• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think Kojima made me reevaluate my stance on physical vs digital ownership of media

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Totally. And I love Kojima for saying it.

Over the last five or so years, I've slowly begun treating anything I own digitally, as the rental it is. A convenient, and minimalist-enabling way to enjoy things, but no substitute for the physical copy.

So, I've bought multiple copies of the things I love; a digital version and a collectible physical version. Things like Metal Gear Solid HD collection (speaking of), The Simpsons Season 3 (for censorship reasons specifically), or my comics.
This might sound a little overboard, but I actually have very small, curated physical collections, that take up little space. I own much more stuff digitally, but that includes a lot of stuff I'm not really attached to. Stuff that, were I to lose access to, I'd just shrug my shoulders and move on. They are long-term rentals in my mind.

I actually find that between the two, I have the best of both worlds.

Last edited:

Pachi72

But the physical media deteriorates eventually ,nothing lasts forever. Also all these consoles with physical media disks like
Blu-ray,eventually down the road the drive will stop reading discs. You also got diskt rott to worry about. Look at how many old consoles like the Sega Saturn and Dreamcast are using a different method to reading discs like mode from Terraonion. You cannot depend on physical media.

Last edited:
I was always a physical guy. But now before getting a PS5 i think ill switch to all digital. I mean there's so many examples where the game without a patch is horrendous. So 10 years down the line whats the point when all they gonna be is boxes collecting dust that i cant even play without a day one patch or even worse, cant have access to dlc because its been wiped out. Driveclub for example. I actually had a season pass and all the DLC but for other reasons I made a brand new PSN account and now all I have is the shell of DC, cant download any dlc,tracks,bikes that was given to you before over time for free.

Last edited:
If you place sentimental attachment on videogames you definitely should be pro physical. I just don’t give a fuck about that or ownership

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
It's true but we also need to remember that physical stuff dies eventually too.

Digital stuff is fine but we need to not all buy from one source and need to encourage stores and methods that deal with restoration and retention in an ethical way.

There are advantages with digital over physical? Convenience maybe and less clutter perhaps? I can’t really think of much else. These companies want to have full control and don’t want people to own their games. Unfortunately, that’s where we are heading and so many gamers are fine with that and even fully embrace it all in the name of “convenience”. Scary times indeed.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I think this is major paranoia. If we get to that place, either there will be a revolt back to physical media or the world will be broken to the point that video games don't matter anymore. Digital is likely here to stay.

Tommi84

This is what has been said for years, but only when KOJIMA said it, you believed? Well, fine I guess. At least you realised this.

Keihart

Well yeah, i think that is a fear of most people that was there when the transition started. But on the other hand, the convenience(space, price and availability) of digital is too much to reject against the low probability of not having access anymore to some content.
I've chosen to pick carefully what i want to keep in physical vs what i'm just interested in consuming, is not even a collectionist thing, but the fact that it might become harder to access in a future like Kojima points out.

This is why GOG's drm free games are such a big deal to some and i try to support it when possible.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
He's not wrong.

They're trying to do the same thing to you with subscription services.

How many people still use cartridges to play their Sega games? How many people replay games from 10+ years ago?

Anything physical becomes a huge bother as soon as you want to move to a different place. Digital is way more convenient.
...I was playing KI Gold with a friend like 2 days ago.

Last edited:

rnlval

After witnessing the uptake of social media censorship in the last few years, I have become more aware of the negative impact of censorship and how it affects me. If you disagree with the negative impact of censorship, then stop reading this thread, you’ll always be happy.

In the linked tweet, Kojima is describing a future in which digital content is censored retroactively to fit the ideals of the predominant culture forces of the future, and this concept made me very afraid.

In the past decade, I’ve preferred digital over physical due to the many benefits that digital formats offer over physical, however, retroactive censorship had never been a consideration in this argument up until today. All of the digital content I “own“ is tied to publishers that again and again have caved to the demands of the dominant cultural voices in pursuit of bigger profits.

While nothing that these publishers have done so far really bothers me (I actually embrace some of this change), due to the evolution of society, the time will come when these publishers and I disagree at a fundamental level.

Obviously, if this scenario occurs, I can opt to not to consume future digital content, but what if the option to consume the digital content I enjoy, the classics of today, is suddenly taken away? What if every digital copy of Halo is suddenly modified to use call the main character “Prime Officer”?

What do you think GAF?

Censorship from certain companies' HQ located in the blue states already exceeded my country's national censorship rating regime. There are inconsistencies when allowing Hollywood "50 Shades of Grey" like content while banning the non-Hollywood equivalent.

SenkiDala

You have a bad way of doing it and a good way. Bad ways is just pulling the episode/movie and the good way is just putting a disclaimer at the front of the film.

Also did it before this current landscape. Disney do it quite often and its probably easier now and more frequently. I rather a disclaimer but I am not too fussed honestly.

I don't think physical is the absolute solution for this. It happens on DVDs/BRs, etc. Like in the Star Wars movies, some Disney movies, they all are edited on physical discs too. : / So what will we do ? Keep our first print DVD or VHS when a 4KBR version is out? Or a 4K digital version? I dunno, censorship sucks in 100% of cases and I hate it but it seems to be a problem for digital and physical releases too.

Also about game on discs, well for exemple would you play a vanilla Witcher 3 or Bloodborne ? Now 99,99% of games requires to be updated, for some of them it's even mendatory or it won't lauch, so digital or not... : /

Calverz

I’m fully digital on Xbox. If I suddenly lost access to these games. I’d get over it. Lost like tears in rain
Blade Runner Film GIF

reksveks

I dunno, censorship sucks in 100% of cases and I hate it but it seems to be a problem for digital and physical releases too.
Yeah, it's nothing to do with the distribution method. I don't agree that 'censorship' as people on this thread defines it, sucks in 100% of the time, at least not to the same concern as others. I don't think there is anything wrong with removing racist tropes that some of the early cartoons had. I also don't see anything harmful in removing scenes that the modern audience wouldn’t laugh at in the current times. The cutting of the casting couch outtake in toy story 2 makes no difference to my enjoyment of that movie so I am not concerned that it was removed.

Again I would probably add a disclaimer if possible.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I don't think physical is the absolute solution for this. It happens on DVDs/BRs, etc. Like in the Star Wars movies, some Disney movies, they all are edited on physical discs too. : / So what will we do ? Keep our first print DVD or VHS when a 4KBR version is out? Or a 4K digital version? I dunno, censorship sucks in 100% of cases and I hate it but it seems to be a problem for digital and physical releases too.

Also about game on discs, well for exemple would you play a vanilla Witcher 3 or Bloodborne ? Now 99,99% of games requires to be updated, for some of them it's even mendatory or it won't lauch, so digital or not... : /
If we are talking about games like vanilla Bloodborne... Sure. Longer load times and some bugs. Better than no Bloodborne.
They do sell goty with dlc for Bloodborne. It is probably patched

SpokkX

I does really not matter what you or anyone, even Kojima says: digital will take over

there are alternatives for owning even in the digital space. Much content is downloadable and usable offline - store on an usb drive etc

besides - noone lives forever

anothertech

After witnessing the uptake of social media censorship in the last few years, I have become more aware of the negative impact of censorship and how it affects me. If you disagree with the negative impact of censorship, then stop reading this thread, you’ll always be happy.

In the linked tweet, Kojima is describing a future in which digital content is censored retroactively to fit the ideals of the predominant culture forces of the future, and this concept made me very afraid.

In the past decade, I’ve preferred digital over physical due to the many benefits that digital formats offer over physical, however, retroactive censorship had never been a consideration in this argument up until today. All of the digital content I “own“ is tied to publishers that again and again have caved to the demands of the dominant cultural voices in pursuit of bigger profits.

While nothing that these publishers have done so far really bothers me (I actually embrace some of this change), due to the evolution of society, the time will come when these publishers and I disagree at a fundamental level.

Obviously, if this scenario occurs, I can opt to not to consume future digital content, but what if the option to consume the digital content I enjoy, the classics of today, is suddenly taken away? What if every digital copy of Halo is suddenly modified to use call the main character “Prime Officer”?

What do you think GAF?

More likely they would censor the scantily clad computer girl in Halo to look like an androgenous non gender robot with digital clothing (like the up coming sequel).

That said, there are usually avenues to own the original in all their glory, even digitally. Mostly legally.

To hell with retroactive censorship.

Also- imagine in 50 years playing death stranding and ghost of Tsushima on Mame lolol

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
It doesn't bother me I justncomsume and move on. That's with games, movies and TV shows. I never really watch something or place something more than once. However I am a defender of Physical for a different reason, buying games used, resell games or cheaper physical copy than digital. I buy both digital and physical for me it all comes down to price

Paasei

Regarding this topic I am already fucked. I primarily play on PC. Some games are still obtainable on disc and others just give you an empty box with a Steam key inside of it, rofl.
On my consoles however I buy every single game physically to compensate.

Pull n Pray

Banned
Kojima is right, but physical is dead either way. There's no going back.

Also daily reminder that the Superhot dev is a pussy ass bitch.
Are you saying Kojima is super hot and also a pussy ass bitch? Or is there a game called Superhot, and you for some reason chose this thread to call the developer of the game a pussy ass bitch? Also, what did he do?
this is what lot of people been saying. imagine what happened with game preserverence if there is no physical copies available.
You have it backwards. Everything physical has an expiration date. Digital is the only hope for preservation.

Pull n Pray

Banned
It also goes both ways.

Mods change things in games - and the original creator of the game is locked out of that creative decision.

If games should be 'set in stone' and unchangeable is a moral argument then where do you stand on mods.
The user chooses to install a mod, and the original game is always available to him if he wants it.
eventually the sun with engulf the Earth

we don't own the planet, we don't own our lives, we don't own our bodies

just enjoy the moment and don't think about it
Hell, we might as well legalize rape. Just don't think about it and enjoy the moment.

entremet

My issue is space. I do enjoy some physical media. And in the end, all these are ephemeral experience that exist in your memories. How much time do we have to re-experience them? We’re finite creatures. Eventually death comes a knocking.

The user chooses to install a mod, and the original game is always available to him if he wants it.

Hell, we might as well legalize rape. Just don't think about it and enjoy the moment.
ppl complaining about not owning games when they're renting apartments/houses, paying taxes and mortgages

we own nothing

accept that and life will be less stressful for you

Last edited:

TonyK

I think if we arrive that point, I'm sure they could block hardware remotely to not read specific physical software. So your physical games and movies could end being also obsolete/forbidden.

Only paper books could remain free (but hidden) in a society like Kojima is describing.

Jeeves

It's simple. Do you want to own the game or not? If not, don't be surprised when something happens to it.

If you want to own it, your options are physical or DRM-free digital.

I won't get into always-online games or physical games that just unlock digital games. The situation's pretty fucked with those.

//DEVIL//

This is a not black and white area for me .

for consoles I always try to go physical . I like to have the collection in front of me unless it’s something like cod which I’ll play online for 1 year then forget about it . Anything else specially single player games are just pure physical

for pc . I am not worried about digital because if I did for some reason get cut off from my games ( government / banned ) whatever, I’ll just pirate the game ( thankfully never such a thing like this happened ) but in my mind I paid the price for the game I feel it’s my right to own it in case government or say epic store shut down or whatever and I can’t access the game. Pirating the game then maybe justified ?

again this never happened to me and I am not promoting pirating a game whatsoever .

MastaKiiLA

Many physical games are incomplete or require a patch to correct launch day issues. Good luck with your uncensored but buggy game. Why not worry about something more likely than retroactive censorship, a fucking house fire or natural disaster destroying your physical collection. That's something that happens all the damn time. At least with a digital collection, you can just download the games again on your new console. Worrying about low probability shit is pointless.

Last edited:

Shmunter

True. CDs and DVDs last a couple decades, Blu-Rays a bit longer. It's not a problem now but it could be one once we're old.
Pretty sure I’ve got cd’s from the 90’s which are perfectly fine. Don’t think they’re anywhere near deteriorates in over 2 decades.

What do you think GAF?

What do you mean you never considered retroactive censorship?
Have you even heard of cancel culture? Most of that shit is retroactive.

Plantoid

Who fucking cares? I play the game once, maybe twice, then I play another one, who keeps replaying their old games over and over through the years?

Pull n Pray

Banned
Many physical games are incomplete or require a patch to correct launch day issues. Good luck with your uncensored but buggy game. Why not worry about something more likely than retroactive censorship, a fucking house fire or natural disaster destroying your physical collection. That's something that happens all the damn time. At least with a digital collection, you can just download the games again on your new console. Worrying about low probability shit is pointless.
This is a good point. I've lost a couple of games over the years due to disc scratches. So far, I've never lost access to digital content that I've purchased.

But people are conflating preservation with ownership, and they are different issues. Physical copies of media is not a solution to preservation. But it does offer some protection against censorship.

Ironically, PC is the only platform where users have some sort of recourse when it comes to this stuff, even though physical games have essentially been dead there for nearly a decade.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
But the physical media deteriorates eventually ,nothing lasts forever. Also all these consoles with physical media disks like
Blu-ray,eventually down the road the drive will stop reading discs. You also got diskt rott to worry about. Look at how many old consoles like the Sega Saturn and Dreamcast are using a different method to reading discs like mode from Terraonion. You cannot depend on physical media.
I own discs dating back to the early nineties, still in mint condition.
Deterioration of retail media keep in good storage is a myth.
The Lazer part, yeah there is that.
But they can always be fixed.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
What do you mean you never considered retroactive censorship?
Have you even heard of cancel culture? Most of that shit is retroactive.
One thing is removing access to content (cancel culture), while another thing is editing content in the past so that nobody ever gets the chance to experience it in its original form. If we ever reach that state, the content in its original form only exists in your memory and dies the moment you die. This has never been possible in the history of mankind. Today we can look at manuscripts dated from thousands of years ago and learn from history.

The future threat that Kojima presents is a tough one to fight with potential serious consequences to the development of society; we will no longer be able to learn from the past as the past will exists as it is told by the dominant lines of thought.

Last edited:
His tweets seem to be referring to some sort of “nuclear” digital event where access is cut off to everyone as opposed to access being cut off from individuals that broke an agreement. If that were the case, I’m sure being able to conveniently play the latest and greatest Kojima game would be at the bottom of society’s problems.

Most games now have some sort of DRM. More games than most people even realize. So good luck playing those physical games when the service they need to operate expires. That, and most games are missing a massive patch on day one. Yes, there are games that work without a notorious day one patch, but good luck finding more of those as time moves forward. More and more games will be missing half their content from the disc.

It’s also kind of rich that Kojima is tooting this horn since Death Stranding's selling point is its online function. Without internet, the selling point is gone. A physical copy of the game won’t fix that.

It’s fine to prefer physical. I do in most cases. Good luck swimming against the digital current though…

Top Bottom