• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I need to know...is the 360 unit THAT loud?

snatches

Turn up Call of Duty 2 and listen to that instead =O

Seriously, it's the loudest piece of electronics kit I own....but you would never notice it if you play your game at an average volume.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Well some are loud, some are not. I'm sure there are other differences as well.

I have hardwood floors, which I would imagine would make the sound of the 360 even more audible. I'll find out eventually.

Mifune

Mehmber
If I listen for it while playing, I can hear it. But it's never so loud that it's annoying or even distracting.

Definitely less noticeable than the Dreamcast.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
The DC was only loud while loading/lens movement. The 360, from what people are saying, is constant. as it's the spindle spinning that causes the noise.

Is that correct?

snatches

DaCocoBrova said:
The DC was only loud while loading/lens movement. The 360, from what people are saying, is constant. as it's the spindle spinning that causes the noise.

Is that correct?

It's the 2 fans that cause the constant noise. Disc access is not that loud....much quieter than ps2 in that regard.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
dvdvideo said:
It's louder than any other device I have owned, louder than my pc (which is a quiet pc, sonata case, etc), louder than my ps2 and gamecube, louder than my X1 and H27 projectors, louder than my pvr. In fact, it's anoyingly loud. Yes, it's not as loud when no game is in, and during most games you won't hear it over the game. But in games like condemed, when things are quiet, it's way to loud and interferes with the mood.
For those considering using a 360 with thier pc may be even more anoyed by it since it will be 2 feet away.

Anyone who says it is a quiet machine is either:

A) Got some sort of different model than me
B) modded it to water cooling
c) deaf

Dammit! Would you say its louder than a powersaw or a lawnmower?

I was playing an X360 at a kiosk the other day, and I literally thought that someone had left a chainsaw running on the shelf next to it.

Mifune

Mehmber
When I was leaving my apartment this morning, my neighbor stopped me and was like, "Jesus fucking christ, what could you possibly need a chainsaw for at two in the fucking morning!!" I wrote it off as another case of her going off the meds, but now I'm beginning to wonder...

Maybe the 360 really is THAT loud.

Fifty

Yeah it's pretty damn loud. I'm amazed when I hear from people online that they think it's quiet. Either they're sitting very far away from it, the TV volume is really loud, they have a different type of unit or all of the above. I'm getting used to it but I really wish it was quieter for when I'm playing late at night with the volume low.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
the first time i loaded up a 360 game, i thought for a second that someone was vacuuming in the hallway. :lol

chinch

Tenacious-V Redux
Manic D said:
My analogue Radio Shack meter reads 65db with a disc in the 360. Pretty damn loud.
what distance? what is the white noise dB in your room?

i'll try mine tonight if i remember.

Manic D

That's putting the meter right up in front of the 360. My RS meter, #33-2050, only reads from about 50db , but for reference my PC will not register on the rat shack meter when held right up to it.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Mifune said:
When I was leaving my apartment this morning, my neighbor stopped me and was like, "Jesus fucking christ, what could you possibly need a chainsaw for at two in the fucking morning!!" I wrote it off as another case of her going off the meds, but now I'm beginning to wonder...

Maybe the 360 really is THAT loud.

Goo GRIEF R U serious???

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
"Heed the warnings, GAF. Heed!"

aid16.jpg

Can someone take proper SPL measurements from where you would be sitting while playing the system? It's just like how you use the SPL meter to calibrate speakers... Place it where your head would be while sitting there playing the games...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
snatches said:
It's the 2 fans that cause the constant noise. Disc access is not that loud....much quieter than ps2 in that regard.
Can't really make that claim, though, as that would vary per PS2 and per disc type.

CDs on an old PS2 == VERY loud
CDs on a new PS2 == much better
DVDs on a newer PS2 == virtually silent
PSTwo == "is it even ON?!" kinda silent

GXAlan

Error Macro said:
Can someone take proper SPL measurements from where you would be sitting while playing the system? It's just like how you use the SPL meter to calibrate speakers... Place it where your head would be while sitting there playing the games...

it's below 54dB

Jeff-DSA

Hey, my property value dropped by 1/4 because of my 360. I guess the appraisers figured I lived in an airplane landing zone.

isamu

Thanks for the comparisons guys. I know you are trying to help by comparing the noise of the 360 to your other consoles and PC, but can you please do your best to comment on which appliance you think is louder, between the 360 and

1)A chainsaw?
2)A lawnmower?
3)A power drill?
4)A Power saw?
5)A blender?

If you could tell me whether the 360 is louder than any of those items listed above I'd appreciate it dud0rz :)

Jeff-DSA

isamu said:
Thanks for the comparisons guys. I know you are trying to help by comparing the noise of the 360 to your other consoles and PC, but can you please do your best to comment on which appliance you think is louder, between the 360 and

1)A chainsaw?
2)A lawnmower?
3)A power drill?
4)A Power saw?
5)A blender?

If you could tell me whether the 360 is louder than any of those items listed above I'd appreciate it dud0rz :)

In all seriousness, the 360 isn't as loud as any of those things, but it is the loudest electronic device I own, inlcuding any computers I have ever owned.

eso76

Mine is not loud at all, definately less than xbox1, less than a DC.

Generally.

Occasionally, there's some vibration coming from the dvd tray lid, which is indeed quite loud. Fortunately, it stops as soon as i touch that ugly chrome thing. Apart from that nope, it's quite silent.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Only time I notice is when I start a game disc - then it's like woosh vrrrrrm brrrrm then the game audio kicks in and it's completely drowned out. Of course if you play a game from the HD, like Arcade or a demo download, there's no noise at all.

It is about the same volume as my Xbox with a disc spinning up.

isamu

Jeff-DSA said:
In all seriousness, the 360 isn't as loud as any of those things, but it is the loudest electronic device I own, inlcuding any computers I have ever owned.

How can you be so sure it isn't as loud as any of those things? Have you directly compared them?

raYne

Why do you keep 'tarding up the board with this topic? Any "funny" this could possibly have has long passed.

isamu

raYne said:

Why do you keep 'tarding up the board with this topic? Any "funny" this could possibly have has long passed.

who says I'm trying to be funny raYne? Give me ONE example of me trying to "'tard up" the thread?

I can't even hear mine when its on. It's actually more quite than the orignal Xbox. DVD drive noise in the old Xbox was pretty loud.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It is a bit loud...

I don't own one, but I know someone down the street who does. I can't believe he was playing it at four in the morning. I was trying to get some sleep. >_<

raYne

isamu said:
who says I'm trying to be funny raYne? Give me ONE example of me trying to "'tard up" the thread?
I said board, not thread... and examples of said 'tarding aren't exactly lacking*.

Anyway, too tired to go into it. *moves on*

see current thread.

Top Bottom