• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I’m so sick of the current day multiplayer experiences

Rikoi

Well you sure got difficult tastes.
No microtransactions, no optional skins, no colorful graphics, no competitive.
I agree, there is not much left if you remove them all.

The issue is the players themselves ask for all these things to be put into the game, except the colored graphics that is an art style.

You're pining for the 'raw mature adult' glory days of... online console gaming?

I mean I get you're not into cartoony aesthetics, I'm not either.

You complain about unlocks but liked Titanfall 2 which was COD4 style unlocks, and Battlefield 4 which was super grindy unlocks paired with "shortcut packs" for sale.

What's wrong with esports?

Tastes change unfortunately. I have been watching a lot of Quake Champions, and although that game isnt perfect, it harks back to an age of fast combat, constant action, and rocking music. A lot of multiplayer stuff these days are crap, or cartoony kids shit. Cancer really.
multiplayer games sucks these days to the point that I miss Unreal Tournament 3 😂😂😂😂😂.

Abear21

Banned
My problem is, being older as many of us are, I still love Team Deathmatch and while Battle Royale is fun the trend that every game since Pubg has it is annoying.

Battlefield is a great game still, but the last two I’ve only enjoyed Conquest. This mode is so hit or miss, sorry for the bad pun. Most matches are landslides and take 45 minutes.

COD used to be about unlocking weapon upgrades and unique call signs and now it’s about buying that pass to get the good shit. TTK is so short in Modern Warfare and many maps are the size of my apartment. Just not fun most of the time with no strategy needed, just get shot in the back or shoot someone in the back. BTW my KD is over 1.2, so yeah I’m not great but I hold my own.

Apex, Fortnite, and every other focused BR game I’m not into.

Destiny is grind to win. If you don’t log on and stay playing you get left behind. I tried to pick it up after a while and everyone had the one shot kill handgun but me. Not fun.

So yes OP, I agree there is still room in this crowded space for a regular shooter without wall running, BR focus, or a seasons pass or crazy grinding that divides the games players.

The last great multiplayer shooter IMO was Battlefield 4. Again, Maps made for conquest and this was the best mode of course, but the maps were SO good.

Last great Tram Deathmatch focused game was Modern Warfare 2.
It’s been a bunch of absolute shit the last few years.

***Disclaimer I’m console only!***

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
100% this.

I know why I am still playing BC 2 on BC ( :goog_cool: ), it's still just so good even in 720p. Nothing comes close for me. Even tho, when doing my job, I play Quake III Arena on my breaks. MP games are mostly shit nowadays, even new Battlefields. Technically way better than before, but still far worse than before.

• Strength
Reactions: GHG

Phase

GaaS killed multiplayer, it became about everything else surrounding the game other than the game itself.
This is the exact problem. MP games used to emphasize gameplay/mechanics which leads to a focused experience, now it's anything but. There are games out there, like Diabotical, but even that is going to be free to play.

I'm still waiting for a game like Tribes again.

Last edited:
Whenever I want to remind myself why I don’t play competitive multiplayer games I boot up rainbow six siege and play quick match

if I’m feeling extra depressed I jump on search and destroy on modern warfare

Hunt
Insurgency
EFT
Hell let loose

These will all grow you a pair, those causal FTP shooters will make you wear a skirt.
Why you listing mostly PC games? OP craves those classic mature adult multiplayer experiences that consoles provided. I still don't know what they are aside from SOCOM (I guess?) but that's what he wants god dammit.

Why you listing mostly PC games? OP craves those classic mature adult multiplayer experiences that consoles provided. I still don't know what they are aside from SOCOM (I guess?) but that's what he wants god dammit.
If that's what he wants then he really should just buy a pc. No point wishing something is what it isn't. I made the switch from Switch to PC recently because I identified that the games I mainly enjoyed on the Switch were ports of pc games anyway.

L O L GAAS helped games like R6S live, improve AND thrive after it's very rocky launch, you don't have to buy skins etc they're just skins, it also helped it's balance.

I guess there's no helping someone when they lack taste :messenger_winking_tongue:.

Last edited:

II_JumPeR_I

Im in the same board.
Im tired of this super duper competitive esport ready focus a lot of games go for. Halo Infinite has that shit too... hell 343 always brags about their pro Team yadayada...

And dont get me started how shit like Skill Based Matchmaking ruined a lot of former casual play for fun games like CoD. Every match turns into a MLG 10k tournament nowadays. And its not just CoD that suffers from this.
Apex is another example. There is no difference between unranked and ranked anymore in that game because of SBMM.

Im in the same board.
Im tired of this super duper competitive esport ready focus a lot of games go for. Halo Infinite has that shit too... hell 343 always brags about their pro Team yadayada...

And dont get me started how shit like Skill Based Matchmaking ruined a lot of former casual play for fun games like CoD. Every match turns into a MLG 10k tournament nowadays. And its not just CoD that suffers from this.
Apex is another example. There is no difference between unranked and ranked anymore in that game because of SBMM.
What's SBMM? I see that a lot.

Also what's wrong with eSports?

Edit, just googled it. Skill based match making. How is that anything but a good thing?

Edit 2- googled again and it's because in casual mode you can't just chill and beast on noobs. Well boo hoo. It gives a better casual mode for the players that aren't great (like me). Give me a break with complaints like that, I swear people will complain about anything.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
As an almost exclusively online multiplayer I disagree.

Halo 5s arena mode was amazing. Completely pure just player vs player, skill wins.

Same with PUBG.

Sorc3r3r

I want Warhawk back.

lftF8E7.jpg

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
L O L GAAS helped games like R6S live, improve AND thrive after it's very rocky launch, you don't have to buy skins etc they're just skins, it also helped it's balance.

I guess there's no helping someone when they lack taste :messenger_winking_tongue:.

Sure, let's get to that conclusion by taking the only good GaaS game as an example. Siege is literally the only game that doesn't force you to grind for years to get stuff.

Insurgency is a great game, I highly recommend it.

I really wanted this game, but the performance issues made me skip it. Tried it in a trial weekend, but had occasional stuttering etc on a high end pc. That was the only thing holding me back from purchase.

Sure, let's get to that conclusion by taking the only good GaaS game as an example. Siege is literally the only game that doesn't force you to grind for years to get stuff.
Overwatch? For Honor? SFV/T7? GT Sport? Every multiplayer game benefited from the GAAS model except stufflike CoD and Fifa which live by it's annual releases.

Spending money is an optional thing, for example i want to enjoy SFV/T7 recent patchs with VS2 and new wallcarry moves but I've no interest in Gill/Seth/Leroy i can get that without spending a single cent! You can't say that stuff last gen when you HAD to GET SSFIV/AE2012/USIV.

lpking2005

Neo Member
I'm going to get some hate for this but what who cares...
I felt exactly the same way and after jumping into Fallout 76 about 6 months after its disastrous launch, I have never looked back!

Playing with friends in that world is so much fun and the time fly's by.
It's such a laid back experience.
The community is fantastic and is a big reason I stick around.

I'm still finding out new things about the game all the time and the content they keep adding is pretty good.

The potential of that game is huge.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I'm an older gamer doing this hobby since I was a child, and I still have to admit that I love the items in f.ex. the Modern Warfare store, and have spent plenty of money on such. They are generally so well crafted. Also I like the variety of the modes and maps in the game compared to the old-school mp games I remember.

WITH THAT SAID (the following might be off-topic though); The absolute worst multiplayer experiences I've ever had has been in the Ground War mode in the same game. It might even possibly be the worst "entertainment experience" I've had period, holy shit it can be so head-spinning bad.

Last edited:
In terms of community, I remember the days before party chat, was pretty brutal in terms of abuse to say the least with a lot of games.

Top Bottom