• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I can't believe online games launch without matchmaking/drop in co-op

cormack12

Gold Member
Take two examples which I think the lack of matchmaking actually hurts. Is there any point to this? At all. The lack of matchmaking/drop in immdiately turns me off the game completely. I'm not against certain modes being gated behind friends list (like specific co-op etc.) but if your game is meant to be multiplayer and allow online play then there is no good reason to not include it. You can even lock the game mode behind a parental control in the likes of Minecraft.

Minecraft dungeons
IS THERE ONLINE MATCHMAKING? No. Minecraft Dungeons is designed to be played together with your friends – either on a comfy couch or in a comfy online session

Godfall
Probably the most egregious example of a decision that completely wipes out a lot of potential players when they find out they have to persuade friends to take a chance on the game or play solo. For this reason alone, D:AS will probably do a lot better.

Wasteland 3.

Co-op online, not split screen. Wut?

I hope that's because split-screen would be too taxing on the X1's and that there's a patch for the XS's

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Minecraft Dungeons, Halo: MC collection not having cross-play suck ass and MS should get some flak for that.

SCB3

Halo: MC collection not having cross-play

That just got added actually

The most infuriating one is Destiny where some activities have it and yet the harder difficulties and some other ones that you think would have MM don't

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
I think it depends on the type of game/gameplay

WoW Classic is a prime example of let your players build the stories
Nidhogg is great for couch vs, but online it's just eh
Etc etc

Personally, I think matchmaking only really has room for arcade/arena type games; as annoying as it can be for some people, I really do enjoy just sitting in a global chat or something of the sort just shouting for a group to play with

Minecraft Dungeons, Halo: MC collection not having cross-play suck ass and MS should get some flak for that.
Halo: MC Collection I hear you on, but those ports were such shit I wouldn't even want to think about layering cross-play issues into allllll the previous ones

But minecraft dungeons of all things??

That just got added actually

The most infuriating one is Destiny where some activities have it and yet the harder difficulties and some other ones that you think would have MM don't
I just installed 'Destiny 2 Solo Enabler' which toggles some firewall rules in Windows to block matchmaking from working, so you can play low level strikes and patrols or whatever by yourself. Which is a godsend when you're trying to do some lame quest where teammates can screw your progress by killing the enemies you need to farm. And it actually makes a normal strike fairly fun and challenging in a way that having a full fireteam in low level content never does.

For most of the high level content they don't have matchmaking for, it makes zero sense. They could lock it to a certain minimum light level. They could force some kind of solo content as a prerequisite to prove players queuing understand and can handle the mechanics and general difficulty. I kind of get it with the raids just because that's a huge time commitment for 6 people who have never played together, but literally everything else? C'mon man.

SCB3

I just installed 'Destiny 2 Solo Enabler' which toggles some firewall rules in Windows to block matchmaking from working, so you can play low level strikes and patrols or whatever by yourself. Which is a godsend when you're trying to do some lame quest where teammates can screw your progress by killing the enemies you need to farm. And it actually makes a normal strike fairly fun and challenging in a way that having a full fireteam in low level content never does.

For most of the high level content they don't have matchmaking for, it makes zero sense. They could lock it to a certain minimum light level. They could force some kind of solo content as a prerequisite to prove players queuing understand and can handle the mechanics and general difficulty. I kind of get it with the raids just because that's a huge time commitment for 6 people who have never played together, but literally everything else? C'mon man.

I agree, the Strike solo stuff is a failure of game Design on Bungies part on relying on Bounties to level up (the game gets so much more fun once you get there per season)

I've always liked the idea of Strike-Raids, like the Mengerie/Sun Dial was, a 6 man activity thats like a Raid but easier

Top Bottom