it’s human’s responsibility to stop the horrible global warming events.

Sosokrates

No shit. But a microwave is not a good tool for cooking a healthy meal and encourages eating ready-made food. It also does not produce as good food, leading to unsatisfactory meals that discourage people from cooking. Trust me, I've had Christmas Dinner cooked in a microwave before and it was shit.

So back on topic: microwaves are not quality machines for the job and require little skill, and nor are and do electric vehicles. Although I will admit EVs are better in some ways, but skill is hardly required.

Furthermore, I think it's safe to infer that comprehension and logical thought are your strong points going by the bizarre way you went off at me in the AMD thread.

This is just not true.

You should listen to famous chef Dave Chang talk about Microwaves and he uses them a lot too.

He had a scientist on his podcast busting myths about cooking with microwaves.

MachRc

Are they walking it back now?

Senior Group Manager at Hyundai Motor America, Michael Stewart, said:

"Hyundai Motor Group can confirm that it is not halting the development of its engines following recent media speculation. The Group is dedicated to providing a strong portfolio of powertrains to global customers, which includes a combination of highly efficient engines and zero emissions electric motors."

Top Bottom