• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I support diversity but only when it makes sense artistically, the new Fable is the first Fable to ever have diversity, but why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

svbarnard

Banned
Culture war bait thread.
First off I'm actually half white and half black, my Mom was white and my Dad was black, just to let you know.

I support diversity in video games but only when it makes sense artistically. I don't believe any of the previous Fable games had diversity right? But it would appear the new Fable has for the first time diversity, but why? They put diversity in the new Lord of the Rings show and you saw how angry that made people. Again, I fully support diversity but only when it makes sense artistically. Honestly, this push for diversity in Fable probably came from the publisher itself, Microsoft. Well guess what they made the new Lord of the Rings show diverse and it got lots of negative reviews. Diversity is good but only when it makes sense. Don't put diversity in something just so you can say "Hey look we're diverse!!!"

2FPKiFT

Last edited:
Fable 1 has 2 black characters that I can think of, Whisper (who you grow up with in the hero school and is your rival) and her older brother Thunder. Scythe may have been black as well but its been awhile since I played it. So its not new to Fable, really.

While I agree with you in principle, for example FF16 is not very diverse and YoshiP said that's because it wouldn't make sense artistically which is a good thing, I don't think that its even the biggest problem with that Fable trailer. That trailer didn't feel at all like a Fable game to me. Just a generic comedy fantasy

svbarnard

Banned
Even if the cast would have been all white and all the female actresses waifu material it would have received shit reviews, because the writing was shit.
Nah man the diversity just ruined it for me, and I'm half black. I like diversity but only when it makes sense.

svbarnard

Banned
Fable 1 has 2 black characters that I can think of, Whisper (who you grow up with in the hero school and is your rival) and her older brother Thunder. Scythe may have been black as well but its been awhile since I played it. So its not new to Fable, really.
Oh ok. Yeah it's been a long time so I guess I forgot about it. But still I stand by my statement.

mrmustard

Banned
Black people exist in this world and i wouldn't call it diverse/woke/artificial if they are in video games....

We are not talking about a lesbian transgender half asian, half black with a shaved head and Duke Nukem oneliners shoved down your throat.

svbarnard

Banned
While I agree with you in principle, for example FF16 is not very diverse and YoshiP said that's because it wouldn't make sense artistically which is a good thing,
Yeah there's this strong push coming from the left these days to make literally anything and everything diverse, no matter what, JUST MAKE IT DIVERSE!!!!! But I only support diversity if it makes sense artistically.

svbarnard

Banned
Black people exist in this world and i wouldn't call it diverse/woke/artificial if they are in video games....

We are not talking about a lesbian transgender half asian, half black with a shaved head and Duke Nukem oneliners shoved down your throat.

Again, I like diversity but only if it makes sense artistically. In my opinion diversity ruined the new Lord of the Rings show for me, I only watched the first two episodes and then turned it off.

Diversity in and of itself is not the issue.

Cringe writing, overt political messaging and poorly conceptualized worlds and characters are.

Authentic, well-written, unique characters are a great thing, but those are hard to come by, as most attempts at diversity are poorly thought out and tend to go out of their way to insult one group of people in order to prop up another.

L*][*N*K

Banned
Why not? It is a fantasy game, you will have the option to create your own character as it did with the other Fable games so what is the issue?

And my friend, everything you say before the word "But" is horseshit.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Diversity in modern media isn't real diversity. It's weaponized diversity that corporations aim at the gullible audiences in order to generate fake interest in their latest product.

We've had diversity in all media for literally decades now, and it baffles me that none of those retards on Twitter ever considered if "first black X in gaming" is just some bullshit slogan that marketing people came up with because there are literal years, if not decades, of documented black (and other minority) characters in gaming.

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
Fable has always had diverse characters.

Whisper in the original is a black female and your rival.

Hammer is a key NPC sidekick and she was a bit of a chonker.

The series also let you have gay sex if you wanted.

This thread is stirring up dumb political shit.

svbarnard

Banned
Isn't england full of black people? Fable is located in england, so...

You see that's the problem.

There's this strong push coming from the left to make anything and everything diverse, no matter what, JUST MAKE IT DIVERSE!!!!

I like diversity but it has to make sense artistically. It has to make sense.

killatopak

I'll judge it when it gets released.

I have played plenty of games that are awesome with diversity though one can't deny it is a red flag on today's quality of games.

Lethal01

You see that's the problem.

There's this strong push coming from the left to make anything and everything diverse, no matter what, JUST MAKE IT DIVERSE!!!!

I like diversity but it has to make sense artistically. It has to make sense.

What about diversity in the new fable doesn't make sense artistically?
I hate people forcing others to make something diverse but if a creator has black people in a world with elves and orcs there is zero issue.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The way I see it if the character bad and badly written then at that point it doesn't really matter what race or sex the character is, bad character is bad character.

Kikorin

I think every creator have to be completely free to do anything with his creation, but don't have to feel forced to do diversity just because.

If someone want to make a game/movie in European medieval era with a full black cast, do it, who cares? The bad thing is when someone is forced to put black/Asian/gay/etc... characters in because all minority have to be represented in every media.

Banjo64

cumsessed
We’ll see how it pans out.

Diversity in something like ASOIAF makes sense, it is done in a fact based way (people from the cold northern realm being pale skinned etc etc).

Diversity in something like Amazon’s Rings of Power makes zero sense. Every tribe can be a hodge podge of anybody.

Fools idol

Banned
I am yet to hear a good argument against minority diversity in games from someone who is white.

Reason being we had 20+ years of only white male/female protagonists in games. Only now that is changing people start crying about it.

Woopah

It's a fictional world right? Why does not make sense "artistically" for a fantasy world to have different skin colours?

Also we have to remember how the game industry used to be. The team behind Fable III wanted to have a black woman and the front cover, and Microsoft's response was to say that only a white man was allowed on the cover.

Meicyn

Gold Member
I don't think England was diverse a thousand years ago though right?
I don’t think it had the undead or balverines either.

It’s called Fable. Like, this game’s universe is literally made up. And you conveniently ignored the black girl named Whisper who is literally with you in hero school on day one and is your rival the entire game. In the very first game of this series. Diversity was in Fable since inception.

First off I'm actually half white and half black, my Mom was white and my Dad was black, just to let you know.

I support diversity in video games but only when it makes sense artistically. I don't believe any of the previous Fable games had diversity right? But it would appear the new Fable has for the first time diversity, but why? They put diversity in the new Lord of the Rings show and you saw how angry that made people. Again, I fully support diversity but only when it makes sense artistically. Honestly, this push for diversity in Fable probably came from the publisher itself, Microsoft. Well guess what they made the new Lord of the Rings show diverse and it got lots of negative reviews. Diversity is good but only when it makes sense. Don't put diversity in something just so you can say "Hey look we're diverse!!!"
2FPKiFT
Define 'artistically' - seriously if someone didn't want to reflect the diversity of the planet is that 'artistic' or just bigotry?

L*][*N*K

Banned
Why are you bothered, though? Does a black character take that much enjoyment away from you, also you claim you are "okay" with diversity if it is in service of art, what makes you think in the context of Fable it isn't? Maybe the artists behind that game want it that way, who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom