• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I need to know...is the 360 unit THAT loud?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Guys....is the Xbox 360 really that loud, to the point where you have to wear ear plugs or risk loss of hearing? I'm not trying to be sarcastic or funny here, but there have been people complaining that the unit is actually <i>LITERALLY</i> louder than a blending machine or under the hood of a running automobile. Is this true? Jesus, how can such a small piece of hardware be louder than a friggin car engine? That's nuts!

Would you recommend wearing ear protection before turning on the unit? I have what is called "tinitus" which is a ringing in my ear and I need to know if the 360 will further damage my ear drums. Please let me know :(

KingJ2002

it is... it's as loud as a "silent" vacuum cleaner... low enough to not be absurdly loud... high enough to be louder than your computer fan.

only when playing games though... every other function it's quiet as a mouse.

HeadphonesModel.jpg

VALIS

I don't think it's a bit louder than any of the other cd/dvd based consoles (and certainly quieter than the Dreamcast), but then, in this room is a floor fan, a desk fan and a computer case with three fans, so I'm probably not the best judge.

Only when you have a game in during loading with no music can you hear how loud it is. Other than that, my PC is louder.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
KingJ2002 said:
it is... it's as loud as a "silent" vacuum cleaner... low enough to not be absurdly loud... high enough to be louder than your computer fan.

only when playing games though... every other function it's quiet as a mouse.

Thanks but would you receommend wearing ear protection? Is it louder than say, a shotgun blast?
cry0jo.gif

KingJ2002

When playing games... you dont even notice it really.

maybe the first couple of times... but after awhile you really dont acknowledge the sound coming from the fans.

Maybe when the game starts up but thats about it.

no need for special heargear or ear protection... just turn the volume up a bit if it's really getting to you.

i first found it extremely loud, but now im use to it and it sounds about as loud as my 1ghz athlon t-bird.. (remember those loud beasts? :p)

lol, why does it bother people i tend to play with surround and or the tv at least above speaking level of volume. I would hazard a guess that you wouldnt hear it over that.

ShowDog

Think a computer burning a cd at high speed. That's probably the loudest it gets. And your sitting more than a foot away from it, so it's not too bad.

isamu

ShowDog said:
Think a computer burning a cd at high speed. That's probably the loudest it gets. And your sitting more than a foot away from it, so it's not too bad.

What about the complaints that it's louder than a dump truck?

louder than
The Rose Bowl on the 4th of July?
cry0jo.gif

Drey1082

I'd have to say it's the loudest console i've owned. It's very quite just running the dashboard, but when the DVD drive is going, it's fairly noisy.

It's not THAT bad however.

h1nch

YEAH DUDE DIDN'T YOU HEAR ITS LIKE TOTALLY LOUD I'D SAY ITS LOUDER THAN A SPACE SHUTTLE LAUNCH IF U WERE STANDING RIGHT UNDER IT AND ITS DEFINITELY LOUDER THAN THE IMPLIED VOLUME OF THIS TEXT IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN!!!!

Mupepe

Banned
Error Macro said:
I turned it on and my neighbor's dog died. :(
I want to fuck your avatar so bad. It would just be like "yeah yeah lindsay. take it lindsay. drop it like yoiur boobies are fucking jiggling." Then i'd be on top and pounding away and I grab a nipple with my teeth and suck on her titties like a newborn baby. God!!

*whistles* back to work for me

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It's louder than any other device I have owned, louder than my pc (which is a quiet pc, sonata case, etc), louder than my ps2 and gamecube, louder than my X1 and H27 projectors, louder than my pvr. In fact, it's anoyingly loud. Yes, it's not as loud when no game is in, and during most games you won't hear it over the game. But in games like condemed, when things are quiet, it's way to loud and interferes with the mood.
For those considering using a 360 with thier pc may be even more anoyed by it since it will be 2 feet away.

Anyone who says it is a quiet machine is either:

A) Got some sort of different model than me
B) modded it to water cooling
c) deaf

snacknuts

we all knew her
It's kind of loud, but I don't ever notice it when I'm playing. It's like when your car is making a funny noise, you just crank up the stereo and the problem is gone.

THE DUCK

Anyone have a rat shack meter? Really curious...I have since read reports of 2 different models, one loud one not....

raYne

argon said:
Not as loud as the new GAF logo
:lol Logged on this morning and that's the first thing I noticed.

dvdvideo said:
Anyone else happen to have a ratshack digital sound meter? When I put mine up to the 360 with a game runnning in the drive I get around 60-68 db......wow.

I mean that's as loud as regular conversaion from 1 foot away.

http://neoseeker.com/Hardware/faqs/kb/3,19.html
So people are keeping their 360s next to their ear I gather?

In any case, I have my 360 set up about 5 feet away from where I mainly use it. With my tv way under 1/4 max volume (20 out of 99), I can't hear jack from my 360 if the game is unpaused. It's not silent by any means, but Dreamcast level is is definitely not.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Why didn't they outsource the console design and fabrication? Or is this a Flextronic thing?

When I think of M$ and hardware design...

This springs to mind every time:

homer_car.gif

It's louder than any other device I have owned, louder than my pc (which is a quiet pc, sonata case, etc), louder than my ps2 and gamecube, louder than my X1 and H27 projectors, louder than my pvr

OK, now that puts it into perspective.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
DaCocoBrova said:
Why didn't they outsource the console design and fabrication? Or is this a Flextronic thing?

When I think of M$ and hardware design...

This springs to mind every time:

homer_car.gif

why? it's a great design

and it's not loud, can't even hear it when I am playing any game with any sort of volume going. I'll do a check with my radio shack meter

Klotera

I'd say its not much louder than a Dreamcast as far as fan noise. And, the disc access noise isn't nearly as grating on the nerves as it was with the Dreamcast (that was an awful sound)

I think it's along the level of the Dreamcast (noticeable at first but fades away into the background for me once I start playing). I mostly hear the fan on bootup, the disc access doesn't really seem to be a factor for me. It's defintely louder than PS2, Xbox, and GC, IMO. Doesn't really bother me though, maybe it's because I play games pretty loud.

I ran some longer video cables, and put the thing in my basement to contain the heat and noise. This works pretty well except for the fact that I can't use the infrared remotes, and it takes me several minutes to switch games. I'm trying to train my dog to do it; he can hit the eject button but he keeps chewing up the damned discs. Fortunately I have him practicing on music CD-Rs so that none of my original game discs get damaged.

THE DUCK

So people are keeping their 360s next to their ear I gather?

No, nor was that my suggestion. It was a reference point to measure from. Besides, are you telling me that a conversation at normal room levels wouldn't interfere with your game at 5 feet away?

raYne

dvdvideo said:
No, nor was that my suggestion. It was a reference point to measure from. Besides, are you telling me that a conversation at normal room levels wouldn't interfere with your game at 5 feet away?
Depends how loud that "normal" conversation is... :lol

I'm just saying, even with my "low" audio volume settings, I can't hear the system at all from it's location (while playing). So either people are exagerating... or someone's system is faulty.
(uh oh)

THE DUCK

There is one guy on the ign boards who has 2 units...he says one is loud the other is not......different dvd drive or something....

Top Bottom