• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I realized i can never have a Nintendo console because of the reverse A+B nonsense

nkarafo

For a very long time, i only game with an XBOX controller. I think since the mid 00s or so. My last console was the XBOX 360 and after that i focused on PC, with XBOX controllers. I also played a lot of Playstation stuff during those years but not much Nintendo stuff. The last Nintendo console i bought was the Wii and that didn't have a traditional controller anyway.

So, the bottom "A" or "X" button is always my jump/action/enter/make selection button. Basically, the "main" button. It's been like this for for me 20+ years. Even on the Gamecube which has a different placement, the main button is bigger in size than the rest so it's hard to miss and also on the N64, the "main" button is the bottom one just like on PS/XBOX controllers. I can't comment on the SNES because its been a million years since i played on a real console. But i still play on Gamecube/N64 with no issues.

Recently i had the chance to play on a Switch i borrowed and it was.... an interesting experience. Even after many hours of play i still couldn't get used to the reverse button prompts and placement. I would still press the wrong buttons all the time. I simply can't re-wire my brain after so many years this function is etched in my brain. But even if i could, then i would still have to re-re-wire every time i want to play something on a different system. And sure, you can change the controls on PC games but not on every XBOX/PS game.

That basically means i'm literally locked out of Nintendo consoles. The only viable solution is emulation, since you can change everything as you like it and there are even mods that change the on screen prompts for XBOX or PS controllers. But outside that, how do you guys manage? Can you jump from one standard to the other without issues? Is my brain limited so it's just me?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
It’s done in system settings. It’s universal. Applies to all games.
To clarify, Zelda has a weird button mapping option. When you reverse the buttons in settings it's literally impossible to put "Y" (now reversed as X) as an attack button. So you have to choose to unreverse the buttons, which means you end up closing menus when you don't want (the original problem) or having weird controls in Zelda.

Trust me I tried it. It's maddening

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
This messed me up badly when I got a switch.

SNES used the B button as the A button for most games.

N64 put the A button where the B button was on the SNES.

GC had a huge A button in the middle.

Skipped the Wiis.

K' Dash

unimpressed michael keaton GIF

N64 put the A button where the B button was on the SNES.

GC had a huge A button in the middle.
This is what started the problem. They had a moment where they had switched and then the Gamecube made the A button the most prominent button(like other controllers), so it didn't matter where the B button was.

Then when the Wii U came around they decided to go backwards and bring back the classic SNES button layout.

Ultimately they should have found a way to stick with the GC layout and update it as a primary controller. The GC arguably had perfect button placement.

hq720.jpg

They've anyways had same face button placements for A and B on their handhelds, also since Nintendo DS and Wii Classic Controller they've anyways had the same layout they created for SNES.
I'm adding this quote to let others know that I am aware of this. It doesn't change how I feel about the GC controller being my preferred one in terms of button layout, and it doesn't change the fact that the N64 put the A button on the bottom.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
I literally never had a problem with things like that. It's basically an instinct which button I should press depending on which controller I'm holding. I haven't owned a Nintendo console since GameCube and I'm pretty sure I would have zero problems getting used to a Switch controller.

LakeOf9

And i take all games will change their prompts accordingly right?

Thanks, this changes everything. I need to get that Switch and try again.

Does this work with other Nintendo consoles like the WiiU and 3DS?
Not sure if it changes the prompts to be honest, I never tried it myself!

The switch was the first Nintendo system I ever bought so I don’t know if it applies to their older consoles too

KungFucius

King Snowflake
It's really not that bad. I get annoyed when I switch to the Switch, get acclimated then get annoyed when I switch back.

wvnative

And i take all games will change their prompts accordingly right?

Thanks, this changes everything. I need to get that Switch and try again.

Does this work with other Nintendo consoles like the WiiU and 3DS?
No. Prompts cannot be changed in-game.

I agree 100%. The reversal of A and B by Nintendo drives me nuts. I also hate Sony’s stupid shapes, which was never intuitive to me. Sega and Xbox are the only ones who made logical, sensible controllers with proper button labeling.

This may be a laughable objection for many, but it’s important to me. Maybe I’m half a retard, but I don’t like to think about the buttons. That’s one of the main reasons I’ve always been a Sega and Xbox loyalist.

Roufianos

I have to admit, I don't play my Switch too often, but I sure as shit can't tell you which button is where.

I'm sure you can learn though.

BlackTron

The problem with remapping is that it will break the button layout of games. Usually the actual action buttons of a game, especially stuff like fire/shoot, go by placement layout (not button names) and stay consistent across platforms. So if you change it over a UI tweak, it could break the default controls of infinite games.

In any case. You do get used to switching after a while, but the first few rounds are always annoying while you reacclimate. "Locked out of the platform" seems like hyperbole

nkarafo

How can the design that was copied be the reverse?
I didn't say who did the reversing. I said the layouts between those systems are reversed, i don't really care who did the original layout, there shouldn't be a reversed standard at all.

Also, Nintendo themselves seem to be inconsistent with their button placements on their own machines anyway because they always change their controller design. Thus, you find that "main" button in different places. So i wouldn't say Nintendo follows any standard at all.

Last edited:

naguanatak

Never understood how this can be a problem. Is muscle memory not a thing for some people? Sure there are times where I don't play on the switch for months and have to adjust...but that takes 5 mins, at most.
If I constantly switch systems there is no problem at all, my body knows what I'm playing on.
Same thing for looking at buttons when a prompt appears on screen. I get it for newcomers...but if you play videogames for years or decades, how can some brains still need to look at the buttons?

Sounding a bit arrogant honestly, but 🤷‍♂️ some things I just don't get

Kilau

I didn't say who did the reversing. I said the layouts between those systems are reversed, i don't really care who did the original layout, there shouldn't be a reversed standard at all.

Also, Nintendo themselves seem to be inconsistent with their button placements on their own machines anyway because they always change their controller design. Thus, you find that "main" button in different places. So i wouldn't say Nintendo follows any standard at all.
Ok, got ya.

As for standard, Nintendo has been 100% consistent in their portable button layout from GameBoy to Switch.

For a very long time, i only game with an XBOX controller. I think since the mid 00s or so. My last console was the XBOX 360 and after that i focused on PC, with XBOX controllers. I also played a lot of Playstation stuff during those years but not much Nintendo stuff. The last Nintendo console i bought was the Wii and that didn't have a traditional controller anyway.

So, the bottom "A" or "X" button is always my jump/action/enter/make selection button. Basically, the "main" button. It's been like this for for me 20+ years. Even on the Gamecube which has a different placement, the main button is bigger in size than the rest so it's hard to miss and also on the N64, the "main" button is the bottom one just like on PS/XBOX controllers. I can't comment on the SNES because its been a million years since i played on a real console. But i still play on Gamecube/N64 with no issues.

Recently i had the chance to play on a Switch i borrowed and it was.... an interesting experience. Even after many hours of play i still couldn't get used to the reverse button prompts and placement. I would still press the wrong buttons all the time. I simply can't re-wire my brain after so many years this function is etched in my brain. But even if i could, then i would still have to re-re-wire every time i want to play something on a different system. And sure, you can change the controls on PC games but not on every XBOX/PS game.

That basically means i'm literally locked out of Nintendo consoles. The only viable solution is emulation, since you can change everything as you like it and there are even mods that change the on screen prompts for XBOX or PS controllers. But outside that, how do you guys manage? Can you jump from one standard to the other without issues? Is my brain limited so it's just me?

Nintendo's A/B placement is actually the original placement. In fact, Sony conformed to this standard with the PS1 controller and in Japan O has been confirm with X being cancel. Even FF7 for the PS1 in the West used O for confirm as the default scheme.

Microsoft's Xbox changed the A button to the bottom to conform to the Playstation western standard, and also flipped the X and Y buttons to follow suit. In 2020 with the PS5 Sony for the first time took an official stance that X is now standard, even in Japan.

nkarafo

Nintendo's A/B placement is actually the original placement. In fact, Sony conformed to this standard with the PS1 controller and in Japan O has been confirm with X being cancel. Even FF7 for the PS1 in the West used O for confirm as the default scheme.

Microsoft's Xbox changed the A button to the bottom to conform to the Playstation western standard, and also flipped the X and Y buttons to follow suit. In 2020 with the PS5 Sony for the first time took an official stance that X is now standard, even in Japan.

Thanks for the info but the problem is there are now two different standards that you have to adjust to. Whoever did the first one is irrelevant to the issue.

naguanatak

In 2020 with the PS5 Sony for the first time took an official stance that X is now standard, even in Japan.

So until 2020 'O' was confirm and 'X' cancel like in the old days and still on Nintendo and they then changed it? How is Japan doing? Everything okay over there or are people rioting on the streets?

Kataploom

Gold Member
While I agree this happens briefly to me while switch from PC to switch and viceversa, is not Nintendo's fault. They were copied and the standard they created was changed by competition, Nintendo went change their layout to conform to them.

This is what started the problem. They had a moment where they had switched and then the Gamecube made the A button the most prominent button(like other controllers), so it didn't matter where the B button was.

Then when the Wii U came around they decided to go backwards and bring back the classic SNES button layout.

Ultimately they should have found a way to stick with the GC layout and update it as a primary controller. The GC arguably had perfect button placement.

hq720.jpg
They've anyways had same face button placements for A and B on their handhelds, also since Nintendo DS and Wii Classic Controller they've anyways had the same layout they created for SNES.

naguanatak

Thanks for the info but the problem is there are now two different standards that you have to adjust to. Whoever did the first one is irrelevant to the issue.
I think the problem is that you think there is a standard when in fact there never was.
It's like people complaining when you have games where the top face button is jump, like Shadow of the Colossus or Starfield. Just adjust... Not every game has to feel the same with the same buttons doing the same actions. I quite like it that there are different designers with different philosophies in mind.

JimboJones

I just get used to it pretty quickly.
There are coloured keycaps you could stick on the joycon buttons, change the button layout at system level then make it the Xbox colours, dunno it that would help.

While I agree this happens briefly to me while switch from PC to switch and viceversa, is not Nintendo's fault. They were copied and the standard they created was changed by competition, Nintendo wouldnt change their layout to conform to them.
You guys have to stop erasing Sega from history like this lol.

Top Bottom