• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I cant stop eating junk food and sad

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
trying to be in shapes but junk food tastes soooooooo good this is humiliating my friends this is what I looked like before in highschool almoost exactly

chris-farley-comedic-legend.webp

this is me now sons friends laugh at me and say farrrreley or barny gumble doctor says I wont live long if I dont stop want to be there to help my family 300 pounds

chris-farley-almost-heroes-900x508.png

cormack12

Gold Member
Need to get out the habit of grazing. Do you work in an office or home? Are you out much? Most of it is just distraction from food.

Start simple. No food after 8pm. Three solid meals that meet your BMR, swap all liquids for water and a half hour walk each day. Then have a pulse check at 12 weeks.

The less you eat junk food, the less you want it. Need to wean yourself off it.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Need to get out the habit of grazing. Do you work in an office or home? Are you out much? Most of it is just distraction from food.

Start simple. No food after 8pm. Three solid meals that meet your BMR, swap all liquids for water and a half hour walk each day. Then have a pulse check at 12 weeks.

The less you eat junk food, the less you want it. Need to wean yourself off it.
work remotes sometimes and go out for contract work I harv 2 jobs wife dont cook I always have to get door delivery or eat portato chips I am so fat I am ashamed to jiggle down the street water tastes like crud but I will stop drinking coke this is good advice one time I tried perrier water flavored and it was ok

Try to pick up a hobby. Music, painting, crafts, anything..

You don't have to become proficient at it. Just an outlet for negative thoughts.

I do gaming but I will try to practise drawing now thank you my friends

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
It's possible to cook healthy and tasty at the same time. In fact, passionately crafted dishes taste way better than junk food. You also get a better relationship with what you are eating.

In short, learn to cook. And more importantly learn to enjoy cooking for yourself. It's pretty easy.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I think gaming is another compulsive activity that can be highly damaging to your life. Overeating and gaming, general negative energy, these are all symptoms of deeper issues. They’re also a terrible feedback loop. I don’t know you, and can’t say if your situation is anything like my experiences… however, generally speaking, treating symptoms is what leads to the vicious cycle. Figure out the real cause (for many, it begins with how we think about things, often subconsciously) and then you at least have a real chance for long term progress. Positive changes can also snowball, and become easier and rewarding as you build on them.

But the damage we do to ourselves does have a price. And life is always tough sledding. Fortunately we’re built to withstand some real hardships.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Well they try to make it as addicting as possible. Not only the food but it's overall marketing approach does it's job 10 fold.

I have some advice but you're not gonna like it

Mistake

If you quit all that junk for two weeks, you'll get into the swing of things after that. I used to have more of a sweet tooth before living overseas, but now I rarely have any sugar at all. I'll eat two hershy kisses and call it quits

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Start small, one thing you can definitively cut out of your diet. Like if you drink 3 cans of soda a day, try to drink 2 cans of soda a day. Do that and that alone as long as necessary until it becomes your new status quo. Then cut something else. Etc etc. It's a change in lifestyle, the people who say "just stop eating out" or whatever don't get it and it does not work. A permanent change in lifestyle can take years to implement but that's the point, it is permanent and it snowballs. Like every small change you make will have a positive affect on your health and weight and motivate you to do more. If you try to make massive changes day 1 you will feel like shit and stop.

Also you should probably talk to a therapist and get to the reason why you go to this food.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Why doesn't anyone quote my post? One of life's mysteries

I've lost about 200+KG in intervals without a book.

And once more you wouldn't like my personal approach.

Maybe read the book

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Why are people replying earnestly when that's literally Chris Farley.
Giga loves Farley. I thought this was known by all, you’ve been here for 14 years!

Sort that out GigaBowser GigaBowser . You don’t want to end up in an early grave. It’s really easy if you’re serious about it. Less calories in that what’s going out and start walking and maybe lifting light weights to create a deficit. You’ll feel like crap for a few weeks till you adjust but it will pay off long term. There are no shortcuts, I wish you all the best.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
It involves a radical (in your case extreme) shift in lifestyle that depending on your willpower will last x time to keep going (have no specific details or goal)

Sounds fun huh.

Hint: it's not

Last edited:

StueyDuck

trying to be in shapes but junk food tastes soooooooo good this is humiliating my friends this is what I looked like before in highschool almoost exactly

this is me now sons friends laugh at me and say farrrreley or barny gumble doctor says I wont live long if I dont stop want to be there to help my family 300 pounds

You have to train yourself to think of a food as a necessity and not a niceity... food shouldn't have to taste great, it serves a purpose. I can't stress enough that sometimes the food you eat might not taste good or you might not like it, but that's just something you've gotta do. If you can think like that, the weight will start to fall off.

I find if you can spend 6 days out of 7 just eating cause you know you need food to live (ie the correct amount of calories, mostly veggies, more oily white meats etc) the the 7th day you can have a decent meal. That at least satiates the craving and it's like a weekend goal to reach. Stick to portion sizes and calories,if you can, have your bigger meal in the middle of the day rather than in the evening like most people do, you waste that energy in your sleep and store more fat.

It really is a mindset change. Same goes for drinks, Don't be drinking cokes cause they taste nice, thats literally by design, try drink mostly water, maybe add a bit of cordial if you have to have taste. Get into nice flavored (not artificially) teas, ginger, mint and turmeric teas have great health benefits, rooibos (south African tea) has great health benefits for you and won't put on the pounds.

If you want to be serious about all this the first step really is changing the mind. After a month or 2 things start becoming routine and you won't even notice anymore.

Just don't go to any extremes, that's how things fail, going to gym and trying to hit the final goals on your first day is just going to set you back a week in recovery and already break a cycle. Cutting out all good foods completely will cause them to control you, everything in moderation

Last edited:

Wildebeest

It's difficult. A psychologist might say that someone does something like this to deal with pain. Science might say that your body learned to eat so much when you were maturing, either because of higher activity levels, parental influence, genetics, or whatever. Your body just stubbornly doesn't want to change to eat less, but it just isn't appropriate as you age.

Go_Ly_Dow

Top secret info: good food tastes better than junk food and is good for you!

You just have to learn how to prepare and cook it whilst following the necessary steps. With YouTube anyone can make basically anything. Cooking this kind of food is also rewarding.

Jinzo Prime

Hey friend, I'm in the same situation as you, over 300lb (136kg), and I got there by eating shitty food for too long. I can't say I've lost weight, but I've at least stopped gaining every week by cutting out my biggest addiction: potato chips, adding more protein to my diet by the way of whey protein powder, and by doing dumbell squats when I have time.

I Also bought this book:

I mostly skim it, but it inspired me to lift some weights in order to help my back stop hurting.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This is food addiction. In my opinion, it's probably the most difficult addiction to overcome, because you need food to survive. By comparison, drinking and smoking are easy to give up because "just don't do the thing" doesn't work here - you can't tell someone to simply stop eating anything. It's like if you had a drinking problem, started the 12-step program, but still had to take three shots of whiskey every day to survive. With cigarettes, you can just stop buying them and keeping them in your house - an easy way to deprive you of the object of your addiction. With food, you've got to go grocery shopping and interact with food on a regular basis, even in a professional setting (especially if you work in the food industry in some way!) aka you're probably always near food. The difficulty also compounds itself if you live with others (roommates, spouse, kids, etc.) that also makes bad food choices.

The fast food companies, and processed food industry in America specifically, design their foods to be chemically addicting without regards to individual health. Overcoming this takes a massive amount of willpower and determination. Even when you break the cycle of addiction, the cravings will follow you probably the rest of your life.

I started in September of last year, so I've been at it for six months. It's been incredibly tough - much more difficult than when I gave up drinking and smoking. As others have said, you have to stop going to fast food places - so examine the reasons (other than being addicted to the food, obviously) why you're going there to begin with. Is it convenience? Cost? Social pressure? Try to find non-fast-food alternatives that can meet some of those needs. For me, meal prepping helped out a bunch. It's lower cost, and I know from day to day exactly what I'll be eating that day (and everything is portioned). It's not quite as convenient, since it takes a couple of hours out of my weekend, but on the days I'm working it saves me a TON of time just grabbing the bentos when I leave, and I don't have to wait in the drive through line on my lunch break. When I get home for dinner, it's already made just gotta nuke it. Starting out is the absolute worst, but it does get easier. Lots of days, you will go to bed feeling absolutely hungry.

As time goes on (and you inevitably start feeling better), try introducing more veggies into your meals and also introducing some exercise. This will help with the cravings and with the weight loss. It should help you sleep better. These things will have a snowball effect where you can start feeling better and better, as well as have more energy throughout your day, and your mood will improve, so you can stop the sad-crying.

Good luck OP. If you need more advice or motivation when taking this on, feel free to PM me.

Biff

Two major changes, which I think are realistically manageable for most people (and I say that being a huge skeptic of 90% of "diets" out there):

1) Switch all full sugar soda to zero sugar variants TODAY. Go to the fridge, grab every full sugar soda, crack them open and pour them down the drain. Then get in your car and drive to the nearest store and purchase zero sugar versions of whatever your favourite soda is. The first week is going to be rough as you will not like the after taste, but after the first week it will go away and you will never remember what full sugar soda tastes like. The reason you are addicted to soda is because of caffeine. You will continue to get caffeine in Coke Zero / Pepsi Max / Diet XYZ, so you will not have nasty withdrawal symptoms like headaches which comes from going cold turkey on soda and switching to water or something.

2) Once you are rid of full sugar soda, begin your Intermittent Fasting journey. IF works because you are allowed to eat whatever you want for the eating window of the day. Your first goal is the easiest thing in life: skip breakfast. That's it. "The most important meal of the day" is a marketing lie invented by Kellogg's. Cavemen didn't eat breakfast, and you won't either. This is your first foray into fasting. If you normally eat at 8am, you will now not eat until lunch time 12pm.

It will take you a couple weeks, but very quickly you will realize making it till 12pm is extremely easy. Next step is to shorten the evening window: no food after 8pm. Congratulations, you are have now entered the world of 16/8 Intermittent Fasting. Stay on this for a couple months, and I promise weight will melt.

Once you plateau, your next step is to move to 18/6 and eventually 20/4. Remember: you are allowed to eat whatever you want during your eating window. If you are addicted to potato chips, it's okay, you can eat potato chips BUT ONLY DURING YOUR EATING WINDOW. You can last until 12pm to have potato chips, don't tell me you cannot, you got this. And when it comes around to 7:30pm, have a few more chips, but you must stop at 8:00pm. Not 8:01pm. 8:00pm. Do it!

DKPOWPOW

Sometimes too much information is bad and overwhelming.

So I'll give you a simple thing to do.

Pick one thing you feel you eat or drink too much of (providing it's not water lol).

Cut it out. Just stop it immediately. Let it go.

Do that for 3 months. During those three months, the only time you can have that thing is on a special occasion. Like a birthday, or a significant holiday (if you have one). When you do have it, don't indulge. Just have a normal serving. Then go back to not having it.

I did this with sugar. Almost a year ago. It has been very helpful. I witnessed my mom losing her leg, and eventually her life to diabetes. So I decided to cut it out of my life.

Obviously it's almost impossible to cut sugar as a whole from your diet. So what I did was to do my absolute best to avoid things with any added sugar.

Naturally sweet things like fruit or juice (or honey or maple syrup) I will have on occasion. But sugar as a whole is no longer a staple of my diet.

The ups and downs it has on your body and mind will cause you to have a lot of the insatiable cravings you seem to suffer from.

This plan may help you.

Good luck.

Griffon

Higher ingredient quality and lower quantity is the most important thing to do.

Doesn't really matter if what you eat is too savory with sauce and shit like that, as long as you control quantity and better quality ingredients, you'll get thinner.

In 2023 I lost all my gut fat just by doing that, I don't really look at my diet, I just do smaller portions and buy organic whenever I can.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Well they try to make it as addicting as possible. Not only the food but it's overall marketing approach does it's job 10 fold.

I have some advice but you're not gonna like it
Man I feel this. Anytime I eat certain fast food I don’t feel full. I just want more. It’s like the sauce is full of sugar the fries don’t have any nutritional value and the burgers while filling for the time about two hours later you are full. But so much cheese and this isn’t the full American made one I live in Europe so while a lot of the crap ingredients are taken away. There is enough for it to feel addictive.

The only fast food I find that is filling is five guys. Must be the oil the fries are cooked in and the freshness of the burgers.

Tbh fish and chips is filling as fuck.

Mostly I don’t eat out anymore. Except if we are on holiday or short of time.
It’s too expensive.

99% of the time home cooked is better than fast food. Just occasionally I want a dirty burger.

But before when I used to eat it a lot I felt sluggish and just depressed.
Eating it every so often is nice but all the time I could t do it anymore.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
For people with addictive personalities sometimes the only solution is to become addicted to exercise.
I’m trying to do this.

Plus Huberman said to become addicted to the process not the results. And tbh I always looked to the results before. So this makes sense.
Also if this is a troll thread
Why?

Ok but if this is a cry for help wrapped in a troll thread. We got you. Let’s do this. You got this.

Got You Fist Bump GIF by StickerGiant

Last edited:

GeekyDad

...You know the easiest way to stop eating junk food is actually eating delicious food that are suprisingly healthy. Lots of healthy food are delicious nowadays. At the very least, home cooked food.

It's not as easy perhaps as that, but I agree, I think this is going to truly be the best option. It was for me, anyway. But it will likely still be a challenge. Though I rarely eat out, let alone that drive-thru poison, it's still easy to buy crap from the supermarket.

But find stuff that can help ease you in. Grab a package of boneless chicken thighs, for instance. Still nice and fatty, but you can dress it simply without all the insane condiments a fast-food place adds. Make an oat bread using bananas and dried fruit (raisins, dates) to sweeten. Plus, the process of making your own food is very rewarding. The time it takes to make it allows for regulating states where you can clear your thoughts.

Lastly, though so many folks still seem to write it off as conspiracy silliness, food manufacturers -- whether it be fast food or store bought -- focus on making their products literally addictive, even without unnatural ingredients. Chemists can tinker with that shit until it's a perfect cocktail that gets people hooked. Be mindful of that first.

/my two cents worth

jufonuk

not tag worthy
In sure there are a lot of videos on how to make your own McDonald’s style food. On YouTube. In sure if you spent the amount of two meals at mcdo. You could make your own stuff multiple times and it would be healthier

Yoboman

At your weight

Drink lots of water
Go for a daily walk
Swap one meal a day for salad and protein
Cut out the obvious crap at other meals (fries, chips, sweets, soda)

The weight will melt right off

Set a goal (90 days) and stick to it
Reward for a week when you complete it (don't go too crazy) then start another 90 days

Make it harder as you get momentum

Last edited:
Drink more coffee (without sugar). It boosts your metabolism and suppresses your appetite.

Eat nothing after your evening meal.

If you must snack during the day, have something from the following meal to balance it out.

Avoid ‘sugar free’ soft drinks - they do something to the way your body deals with sugar.

If you have a big meal, try to have it earlier in the day.

Exercise is a terrible way to lose weight - one mars bar is like an hour’s workout alone. Exercise is only good for keeping fit and toning.

Last edited:
Top Bottom